3rd round WR Ty Montgomery

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the Patriots be an exception - they have a HOF QB, but ours is better, is he not??

So they have a HOF QB, and we have better HOF QB - yet they win championships, and we tread water as a perennial playoff team that can't get over the hump??

The difference between them and us - is they push for championships and adjust their roster to fill holes. TT just keeps plodding along with his 4 years hence approach - which is unlikely to fill current holes enough to get us over the top. That is the difference between the Patriots and the Packers.

The title we won in '10 was pure luck - at least in terms of the path we had to follow to get there, i.e. we played 4 very flawed teams in the playoffs and Superbowl - flawed enough that we could steal a title. If any one of those teams was as good as Seattle or SF or NE of these past few years - we wouldn't have won the Superbowl in '10.

Yeah. Very good offense and defense we won it by luck...

Maybe one of this years the Browns or Jaguars will luckily stumble to a Super Bowl win.

They Patriots are literally the only team to win more than us. That's not the norm. You're saying it's not good we have the 2nd most titles in that time frame.

D

Deleted member 6794

They Patriots are literally the only team to win more than us. That's not the norm. You're saying it's not good we have the 2nd most titles in that time frame.

The Cowboys have won three Super Bowls over that time period.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Randall and Rollins aren't special teams players but I really don't see Montgomery getting snaps on offense.

Maybe not much in 2015, but long-term I highly doubt the plan was for him to be drafted exclusively as a return man.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Montgomery is a bad receiver with terrible hands. I was surprised he was drafted in the third round.
Clearly that's only your opinion and not Thompson's or the scouts or he would not even had made it onto the board. He'll get snaps on offense most likely. I expect to see Abbrederis start the season on PUP. Montgomery could possibly become the 3rd RB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Clearly that's only your opinion and not Thompson's or the scouts or he would not even had made it onto the board. He'll get snaps on offense most likely. I expect to see Abbrederis start the season on PUP. Montgomery could possibly become the 3rd RB.

Last season our third RB got a total of 16 carries. I would like to get more production out of a third round pick in his rookie season.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may well be a good player - he looks good on tape; but he has his warts too...

That said, even if he is a good player - that will land him where on the depth chart?? #4 WR?? So he'll see the field only in those spread formations, and will be Rodgers 4th read most of the time??

We're close to a championship now - or at least we were close. TT has done nothing to improve what we were lacking from last year, i.e. most notably ILB. We were terrible at ILB last year, and we've gotten worse there if for no other reason than we only have 1 viable ILB on the roster.

We also regressed at CB. Now TT did address CB, but he did so with a very questionable 1st round pick. Rollins in the 2nd round was solid though.

Even with both of those guys coming on board, we've regressed at CB as well... I absolutely hate the Randall pick. Good speed, good ball skills - but just a terrible tackler, and soft doesn't begin to describe how terrible he is in run support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those things being said - how does Montgomery help to fix our biggest problems?? He may help on ST, but who cares about ST if your team can't even begin to stop the run - and your GM did nothing about in the offseason?? An offseason that should have dedicated to making the few moves necessary to fix our problems and get us over the top to a championship.

Instead, TT drafted guys today in the hopes that they will pan out in 4 years - and said to hell with next year.

And while TT is twiddling his thumbs playing for the future - Clay is another year older, Rodgers is another year older, etc...

We've had close to 25 years of HOF QB'ing to enjoy, and we only have 2 championships in that span?? And NE has how many?? What's wrong with that picture??
One injury and we were hurting at WR. Nelson, Cobb, Adams. Any one of them gets hurt, and we have Janis, with nobody to play #4 even if we wanted to... Abberdarius is still a long shot to make the field, especially after his acl. bummer but true.
The CBs too. we lost Williams, House, and Bush... added a 1st and 2nd rounder to replace them... good plan you could say...
Not sure about the Montgommery pick. Hands of those things that is difficult for players to improve. Interesting player otherwise.

Montgomery is going to be used alot if any of our starting 3 get hurt at any point of the year.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard he was most likely Cobbs replacment on kick returns. He runs like a RB after the catch. His stature jumps off the page. Visually he looks like a 6' 221 pound Cobb, weither or not he can play like him is another thing.
Now Cobb has invented a offensive version of the Legion of Boom. He will take a CB or Safety right out when he finishes his run! Then at the end of last season, we threw the Cobb running the ball twist into the mix! Very sucessfully I might add... I can only imagine we will see more of Cobb moving around, and running the ball more. Putting the bigger Adams outside...

So my thought is... If Montgomery does replace Cobb on kick return duties... Who's to say he couldnt replace him in running the ball out of the backfield as well? Im not anti-Cobb by any means. He is a great WR already at 24 years old. Violent, and volitile. Quick as lightning and hand like glue... But he's 5'10" 192 pounds. The 6'221 pound Montgomery might give us alot of the same results, in a more durable framed WR?

If he does??? Does Cobb and his 10/mil a year salary become a tradable asset??? Could net a couple 1sts for him I bet?

Just a thought. This Montgomery has my gears spinning, on how to get him on the field... 6'221 pounds is a rare structure for a WR that has the quickness he does.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but Cobb didn't do much at all last year in the way of kick returns, stats show only 1 (no yards). Seemed like he shared duties returning punts with Hyde (14 each).

I would guess that they will give a lot of the new guys a chance at returning kicks and punts. The man who shows he can do it, gets the job. Can always go back to the Hyde/Cobb tandem if need be. I prefer Hyde personally, good hands, vision of the field and can break one.

Can not envision the Packers trading Cobb.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I love Cobb, I like Hyde returning punts more. He just seems to be able to make that slippery move and then go. No doubt that Cobb looks much more the part, but I think Hyde is more productive. Cobb relies too much on his shake and bake where as Hyde just slides by the first guy or 2 and then is going up field. Cobb seems to side to side and stop and go on punts for me, though with the right blocking, I think he's faster.

I'm in no hurry to replace Hyde on punt returns. Kick returns, I think the draft pick fits the bill very well. At least in college and on paper. We'll see what happens

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Harris should be worried about his job with Montgomery and Crockett coming in. I can see Montgomery catching the short passes in the flat and the short sideline passes. Possibly being used in the backfield like Cobb.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Harris should be worried about his job with Montgomery and Crockett coming in. I can see Montgomery catching the short passes in the flat and the short sideline passes. Possibly being used in the backfield like Cobb.

Harris is a Viking now. I hope he returns kicks for them for many years to come, because he looked terrible doing it for the Packers.

Kick return duty is wide open.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

He doesn't run a 4.3 so people don't like him. Results be damned. Head scratching if you ask me. I love the kid back there.
So true. And as I noted elsewhere, he's not a cherry picker. His fair catch ratio is fairly low, which means he's not just running back the ones where the punter out-kicked his coverage.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched some more tape on Ty and my gosh is the kid smooth. He looks so cerebral when he has the ball in his hands and when he sees a hole he attacks it and it's off to the races. TM looks to have a ton of natural talent and the fact he already looks to have his "man muscles" should only aid his cause. Wow he is going to be fun to watch and I also think he would be an excellent option out of the backfield ala 18. Imagine a diamond set with Ty, Cobb and Lacy in the backfield together. OK, I will slow down. This pick is one that has crept up on me but damn I am loving this kid and his attitude more and more as the days pass. He could end up being the best player we got out of the draft. Teddy just finds those round 2 and 3 wideouts that turn into ballers. Below is a video compliments of Packers.com so forgive me if they are all the same plays as the video posted earlier in the thread. Again, smoooooth is the best way I can explain this kid. I had a co-worker buddy of mine (huge Boys fan...like just about everyone around me) watch the highlights and the first thing he said is "that kid looks like DeMarco." Watching DeMarco (Murray) play at OU for a few years and then in Dallas he always struck me as smooth but with a touch of physicality as well. If you compare their open field running styles the similarities are striking and that's a pretty darn good compliment. Watch the video and tell me you don't think smoooooth...I dare ya!

http://www.packers.com/media-center...one_shot/dcc382c9-a50d-49ce-905b-3e50c1689bfc

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So true. And as I noted elsewhere, he's not a cherry picker. His fair catch ratio is fairly low, which means he's not just running back the ones where the punter out-kicked his coverage.
Exactly, plus I don't have that "oh crap" feeling when he's back there fielding one. He is a steady, trustworthy return man that has made some big plays for us. He returned 14 punts for 221 yards last year (15.8 avg) with 2 going to the house. He fielded another 3 for 40 yards (13.3 avg) in the postseason. That's pretty good in this fan's eyes and I hope he gets to continue serving this role. Good player.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The title we won in '10 was pure luck - at least in terms of the path we had to follow to get there, i.e. we played 4 very flawed teams in the playoffs and Superbowl - flawed enough that we could steal a title. If any one of those teams was as good as Seattle or SF or NE of these past few years - we wouldn't have won the Superbowl in '10.

WTH are you talking about??? We beat the 3 seed, 1 seed and the 2 seed in the NFC just to make the SB and then we beat the AFCs #2 seed to win it.

Unless your argument is 2010 had the worst quality of play across the league in history. The ONLY way it gets tougher is if we played the Patriots in the SB that yearas I believe they were the 1 seed in the AFC......

Pittsburg had a top flight D and a championship pettigree. Chicago was a damn good team and Philly was pretty damn good also. You might make a case for Atlanta being overated that year but they still had the best record in the conference and we blew them out in their own house.

3 road games against the top 3 seeds in the conference and then the 2 seed in the AFC. Good lord I hope we never get that lucky ever again. Its literally one of the hardest roads ever through the playoffs to win it all.....

But ya know details

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ty-montgomery?id=2552429

TRENGTHS
Built like a full-grown man. Body type resembles that of a running back with well-defined, muscular legs. Foot quickness to create separation on short to intermediate routes. Played outside, from slot, as a tailback and as a wildcat quarterback. Displays good lateral movement and balance with ball in his hands. Works to be a plus run blocker. Has size and determination to be used to crack-block ends. Good, not great run-after-catch potential. Scouts believe he can be a Pro Bowl returner. Scored four times over last two seasons as a returner. Strong personal character and considered an "accountable teammate" by coaching staff.

WEAKNESSES
Doesn't display natural wide receiver characteristics. Needs more than just polish with routes and must incorporate route diversity at some point. Averaged just 9.9 yards per catch in 2014. Extremely suspect hands with 16 drops and three fumbles over his last three seasons. Allows throws to get on top of him. Hands lack supple qualities and his catch radius is smaller than desired. His confidence has been questioned by scouting community. His body of work as a receiver hasn't matched his physical potential. Has had only one season of significant touchdown production. Tightly wound with scouts questioning if he's too muscled.

DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 3 or 4

Also did u see his greatest return blunder, it also was forced and recovered by another rookie Packer this year Demetrius Randall the kid can ball too.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a terrible pick... the Randall was probably worse b/c it was a 1sr rounder, but wasting a 3rd round pick on a guy whose ceiling is that of a #4 WR and a kick returner??

No matter who TT drafts later on in this draft - I don't see how he can salvage anything from this draft.

Rollins is a good player, but will take time to develop; Randall's upside is that of a nickelback; and Montgomery is at best a special teams ace - just a joke of a draft.

Look at Demarious Randall highlights and look at his play with Ty Montgomery as the return man, he not only forces the fumble but also recovers it.
Randall can hold his own.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who's to say he couldnt replace him in running the ball out of the backfield as well? If he does??? Does Cobb and his 10/mil a year salary become a tradable asset??? Could net a couple 1sts for him I bet?

Montgomery will probably be the kickoff returner in 2015 but I agree with several posters that I prefer Hyde to continue to return punts. It´s possible the Packers will use Montgomery out of the backfield and on WR screens and hitches.

But I really don´t think he will ever turn into a receiver even close to Cobb´s talent. While he´s capable of making catches coming back to the ball and facing it he has huge troubles tracking the ball over his head.

If you have some time here´s a detailled scouting report about him:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Even if Montgomery turns out to be an impact WR the Packers won´t even think about trading Cobb for a moment.

H

HardRightEdge

Exactly, plus I don't have that "oh crap" feeling when he's back there fielding one. He is a steady, trustworthy return man that has made some big plays for us. He returned 14 punts for 221 yards last year (15.8 avg) with 2 going to the house. He fielded another 3 for 40 yards (13.3 avg) in the postseason. That's pretty good in this fan's eyes and I hope he gets to continue serving this role. Good player.
Let's add natural hands fielding the ball.

H

HardRightEdge

How can he have bad hands as a receiver and good hands catching kicks? Maybe standing still vrs running?

Kid needs to run around with 12 JUGS machines slinging footballs at him.
We were discussing Hyde, not Montgomery.

H

HardRightEdge

Also did u see his greatest return blunder, it also was forced and recovered by another rookie Packer this year Demetrius Randall the kid can ball too.
I'd like to see that. How about a link?

Edit: Never mind. I found it. It's at 0:30 in the following link. Now, explain to me what Randall did on this play besides shove a guy and fall on the ball. There was no "forcing" by Randall.

He does look like he'll be playing gunner at least on KOs with House gone and Bush unsigned and likely gone as well. He'd be the gunner on punts too if can evade the double-team blocking that's favored in the NFL when playing for return vs. kick block.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online