Aaron Jones

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like C.J. Anderson. He was projected prior to the season to do well in Carolina. But then he gained oh I dunno, 50 lbs? He was a 1,000 yard runner in Denver and he's 27. Probably still has some value, but I don't think that he'd present an upgrade in GB. My guess is he is gonna stay in LA as a good backup to Gurley.

Speaking of Gurley, he was obviously injured. My guess is they've maintained their position because if they lied about his injury initially wouldn't they get fined?

Reaction score
Here's the highlight reel for Jacobs:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He's as good a pass catcher as there will be at the RB position in this draft. I'd take him at 30 if he impresses at the combine. If we go that route, I'd prefer OLB at 12 and then going hard at the Oline days 2 and 3.
Let me begin by saying I think a guy like Jacobs along with two solid OL additions would change the complexity of our Offense. My position changes from time to time as far as with which pick to select a RB.
It makes sense that the higher the value pick in the draft (#12 overall etc..) the bigger the disperity in needing to go strictly leaning BAP. But as the board empties that disparity empties and balances BAP with greatest position need.
With that in mind, In my limited research it appears Jacob is not BAP at #12. He probably goes higher than usual simply because of the lack of choices for an elite RB at the top. I see him as a top #25 pick that likely goes top #20. I just think there’s likely going to be several other choices at #12 more worthy of that selection.
Hands down if he’s there at #30? I’m all over him and at #44 it’s a no brainer.

Guys like him are one of the reasons I wouldn’t mind recreating a move like Gute did in the 2018 draft. Trading back n forth. Except instead of a future 1st rounder using that leverage to move back inside #20 twice. We’d likely have 2 very solid picks in the top #15-#20 range overall without losing a 2nd day pick.
That’s the “honey hole” in 2019 IMO and it’s my belief that’s the only way we get a legitimate shot at the top valued weapon at OL, WR, TE or RB as our second choice.
It is my belief we still get an incredible Defender in the teens and a shot at choosing one of the best rated of at least 2 of the above positions.
By pick #30 the field has likely been picked over and it’s likely the best OL, TE, RB and WR are all off the board.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have 2 bonafied starters
early day 1?

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what reason they played Anderson in the end I highly doubt they would have made it to the SB with Anderson instead of Gurley playing all season long.

Keep counting on late picks to be your running game and be satisfied when its OK. Just don't be complaining if it would take a major improvement to be OK.

I will!

Let's take a look at the top 10 qualified leaders in YPC for this prior year.

1) 5th round
2) UDFA
3) 2nd round
4) UDFA
5) 2nd round
6) UDFA
7) UDFA
8) 1st round
9) 1st round
10) 1st round

It's a pretty mixed bag.

Now if you look at the top 10 total rushing yard leaders in the league, 3 of those teams made the playoffs.

Simply put, the running game does not matter enough to allocate early draft resources in that position, and you can find quality backs in the middle and later rounds.

Reaction score
Now if you look at the top 10 total rushing yard leaders in the league, 3 of those teams made the playoffs.

Simply put, the running game does not matter enough to allocate early draft resources in that position, and you can find quality backs in the middle and later rounds.
What we didn’t account for is a dual or triple threat RB. Having a triple threat RB who can be a factor in the passing game and possibly even the return game. Not even to mention the intangible asset of teams recognizing that dual threat underneath and having to change their Defensive alignment to account for it.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=A

Where did those teams with the upper echelon All-purpose RBs finish in the league? 4 of the top 6 all purpose RBs went playoff bound. 66%!
You’re trying to convince us that the GB Packers would not be any better with any one of the top 5 RBs?? None of which were picked day 3 or UDFA
2018 All Purpose Yardage Production

Leaders: Draft Placing

1. Saquon Barkley. #2 overall
2. Ezekiel Elliott #4 overall
3. Christian McAffrey #7 overall
4. Todd Gurley #10 overall
5. Alvin Kamara 3rd round
6. Tarik Cohen 4th round.

By the way. It’s no mistake 4 of the top 6 most effective RBs were drafted top 10 OVERALL
Only 1 RB listed here was a 3rd day pick (early 3rd day draft pick #119; 6th place..Tarik Cohen

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

As I've posted before, there way too many big holes to fill at rg, edge rusher and slot receiver, for the Packers to spend their higher draft picks on a #2 rb.

Don't forget about the Packers need to improve at safety as well.

The response is exactly in line with the point I’m trying to make. In an effort to try and prove me wrong you picked out a few of the leagues most underperforming #1 RBs who are averaging 3+ yards per carry.
While I appreciate and respect you defending a small group of starters who are underperforming, what you’re not understanding is I personally still expect better for a SB contender (that’s the goal isn’t it?)

Actually your point was that there aren't any #2 running backs in the league averaging less yards per carry than Williams. Me posting a lost of several #1 RBs having worse numbers than him doesn't prove your point.

Once again, it's unrealistic to expect having a true #1 being the backup at any position.

In ddition for those fans advocating for the Packers to use an early rounder on a running back it might be a good idea to read this article or any of the ones linked to in it:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-replaceable-the-story-of-the-2018-nfl-season

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the thing is, we all have our wishes and biases, but what do they matter? There are odds, chances etc, but in the end, Dorsey Levens was a 5th rounder. Mark Tauscher was a 7th rounder, Driver, Bakhtiari , linsley not high picks. KGB or clay Matthews? both good for us for a long time, both very different routes to get here. Raji or Jenkins? different positions, but you get my point. Players can be found all over. We just have to get the right ones. I don't care when they come.

finding 2 good Olinemen in this class will help, finding 1 and a great RB will help, finding a great TE will help, Dl, safety, etc. I think we know this team could use help all over. and I'm not of the mindset that Rodgers is "owed" any draft picks. He is being PAID a **** ton to be great. He should be great even with average around him, he's being paid to. WIlliams and Jones are not scrubs. we have questions at WR because of youth, but Adam's is rather good I'd say. People can't guard him one on one. He is so quick with those first few steps he can go in, out or right past. He alone should be enough if there is just adequate around him to take advantage of when they really try and take him away. Let defenses, it will open up a whole new area of the field to attack in all manners. Graham should be more than good at TE. Sure we have some oline questions but they aren't so bad it should destroy offensive production.

anyway, Even though I have my thoughts on what would be best, and most of that starts up front on both sides of the ball, as long as they find good players I'm ok with whoever they pick. Though I don't really think a RB with a high pick is what this team needs by any means, outside of Barkley being there again for us, I'm probably looking at every other position first as the value will still be there for a lot of other more important positions.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that taking a RB before round 3 doesnt seem desirable as there will be more talented players at other needs of us available, Id definitely use the middle rounds to add offensive skill position talent. We need one each of TE, WR, RB. Id prefer the Packers to draft a true difference maker on defense and the BPA on offense in the first. It could most certainly be the case that Montgomery, Harris or Snell is the BPA in round 3, and adding one of these guys would imo opinion give the Packers a multidimensional offense yet again. Adding a true leg churner would do this offense wonders.

A late round RB on which I am very high is LJ Scott of Michigan State

Reaction score
In ddition for those fans advocating for the Packers to use an early rounder on a running back it might be a good idea to read this article or any of the ones linked to in it:

That article you posted questioning the authenticity of the Giants “Saquon” pick as an example of Questions about his value seems odd to me. Wasn’t he the highest performing rookie in the entire league?? He was voted by the vast majority of experts as “the MVP rookie”.
I’m confused.. Is he not the envy of the rookie class? Are you suggesting that you agree he was a bad move?

Early rounds is vague so let’s not be so general. We know “early rounds” 100% must include more than 1 round due to being plural. I consider “early rounds” day 1 and 2 myself.
So I value your opinion. If if we now know that you absolutely won’t pick RB in rounds 1-2, at which pick (or round, your choice) would you even remotely consider that position worthy for us?

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article you posted questioning the authenticity of the Giants “Saquon” pick as an example of Questions about his value seems odd to me. Wasn’t he the highest performing rookie in the entire league?? He was voted by the vast majority of experts as “the MVP rookie”.
I’m confused.. Is he not the envy of the rookie class? Are you suggesting that you agree he was a bad move?

Early rounds is vague so let’s not be so general. We know “early rounds” 100% must include more than 1 round due to being plural. I consider “early rounds” day 1 and 2 myself.
So I value your opinion. If if we now know that you absolutely won’t pick RB in rounds 1-2, at which pick (or round, your choice) would you even remotely consider that position worthy for GB specifically??

There are a lot of pundits who hated the move for the Giants and would have preferred a QB prospect instead. Darnold vs. Saquan, essentially. Follow Evan Silva on twitter if you want to see someone spit venom about that on the regular.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the word on Elijah Holyfield. One mock I saw has us taking him at #30.

Reaction score
There are a lot of pundits who hated the move for the Giants and would have preferred a QB prospect instead. Darnold vs. Saquan, essentially. Follow Evan Silva on twitter if you want to see someone spit venom about that on the regular.
Gotcha.
Well sure. But it’s Eli.. anyone’s a better value than relying on him to take you to the big dance.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay should fill as many needs as possible in FA and depending on what other needs they have draft the Best available player

D

Deleted member 6794

So I value your opinion. If if we now know that you absolutely won’t pick RB in rounds 1-2, at which pick (or round, your choice) would you even remotely consider that position worthy for us?

There's absolutely no doubt that Barkley had a great rookie season. The point I'm trying to make is that having a great running back didn't result in the Giants getting remotely close to qualifying for the playoffs, winning a total of only five games.

I would be fine with using a day 3 pick on a running back.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt that Barkley had a great rookie season. The point I'm trying to make is that having a great running back didn't result in the Giants getting remotely close to qualifying for the playoffs, winning a total of only five games.

I agree. This team has so many deficiencies that they need to address on the first two day's of the draft, and running back is pretty low on that list. I do believe they need one more to complement the group they have, but that's going to end up being a part-time player.

Edge-rusher, safety, interior offensive line, tight end......All greater needs right now than the running back position.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
While I agree that taking a RB before round 3 doesnt seem desirable as there will be more talented players at other needs of us available, Id definitely use the middle rounds to add offensive skill position talent. We need one each of TE, WR, RB. Id prefer the Packers to draft a true difference maker on defense and the BPA on offense in the first. It could most certainly be the case that Montgomery, Harris or Snell is the BPA in round 3, and adding one of these guys would imo opinion give the Packers a multidimensional offense yet again. Adding a true leg churner would do this offense wonders.

A late round RB on which I am very high is LJ Scott of Michigan State

I'm pretty high on LJ Scott too and actually have him in my mock. He ran behind a horrible line at MSU and he just needs to get healthy.

He has all the attributes of an NFL RB and would push Williams to no 3 which would be a good thing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A great RB can't help a team that sucks. You can't just look at one guy. Barry Sanders never helped the Lions win a SB. Adrian Peterson never helped the vikings win a SB. In retrospect I suppose you could say those teams may have been better served if they hadn't drafted those players but you have to admit with the right talent around them those players would have made a significantly great er contribution.

If we use a day 3 pick on a RB fine, I'm just not going get my hopes up that he is the answer.

I agree. This team has so many deficiencies that they need to address on the first two day's of the draft, and running back is pretty low on that list. I do believe they need one more to complement the group they have, but that's going to end up being a part-time player.

Edge-rusher, safety, interior offensive line, tight end......All greater needs right now than the running back position.

That's the one thing that will keep me from being upset if we don't take a RB early. We are not completely crap at the position and if LaFleur thinks Jones and Williams can carry a big part of the load we don't need that go to guy. That doesn't mean that I am opposed to taking a RB early if the right guy is there. Yes we have bigger needs but doesn't everyone say you shouldn't draft for need.

Not that this is the case this year but you have some fans saying you pass on a once in a generation RB in round 1 to take the 9th best edge rusher just because its a bigger need and you can get decent RBs on day three. That doesn't make sense to me if you are drafting the BPA. Not that I believe anyone drafts strictly BP but its what most fans say is the best strategy.

Reaction score
A great RB can't help a team that sucks. You can't just look at one guy. Barry Sanders never helped the Lions win a SB. Adrian Peterson never helped the vikings win a SB. In retrospect I suppose you could say those teams may have been better served if they hadn't drafted those players but you have to admit with the right talent around them those players would have made a significantly great er contribution.

If we use a day 3 pick on a RB fine, I'm just not going get my hopes up that he is the answer.

That's the one thing that will keep me from being upset if we don't take a RB early. We are not completely crap at the position and if LaFleur thinks Jones and Williams can carry a big part of the load we don't need that go to guy. That doesn't mean that I am opposed to taking a RB early if the right guy is there. Yes we have bigger needs but doesn't everyone say you shouldn't draft for need.

Not that this is the case this year but you have some fans saying you pass on a once in a generation RB in round 1 to take the 9th best edge rusher just because its a bigger need and you can get decent RBs on day three. That doesn't make sense to me if you are drafting the BPA. Not that I believe anyone drafts strictly BP but its what most fans say is the best strategy.
That is exactly what I was thinking.
There seems to be some confusion in here like we’re some sort of mummies moaning the word “Runningback” with our arms out straight.
I’m not so blind that I’m just going to take a RB to take a RB so speak. But as an example.. if we’re at selection #3 (pick #44) on the board and we have the chance to get a guy like Jacobs? Its time to rock n roll.
That goes the same for OL and WR. It’s time to stock the empty Offensive pantry

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’ll just say this and then I’ll let it rest. If RB had little to no value in contemporary professional football the guys I mentioned above would not have been mocked in the early 1st round by nearly every expert in the industry. That wouldn’t make a lick of sense.

I’m ok with a guy like Singleterry or Holyfield early day 3 if they slide. . I’d be content knowing we have someone to push Jamaal. I also want to see Williams continue to be used more in the passing game, he’s very formidable in space. I believe his biggest plays will come in the short passing game and he’s also a good, natural blocker.

PS. Watch G Solomon Kindley #66 the next couple of years. He looks the part to develop into a formidable OG at the next level.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We could have Joe Mixon instead of Kevin King right now.

Once again that ship has sailed. We just had to get that DB.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The player you wanted the most in that draft was Charles Harris.

Everybody gets one wrong sometimes.

With that said, we did get Aaron Jones in that draft, who is more productive per touch than Mixon, but McCarthy just didn't use him well. So we do have a very good RB from the draft. Missing out on Mixon hasn't really hurt us that much.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The player you wanted the most in that draft was Charles Harris.

Everybody gets one wrong sometimes.

With that said, we did get Aaron Jones in that draft, who is more productive per touch than Mixon, but McCarthy just didn't use him well. So we do have a very good RB from the draft. Missing out on Mixon hasn't really hurt us that much.

If you say so. Jones is a change of pace back.

Mixon is way more durable and a better all around player. He is a true bell cow RB. Mixon would have us one player closer to having an elite offense.

Mixon is a true 3 down RB.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It still hurts me every time King is getting tiki torched.. ugh I was all about him...

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes we have bigger needs but doesn't everyone say you shouldn't draft for need.

The Packers would benefit from having an elite running back able to carry the ball 20+ times while being durable. But the team has more pressing needs to address this offseason. I agree that position of need shouldn't be the only factor going into a draft pick but it definitely affects the decision.

I’ll just say this and then I’ll let it rest. If RB had little to no value in contemporary professional football the guys I mentioned above would not have been mocked in the early 1st round by nearly every expert in the industry. That wouldn’t make a lick of sense.

I’m ok with a guy like Singleterry or Holyfield early day 3 if they slide. . I’d be content knowing we have someone to push Jamaal. I also want to see Williams continue to be used more in the passing game, he’s very formidable in space. I believe his biggest plays will come in the short passing game and he’s also a good, natural blocker.

I don't care about experts mock drafts. The Packers don't need to spend an early round pick on a running back, especially not to only move ahead of Williams on the depth chart.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you believe there is a "once in a generation RB" in this draft?

Jacobs? Anderson? Harris?