Aaaand...here we go with injuries again.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Family night has often proved to be a big detriment to the ensuing season. Because the Packers can squeeze out another couple of million out of the fans they gladly take the potential and actual serious injuries that threaten the season. Money over winning.

You do know that Family Night is a scheduled practice right? Its a practice in front of almost 70K fans.

Name any other team that can sell out their stadium for a Practice session.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They can all get that in pre season. Family night has proven to be a liability. The glorifed scrimmage has had more than its share of injuries. I have been there and would rather see the Packers healthy when it counts.
You keep returning to the scrimmage meme. IT ISN'T and hasn't been since Bulaga was lost for the season a few years back. Since then it has been an enhanced practice session. Just at night. And in Lambeau. In front of 78ooo fanatics. With a few crowd friendly theatrics added to the end. Players get their families to join them on the field afterwards. Why do you keep insisting on the scrimmage angle? You realize 11 on 11, 2-minute drill, and ones vs ones are parts of a normal practice session, don't you?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You keep returning to the scrimmage meme. IT ISN'T and hasn't been since Bulaga was lost for the season a few years back. Since then it has been an enhanced practice session. Just at night. And in Lambeau. In front of 78ooo fanatics. With a few crowd friendly theatrics added to the end. Players get their families to join them on the field afterwards. Why do you keep insisting on the scrimmage angle? You realize 11 on 11, 2-minute drill, and ones vs ones are parts of a normal practice session, don't you?

Obviously if he admits to that, it destroys his argument. Ergo......

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="captainWIMM, post: 782073, member: 6794"

There aren't a lot of teams capable of selling 78,000 tickets for fans to watch a practice though.[/QUOTE]

Why would they have to sell 78,000 tickets? I'm sure if the teams held the event the 20,000 or however many showed up would appreciate it and enjoy it just as much as the 78,000 Packer fans did.

Eggers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. There will be more , everyone has injuries. JR47 is around 15th best player on team. Replaceable.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can all get that in pre season. Family night has proven to be a liability. The glorifed scrimmage has had more than its share of injuries. I have been there and would rather see the Packers healthy when it counts.

The only way this statement makes sense is if you're arguing they shouldn't ever hold practice.... Like ever

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="captainWIMM, post: 782073, member: 6794"

There aren't a lot of teams capable of selling 78,000 tickets for fans to watch a practice though.

Why would they have to sell 78,000 tickets? I'm sure if the teams held the event the 20,000 or however many showed up would appreciate it and enjoy it just as much as the 78,000 Packer fans did.[/QUOTE]

Went to the Vikings free family night last year (i live in mankato where it was held) after going to the Packers the previous year. The difference is night and day. Minnesota fills a division 2 college stadium. The Packers fill a pro stadium. Granted Minnesota did it in a smaller city like Mankato but it is only an hour and a half from the twin cities.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Why would they have to sell 78,000 tickets? I'm sure if the teams held the event the 20,000 or however many showed up would appreciate it and enjoy it just as much as the 78,000 Packer fans did.

Went to the Vikings free family night last year (i live in mankato where it was held) after going to the Packers the previous year. The difference is night and day. Minnesota fills a division 2 college stadium. The Packers fill a pro stadium. Granted Minnesota did it in a smaller city like Mankato but it is only an hour and a half from the twin cities.[/QUOTE]
Packers get several thousand every day at practice. Would the Vikings get more if they had it at a larger stadium? Or isn't Mankato state filled? Also, is there enough hotel space to hold those that come to a night practice?

D

Deleted member 6794

They wouldn't have to sell that many tickets to make it a fun event for fans. One reason teams might be reluctant to hold such a pracrice is that scouts a
from other team are allowed to attend if they charge money to watch it.

Preseason practice game? Alabama has gotten 100k+ multiple times...in the spring.

Alabama's record crowd for their spring game was 92,300 in 2011.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers get several thousand every day at practice. Would the Vikings get more if they had it at a larger stadium? Or isn't Mankato state filled? Also, is there enough hotel space to hold those that come to a night practice?

Well there are way fewer people per day at the Vikings training camp as well that is for sure. For the family night At Mankato there is standing room only at the stadium so they could get more and the hotel space isn't that limited. Mankato and the surrounding area is over 75,000 not to mention if you lived in the twin cities you could just drive home. Last year the Vikings had 10,500 people at their family night. Didn't see attendance figures from this year's. Figure it is higher because they are in the metro now.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They wouldn't have to sell that many tickets to make it a fun event for fans. One reason teams might be reluctant to hold such a pracrice is that scouts a
from other team are allowed to attend if they charge money to watch it.

Now that might be a legit concern. Given the limited practice time teams get they may not want to give one up to host a family night. When I say give up I mean they might feel compelled to not have a regular practice if they are working on special plays or formations and stuff like that. They might water it down just like preseason games are watered down.

Still, I don't think fans would mind and however many showed up would most likely have a great time. I just think its a great way to give something back to the fans and I would think every team would want to do that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just think its a great way to give something back to the fans and I would think every team would want to do that.

There are definitely teams that don't care about their fans as much as the Packers do.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously if he admits to that, it destroys his argument. Ergo......
Call it what you want. That doesn't matter. What matters is a bunch of guys got injured again. Including Baktiari and first round pick Alexander. Family Night is a farce and should be terminated for the good of the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Would have been nice to have cancelled the Practice that Ryan tore his knee up at, but I guess that would be kind of silly.

If the Packers are going to start worrying about injuries during practices, pre-season, taking showers, chewing bubble gum and walking down a busy sidewalk, then they might as well just wrap everyone in bubble wrap and only play on Sundays.

Family Night is a glorified practice used to connect with the community, nothing more, nothing less. Injuries happen, it doesn't matter if there are 80,000 or 2 people there to witness them.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Call it what you want. That doesn't matter. What matters is a bunch of guys got injured again. Including Baktiari and first round pick Alexander. Family Night is a farce and should be terminated for the good of the team.

Keep digging the hole slick. Family Night has always been a scheduled practice just in front of the 70K + Fans.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers had so many guys watching today in practice due to injuries that the hot tub must be overflowing. Haven't even played one pre season game yet and the injury list is crazy. Players are sitting out to try and not aggrevate "minor" injuries but at some point the huge cumulative loss of practice has to lead to another slow start and inability to garner home field advantage. Looks like traing camp is treated as some type of optional exercise.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers had so many guys watching today in practice due to injuries that the hot tub must be overflowing. Haven't even played one pre season game yet and the injury list is crazy. Players are sitting out to try and not aggrevate "minor" injuries but at some point the huge cumulative loss of practice has to lead to another slow start and inability to garner home field advantage. Looks like traing camp is treated as some type of optional exercise.

I'm confused though by what you are saying. First you say they shouldn't hold one of their practices, ie. Family Night. Now you are saying that "cumulative loss of practice has to lead to another slow start and inability to garner home field advantage". No offense, because I do like some of your posts, but that sounds like someone "bit*hing out of both sides, just to bit*h". You can't have it both ways and injuries are just part of football. They happen in practices, scrimmages, preseason, regular season, post season, seasoning the steak on a slippery deck......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confused though by what you are saying. First you say they shouldn't hold one of their practices, ie. Family Night. Now you are saying that "cumulative loss of practice has to lead to another slow start and inability to garner home field advantage". No offense, because I do like some of your posts, but that sounds like someone "bit*hing out of both sides, just to bit*h". You can't have it both ways and injuries are just part of football. They happen in practices, scrimmages, preseason, regular season, post season, seasoning the steak on a slippery deck......
Yeah I saw one guy posting about what a waste Family Night is as it could lead to injuries. Family Night is a very public practice that is going to happen anyway. Sure they can avoid injuries by not practicing but that’s silly. I think that injuries don’t discriminate by team or even position. If ya look around they’re everywhere. Just part of the game. And as far as family night, there are many other benefits - raising money for charity, giving new players the feel of running out to 60,000 plush screaming fans, and more. Just moved back from CA and it was fun to watch Saturday night.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that might be a legit concern. Given the limited practice time teams get they may not want to give one up to host a family night. When I say give up I mean they might feel compelled to not have a regular practice if they are working on special plays or formations and stuff like that. They might water it down just like preseason games are watered down.

Still, I don't think fans would mind and however many showed up would most likely have a great time. I just think its a great way to give something back to the fans and I would think every team would want to do that.
Agreed. The team is not going to be working on new plays and formations becasue of course scouts will be watching. The fans don’t care, they’re there to see the team, raise money for charity, and have a good time. Great event, unique to GB.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Packers are not unique in this situation. League wide player status report. From there, most# of the longer lists appear to be on teams that have had a bit of recent success*.

# - Most defined to be, at first glance, more often than not
* - Success defined to mean playoff appearances in the current decade.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

What matters is a bunch of guys got injured again. Including Baktiari and first round pick Alexander. Family Night is a farce and should be terminated for the good of the team.

Players are sitting out to try and not aggrevate "minor" injuries but at some point the huge cumulative loss of practice has to lead to another slow start and inability to garner home field advantage. Looks like traing camp is treated as some type of optional exercise.

That has me absolutely confused. On one hand you dismiss the Packers holding a practice at Lambeau citing the risk of injury as the main reason while on the other you want injured players to toughen up and participate in training camp. Can't have it both ways.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts