Aaaand...here we go with injuries again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yikes. Hey any idea what is up with Cole Madison? I really liked that pick and the O-line always needs quality depth. Thanks.

Hope the best for him, but at this point, he probably wouldn't be that helpful to the Packers and if they had to use one of the 53 to protect him, even less help. Rookies learn a lot in camps and preseason, I have a feeling he has a long way to go before he could be relied on as a backup.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope the best for him, but at this point, he probably wouldn't be that helpful to the Packers and if they had to use one of the 53 to protect him, even less help. Rookies learn a lot in camps and preseason, I have a feeling he has a long way to go before he could be relied on as a backup.
Unfortunately, I agree with your assessment. It seems unlikely a fifth round pick would survive being waived. Otherwise, they could stash him on the PS. But it would be silly for them to put him on the 53 until he’s had a chance to do some work. It seems likely he’ll end up on someone’s PS, just not the Packers...... Hope I’m wrong.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I agree with your assessment. It seems unlikely a fifth round pick would survive being waived. Otherwise, they could stash him on the PS. But it would be silly for them to put him on the 53 until he’s had a chance to do some work. It seems likely he’ll end up on someone’s PS, just not the Packers...... Hope I’m wrong.
I think there are other ways to protect him, maybe "reserved/retired"? Otherwise, I doubt he would be that hard to slide to the PS, he hasn't done anything in the NFL and he wouldn't be the first 5th rounder to safely land on the PS, DeAngelo Yancey did last year for the Packers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are other ways to protect him, maybe "reserved/retired"? Otherwise, I doubt he would be that hard to slide to the PS, he hasn't done anything in the NFL and he wouldn't be the first 5th rounder to safely land on the PS, DeAngelo Yancey did last year for the Packers.
Well, hopefully that’s the case. I’d like to get a look at him, especially with the problems the Pack has had keeping the o-line healthy. A little more depth can’t hurt, even if it comes from the PS. That said, the current o-line looks pretty good, although I think it’s safe to say Spriggs has disappointed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he signed his contract but didn't report. So for now he doest count against anything roster wise. I don't know how it would work if he came back with timing, I just know the Packers retain his rights. Gute did say when he came back a corresponding roster move would t need to happen right away. Is that 3 weeks, 2 days? I have no idea and I couldn't find anything to give more details

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not just Randall, Rollins and King. Don't forget about other secondary picks Jones and HaHa. I'm not ready to call either King, Jones or HaHa a bust, but for first and second round picks, things aren't looking all that great.

With the amount of draft resources the Packers have pumped into the secondary in the last 5 drafts, they should be so much better than they are. Now this year, 2 more picks, I guess see what happens. Losing those resources is bad enough, but when you think about the other 17 or so starting positions that weren't addressed with high picks because of it, it explains why we are seeing cracks/weaknesses at OLB, ILB, OL and WR.
That’s Teds legacy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
he signed his contract but didn't report. So for now he doest count against anything roster wise. I don't know how it would work if he came back with timing, I just know the Packers retain his rights. Gute did say when he came back a corresponding roster move would t need to happen right away. Is that 3 weeks, 2 days? I have no idea and I couldn't find anything to give more details

I would be more concerned, about how to retain his rights, if Cole Madison was a top pick. Not being in camps has set him way back and he was a 5th round pick, I doubt he is even on the radar of another team. If the Packers have to protect him via the PS, shouldn't be difficult to get him there.

For now, The Packers will keep Madison on the “did not report” list until his return. He won’t count against the 90-man or 53-man roster until he’s activated.

D

Deleted member 6794

That said, the current o-line looks pretty good, although I think it’s safe to say Spriggs has disappointed.

The starting offensive line is fine but unfortunately the Packers seem to lack quality depth.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pokerbrat mentioned that the QB he played with committed suicide. That alone would mess with anyone, much less a guy coming out of college into a world that demands total commitment. Much better for him to work through any personal issues he has and come back when he’s ready. Life happens to all of us, and not always at the best of times. I wish him well in whatever he’s dealing with.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The starting offensive line is fine but unfortunately the Packers seem to lack quality depth.
Agree, and lack of depth is a problem given the inevitable injuries that occur. Madison is missed as well. At least the starters look solid. We need to protect #12, and give those young RBs some room to run.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We go through this same scenario every off season lately. You cannot have an experienced starter sitting on the bench behind everyone of your starters. Cap and roster sizes just don't work that way. I now have enough trust in Campen to believe whatever depth that ends up on the 53 will be competent enough in the short term to not be an embarrassment. 2 players on the bench would be enough to qualify as competent depth IMO. The other 2-3 spots are developmental. I don't think more than 7 OL are active unless someone is iffy anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

We go through this same scenario every off season lately. You cannot have an experienced starter sitting on the bench behind everyone of your starters. Cap and roster sizes just don't work that way. I now have enough trust in Campen to believe whatever depth that ends up on the 53 will be competent enough in the short term to not be an embarrassment.

It's true the cap makes it impossible to have a lot of veteran backups already on their second deals on the roster. Therefore it's imperative to fill the roster with as many talented players as possible still on their rookie deals. The Packers took a major blow in that area by Spriggs not developing as expected after using three picks to select him.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll take these injuries with a grain of salt. now if crosby's toe(s) gets injured then i'm hanging it up for the season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We go through this same scenario every off season lately. You cannot have an experienced starter sitting on the bench behind everyone of your starters. Cap and roster sizes just don't work that way. I now have enough trust in Campen to believe whatever depth that ends up on the 53 will be competent enough in the short term to not be an embarrassment. 2 players on the bench would be enough to qualify as competent depth IMO. The other 2-3 spots are developmental. I don't think more than 7 OL are active unless someone is iffy anyway.
Good point Poppa. Every team would like to have solid, talented depth, especially at the line positions. That’s where “cap reality” strikes, meaning a team has to rely on less expensive older veterans or young talent. If anything, it’s harder to decide who the backups should be versus the starters. Depth isn’t just a body, but someone with some talent. Every team faces the same “depth” issue, with some exceptions, so this isn’t unique to the Packers. I don’t have any stats, but think the O line depth has been decent, maybe with the exception of late last year when it seemed everyone was injured or hobbled. It would be nice to carry 14 O linemen. It would be nice to win the lottery too. I think you’re right - have 2 to 3 decent guys on the bench and pray they don’t need to replace someone anytime soon.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don’t have any stats, but think the O line depth has been decent, maybe with the exception of late last year when it seemed everyone was injured or hobbled.

The Packers have had pretty good depth at guard and center over the past few years but have struggled mightily to adequately replace any of the starting tackles.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have had pretty good depth at guard and center over the past few years but have struggled mightily to adequately replace any of the starting tackles.
And it seems like that problem continues. I read today they’re moving Bell to G becasue he can’t handle the T responsibilities. So once it gets beyond Bakhtiari and Bulaga, not much quality depth, and we won’t know how ready Bulaga is until the season starts. Hopefully one or more guys steps up in the last two PS games. But when I look at the list, it seems we’ve seen these guys before..... or am I imagining that? Last comment on the O line - when will the Packers admit Spriggs isn’t going to work out? As far as I can tell, he’s only here becasue he was a #2 pick. If he can’t play, he can’t play.

D

Deleted member 6794

And it seems like that problem continues. I read today they’re moving Bell to G becasue he can’t handle the T responsibilities. So once it gets beyond Bakhtiari and Bulaga, not much quality depth, and we won’t know how ready Bulaga is until the season starts. Hopefully one or more guys steps up in the last two PS games. But when I look at the list, it seems we’ve seen these guys before..... or am I imagining that? Last comment on the O line - when will the Packers admit Spriggs isn’t going to work out? As far as I can tell, he’s only here becasue he was a #2 pick. If he can’t play, he can’t play.

The performance of the backup offensive linemen vs. the Raiders has me terrified of what would happen if even only one starter misses significant time this season.