2023 Salary cap riddle

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fifth year to me isn’t risky, if Rodgers isn’t here you’re gonna have a cheap overall QB room even if Love doesn’t show he is good enough and a rookie is in there with him being paid fifth year option money and essentially fighting for the spot or as backup

Reaction score
The fifth year to me isn’t risky, if Rodgers isn’t here you’re gonna have a cheap overall QB room even if Love doesn’t show he is good enough and a rookie is in there with him being paid fifth year option money and essentially fighting for the spot or as backup
It’s very true. $20mil is cheap for a starting QB. Drafting the first QB in a draft is $10m on his Rookie contract.
In the event #12 removes himself from the equation, applying the 5th year option is a very easy and logical avenue over starting from scratch at nearly half that cost.

D

Deleted member 6794

The alternative, however, is what the NY Giants are experiencing right now. They didn't 5th year option Daniel Jones last May @ $22Mil and are now faced with Franchise Tagging him at $32.4Mil (Non-exclusive Tag amount). Does Gute risk NOT paying Love the 5th year @ $20.27mil and having him potentially play well, in which case Love would cost $35Mil on the Tag (or more on a long-term deal)?

The Packers would only benefit from having to pay less money for a good starting quarterback for a single season by exercising the fifth year option on Love if he turns out to be one. I don't want them to risk having to pay him $20 million if he doesn't though.

I definitely wouldn't want the Packers to have to pay Love a fully guaranteed $20 million if he turns not to be good enough to be a starting quarterback.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would only benefit from having to pay less money for a good starting quarterback for a single season by exercising the fifth year option on Love if he turns out to be one. I don't want them to risk having to pay him $20 million if he doesn't though.

I definitely wouldn't want the Packers to have to pay Love a fully guaranteed $20 million if he turns not to be good enough to be a starting quarterback.

Want to, of course no one would - not a single soul alive would. However think of the fiscal risk and make the calll if worth it. The QB room as a whole would still be cheap however, and would be one year where your paying him more than you should - most likely you have a cheap veteran or a new rookie in house in 2024 if Love proved not a starter - and fiscally you just let it play out and be done with him then.

If Love is a starter and say Rodgers I gone and this is his year, but you don’t pick up the fifth year - your 2024 hit for him is going to be much more - or you lose him to FA.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That time of year when the front office has to start crunching numbers, figure out a way to have a competitive roster and eventually get under the cap.

This is a pretty decent article to get us started on the discussion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say with as friendly as Preston’s deal already was I’m a little worried this room could be a sign of 12 wanting back and wanting some others back - BEFORE ANYONE RUNS WITH THIS I am purely espousing a thought as I envisioned some restructures (Aaron Jones made sense regardless)….but kicking the can further and further was not something I envisioned unless we had a massive QB hit to absorb - either way yes there is a hit and perhaps Gute is merely making room to hopefully build around a young QB some for his first year.

Time will tell - neither of these guys were going anywhere. One is one of the best at his position in the league when he wants to be and the other is arguably a Top 20 guy at his position in the league when at his best and has a NICE contract for his role and is our best OLB of the healthy ones.

Reaction score
I will say with as friendly as Preston’s deal already was I’m a little worried this room could be a sign of 12 wanting back and wanting some others back - BEFORE ANYONE RUNS WITH THIS I am purely espousing a thought as I envisioned some restructures (Aaron Jones made sense regardless)….but kicking the can further and further was not something I envisioned unless we had a massive QB hit to absorb - either way yes there is a hit and perhaps Gute is merely making room to hopefully build around a young QB some for his first year.

Time will tell - neither of these guys were going anywhere. One is one of the best at his position in the league when he wants to be and the other is arguably a Top 20 guy at his position in the league when at his best and has a NICE contract for his role and is our best OLB of the healthy ones.
Well said. I was about to say something to a similar effect but yours sounded better!

Reaction score
Could very well be we restructure #12 into a slightly lesser Per year deal but one that allows us to get another 2-3 seasons using our typical signing bonus’, void years etc. there’s a way to do that, but to me it would be crucial to have Aaron work with us a little and shave $5-7m per season to keep him. Then reciprocate by getting him a reliable RG/RT. Go find a legit Veteran WR in that $6-12m range instead of digging through Sammy scraps or in conjunction spend 2 of the top 3 draft picks on Offense.
#15 TE
2nd Edge
3rd WR
4th DB

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Could very well be we restructure #12 into a slightly lesser Per year deal but one that allows us to get another 2-3 seasons using our typical signing bonus’, void years etc. there’s a way to do that, but to me it would be crucial to have Aaron work with us a little and shave $5-7m per season to keep him. Then get him a reliable RG/RT. Go find a legit Veteran WR in that $6-12m range instead of digging through Sammy scraps.
Sadly, I don't see Aaron giving up any money. Matter of fact, wouldn't shock me if he tried to get more, especially if a restructure of his contract potentially benefited the team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron won’t take less, and restructuring further shoves more issues into t the future to where even if Love is the next HOF we won’t be able to afford his contract and Rodgers hit once he retires.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Love is a starter and say Rodgers I gone and this is his year, but you don’t pick up the fifth year - your 2024 hit for him is going to be much more - or you lose him to FA.

The Packers could re-sign Love during the 2023 season if he proves to be a legit starter as well. That could result in his cap hit in 2024 being significantly lower than playing under the fifth-year option as well. The team took the same approach with Rodgers back in 2008.

The Packers had to create some additional cap space to even get under the cap before March 15, so I don't consider any of those moves indicate anything about the direction they're headed at this point. I read somewhere that the front office approached Bakhtiari and Clark about restructuring their deals as well, that might mean they want to go all-in for at lest another year.

Aaron won’t take less, and restructuring further shoves more issues into t the future to where even if Love is the next HOF we won’t be able to afford his contract and Rodgers hit once he retires.

Once again, the Packers can't restructure Rodgers' deal to significantly reduce his cap hit for the 2023 season without him agreeing to forgo some guaranteed money.

I just want to make it abundantly clear that I'm only speculating here. But I get the impression that the Packers would only want Rodgers back if he commits to playing at least another two seasons. In that case they could agree to pay him the guaranteed money over two years which would allow them to significantly reduce his cap hit for 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, the Packers can't restructure Rodgers' deal to significantly reduce his cap hit for the 2023 season without him agreeing to forgo some guaranteed money.

I just want to make it abundantly clear that I'm only speculating here. But I get the impression that the Packers would only want Rodgers back if he commits to playing at least another two seasons. In that case they could agree to pay him the guaranteed money over two years which would allow them to significantly reduce his cap hit for 2023.

Capt, which is why I literally said he won't take less money. Of course he has to give up money.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Gutekunst is restructuring deals again this season to bring the cap hit down...Don't know how long he plans on kicking the can down the road, but it seems for one more season at least.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Gutekunst is restructuring deals again this season to bring the cap hit down...Don't know how long he plans on kicking the can down the road, but it seems for one more season at least.

If we see another big one or two happen I fully expect 12 is coming back and we are doing it all over again....at this point if 12 truly wants to be a non-hurdle to success he needs to willingly rip up his contract and say Gute give me $20M for a final season and let's roll. Go get me DHop or OBJ, add a veteran starting RT upgrade and let's go...

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we see another big one or two happen I fully expect 12 is coming back and we are doing it all over again....at this point if 12 truly wants to be a non-hurdle to success he needs to willingly rip up his contract and say Gute give me $20M for a final season and let's roll. Go get me DHop or OBJ, add a veteran starting RT upgrade and let's go...

I doubt any of that is going to happen - Especially the part about Aaron ripping up the contract - but I've been wrong before and not much surprises me any longer.

If I had to guess, I would speculate A-Rodg is going to finish his stellar career elsewhere.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt any of that is going to happen - Especially the part about Aaron ripping up the contract - but I've been wrong before and not much surprises me any longer.

If I had to guess, I would speculate A-Rodg is going to finish his stellar career elsewhere.

I give Aaron .00001% chance of doing that :) He would never IMO. But if he really wanted to "flip off" the media and narrative many have on him that would be an excellent way of doing it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Capt, which is why I literally said he won't take less money. Of course he has to give up money.

I'm sorry but now I'm confused. You think Rodgers won't take less money but has to give up money :eek:

The Packers needed to create cap space to even get under the cap for next season. Those moves were to be expected. It will be interesting to see if they do it with some other players (Bakhtiari, Clark, Gary) as well. If that happens it might indicate they want to go all-in for at least another season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but now I'm confused. You think Rodgers won't take less money but has to give up money :eek:

The Packers needed to create cap space to even get under the cap for next season. Those moves were to be expected. It will be interesting to see if they do it with some other players (Bakhtiari, Clark, Gary) as well. If that happens it might indicate they want to go all-in for at least another season.

I can no longer help you understand - moving on lol

Members online

Latest posts