Aaaand...here we go with injuries again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah, and “luck” is the operative word. I think “contract” guys for the most part go all out. It’s after they’ve been awarded a big contract that at least some of them play it safe. I think that was one of the reasons TT wasn’t big on FA, especially for guys in their late 20s.

Yup and thanks for adding that aspect of the "fat cat". While most guys who are given guaranteed money in excess of what they will ever spend in a lifetime probably continue to play hard, I can see the possibility of some cashing in and checking out a bit. No longer do some of these guys have to live from paycheck to paycheck or contract to contract, one big signing can set their lives up for good.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a practice. Players get hurt in practice - Ryan was lost for the season during a practice.

You do realize (or perhaps you do not) that if the Packers did not have "Family Night" in front of the fans, they'd just hold another practice anyway. Ergo, canceling Family Night accomplishes nothing, other than depriving a lot of packer fans of an entertaining evening inside Lambeau.
Well said Curly. We just returned home to WI after living in Nor Cal for 18 years. The Niners and Raiders have nothing like Family Night. I finally got to watch it this year and was impressed. Of course, it’s a glamorous training session, but what a kick for fans and the new players. I was impressed. As for the argument that players got injured, therefore they should not hold the event, that’s ridiculous. As you said, they’re gonna practice anyway. Players get injured in practice, end of story. And the event raises money for charities. It’s nice to see and nice to be back. No other franchise is quite as unique as the Packers. (And now I won’t need Sunday NFL Ticket to see the games.......)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think it would be smart for a lot of players to use insurances more often to prevent losing money by getting injured.
Totally agree and I would love to know how many players do have injury insurance. About all I have read are on the guys coming out of college, taking out such a policy, to make sure an injury doesn't cost them a lot of money in lost draft position. Jaylon Smith coming out of Notre Dame was one such player. Speaking of Jaylon, it sounds like he is fully recovered from his devastating injury at the Fiesta Bowl 19 or so months ago and is turning a lot of heads in Dallas.

I would much rather see Insurance polices used over guaranteed contracts.

D

Deleted member 6794

Totally agree and I would love to know how many players do have injury insurance. We don't hear a lot about it. About all I have read about are the guys coming out of college, taking out such a policy, to make sure an injury doesn't cost them a lot of money in lost draft position. Jaylon Smith coming out of Notre Dame was one such player.

Jermichael Finley was another player that arranged an insurance paying him $10 million in case of a career ending injury.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and thanks for adding that aspect of the "fat cat". While most guys who are given guaranteed money in excess of what they will ever spend in a lifetime probably continue to play hard, I can see the possibility of some cashing in and checking out a bit. No longer do some of these guys have to live from paycheck to paycheck or contract to contract, one big signing can set their lives up for good.
Yeah I mean it’s not to say they don’t still play hard, especially if a player is on a contending team. But I think it’s human nature, especially in such a dangerous game, that a guy might dial it back once he has enough money to buy the world. I still wish TT had been more aggressive in FA, but there are arguments for and against it. Fortunately, Glute made a number of smart FA moves. Wilkerson will be very motivated to have a big year, and I’m sure Graham would like another ring. I expect them to play all out each game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jermichael Finley was another player that arranged an insurance paying him $10 million in case of a career ending injury.

Yup. A guy like A-Rod could secure a policy like that at a cost of how much? Instead, the Packers might be willing to guarantee his contract at a cost of....$100M.

Call me old fashioned, but I have a hard time believing that just because a guy gets injured and possibly can't play in the NFL again because of it, that the team should have any obligation to him other than a reasonable severance pay. What do military families get when they lose a loved one in combat?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, the non-contact injuries, which there seems to be a lot of, will probably never cease with how athletes are "made" today.
Seems like torn ACLs in particular happen on non-contact plays. It happened to Jordy. And I think it happened to Kelvin Benjamin a few years ago. Freaky, but not uncommon. I think the freakiest ACL tear was to Carson Wenzhou last year. As I recall, he was in the air leaping forward and was hit from the left and right, moving the knee in an unnatural direction. I don’t think the injury had anything to do with contact of the playing surface. How do you coach to avoid THAT?

H

HardRightEdge

Actually I think it's a jerky habit to criticize someone for posting facts. It's fine if you're not interested in them but what's the point of replying with a post not contributing anything meaningful to the discussion??? Especially as I wasn't even quoting one of your posts.
It is my opinion that I contributed something meaningful beyond the actual subject matter, i.e., observing how factoids distract from (or attempt to discredit) a larger point being made. You may not agree, but in my view it is a not infrequent habit of yours.

Shall I lay it out for you? Why not.

So, a guy says Alabama draws over 100,000 to their spring games, something that does not count for anything, to illustrate that the Packers drawing 65,000 for a practice that does not count for anything is not all that special in the world of football.

Since I don't follow college football, my reaction to that was, "Gee I did not know that. Family night is not that unusual." Then you come along quoting correctly the 92,000 something figure with no color, no "but point well taken" or anything else, as though to discredit that poster.

Yet the takeaway is the same. Family Night attendance is not that special in the world of football, with Alabama's 100,00 or 92,000 making no difference to the broader point that was made.

In actuality, I've come to find Ohio State once drew 100,000 to a spring game and generally has higher attendance at their srping games than Alabama. That 100,000 might be relevant to some. From my perspective, if it was 80,000 it wouldn't make any differece to the larger point.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. A guy like A-Rod could secure a policy like that at a cost of how much? Instead, the Packers might be willing to guarantee his contract at a cost of....$100M.

?

At less than 30 cents per day too. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I would much rather see Insurance polices used over guaranteed contracts.

Would you see teams taking out insurance policies on players in case they ended up having to pay out 50 million to a player who's career was cut short by injury? It wouldn't help with the salary cap issue but it could help with the bottom line.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess we would still see a ton of torn ACLs in flag football.
With the frequency of non-contact ACL injuries it's probably fair to say they'd still be fairly frequent though less so than in the contact game. There are a variety of injuries that are not contact related or occur with some frequency without contact, the ubiquitous hamstring injuries being one in particular.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like torn ACLs in particular happen on non-contact plays. It happened to Jordy. And I think it happened to Kelvin Benjamin a few years ago. Freaky, but not uncommon. I think the freakiest ACL tear was to Carson Wenzhou last year. As I recall, he was in the air leaping forward and was hit from the left and right, moving the knee in an unnatural direction. I don’t think the injury had anything to do with contact of the playing surface. How do you coach to avoid THAT?
you don't. those are ligaments that have been diseased/degenerating for a long time and just waiting to go. A healthy ligament would never rupture under those loads. Not even close.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you don't. those are ligaments that have been diseased/degenerating for a long time and just waiting to go. A healthy ligament would never rupture under those loads. Not even close.
you can snap an acl stepping off a curb. i popped mine slipping off the bottom rung of a ladder. kids playing sports pop them all the time. they're not diseased or degenerated. it's the wrong movement/position of the knee at the wrong time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At less than 30 cents per day too. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.
Maybe AR, Clay and Cobb can all swing deals with State Farm to include the coverage in their endorsements pay. :cool:
Would you see teams taking out insurance policies on players in case they ended up having to pay out 50 million to a player who's career was cut short by injury? It wouldn't help with the salary cap issue but it could help with the bottom line.

That's a good question, whether the team can or does take out those kinds of insurance policies. Seems like a person can buy insurance, for a price, for just about anything, so I don't see why they aren't available. Hell, as long as you are made aware of it, I can take a life insurance policy out on you and make myself the beneficiary. :D

The sticky part probably comes with who decides its career ending, the player or the team? A guy like Sam Shields has decided for himself that he can still play, the Packers seem to disagree. Maybe if Shields had a policy, he would be collecting on it and not risky his long term health on continue to play? Really doesn't matter who takes the policy, I'm just not a fan of "guaranteed money" in regards to injuries. I love AR, but if he signs a new contract, suffers a career ending injury, that $100M in guaranteed money is going to strap the Packers for a long time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can snap an acl stepping off a curb. i popped mine slipping off the bottom rung of a ladder. kids playing sports pop them all the time. they're not diseased or degenerated. it's the wrong movement/position of the knee at the wrong time.
If I weighed 3,000 lbs I could not step off a curb with enough force to snap a healthy ligament. but at 180 if I step wrong on a chronically injured one, it will snap. When I say "diseased" I'm not saying it has parkinsons or something, but it certainly wasn't healthy. It's been deteriorating for a while.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Hell, as long as you are made aware of it, I can take a life insurance policy out on you and make myself the beneficiary.
A few more dots to connect than that.
Insurable interest means that you would be adversely affected financially if the person who is insured died.In other words, you cannot purchase life insurance on the stranger you met at the grocery store yesterday. That person has no bearing on your finances. If that person died, you would not be affected financially.
Next,,, exclusion is for parents on their minor children.
Not only do you need to prove insurable interest to buy life insurance on someone, you also need their consent.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I weighed 3,000 lbs I could not step off a curb with enough force to snap a healthy ligament.
of course you could. if your knee is locked and you come down it it'll pop. that's essentially how i popped mine. when i slipped off that ladder my weight (150 lbs) came down on my locked left leg. you could hear it when it popped. i know of one person who was walking along looking at his phone and stepped off a curb he didn't see coming. his leg was locked and down he went.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and a lot of it just has to do with the mechanics of the knee. The knee dosn’t easily tolerate sideway forces. It can be a perfectly healthy joint otherwise. Not knee related, but I badly injured my Achilles’ tendon stepping down awkwardly from a curb. Took 4 days to heal. Stuff happens!

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know some people might look at your comment as not serious, but I get it. If they’re not playing loose becasue they’re worrying about getting hurt, then they’re playing “tight” and are more susceptible to an injury. Anyway it’s the most interesting comment I’ve seen posted on this topic. It just seems like human nature to not want to get injured in a practice. An analogy is driving a car. If you’re wound up behind the wheel and trying at all costs not to get in an accident, you’ll probably get in an accident.
I have friends that plays and played for the denver broncos and played for the san deigo chargers, brandon marshall the lb and vernon fox and they tell me these type stories. In mini camp they practice 2 and 3 times a day sometimes, some guys try to avoid injuries also.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have friends that plays and played for the denver broncos and played for the san deigo chargers, brandon marshall the lb and vernon fox and they tell me these type stories. In mini camp they practice 2 and 3 times a day sometimes, some guys try to avoid injuries also.
It’s gotta be tough on a rookie trying to make the team. Go all out to impress and risk injury, or, take an easier route. Then again, I’d expect that player to go all out. As for the veterans, well they just get held out anyway to make room for the new guys in preseason. In a game as physical and violent as football, it’s probably near impossible to avoid injury anyway. Too many unknowns. People get injured stepping off curbs.......