Aaaand...here we go with injuries again.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't wanna run 4-3. Who do you sit inside in 2019? Martinez, Burks, Ryan, Martini? We have an embarrassment of riches inside why would you want to scheme away from that?

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't wanna run 4-3. Who do you sit inside in 2019? Martinez, Burks, Ryan, Martini? We have an embarrassment of riches inside why would you want to scheme away from that?

I hope this is sarcasm. The 'riches' you state have no guarantee of being on the roster in 2019. We have Martinez and a bunch of hopefuls. That's practically negative depth.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is just a guess, but I think that the most common defensive formation we will see this season will be a nickel with a front that looks like a 3-4 under.

5T———1T——3T————7T(LB)

So that would be like Wilkerson, Clark, Daniels, and Perry or Matthews from left to right.

Then behind them you have Martinez, five DB’s, and someone to fill in a cover LB role.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't care how pass-happy the NFL has become. Having only 1 bona fide off-ball linebacker on the team right now is pretty crazy.

Martinez and the Converted Safeties does not sound like a tune we can all dance to.

Ryan was a plus run defender, and there is no replacement for that skill-set on the current roster that I am aware of.

On the other hand, they were willing to go with only 2 actual off-ball LBs on the squad in the first place, so maybe they know what they are doing. We shall see..

The Packers should be fine as long as Martinez stays healthy, especially as the defensive line might be able to dominate against the run.

Is 4-3 a possibility?

I don't think so as Packers don't have anyone being a natural fit at SAM linebacker on the roster as well as only inexperienced players to line up at WILL. In addition Matthews is most likely a misfit in a 4-3.

We simply don't have the personnel to run a base 4-3. You'd still need at least 2 conventional LBs for your base lineup, and we don't have 'em.

I agree that the Packers don't have the personnel to run a 4-3 base defense but the MIKE is the only conventional linebacker in this formation.

This is just a guess, but I think that the most common defensive formation we will see this season will be a nickel with a front that looks like a 3-4 under.

5T———1T——3T————7T(LB)

So that would be like Wilkerson, Clark, Daniels, and Perry or Matthews from left to right.

While the Packers will most likely use that formation this season the pass rush would definitely benefit by having Matthews and Perry rush from the edge on the majority of snaps. Therefore I would prefer to have both outside linebackers on the field more often.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should be fine as long as Martinez stays healthy, especially as the defensive line might be able to dominate against the run.
I agree, Martinez is very good. But staying healthy is always a concern in the NFL. What are the plans if Martinez loses time to injury? I see Navarro Bowman is available. He’s been injury prone as well, but I’m guessing Glute will give him a hard look. While hope isn’t a strategy, I am hoping Burks can translate his athleticism into on-field production sooner rather than later.

I don't think so as Packers don't have anyone being a natural fit at SAM linebacker on the roster as well as only inexperienced players to line up at WILL. In addition Matthews is most likely a misfit in a 4-3.

I agree that the Packers don't have the personnel to run a 4-3 base defense but the MIKE is the only conventional linebacker in this formation.

While the Packers will most likely use that formation this season the pass rush would definitely benefit by having Matthews and Perry rush from the edge on the majority of snaps. Therefore I would prefer to have both outside linebackers on the field more often.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Family night has often proved to be a big detriment to the ensuing season. Because the Packers can squeeze out another couple of million out of the fans they gladly take the potential and actual serious injuries that threaten the season. Money over winning.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Family night has often proved to be a big detriment to the ensuing season. Because the Packers can squeeze out another couple of million out of the fans they gladly take the potential and actual serious injuries that threaten the season. Money over winning.
It's a regular scheduled practice, just held at Lambeau. Gives players like Kumerow who never saw 70000 people in the stands a chance to experience a game crowd. The awe of the first year players stepping on to the field is now spent in a practice as opposed to a game. They've run out of the tunnel to the roar. The punter has now punted inside Lambeau. Didn't Lambeau get a lighting upgrade/redo this off season? The kick returners have now seen how the lights affect the ball. A good chunk of the gate and parking is given to various charities. A larger than normal portion of the crowd looked to be under 10. It is an investment in the next generation of fans. New concession stand franchisees get a shakedown game to learn how to handle their stands.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I don't know if I would agree with that. Family night is nothing more than a glorified practice, that has lots of hoopla around it to attract fans.

Jake Ryan and several other Packers were injured earlier in camp and that wasn't anything but practicing. Injuries happen and they can happen at anytime.

Personally, I think Family Night is an awesome event. People who otherwise couldn't get or afford tickets to a game, can finally bring their kids and enjoy a game like atmosphere.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Family night isn't any way to squeeze money from fans. The tickets are extremely affordable, many local organizations are then able to set up in Lambeau and run the food and beverage stations to raise money for worthy organizations all over the city. They put on a nice event for families, jersey giveaways, watching the team they love, a great fireworks show etc. I wouldn't care what the financials say, it's not a big money maker, and it's a great way to build a bond with the community.

It is a glorified practice and it puts young guys in a stadium with 70+ thousand fans. Under the lights and I am certain it adds an atmosphere not found in any other practice in any city in the NFL. What's the harm? You think they aren't going to practice otherwise? Practice like you play, it's a saying for a reason. I think this is one unique opportunity for both fans and players. what other city gets to simulate game type conditions in practice? and for 10 bucks and a fireworks show, i doubt it's a money grab.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a regular scheduled practice, just held at Lambeau. Gives players like Kumerow who never saw 70000 people in the stands a chance to experience a game crowd. The awe of the first year players stepping on to the field is now spent in a practice as opposed to a game. They've run out of the tunnel to the roar. The punter has now punted inside Lambeau. Didn't Lambeau get a lighting upgrade/redo this off season? The kick returners have now seen how the lights affect the ball. A good chunk of the gate and parking is given to various charities. A larger than normal portion of the crowd looked to be under 10. It is an investment in the next generation of fans. New concession stand franchisees get a shakedown game to learn how to handle their stands.
I agree with you here Poppa, and thanks for the additional detail. This is a practice that is going to happen anyway, so the injury argument doesn’t apply. I hadn’t thought of the experience the new guys get coming out of the tunnel to tens of thousands of cheering fans. As for the Packers making money off the event, who cares? Anyway thanks for your thoughtful response. I just moved back to WI and never saw Family Night. Even watching on TV, it was impressive and got me even more jazzed for the season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Family night isn't any way to squeeze money from fans. The tickets are extremely affordable, many local organizations are then able to set up in Lambeau and run the food and beverage stations to raise money for worthy organizations all over the city. They put on a nice event for families, jersey giveaways, watching the team they love, a great fireworks show etc. I wouldn't care what the financials say, it's not a big money maker, and it's a great way to build a bond with the community.

It is a glorified practice and it puts young guys in a stadium with 70+ thousand fans. Under the lights and I am certain it adds an atmosphere not found in any other practice in any city in the NFL. What's the harm? You think they aren't going to practice otherwise? Practice like you play, it's a saying for a reason. I think this is one unique opportunity for both fans and players. what other city gets to simulate game type conditions in practice? and for 10 bucks and a fireworks show, i doubt it's a money grab.
I’m surprised people would think Family Night was nothing more than a money grab by the Packers. I just moved back to WI and this was the first Family Night I’ve seen (granted, on TV). I thought it was very well organized and inspiring - for fans, players, and coaches. Just my opinion, but this is one of the many things that makes Green Bay special. And I think a lot of money raised goes to charities. As for the silly injury argument, they’re gonna practice anyway! Geez, after being in Northern CA for 18 years, I can guarantee that the Raiders and Niners don’t do this for their fans.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m surprised people would think Family Night was nothing more than a money grab by the Packers. I just moved back to WI and this was the first Family Night I’ve seen (granted, on TV). I thought it was very well organized and inspiring - for fans, players, and coaches. Just my opinion, but this is one of the many things that makes Green Bay special. And I think a lot of money raised goes to charities. As for the silly injury argument, they’re gonna practice anyway! Geez, after being in Northern CA for 18 years, I can guarantee that the Raiders and Niners don’t do this for their fans.
specifically,

The event will benefit the Wendy’s Wonderful Kids foster care adoption program, a signature program of the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption.

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-preparing-for-family-night-aug-4

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ridiculous and asinine statement.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not to mention Pettine hasn't called a single regular season game yet and 4-3 defenses are vanilla sh*t.

Only injuries I'm concerned with are the OL. That OL is the key to a SB ticket because it is essential to Rodgers not being injured and making sure low IQ backup QBs never see the field.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This surprises me. I would think every team would be doing this for their fans and the community. Sure it takes a lot of planning but its not like it takes anything away from the team preparation and its a great way to promote the brand and give at least a bit of the experience to those who can't afford tickets to regular games.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, Martinez is very good. But staying healthy is always a concern in the NFL. What are the plans if Martinez loses time to injury? I see Navarro Bowman is available. He’s been injury prone as well, but I’m guessing Glute will give him a hard look. While hope isn’t a strategy, I am hoping Burks can translate his athleticism into on-field production sooner rather than later.

The Packers absolutely need Martinez to stay healthy after losing Ryan for the season as none of the other inside linebackers excel at defending the run. Burks will most likely receive a ton of snaps but he struggles against the run.

Not to mention Pettine hasn't called a single regular season game yet and 4-3 defenses are vanilla sh*t.

There are several teams in the league running a successful 4-3 defense. The Packers don't have the ideal personnel to do it though.

This surprises me. I would think every team would be doing this for their fans and the community. Sure it takes a lot of planning but its not like it takes anything away from the team preparation and its a great way to promote the brand and give at least a bit of the experience to those who can't afford tickets to regular games.

There aren't a lot of teams capable of selling 78,000 tickets for fans to watch a practice though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can all get that in pre season. Family night has proven to be a liability. The glorifed scrimmage has had more than its share of injuries. I have been there and would rather see the Packers healthy when it counts.

D

Deleted member 6794

They can all get that in pre season. Family night has proven to be a liability. The glorifed scrimmage has had more than its share of injuries. I have been there and would rather see the Packers healthy when it counts.

It's nonsense that there's any additional risk of players getting injured during Family Night than during any other practice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts