3rd round WR Ty Montgomery

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picks are made for the player they will be, not what they are right now.

Besides, didn't even justify your thought on him like I asked. Said it a different way and then went on a rant.

And wasn't corner a need?

Sure, CB is a need... I like Rollins - a lot. He's the kind of CB we need, tough, good tackler.

Randall simply isn't tough enough to be a 1st round pick, and Montgomery plays a position of existing strength - how do those picks fix our problems and make us better next year??

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure about the Montgommery pick. Hands of those things that is difficult for players to improve. Interesting player otherwise.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, CB is a need... I like Rollins - a lot. He's the kind of CB we need, tough, good tackler.

Randall simply isn't tough enough to be a 1st round pick, and Montgomery plays a position of existing strength - how do those picks fix our problems and make us better next year??

I still just asking you why you have such a harsh analysis of Montgomery. Why is he at best a special teams player?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand this dislike for Hyde as a punt returner. Put his stats together from the last 2 years and he's been arguably the most productive punt returner in the league.

Micah Hyde may not be a superstar, but he seems to do everything asked of him well. He's reliable, doesn't make major gaffes. With Tramon Williams and Davon House gone, more will be asked of him in the secondary this year, and perhaps that means a reduced role on special teams.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty Montgomery looks like a Randall Cobb clone. He looks like a damn RB playing WR. Huge and bulked up.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Randall Cobb looks like a huge bulked up RB playing WR?

H

HardRightEdge

Micah Hyde may not be a superstar, but he seems to do everything asked of him well. He's reliable, doesn't make major gaffes. With Tramon Williams and Davon House gone, more will be asked of him in the secondary this year, and perhaps that means a reduced role on special teams.
I doubt it. McCarthy stated he wants to use more starters on special teams.

With Hyde, I don't see his defensive role expanding. If the first two picks in this draft materialize as the fan boys would have it, Hyde's role could contract.

For now he looks set at nickel, and as a backup FS, the same role as last season after Dix was elevated to starting FS. If one the rookies steals the cover corner job from Hayward, then Hayward and Hyde will likely split time again. Or Randall could push him down the depth chart at FS. Hayward will be a free agent after this season which plays into the equation.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After looking up some profiles on Montgomery, it looks like we'll at least have a legitimate return guy other than Cobb.

Hyde already was, at least at PR. And, wasn't one of the first two picks a returner, too? First three rounds isn't someplace we need to be looking for ST guys. Nothing you say is wrong, but having to at "at least" to a
Maybe not for a team that had STs has such a big reason we lost the NFC championship.

I obviously don't know. Just throwing out a possibility.

Isn't one of the knocks on Ty that he has 'bad hands'? If so, considering the dropped onside kick, I don't see that he's much of an upgrade. :)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde already was, at least at PR. And, wasn't one of the first two picks a returner, too? First three rounds isn't someplace we need to be looking for ST guys. Nothing you say is wrong, but having to at "at least" to a

Isn't one of the knocks on Ty that he has 'bad hands'? If so, considering the dropped onside kick, I don't see that he's much of an upgrade. :)

Not just referring to the hands team. He's a good returner and can play on any coverage unit.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's certainly not ready for prime time.

Maybe he'll develop over time, but in terms of the Green Bay Packers franchise - the time should be NOW!!!

We're close to a championship, and TT should be making moves to put us over the top - NOW!!!

All of these picks were for the distant future, not now... we've definitely taken steps backward this offseason, and we weren't good enough last season. We were close, but not good enough... so, logically, we should fill those holes that are shortcomings and make a push for a championship - should we not??

Instead of shoring up our weaknesses, TT is drafting to ensure that holes that may exist in 3 years will be covered by players drafted today. The only problem with that is this is the "Wack-a-mole" approach, b/c there are always holes to fill.

We are a worse football team today than we were when we lost the NFCC game - and obviously we weren't good enough then.

That is the problem I have with these picks. We still have major holes on our roster, and TT has done nothing to address them.

Wist, our squad last year was a special teams flop away from the Super Bowl.

This year we lack true depth at ILB but we have solid(possibly plus) starters between SamBar and Clay. At DL we have improved our depth with Thornton and Raji returning. At Corner we've lost a good starter and depth, which we've possibly reloaded. As for improvement, IMHO I think players like Boyd, Barrington, Dix, Matthews at ILB, all stand for some improvement. The only player I'm worried about is Peppers, who showed declining pass rush ability last season.

ILB was an awkward position in this draft. Not much talent or depth with the top guys slated to go high in the second round. Even Kendricks was likely overrated with lack of depth at the position. I will confess that I wish they would have reached on Kendricks instead of rolling the dice on Randall.

D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery will most likely return kickoffs and maybe punts for the Packers next season. He has terrible hands and I doubt he will ever see snaps at WR.

The team could use him as a RB though. Last season only four receivers notched more missed tackles forced than Montgomery’s 17, and the lowest number of receptions amongst them had 45 more than the Stanford Cardinal.

He averaged 12.4 yards per carry on wide receiver runs (end arounds etc), but a respectable 4.8 yards per carry on conventional running back carries.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're not drafting special teams players with top 3 round picks. You don't draft players that early for special teams contributions. Our best special teams players over the last 10 years have been Tracy White, Bush, and Richardson. None were drafted.

I'm not saying these guys won't contribute on special teams or even that it wasn't a factor, but you don't draft guys in the first 3 rounds to play special teams. No doubt they envision them playing bigger roles. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

D

Deleted member 6794

We're not drafting special teams players with top 3 round picks. You don't draft players that early for special teams contributions. Our best special teams players over the last 10 years have been Tracy White, Bush, and Richardson. None were drafted.

I'm not saying these guys won't contribute on special teams or even that it wasn't a factor, but you don't draft guys in the first 3 rounds to play special teams. No doubt they envision them playing bigger roles. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

I agree that Randall and Rollins aren't special teams players but I really don't see Montgomery getting snaps on offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no way a WR drafted in the 3rd round doesn't get snaps on offense. It's not like we are loaded after Adams.

Montgomery is a bad receiver with terrible hands. I was surprised he was drafted in the third round.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery will most likely return kickoffs and maybe punts for the Packers next season. He has terrible hands and I doubt he will ever see snaps at WR.

I doubt you are correct. Yes he had drop issues but maybe just maybe our staff saw something that they think the could fix. Over 120 catches the last 2 years. He can catch a little already

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Who was Greg Jennings with Rodgers? A top 10 receiver on a championship team and an Old Spice endorsement. Who was Greg Jennings without Rodgers? An average player on a very bad team who was cut because his contract was too high for his production and finally got picked up by his old OC on another mediocre team.

Who was Davante Adams? James Jones?

Point is, Rodgers makes nearly ANY receiver better, so if Montgomery has any talent, Rodgers can likely make him shine.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who was Greg Jennings with Rodgers? A top 10 receiver on a championship team and an Old Spice endorsement. Who was Greg Jennings without Rodgers? An average player on a very bad team who was cut because his contract was too high for his production and finally got picked up by his old OC on another mediocre team.

Who was Davante Adams? James Jones?

Point is, Rodgers makes nearly ANY receiver better, so if Montgomery has any talent, Rodgers can likely make him shine.

Rodgers won't target him if he continues to have issues with drops though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers won't target him if he continues to have issues with drops though.

I foresee a lot of screen passes, sweeps and even some out of the backfield stuff....worst case. Best case he gets better at it like James Jones did. His athleticism is worth a freaking 2nd round pick....but his pass catching skills are worse than some undrafted guys....we shall see.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still just asking you why you have such a harsh analysis of Montgomery. Why is he at best a special teams player?

He may well be a good player - he looks good on tape; but he has his warts too...

That said, even if he is a good player - that will land him where on the depth chart?? #4 WR?? So he'll see the field only in those spread formations, and will be Rodgers 4th read most of the time??

We're close to a championship now - or at least we were close. TT has done nothing to improve what we were lacking from last year, i.e. most notably ILB. We were terrible at ILB last year, and we've gotten worse there if for no other reason than we only have 1 viable ILB on the roster.

We also regressed at CB. Now TT did address CB, but he did so with a very questionable 1st round pick. Rollins in the 2nd round was solid though.

Even with both of those guys coming on board, we've regressed at CB as well... I absolutely hate the Randall pick. Good speed, good ball skills - but just a terrible tackler, and soft doesn't begin to describe how terrible he is in run support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those things being said - how does Montgomery help to fix our biggest problems?? He may help on ST, but who cares about ST if your team can't even begin to stop the run - and your GM did nothing about in the offseason?? An offseason that should have dedicated to making the few moves necessary to fix our problems and get us over the top to a championship.

Instead, TT drafted guys today in the hopes that they will pan out in 4 years - and said to hell with next year.

And while TT is twiddling his thumbs playing for the future - Clay is another year older, Rodgers is another year older, etc...

We've had close to 25 years of HOF QB'ing to enjoy, and we only have 2 championships in that span?? And NE has how many?? What's wrong with that picture??

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may well be a good player - he looks good on tape; but he has his warts too...

That said, even if he is a good player - that will land him where on the depth chart?? #4 WR?? So he'll see the field only in those spread formations, and will be Rodgers 4th read most of the time??

We're close to a championship now - or at least we were close. TT has done nothing to improve what we were lacking from last year, i.e. most notably ILB. We were terrible at ILB last year, and we've gotten worse there if for no other reason than we only have 1 viable ILB on the roster.

We also regressed at CB. Now TT did address CB, but he did so with a very questionable 1st round pick. Rollins in the 2nd round was solid though.

Even with both of those guys coming on board, we've regressed at CB as well... I absolutely hate the Randall pick. Good speed, good ball skills - but just a terrible tackler, and soft doesn't begin to describe how terrible he is in run support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those things being said - how does Montgomery help to fix our biggest problems?? He may help on ST, but who cares about ST if your team can't even begin to stop the run - and your GM did nothing about in the offseason?? An offseason that should have dedicated to making the few moves necessary to fix our problems and get us over the top to a championship.

Instead, TT drafted guys today in the hopes that they will pan out in 4 years - and said to hell with next year.

And while TT is twiddling his thumbs playing for the future - Clay is another year older, Rodgers is another year older, etc...

We've had close to 25 years of HOF QB'ing to enjoy, and we only have 2 championships in that span?? And NE has how many?? What's wrong with that picture??

TT is really saying he hell with next year? Come on man. The draft does have 4 rounds left by the way.

I can tell you're one of those negative guys who probably can't be convinced otherwise.

Just want to point out that if you always compare us to an exception like the Patriots, you will always be disappointed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Just one example of the gross exaggerations and nonsense you've been posting.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing to me how some guys can declare a draft awful when it's not even half over. We won't even see these guys play in an actual NFL game for months.

Somehow though there's no way to draft good guys in rounds 4-7 and there's already no way some guys we have picked will be any good...

It looks like an effort to be as negative and illogical as possible.

Last edited:

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is really saying he hell with next year? Come on man. The draft does have 4 rounds left by the way.

I can tell you're one of those negative guys who probably can't be convinced otherwise.

Just want to point out that if you always compare us to an exception like the Patriots, you will always be disappointed.

Why would the Patriots be an exception - they have a HOF QB, but ours is better, is he not??

So they have a HOF QB, and we have better HOF QB - yet they win championships, and we tread water as a perennial playoff team that can't get over the hump??

The difference between them and us - is they push for championships and adjust their roster to fill holes. TT just keeps plodding along with his 4 years hence approach - which is unlikely to fill current holes enough to get us over the top. That is the difference between the Patriots and the Packers.

The title we won in '10 was pure luck - at least in terms of the path we had to follow to get there, i.e. we played 4 very flawed teams in the playoffs and Superbowl - flawed enough that we could steal a title. If any one of those teams was as good as Seattle or SF or NE of these past few years - we wouldn't have won the Superbowl in '10.