Aaron Jones

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think McCarthy wanted to "ease him back" or make him earn more snaps or whatever, but he's the best runner they have and far and away the most likely guy of the three to break a big play. They have to give him more touches.

D

Deleted member 6794

The guy avg 7 per so only give him 7 shots smh

With the Packers playing from behind for the entire game it's unrealistic to expect to run the ball more often. Jones will definitely get more snaps going forward if he continues to perform that way.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones needs to get lots of carries going forward. He's a really IMPACTFUL player every time he touches the football.

Then use Montgomery as a RECEIVER. The Packers are wasting his talent right now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then use Montgomery as a RECEIVER. The Packers are wasting his talent right now.

Montgomery fully committed to being a running back several offseasons ago. While he should be used as a receiver out of the backfield more often there's no reason to have him change positions again as he wasn't that great of a WR to begin with.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery fully committed to being a running back several offseasons ago. While he should be used as a receiver out of the backfield more often there's no reason to have him change positions again as he wasn't that great of a WR to begin with.
You don't think he's a better receiver than running back? Not to mention, with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams, there is no need for him at running back. I don't believe handing the ball off to Montgomery a couple times a game is properly using his talent. The passing game has not been anything to brag about thus far, so I believe he could provide a boost.

It doesn't matter that he fully committed to running back. If something isn't working out like they planned, it's better to make a change for the better.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He showed some promise but could never stay on the field? Perhaps the hard cutting was too much for him?

D

Deleted member 6794

You don't think he's a better receiver than running back? Not to mention, with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams, there is no need for him at running back. I don't believe handing the ball off to Montgomery a couple times a game is properly using his talent. The passing game has not been anything to brag about thus far, so I believe he could provide a boost.

It doesn't matter that he fully committed to running back. If something isn't working out like they planned, it's better to make a change for the better.

At this point in his career Montgomery is a better running back than receiver. While I agree he should currently be third on the depth chart at the position there is no need to move him back to receiver with Adams, Cobb, Allison and the rookies on the roster.

BTW it definitely matters that he fully committed to playing running back as he has added weight to better absorb the punishment, resulting in his agility to line up at receiver receding because of it.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point in his career Montgomery is a better running back than receiver. While I agree he should currently be third on the depth chart at the position there is no need to move him back to receiver with Adams, Cobb, Allison and the rookies on the roster.

BTW it definitely matters that he fully committed to playing running back as he has added weight to better absorb the punishment, resulting in his agility to line up at receiver receding because of it.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see much potential for Montgomery at running back. He has never impressed much at the position. I can agree that they should at the very least use him more out of the backfield.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

And it's probably moot because this is his last season and I can't see them spending to bring him back unless he has no market.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How many snaps did Jones get altogether? I felt like it was more about him just not being on the field.

He's probably going to continue to get outsnapped by Williams because of pass protection, but that's fine. If he can go from ~25% to ~40%, and 7 carries to ~15, it's going to help the offense.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers playing from behind for the entire game it's unrealistic to expect to run the ball more often. Jones will definitely get more snaps going forward if he continues to perform that way.
I disagree if we run Jones more we had a good chance to win.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is too much context lost to make blanket statements. we were down big a long time. sticking to the running game with Rodgers as your QB is going to get you beat far more often then letting him throw. So there's that. besides that, adding context, i was saying the same thing. in fact in the midst of our mini start to a mini comeback we got a stop and I texted my buddy, "now run the ****ing ball and get ahead of the chains to build the play action" then we we did on first down to the left side of the line for about a 2-3 yard loss LOL. Should we have lined up to run it again? Down by a couple possessions and now 2nd and 13 or so. Calls for more runs right? Sometimes the flow of the games requires you don't run again. Not if you want good chance.

I do agree, I 'd like to see more balance, but sometimes there's a reason for such a discrepancy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's probably going to continue to get outsnapped by Williams because of pass protection, but that's fine. If he can go from ~25% to ~40%, and 7 carries to ~15, it's going to help the offense.
I fully expect Jones to get more and more. This coaching staff has a habit of making people earn snaps, and coming off a mostly injured training camp and then a 2 game suspension, I can't say i'm going to get on them too hard for keeping his snaps down the first game back. He was running hard, but he looked gassed after 2 runs. Plus he has to "pay" for his not being there for the team int he first place because of his suspension. It's not a philosophy i find fault in. But I expect that in 2 weeks time, it's going to be him and Williams with probably a 60-40 split with the nod going to Williams because he's more rounded and no slouch himself

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We have seen the Packers switch to a team that tries to rely on running the ball during injuries to Rodgers where he wasn't in the game or was hobbled. For the most part, it hasn't been effective enough to sustain the offense. Not sure how someone can conclude from the game on Sunday that we need to run the ball more. As stated by others, Washington wasn't worried about our run game, thus we had some easy yards rushing the ball. Change our pass first mentality to a run more and I don't see it being successful. The Packer run games feeds off the success of the Pass game, not vice versa.

Eddie Rangel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m glad we finally got to see a passionate Mccarthey after that roughing the passer call, but he needs to channel that passion into playing Aaron Jones.

He converted Ty from a WR to a RB because having a running game is important! Especially when you have 1 of the best QB’s to ever play the game. Jones should be the lead back with Williams and TY as the compliments.

D

Deleted member 6794

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see much potential for Montgomery at running back. He has never impressed much at the position. I can agree that they should at the very least use him more out of the backfield.

Montgomery was pretty impressive when he first moved to running back in 2016 but unfortunately regressed for sone reason since.

And it's probably moot because this is his last season and I can't see them spending to bring him back unless he has no market.

It's possible the Packers don't bring Montgomery back even if no other team is interested in him.

As Sunshine has posted before Williams isn't used in pass protection a lot of times (17 snaps over the first three games).

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why doesn't MM get creative and scheme some formations and plays that include 2 of our RBs on the field at the same time? I've never understood this? What is a defense to do if Rodgers comes out in pistol and Aaron Jones is to his right, and Ty is behind him!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why doesn't MM get creative and scheme some formations and plays that include 2 of our RBs on the field at the same time? I've never understood this? What is a defense to do if Rodgers comes out in pistol and Aaron Jones is to his right, and Ty is behind him!

What they would do is bring another defender into the box. I’m not sure I see what special difficulties this would cause for a defense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Another defender in the box means less defenders in coverage.. and we have Aaron Rodgers...

It actually doesn't mean that. It just means that whoever has coverage responsibilities for the running backs comes into the box because the running backs are in the backfield.

If a safety is responsible for Ty and a linebacker responsible for Aaron and you put them both in the backfield, then that safety and that linebacker will come down into the box. You haven't actually taken a defender out of the coverage equation; they've just followed their assignments.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, this is all true but with scheme and playcalling you can open up things for Rodgers to audible too. Motion the RBs see if they're in man coverage with a backer. Play action to get the extra defender to bite, for even just a second and Rodgers can make a throw.
I'm just saying, our offense is stale and predictable, and we have these 3 pieces in the backfield and I just feel like more things could be done.

Then again, I'm a fan, not a coach so I'm probably way way wrong.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah, this is all true but with scheme and playcalling you can open up things for Rodgers to audible too. Motion the RBs see if they're in man coverage with a backer. Play action to get the extra defender to bite, for even just a second and Rodgers can make a throw.
I'm just saying, our offense is stale and predictable, and we have these 3 pieces in the backfield and I just feel like more things could be done.

Then again, I'm a fan, not a coach so I'm probably way way wrong.

There's no doubt that backfield action/motion can be used to learn information about coverage, and the Packers do use it that way. I'm sure you're right that there could be more creativity in the offense to open up easier throws. The Rams and Chiefs are currently demonstrating that most NFL teams aren't as creative as it's possible to be. And the Patriots use backfield motion creatively to open up matchup problems. So if your point is that the offensive scheme could employ more creatively, I definitely agree with you.

At the same time, the offensive scheme against Washington was more than adequate. Execution was the problem. Drops, fumbles, Rodgers not seeing the field or not delivering the ball well (knee related, I'm sure). I think the offense as it currently exists is more than capable of being part of a championship run-- the players just need to execute it.

Members online

Latest posts