Aaaand...here we go with injuries again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they said it was the opposite one from what he had offseason surgery on. But I don't know if it's the one going to back to college or not. I'm not getting too excited about a missed practice or 2 in August. But If King isn't ready to go for the opener I am.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. You gotta watch out for those "discrediting" factoids that present a distinction without a difference. :eek:
One person makes an outlandish claim with zero foundation behind it, the other comes in and sets the record straight. :confused:

H

HardRightEdge

One person makes an outlandish claim with zero foundation behind it, the other comes in and sets the record straight. :confused:
Actually, the "correction" was without foundation since it was provided without a link. Did you fact check it? But that's neither here nor there regarding my point.

So, "over 100,000" is an outlandish claim relative to the fact of 90-some thousand, assuming that latter figure is accurate? It's a distinction without a material difference because either way its a very large number.

One could have responded to the various comments saying Family Night was "sellout" even though it clearly was not, "setting the record straight" by noting the reported attendance was some 65,000 whereas Lambeau capacity is 80,000+. But what would be the point other than to be churlish? 65,000 for a 1 1/2 hour practice in a fairly small city is pretty impressive.

Or are you going to correct me by saying it was actually 64,702?

You can "set the record straight" all day long with factoids but if they do not alter the larger point they are gratuitous in making a distinction without a difference. It's kind of a jerky habit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call it what you want. That doesn't matter. What matters is a bunch of guys got injured again. Including Baktiari and first round pick Alexander. Family Night is a farce and should be terminated for the good of the team.

It's a practice. Players get hurt in practice - Ryan was lost for the season during a practice.

You do realize (or perhaps you do not) that if the Packers did not have "Family Night" in front of the fans, they'd just hold another practice anyway. Ergo, canceling Family Night accomplishes nothing, other than depriving a lot of packer fans of an entertaining evening inside Lambeau.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Actually, the "correction" was without foundation since it was provided without a link. Did you fact check it? But that's neither here nor there regarding my point.

So, "over 100,000" is an outlandish claim relative to the fact of 90-some thousand, assuming that latter figure is accurate? It's a distinction without a material difference because either way its a very large number.

One could have responded to the various comments saying Family Night was "sellout" even though it clearly was not, "setting the record straight" by noting the reported attendance was some 65,000 whereas Lambeau capacity is 80,000+. But what would be the point other than to be churlish? 65,000 for a 1 1/2 hour practice in a fairly small city is pretty impressive.

You can "set the record straight" all day long with factoids but if they do not alter the larger point they are gratuitous in making a distinction without a difference. It's kind of a jerky habit.
If someone said that Aaron Rodgers typically throws 50 or more TD passes, and someone else comes in and points out the correction by saying that the most he's thrown in a season is 45, is that a jerky habit? Is that a distinction without a difference? 45 is still a very impressive number, it's still a very large number, why bother correcting someone who's clearly misinformed, or someone who is pulling numbers out of their rear?

Silly me, I'd prefer the facts, as opposed to making stuff up.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That has me absolutely confused. On one hand you dismiss the Packers holding a practice at Lambeau citing the risk of injury as the main reason while on the other you want injured players to toughen up and participate in training camp. Can't have it both ways.
I don’t see anything wrong with Family Night either. It’s a practice, and not even a scrimmage. It benefits charities, the faithful fans, and the young players in particular. I don’t think there is anything to be concerned about with Bakhtiari. I’ve been in CA for the last 18 years and just moved back. It was fun to watch Family Night, and from what I saw, players were being as cautious as they can be in a practice. For those commenters dissing Family Night, sorry, I don’t get it. And the Niners and Raiders don’t do anything like this - I doubt any other teams do. It’s one of those things that makes Packer football special.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers had so many guys watching today in practice due to injuries that the hot tub must be overflowing. Haven't even played one pre season game yet and the injury list is crazy. Players are sitting out to try and not aggrevate "minor" injuries but at some point the huge cumulative loss of practice has to lead to another slow start and inability to garner home field advantage. Looks like traing camp is treated as some type of optional exercise.
Well, all teams have to practice, and that means there will be injuries. If you don’t want injuries, then I guess you don’t want practices. With all due respect, that makes no sense. All teams have players that get injured in camp and during PS games. There is no other way to evaluate talent.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those people who are disabled, or senior citizens on a limited budget the tickets for family night are reasonable, and is the only way a lot of fans across all demographics can get to see the boys in action in their home stadium. If players are getting hurt during practice, that is a.) dumb luck (Bulaga injury a few years back) or b.) lack of conditioning which is a coach player and strength and conditioning team problem. Do not punish fans who don't get a chance to go, do not punish charities just because of what MAY happen, or one freak injury in the past.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like when I first started watching football in the 90s players were hurt less(don’t know the numbers but it seemed that way). Those were the good ol days, tough players, oversized jerseys, beer, bbqs. Now I feel like the players get hurt more, the penalties and rules are getting out of control, and we got political nonsense and sjws at every turn trying to infect the game. Sadly I don’t think football will ever be the same game that I fell in love with, but I’m too invested to quit now lol. Football, like boxing and ufc is just one of those sports where you know the risks and willing to sacrifice your body to play and reap the rewards, it’s not for everyone but they completely understand the violent nature of the game and what it entails. To continue to soften it is going to kill the league imo.
“Make football violent again”

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake Ryan down screaming and holding his knee; looks bad. Kentrell Brice carted off with a leg injury. If this is like other years, maybe we should keep this thread open to keep a running count.
Mike Daniels dropped out of practice as well but was able to walk off the field on his own limping.
Mike Daniels dropped out of practice as well but was able to walk off the field on his own limping.
Heard on ESPN Daniels injury was minor and not expected to be a problem.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well they said it was the opposite one from what he had offseason surgery on. But I don't know if it's the one going to back to college or not. I'm not getting too excited about a missed practice or 2 in August. But If King isn't ready to go for the opener I am.

King once again having to deal with a shoulder issue has me concerned as it seems either doesn't hold up to the rigors of an NFL season.

Actually I think it's a jerky habit to criticize someone for posting facts. It's fine if you're not interested in them but what's the point of replying with a post not contributing anything meaningful to the discussion??? Especially as I wasn't even quoting one of your posts.

I think some of the injuries are do to some of the guys not wanting to practice.

I think that's BS.

Football, like boxing and ufc is just one of those sports where you know the risks and willing to sacrifice your body to play and reap the rewards, it’s not for everyone but they completely understand the violent nature of the game and what it entails. To continue to soften it is going to kill the league imo.

Actually most players didn't know about the risks of playing football back in the good old days. Theleague had to make the game less violent because of the long-term health issues associated with playing football.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I feel like when I first started watching football in the 90s players were hurt less(don’t know the numbers but it seemed that way). Those were the good ol days, tough players, oversized jerseys, beer, bbqs. Now I feel like the players get hurt more, the penalties and rules are getting out of control, and we got political nonsense and sjws at every turn trying to infect the game. Sadly I don’t think football will ever be the same game that I fell in love with, but I’m too invested to quit now lol. Football, like boxing and ufc is just one of those sports where you know the risks and willing to sacrifice your body to play and reap the rewards, it’s not for everyone but they completely understand the violent nature of the game and what it entails. To continue to soften it is going to kill the league imo.
“Make football violent again”

I have to wonder if the uptick in injuries isn't due to the players bodies themselves. Most players today are basically gym rats. They have spent years in the weight and room and doing conditioning exercises, putting muscle, mass and speed on the same frames players had 40 years ago. This has made them bigger, stronger and faster. Logically, that has to put a bigger strain on their joints and connective tissues and thus injuries are occurring more frequently with or without contact. Couple that with the law of physics and the collisions between 2 or more sculpted strong bodies traveling at higher speeds creates more force.

While all of the weights and conditioning may make for better athletes, I think it has made them more susceptible to injuries due to the nature of the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much training, starts too young, never ends. Sure they're bigger faster and stronger and more likely to be in a training room. Just wait, it's going to get worse. The pool of healthy and talented kids is going to get smaller and smaller. The average teenager today that hasn't even gotten to college is woefully underdeveloped and they compete too much. Their skeletons, frames and bodies don't even get a chance to develop properly from all the sitting, and then go play 6 games of baseball on Saturday. Movement patterns and health get worse every year and everyone seems oblivious. Providers speak, parents don't seem to listen and we have coaches that start with a group of girls at age 8 absolutely certain this is the group that is going to get them a state championship if he follows them all the way up and let's nothing penetrate the great 8.

We're just starting to see the first groups of "kids" reach college that were raised all on technology. There will come a day when college and pro scouts will be much better served to go find the country kid who's parents couldn't take time for the insanity of youth sports in America and he had to spend his days doing work or climbing trees to get from getting bored all day and then teach him to play football one day.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and there is some more care being taken with today's athletes, and that is part of all the injury reports and being held out too. Hopefully the days of "get a shot and get back out there" are long gone. right along with "take a handful of these and get out there". I think they do care a bit more about the pro athlete than they used to. which is good i think.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some of the injuries are do to some of the guys not wanting to practice.
You know some people might look at your comment as not serious, but I get it. If they’re not playing loose becasue they’re worrying about getting hurt, then they’re playing “tight” and are more susceptible to an injury. Anyway it’s the most interesting comment I’ve seen posted on this topic. It just seems like human nature to not want to get injured in a practice. An analogy is driving a car. If you’re wound up behind the wheel and trying at all costs not to get in an accident, you’ll probably get in an accident.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and there is some more care being taken with today's athletes, and that is part of all the injury reports and being held out too. Hopefully the days of "get a shot and get back out there" are long gone. right along with "take a handful of these and get out there". I think they do care a bit more about the pro athlete than they used to. which is good i think.
All good points, and I agree, the coaches and team doctors are playing it much more cautiously. But your comment made me recall an old SNL skit where John Belushi was playing Viking coach Bud Grant (a notoriously tough coach who wouldn’t even allow hand warmers). In the skit a player comes off the field with his arm ripped off. Belushi (Grant) says, “”You’re telling me you can’t play hurt? Tape him up!” At which point they put the guy’s arm at his side and run tape all around his body and push him back in the game. (I think the player was actually Fran Tarkenton and was a guest on the show that night.). It was hilarious.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

All very well stated and I totally agree. I would also add that a Pro Football player, especially the top ones are a major investment for a team. Therefore, a team is not going to risk permanent damage to their prized assets, beyond what they need to. Guys like Aaron Rodgers are basically seeing very little real game action during the preseason. The team is willing to trade the value of game reps for his safety. It's rare to see starters used as return guys, why? Not because they can't do it better, but risk of injury. The fear of injury to a player himself is no longer just "how much playing time will this cost me?" but also "How many millions could this cost me?"

Solutions? Really not a lot, besides turning the game into flag football. We see rules protecting players safety and most of these rules are a result of seeing just what happens when 2 big strong bodies collide.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You know some people might look at your comment as not serious, but I get it. If they’re not playing loose becasue they’re worrying about getting hurt, then they’re playing “tight” and are more susceptible to an injury. Anyway it’s the most interesting comment I’ve seen posted on this topic. It just seems like human nature to not want to get injured in a practice. An analogy is driving a car. If you’re wound up behind the wheel and trying at all costs not to get in an accident, you’ll probably get in an accident.

Or not wanting to get injured right before a contract year. Guys on the contract bubble find themselves in a very precarious situation. Do they rest on their past accomplishments and play a bit safe so when it comes to contract time, they are healthy? Or do they put it all on the line, risking injury, by playing as hard and fast as then can? Millions of dollars rest on those decisions and the "luck" of injuries.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All very well stated and I totally agree. I would also add that a Pro Football player, especially the top ones are a major investment for a team. Therefore, a team is not going to risk permanent damage to their prized assets, beyond what they need to. Guys like Aaron Rodgers are basically seeing very little real game action during the preseason. The team is willing to trade the value of game reps for his safety. It's rare to see starters used as return guys, why? Not because they can't do it better, but risk of injury. The fear of injury to a player himself is no longer just "how much playing time will this cost me?" but also "How many millions could this cost me?"

Solutions? Really not a lot, besides turning the game into flag football. We see rules protecting players safety and most of these rules are a result of seeing just what happens when 2 big strong bodies collide.
I like your last comment. Every year, every team sees injuries, no one is immune. I always find it a little laughable that there is a perception that the coaches and trainers can somehow prevent these injuries. Yes, conditioning is important, as is playing smart, and those things are coachable. But football is a violent game, and as you said, two big guys running at each other, sometimes at full speed...... well, something’s gonna give eventually. I am glad for the “concussion protocol” and taking the decision to play or not out of the player’s hands. Long-term, that may actually save some lives given the terror of CTE. But only so much can be done to make the game “safe” without, as you say, turning it into flag football.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or not wanting to get injured right before a contract year. Guys on the contract bubble find themselves in a very precarious situation. Do they rest on their past accomplishments and play a bit safe so when it comes to contract time, they are healthy? Or do they put it all on the line, risking injury, by playing as hard and fast as then can? Millions of dollars rest on those decisions and the "luck" of injuries.
Yeah, and “luck” is the operative word. I think “contract” guys for the most part go all out. It’s after they’ve been awarded a big contract that at least some of them play it safe. I think that was one of the reasons TT wasn’t big on FA, especially for guys in their late 20s.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt it's risky to play hard in a contract year but not performing up to potential could even be more devastating than an injury while being set to become a free agent next offseason.

I think it would be smart for a lot of players to use insurances more often to prevent losing money by getting injured.