Adrian Peterson "im still the best"

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the idea is to find someone who is not just old but at one time was actually a great player . :D

I liked Lynn ****ey but he was hardly a superstar.

That being the case, I'm taking Jim Brown over Adrian Peterson......

Barry Sanders also. In addition to being a great runner, he was low maintenance, and smart enough to retire on top.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had Barry on top of the list until Peterson's 2100 yard season coming off the destroyed knee. That was nothing short of super human. He was busting out 70yarders 2 -3 times a game it seemed. Literally making the modern NFL look like junior varsity.

Barry was the best at what he did. But the high end speed was always a problem. AP had 4.3 speed even after the knee.

So... I really don't understand how everyone can act so sure..... that guy is still a first ballot hof. Had a great half season going for AZ last year until the neck injury. And AZ was just as broken as Greenbay offense was... there's plenty of reason to see how circumstance hurt him more than his actual ability.

I like him as an bar setter .he is historically the hardest worker out there. And he will be working double time playing for #12..... That chiz is contagious...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynn ****ey was probably better than most give him credit for.
Great passer. Poor pressure-escape-ability. I will say, he was the easiest QB to sack in NFL history. I recall defenders swatting at him and only getting finger tips on him would cause him to immediately drop into a defensive clump. Not exaggerating. The guy was afraid to take a hit.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I had Barry on top of the list until Peterson's 2100 yard season coming off the destroyed knee. That was nothing short of super human. He was busting out 70yarders 2 -3 times a game it seemed. Literally making the modern NFL look like junior varsity.

Barry was the best at what he did. But the high end speed was always a problem. AP had 4.3 speed even after the knee.

So... I really don't understand how everyone can act so sure..... that guy is still a first ballot hof. Had a great half season going for AZ last year until the neck injury. And AZ was just as broken as Greenbay offense was... there's plenty of reason to see how circumstance hurt him more than his actual ability.

I like him as an bar setter .he is historically the hardest worker out there. And he will be working double time playing for #12..... That chiz is contagious...

At times, Peterson wasn't even the best running back in the NFL during his career, let alone in the history of the league.

And Peterson had a great couple of games with Arizona in the 2nd half, but he did not have a great second half overall. You're still talking about 3.5 YPC in his 6 starts with the Cardinals, plus 2 fumbles to go with his 2 touchdowns despite his bigger showings against TB and SF.

D

Deleted member 6794

I liked Lynn ****ey but he was hardly a superstar.

****ey wasn't a superstar but definitely a good quarterback. He still ranks second in franchise history in single season passing yards with 4,458 in 1983.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
****ey wasn't a superstar but definitely a good quarterback. He still ranks second in franchise history in single season passing yards with 4,458 in 1983.
Chucking it down field to James Lofton would make Hundley look good. But I agree that ****ey was a good QB with a decent supporting cast and absolutely no defense.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.. and keep in mind that he set that record when very few QBs had ever passed for over 4000 yards .... Dan Fouts is the only other one from that period I can think of.

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when another Wisconsin sports team, the Milwaukee Bucks, traded a talented young guard (Quinn Buckner) to the Boston Celtics for an aging Dave Cowens. Cowens had been a great player over the years for Boston, and the Bucks fell in love with the memory of who he was. I believe that is what's going on here.

Peterson was great - Now he's reduced to trying to convince people he can still play. It's over, let it go.......

Wisconsin has a basketball team, that’s right! Totally forgot about them!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At times, Peterson wasn't even the best running back in the NFL during his career, let alone in the history of the league.

Peterson falls in somewhere behind James Brown, Barry Sanders, Jim Taylor, Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, Eric ****erson, Bo Jackson and Emmitt Smith.

D

Deleted member 6794

Chucking it down field to James Lofton would make Hundley look good. But I agree that ****ey was a good QB with a decent supporting cast and absolutely no defense.

While that's definitely the general perception arpund Green Bay it's an interesting to note that the Packers ranked only 21st out of 28 teams in points scored during ****ey's tenure with the team while the defense allowed the 16th most points over that period.

Agreed.. and keep in mind that he set that record when very few QBs had ever passed for over 4000 yards .... Dan Fouts is the only other one from that period I can think of.

Only Dan Marino, Dan Fouts (twice) and Neil Lomax threw for more yards in a season from 1976-85 than ****ey did in '83.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I really wanted to say "yeah but our starting RB for most of the season was Gerry Ellis" but he didn't have that bad of a year. Not a lot of rushing yards for your leading rusher but a 4.9 YPC (but only 14 games started) and another 600 yards tacked on receiving.

Of course when you have Lofton, Jefferson and Coffman why wouldn't you throw the ball a lot. And no question ****ey was pretty darn good at throwing the ball.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wisconsin has a basketball team, that’s right! Totally forgot about them!

I never was a basketball fan but I do remember that combo of Buckner, Bridgeman, Johnson and Moncrief. I paid a little more attention back then than I do now. I didn't even know the Bucks made the playoffs this year until a friend told me she missed the Brewers game because the Bucks game 5 or 6 preempted it on the station she watched it on.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say much for Jim Brown, or any one before 1989 for that matter... but in my opinion, it's hard to compare him/them to someone like Peterson. Jim Brown was playing against the old school. Peterson played in the modern NFL. Kids seemed to be groomed from birth to play in the NFL now days.

I did see E. Smith his whole career. And I seen Barry his whole career. (LT is in the conversation but a step behind imo.)I can say without hesitation that I would pick Barry first... until Peterson's 2100 yd season.
If I was looking at this like they all were still in their prime, I would pick Peterson over Barry. Peterson could run through LBs and past fast CBs. The guy was unstoppable... Barry was too ,in his own way....Barry was a pure professional too...
You could say retirement after rushing for 2000 yard season is unheard of... equally as unheard of as a 2100 yd season after blowing an acl and mcl, Basicly turning his knee inside-out...?
It could be said that both players were the offensive game plan too. No qb left them facing 8 man fronts, where Smith has aikman/Irvin besides that huge oline...

Anyways. Barry and Peterson are 1a,1b imo. Pick your poison. I pick Peterson.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the arguments against Smith since he ran behind that crazy big Dallas line, but I still think you have to give the career rushing leader some respect lol.

He was good, no doubt. One of the greatest? I don’t agree.

He was a byproduct of an era where teams ran the ball a ton, and had durability and longevity at a position that doesn’t see much of that. He wasn’t even ever the best RB during his career.

The guy played 15 years and had 3 years with a YPC of 4.4 or higher. 3 years. Compare that to the truly great RB’s, and you can see where he suffers. And this was playing with a great OL and a good offense! He certainly was a good RB. I don’t consider him an all-time great though, dude just had a ton of carries.

I’d take a guy like Marshall Faulk over Smith any day.

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say much for Jim Brown, or any one before 1989 for that matter... but in my opinion, it's hard to compare him/them to someone like Peterson. Jim Brown was playing against the old school. Peterson played in the modern NFL. Kids seemed to be groomed from birth to play in the NFL now days.

I did see E. Smith his whole career. And I seen Barry his whole career. (LT is in the conversation but a step behind imo.)I can say without hesitation that I would pick Barry first... until Peterson's 2100 yd season.
If I was looking at this like they all were still in their prime, I would pick Peterson over Barry. Peterson could run through LBs and past fast CBs. The guy was unstoppable... Barry was too ,in his own way....Barry was a pure professional too...
You could say retirement after rushing for 2000 yard season is unheard of... equally as unheard of as a 2100 yd season after blowing an acl and mcl, Basicly turning his knee inside-out...?
It could be said that both players were the offensive game plan too. No qb left them facing 8 man fronts, where Smith has aikman/Irvin besides that huge oline...

Anyways. Barry and Peterson are 1a,1b imo. Pick your poison. I pick Peterson.
I vote Barry, Peterson had a better team around him as a whole. Barry had NOTHING but a WR that was worth mentioning. He literally carried that whole team by himself 90% of the time. Peterson could run through LBs sure, but Barry was far more agile and made a LOT of defensive players miss and quite often too. Also, Barry could easily run through most LBs as well, he chose not to most of the time maybe because going through a player will slow down your momentum. When he was playing he would WORKOUT doing 500 LB squats, that man had treetrunks for quads.
As far as Emmitt, he was a great RB, not best of all time not by a long shot though. Surrounded by talent makes the job easier. So, HoF? Yes without a doubt, best ever? No.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I vote Barry, Peterson had a better team around him as a whole. Barry had NOTHING but a WR that was worth mentioning. He literally carried that whole team by himself 90% of the time. Peterson could run through LBs sure, but Barry was far more agile and made a LOT of defensive players miss and quite often too. Also, Barry could easily run through most LBs as well, he chose not to most of the time maybe because going through a player will slow down your momentum. When he was playing he would WORKOUT doing 500 LB squats, that man had treetrunks for quads.
As far as Emmitt, he was a great RB, not best of all time not by a long shot though. Surrounded by talent makes the job easier. So, HoF? Yes without a doubt, best ever? No.
Sanders was a great player and an even better human being. Cant help but cheer for the guy. But there is a reason the Lioms never did much with him. He danced around too much looking for the big play. Although he would break a couple each week that made great highlights on ESPN, he would also have a dozen 0 or -2 yard runs that would kill drives. Give me a LT, Jim Brown, or ****erson who picked up at least 3 yds most plays. Better chance to win games.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are so many all time greats, it's hard to choose. But for me, there are two positions locked up. At QB- Johnny Unitas. And at RB- Jim Brown.