Aaaand...here we go with injuries again.

H

HardRightEdge

Out of curiousity, why?
The other guys get more chances to leap frog King on the depth chart. We didn't see much of Alexander, but Jackson got a lot of snaps and looks pretty good. House had good coverage on a couple of deep balls.

You may have guessed by now that I've not been impressed with King.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like King, but yeah, he isn't any good to us if he can't stay healthy. I still don't know how the Packers missed or ignored his chronic shoulder injury, that wasn't just a one time thing. The good news, right now with Williams, House, Jackson and Alexander, there isn't quit the desperate need for King to be that stud. Just hope he can stay healthy and not a busted TT pick of a first/second round DB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King is going to be a stud if and when he can stay on the field.
I thought he was ok last year, but then a few weeks ago i went back and watched a mash up of his plays and he was a lot better than I had remembered or given him credit for. A healthy King, Williams and Alexander/Jackson seems like a really nice group to have on the field in passing downs. When it was the other shoulder and 1 practice missed I wasn't too concerned, but now it's still limited practice and no 2nd game either. The more he misses the more I'm concerned. I'd really like to see what this kid can do with a full season of health in him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was ok last year, but then a few weeks ago i went back and watched a mash up of his plays and he was a lot better than I had remembered or given him credit for. A healthy King, Williams and Alexander/Jackson seems like a really nice group to have on the field in passing downs. When it was the other shoulder and 1 practice missed I wasn't too concerned, but now it's still limited practice and no 2nd game either. The more he misses the more I'm concerned. I'd really like to see what this kid can do with a full season of health in him.
They are just being cautious because king is our answer for Julio, Antonio, and some of the other unstoppable freak wrs out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

The other guys get more chances to leap frog King on the depth chart. We didn't see much of Alexander, but Jackson got a lot of snaps and looks pretty good. House had good coverage on a couple of deep balls.

King struggled at times during his rookie season but in my opinion possesses the talent to be at least a decent starter on the perimeter. First of all he has to stay healthy though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for the answer. We really haven’t seen much of King. Assuming his shoulder bothered him all of last year, there’s no way to gauge how welll he will do until he’s healed. The shoulder problem is suppposed to be fixed, or is it? Time will tell but I want to see him making plays first. And if Jackson, who to me is playing very well, leapfrogs him to start, that’s fine. I can’t “will” a top 2 draft pick to perform, but it sure is disappointing that both Randall and Rollins were duds (for different reasons), and I’d hate to see another high draft pick wasted on a corner who can’t produce. Anyway you may be right. We’ll find out soon enough.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said Mondio. We haven’t seen him play healthy since he became a Packer. The shoulder was supposedly fixed in the offseason, and now he apparently has a problem with the other shoulder. Regardless, he’s not playing and holding him out to be cautious doesn’t make much sense for a guy who still has to prove he should be a starter. I hope he’s ok, but like a few others, am concerned that he did not play Thursday.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King is going to be a stud if and when he can stay on the field.
I agree, it’s just a really big “if” right now. Holding him out Thursday tells me there’s more to the story. I hope I’m wrong.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like King, but yeah, he isn't any good to us if he can't stay healthy. I still don't know how the Packers missed or ignored his chronic shoulder injury, that wasn't just a one time thing. The good news, right now with Williams, House, Jackson and Alexander, there isn't quit the desperate need for King to be that stud. Just hope he can stay healthy and not a busted TT pick of a first/second round DB.
Ugh that would be a disaster after the Randall/Rollins draft. Cannot afford yet another wasted early round pick on a corner. That D definitely needs King playing up to his ability.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ugh that would be a disaster after the Randall/Rollins draft. Cannot afford yet another wasted early round pick on a corner. That D definitely needs King playing up to his ability.

Not just Randall, Rollins and King. Don't forget about other secondary picks Jones and HaHa. I'm not ready to call either King, Jones or HaHa a bust, but for first and second round picks, things aren't looking all that great.

With the amount of draft resources the Packers have pumped into the secondary in the last 5 drafts, they should be so much better than they are. Now this year, 2 more picks, I guess see what happens. Losing those resources is bad enough, but when you think about the other 17 or so starting positions that weren't addressed with high picks because of it, it explains why we are seeing cracks/weaknesses at OLB, ILB, OL and WR.

H

HardRightEdge

King struggled at times during his rookie season but in my opinion possesses the talent to be at least a decent starter on the perimeter. First of all he has to stay healthy though.
A bum shoulder inhibits press coverage, tackling and ball skills. It does not make you clueless in zone coverage or cause you to give up separation in off coverage or deprive you of the savvy to bait a rookie QB on a short out route.

Anyway, I had not looked into King's injury history from before last season's vague mentions of shoulder issues before going on IR. Man, oh, man.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...lague-packers-rookie-cb-kevin-king/936148001/

For those who can't acess that link, try your browser incognito function.

Let's see if I've got this right.

- He popped his left shoulder out of it's socket as a college freshman.
- He popped it numerous times after that.
- Then he had labrum surgery.
- Then he popped it some more.
- He was a full participant at the Combine where he did 11 lifts.
- He says he discussed the shoulder with Packers staff pre-draft.
- Then he was drafted.
- Then the shoulder started acting up again early in 2017 camp.
- The he popped it as many as 10 times during last season!?
- He was questionable for Week 9 with a back injury but played a full complement of snaps.
- Then he went on IR for the shoulder.
- Then he had a second labrum surgury by Dr. Andrews.

"He’s a long-armed corner with 'loose limbs,' King said. He wonders if his body is naturally more prone to dislocations."

- Then a couple weeks ago as he was getting ready to ditch the brace on that left shoulder, he suffered an "odd" injury to the right shoulder. Now he's wearing that brace on the right side.

No coach is going to have anything but good things to say about a high pick who played though most of his rookie season with pain and injury. That's as it should be. I have a newfound respect for King for the effort. "He was having a good camp." With a brace on his surgically repaired shoulder? "We've not seen the real Kevin King." Surely not.

So what do we know of the real Kevin King? College tape, the Combine and NFL rookie mental mistakes. Nobody can assume who that guy might be. And if he is prone to "loose limbed" disclocations nobody may ever find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A bum shoulder inhibits press coverage, tackling and ball skills. It does not make you clueless in zone coverage or cause you to give up separation in off coverage or deprive you of the savvy to bait a rookie QB on a short out route.

Anyway, I had not looked into King's injury history from before last season's vague mentions of shoulder issues before going on IR. Man, oh, man.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...lague-packers-rookie-cb-kevin-king/936148001/

For those who can't acess that link, try your browser incognito function.

Let's see if I've got this right.

- He popped his left shoulder out of it's socket as a college freshman.
- He popped it numerous times after that.
- Then he had labrum surgery.
- Then he popped it some more.
- He was a full participant at the Combine where he did 11 lifts.
- He says he discussed the shoulder with Packers staff pre-draft.
- Then he was drafted.
- Then the shoulder started acting up again early in 2017 camp.
- The he popped it as many as 10 times during last season!?
- He was questionable for Week 9 with a back injury but played a full complement of snaps.
- Then he went on IR for the shoulder.
- Then he had a second labrum surgury by Dr. Andrews.

"He’s a long-armed corner with 'loose limbs,' King said. He wonders if his body is naturally more prone to dislocations."

- Then a couple weeks ago as he was getting ready to ditch the brace on that left shoulder, he suffered an "odd" injury to the right shoulder. Now he's wearing that brace on the right side.

No coach is going to have anything but good things to say about a high pick who played though most of his rookie season with pain and injury. That's as it should be. I have a newfound respect for King for the effort. "He was having a good camp." With a brace on his surgically repaired shoulder? "We've not seen the real Kevin King." Surely not.

So what do we know of the real Kevin King? College tape, the Combine and NFL rookie mental mistakes. Nobody can assume who that guy might be. And if he is prone to "loose limbed" disclocations nobody may ever find out.

good stuff and I remember reading a lot of it after he was drafted and really questioned the pick due to his injury history with that shoulder. I'm not a doctor, but I have to think that every time you suffer the same injury, that portion of your body is more susceptible to it happening again. King may have the tools to be a great CB some day, but if he can't stay on the field, he was a really bad pick at where he was taken.

H

HardRightEdge

good stuff and I remember reading a lot of it after he was drafted and really questioned the pick due to his injury history with that shoulder. I'm not a doctor, but I have to think that every time you suffer the same injury, that portion of your body is more susceptible to it happening again. King may have the tools to be a great CB some day, but if he can't stay on the field, he was a really bad pick at where he was taken.
I am saying that. But what I'm also saying is the aspects of his game that were not affected by a bum shoulder did not look very good. Jackson, on the other hand....so far so good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am saying that. But what I'm also saying is the aspects of his game that were not affected by a bum shoulder did not look very good. Jackson, on the other hand....so far so good.
Agreed. While King has shown flashes when healthy, so did Randall and Rollins. To expect him to be a shut down corner, when healthy is expecting way too much. As you said, right now, just the little I have seen of Jackson is much more impressive than what I have seen of King.

D

Deleted member 6794

We really haven’t seen much of King. Assuming his shoulder bothered him all of last year, there’s no way to gauge how welll he will do until he’s healed. The shoulder problem is suppposed to be fixed, or is it?

Unfortunately it seems King's shoulder issues won't be fixed anytime soon.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to venture to say that getting your shoulder repaired by Dr Andrews is roughly 1000x better ,than what ever doctor fixed a college kids shoulder out in who knows where...

The other shoulder hurt? I'm not going to start speculating he will be tweaked all year because he tweaked his good shoulder, and they are playing it safe with his recovery... I would safely speculate it was a sprain, and will heal completely in 6-8 weeks as long as he doesn't reinjure it. So........ Dont reinjure it..... Common sense says you don't go run your prize stud into the ground, when the games don't count..... Right?

He plays with what our secondary lacks. He just needs to grow into the NFL. As soon as his body can take the abuse, he will be feared imo. His size ,speed, length is what's needed to slow down those. Julio Jones , Antonio brown type guys. Otherwise we just hand over 220 yds and 2 tds right off the start... That's unacceptable.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not just Randall, Rollins and King. Don't forget about other secondary picks Jones and HaHa. I'm not ready to call either King, Jones or HaHa a bust, but for first and second round picks, things aren't looking all that great.

With the amount of draft resources the Packers have pumped into the secondary in the last 5 drafts, they should be so much better than they are. Now this year, 2 more picks, I guess see what happens. Losing those resources is bad enough, but when you think about the other 17 or so starting positions that weren't addressed with high picks because of it, it explains why we are seeing cracks/weaknesses at OLB, ILB, OL and WR.
All good points. Maybe the Packer fan in me wants to believe that King, Jones, and HaHa will excel. Only HaHa has proven that he can do it - for one season.

But yeah I don’t want to think about the talent they could have had if they didn’t need to select so many DBs. And DBs who, for the most part, haven’t come close to being worth a 2nd round pick. I wasn’t crazy about the rumors of the Packers trading two first round picks for Khalil Mack. But if we want at least one more SB out of Rodgers, such a drastic measure may be necessary. Don’t get me wrong, I’m encouraged by the play of Reggie Gilbert. But as we saw with Hundley, practice and preseason games aren’t the same as the real thing.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said Mondio. We haven’t seen him play healthy since he became a Packer. The shoulder was supposedly fixed in the offseason, and now he apparently has a problem with the other shoulder. Regardless, he’s not playing and holding him out to be cautious doesn’t make much sense for a guy who still has to prove he should be a starter. I hope he’s ok, but like a few others, am concerned that he did not play Thursday.

They are saying that this time it's a problem with his other shoulder. I hope he can play soon as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are saying that this time it's a problem with his other shoulder. I hope he can play soon as well.
Yikes. Hey any idea what is up with Cole Madison? I really liked that pick and the O-line always needs quality depth. Thanks.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yikes. Hey any idea what is up with Cole Madison? I really liked that pick and the O-line always needs quality depth. Thanks.

I gotta think that he is dealing with the suicide and CTE diagnosis of Hilinski at Washington St. Would seem to make the most sense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta think that he is dealing with the suicide and CTE diagnosis of Hilinski at Washington St. Would seem to make the most sense.
Yeah, that’s a lot to deal with, at any point in life, bet especially now. All the best to him, and thanks.

Members online

Latest posts