1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

3rd round WR Ty Montgomery

Discussion in '2015 Draft Archive' started by longtimefan, May 1, 2015.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Stanford College

Just shy of 6 feet

Mike Mayock said before the season people said he could be a 1st rounder

2. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    Whatever.

Not saying these picks will bust but this has been the most frustrating Packer draft I ever watched.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gutpunch77

Gutpunch77 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    I agree very frustrating. There first pick had/has me confused

4. JamesCA

JamesCA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    After looking up some profiles on Montgomery, it looks like we'll at least have a legitimate return guy other than Cobb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ty-montgomery?id=2552429

TRENGTHS
    Built like a full-grown man. Body type resembles that of a running back with well-defined, muscular legs. Foot quickness to create separation on short to intermediate routes. Played outside, from slot, as a tailback and as a wildcat quarterback. Displays good lateral movement and balance with ball in his hands. Works to be a plus run blocker. Has size and determination to be used to crack-block ends. Good, not great run-after-catch potential. Scouts believe he can be a Pro Bowl returner. Scored four times over last two seasons as a returner. Strong personal character and considered an "accountable teammate" by coaching staff.

WEAKNESSES
    Doesn't display natural wide receiver characteristics. Needs more than just polish with routes and must incorporate route diversity at some point. Averaged just 9.9 yards per catch in 2014. Extremely suspect hands with 16 drops and three fumbles over his last three seasons. Allows throws to get on top of him. Hands lack supple qualities and his catch radius is smaller than desired. His confidence has been questioned by scouting community. His body of work as a receiver hasn't matched his physical potential. Has had only one season of significant touchdown production. Tightly wound with scouts questioning if he's too muscled.

DRAFT PROJECTION
    Round 3 or 4

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,726
    I don't understand this dislike for Hyde as a punt returner. Put his stats together from the last 2 years and he's been arguably the most productive punt returner in the league.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    In three really good athletes, including a WR at a non-need position, TT could be taking special teams play into account. These three guys can contribute in all areas of special teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +368
    People say we're stacked at WR, but after Jordy, Cobb and Adams, we have Jeff Janis, Miles White and Jared
    Abbrederis. That's not exactly "stacked" with talent, so we'll see what Montgomery will bring.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,726
    What this tells me is they're not very comfortable with Janis or Abbrederis as the #4. Without a highly productive TE, the Packers can't afford to go with just a guy at WR if one of the top 3 get hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JamesCA

JamesCA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    It's not a dislike of Hyde, but when you look at our secondary's experience I don't like to think of him getting hurt returning a punt. A guy like Montgomery won't be integral to the offense the way Hyde is important to the defense.

11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,726
    If special teams is anything but a very minor factor in the first 3 rounds, something is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    I seen those kick returns for TDs on his clip, and he gets up field. When there is a hole, he's gone! And 6'221 he basicly is a RB. Not basicly, he's built like a big RB. He likes to block, and prides himself +1 in run blocking. He's a GB WR.

1st round pick if not for the drops ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,726
    There's some merit to that I suppose, but it would not be enough for me to pull him. What I was questioning though was your statement that Cobb is the only legitimate return man.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  14. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Ty Montgomery looks like a Randall Cobb clone. He looks like a damn RB playing WR. Huge and bulked up.

15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,726
    Grade: meh

16. Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +200
    When James Jones came into the NFL he had a drop problem
    But worked on his hands until he had fly paper hands. While Montgomery had the worst hands in the nation among major college receivers he could develop his skills and not become a liability. The only caveat is that he has to do it right away. If he comes in and drops a lot of passes and fumbles MM won't tolerate it and he will ride the pines.

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,726
    It will be interesting to see the camp reports on Randall trying to tackle this guy on a bubble screen. I hope Montgomery (can we call him "Monty"?) doesn't hurt him.

18. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    They played against each other in College in the Pac12. So I'm sure he's tackled Montgomery before.

Mr Negative Nancy.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Montgomery is a much larger man than Cobb. His hands are almost an inch bigger too. He has mits. Look at those legs...

[​IMG]

20. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    Maybe not for a team that had STs has such a big reason we lost the NFC championship.

I obviously don't know. Just throwing out a possibility.

21. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Good lord, that dude is swoll

22. wist43

wist43 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    Just a terrible pick... the Randall was probably worse b/c it was a 1sr rounder, but wasting a 3rd round pick on a guy whose ceiling is that of a #4 WR and a kick returner??

No matter who TT drafts later on in this draft - I don't see how he can salvage anything from this draft.

Rollins is a good player, but will take time to develop; Randall's upside is that of a nickelback; and Montgomery is at best a special teams ace - just a joke of a draft.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  23. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Yet more Hyperbole from the resident idiot, LOL

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,726
    That's when Randall was playing safety. A free safety is what he is. When he has ball carriers coming at him, he goes for the toes or doesn't wrap up. He could get a foot in the eye is all I'm saying.

"Negative Nancy"? Maybe you should get your nose out of Thompson's a** and try to form your own opinions, providing you have a clue what to look for.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  25. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,726
    Name calling can get you banned you know. As it should.

• Disagree Disagree x 1