2023 Salary cap riddle

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm good with Crosby coming back. Of course it depends on the numbers, and though I think his leg strength is down some, he looked pretty good from 50 on in. Made kicks look easy again. Very routine, like good kickers do. I still think competition needs to be brought in and he needs to win the job. I'm guessing he'll get a decent bonus and small salary so that would make it less likely he'd be cut by a close competition because that money will be sunk. Ideally it would be not much guaranteed and larger salary and if beaten out, can cut losses and move on. But I don't see that happening.

I think Bakht showed he was moving past the knee issues as the season went on. I still worry, but not as much. The money is paid mostly, he's top 5 or better at the position, and we have a need. Perfectly happy keeping him though I know it could burn us should he be injured again.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but now I'm confused. You think Rodgers won't take less money but has to give up money :eek:

The Packers needed to create cap space to even get under the cap for next season. Those moves were to be expected. It will be interesting to see if they do it with some other players (Bakhtiari, Clark, Gary) as well. If that happens it might indicate they want to go all-in for at least another season.
And there you go:

Packers restructure contract of DL Kenny Clark, create $11M of salary cap space

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't think any of these moves indicate anything to do with Rodgers. Sure it could be moving money to try and get more room to gain players to make a push with Rodgers one last time.

Or it could just as easily be, move some money, get Rodgers' money off the books this year and continue to build a team around Love.

I'm not reading much into these moves other than they're moves that probably needed to be made in either scenario in order to field a competitive team.

Reaction score
on the surface this is looking like making an option for a Rodgers return. Obviously these are all guys that were no brainers to keep, but the freeing up of Cap Space would likely give GB maneuverability to resign our most key internal guys.

Personally the only way I would keep Aaron is if he restructured at a slightly lower cost and making it highly punitive to him if he’s not here 3 seasons. He’s not playing at $50m+ and thus his compensation should be equal to his worth and that’s around $40-45m market value

Anything beneath that offer, such as him playing 1 more year? It just isn’t worth it to me. Just suck it up and move on if he plays stubborn. We’re here to win, not fight with players or play out an episode of One Life To Live.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
on the surface this is looking like making an option for a Rodgers return. Obviously these are all guys that were no brainers to keep, but the freeing up of Cap Space would likely give GB maneuverability to resign our most key internal guys.
I'm hoping it is due to them wanting to surround Love with enough talent to at least start his full time career with some limited success. ;)

Reaction score
I'm hoping it is due to them wanting to surround Love with enough talent to at least start his full time career with some limited success. ;)
One things for sure. If #12 goes? So do about 3-4 of his buddies. IF we go that route we need to start fresh and quit retaining his His School buddies. ;)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Personally the only way I would keep Aaron is if he restructured at a slightly lower cost and making it highly punitive to him if he’s not here 3 seasons. He’s not playing at $50m+ and thus his compensation should be equal to his worth and that’s around $40-45m market value

Anything beneath that offer, such as him playing 1 more year? It just isn’t worth it to me. Just suck it up and move on if he plays stubborn. We’re here to win, not fight with players or play out an episode of One Life To Live.
Or clearing space to absorb the rodgers cap hit

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One things for sure. If #12 goes? So do about 3-4 of his buddies. IF we go that route we need to start fresh and quit retaining his His School buddies. ;)

Honestly I think only Cobb/Lazard/Tonyan are the ones left outside in the cold. Mason is all but confirmed by Gute will be back, Big Dog made it clear he wants back because of MLF/Staff.

So unless I hear one or more of the three I listed are coming back, I personally atleast, don't envision 12 back.

Reaction score
Honestly I think only Cobb/Lazard/Tonyan are the ones left outside in the cold. Mason is all but confirmed by Gute will be back, Big Dog made it clear he wants back because of MLF/Staff.

So unless I hear one or more of the three I listed are coming back, I personally atleast, don't envision 12 back.
Exactly what I was going to say. Those guys are inextricably linked to #12.
Not so much Crosby, he’s as tenured as Rodgers and he’s been retained for 2 decades on pure performance.
Marcedes is Marcedes. We value blocking and he’s one of the best pure blocking TE’s in the league and he’s cheaper money wise. Good, humble, hardworking teammate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Exactly what I was going to say. Those guys are inextricably linked to #12.
Not so much Crosby, he’s as tenured as Rodgers and he’s been retained for 2 decades on pure performance.

I tend to disagree with your statement about Crosby ;)

In addition I don't believe the Packers bringing any of Rodgers' buddies back has a significant effect on him wanting to return.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this anything like those that knew if AR stayed, so would Davante?

Oh man I remember getting absolutely blasted for my opinion on that; I was about as confident as you could get that Davante wanted out, he didn't care if Packers paid him the money, or if 12 was staying - he wanted out. My signature still makes me chuckle as it reminds me of those conversations...now to be fair though to quick he is just the one that got quoted in the signature - there were tons of others too.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The next biggest question is Bahk's contract...as he is the last bit of space to be had:

1 - Do we do a maximum restructure for a BIG push forward and need his permission saves around $12M
2 - A no need permission basic restructure could save around $7.5M (no void years)
3 - Traded saves $5.7M if pre-June

4 - Fourth Option would be a restructure like Jones that maybe like Jones even includes a cut slightly.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now that the A-Rod deal is done, the Packers can figure out where their cap stands.

If the Spotrac numbers are right, they are going to need to free up a lot more space to sign their draft class and UDFA's. I am guessing my math is wrong or at least I hope it is!

2023 Adj. Spending Cap: $226,782,720

-Active Contracts: $165,933,674
-Dead Cap: $ 57,286,686

2023 Current Cap Hit: $223,220,360

Current Est. Avail. Cap Space: $3,562,360

-Est. Draft class cap hit: $12,767,821

Estimate Cap Deficit: $9,205,461

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that the Jets are on the hook for his 58.3 million bonus the day before the season and that were out from under his contract. Haven't had time to check around but I don't think that this affects our cap hits in any way. By the way Ken Ingals is my go-to guy for the Packers cap

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know that the Jets are on the hook for his 58.3 million bonus the day before the season and that were out from under his contract. Haven't had time to check around but I don't think that this affects our cap hits in any way. By the way Ken Ingals is my go-to guy for the Packers cap

I hope you are right, but I think the Packers still have to account for the past dead cap money that was accumulated on Rodgers ($40,313,568).

Again, hope I am wrong and pretty sure that I am. Just wanted to get the discussion going, before we all get lost in the drafted players.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the A-Rod deal is done, the Packers can figure out where their cap stands.

If the Spotrac numbers are right, they are going to need to free up a lot more space to sign their draft class and UDFA's. I am guessing my math is wrong or at least I hope it is!

2023 Adj. Spending Cap: $226,782,720

-Active Contracts: $165,933,674
-Dead Cap: $ 57,286,686

2023 Current Cap Hit: $223,220,360

Current Est. Avail. Cap Space: $3,562,360

-Est. Draft class cap hit: $12,767,821

Estimate Cap Deficit: $9,205,461
The rookie pool amount for GB is approx. $13.3mil (which uses pick #13 instead of OTC's #15 value), but the cap hit is actually only around $5Mil as most of the picks won't be included in the top-51 salaries that count towards the cap.

Don't know about the rest of your math, but OTC's got the Packers right now at $11.909Mil space available. Minus the rookie pool cap of approx. $5Mil that "only" leaves $6.9Mil available which is generally the amount TT/Gute keep available in-season to cover FA signings to fill gaping roster holes due to injury, as well as PS-to-active roster moves.

Extending Gary could free-up a few $million with cap-magic IF they want/need to go that route sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The rookie pool amount for GB is approx. $13.3mil (which uses pick #13 instead of OTC's #15 value), but the cap hit is actually only around $5Mil as most of the picks won't be included in the top-51 salaries that count towards the cap.

Don't know about the rest of your math, but OTC's got the Packers right now at $11.909Mil space available. Minus the rookie pool cap of approx. $5Mil that "only" leaves $6.9Mil available which is generally the amount TT/Gute keep available in-season to cover FA signings to fill gaping roster holes due to injury, as well as PS-to-active roster moves.

Extending Gary could free-up a few $million with cap-magic IF they want/need to go that route sooner rather than later.
Again, I was hoping the numbers I got off Spotrac were wrong, so if you are right, I am very happy. I have read 3 articles posted since yesterday about the updated cap situation for the Packers and all 3 differ in numbers. :roflmao:

No matter what those numbers turn out to be, getting out from underneath Rodgers after this season is big. Not having to carry anything forward to 2024, is a huge plus and added frosting to the draft picks they got for him.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
cap hit is actually only around $5Mil as most of the picks won't be included in the top-51 salaries that count towards the cap.
Thanks for pointing this part out, I always assumed all players counted, not just the top 51 salaries. Ignore my numbers and thanks for the schooling. :)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is actually kind of scary and the results of all this can kicking. 25% of our cap is Dead Money (player isn't a Packer).

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
TBF, that only applies during training camp. At final cutdown, all 53 and your practice squad all apply.
Thanks and the cap has always been as confusing as the Compensatory pic formula for me.

I assume that any FA players that are signed after the season starts, also need to be accounted for on the cap? I remember something about Vet. min being exempt from that, but I probably should just leave the numbers to Russ Ball.

Members online

Latest posts