2023 Draft Talk

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be disappointed if the Packers used a high pick on a CB, but that might tell us what they think of Stokes and/or Douglas. While a team can never have enough good corners, I also feel a team should try to focus on immediate needs first in the early rounds. I full expect Gute to draft a CB or 2, but not high.
This draft is pretty well stocked with corners. I’m fine if they take one after round 2, but not a first or second. Too many other needs, like TE, S, Edge, and OT.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I get that sentiment, but it depends on who it is at corner we take. Honestly, I think we could use a more physical corner like Witherspoon. If he's there and we picked him, I wouldn't be mad, but I would hope we make some moves to shore up some of the other weaknesses.
I like Witherspoon, but if there is a guy that improves the DL and has just as high of grade, I would select him. If our DL improves, I think that improves the secondary. I guess one could say "if you improve the secondary, it improves your DL". However, I would tend to think the first scenario (strengthen the DL) has a bigger impact on the whole defense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Witherspoon, but if there is a guy that improves the DL and has just as high of grade, I would select him. If our DL improves, I think that improves the secondary. I guess one could say "if you improve the secondary, it improves your DL". However, I would tend to think the first scenario (strengthen the DL) has a bigger impact on the whole defense.
It’s a virtuous cycle. If I had to choose, I’d prefer a solid DL. Corners and Safeties are more important ever so it’s a close call.

Reaction score
I haven't seen much conversation about who the Packers will have kicking in 2023. Seems like Mason might be done in GB.

If that is the case, I hope they use one of their four 7th round picks to lock in the best K available.

I'm kind of leaning towards N.C. State kicker Christopher Dunn or Michagan's Jake Moody.

Now if the Packers want a good Kicker and a guy with some size, Harrison Mevis from Missouri might be the guy. At 5'11" and 245 lbs, they might be able to use him as a FB on short yardage. :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I would love to see the Packers pick Chris Dunn. I have had this thought myself. Being an alumnus and fan of NC State, I have followed his career and watched him play. He is very good, and I think he has a bright future in the NFL ahead of him. He rarely misses, can make it from long distances, and he won the Lou Groza award last year while breaking almost all school records.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would love to see the Packers pick Chris Dunn. I have had this thought myself. Being an alumnus and fan of NC State, I have followed his career and watched him play. He is very good, and I think he has a bright future in the NFL ahead of him. He rarely misses, can make it from long distances, and he won the Lou Groza award last year while breaking almost all school records.
I can see the T-Shirts now!

Reaction score
If we added someone like Bresee and then got a reasonable Sophomore production jump from Wyatt? We could make a noticeable improvement very quickly.

That said. I think we all know why nobody threw the ball on us last season. We couldn’t stop the Run worth poop. That needs to get fixed yesterday. Bresee reminds me of a turbo version of Dean Lowry. I believe consistent pressure upfront forces teams to become more 1 dimensional. It starts with stopping the Run imo.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we added someone like Bresee and then got a reasonable Sophomore production jump from Wyatt? We could make a noticeable improvement very quickly.

That said. I think we all know why nobody threw the ball on us last season. We couldn’t stop the Run worth poop. That needs to get fixed yesterday. Bresee reminds me of a turbo version of Dean Lowry. I believe consistent pressure upfront forces teams to become more 1 dimensional. It starts with stopping the Run imo.

Gervon Dexter is one of my most wanted in defensive trenches after Day 1.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good pass rush helps the secondary. A good secondary can cover for not getting pressure. IMO a DB or E would be nice on day 1 or 2. Offensively a TE or WR need to be taken on day 1 or 2. IMO. Once the Rodgers trade is made and we know what other picks they have I will give my thoughts on those.

Reaction score
I have an idea on selecting Adebawore, but his primary drawback is I think he needs a year of refinement and he’s a later Round2, early Round3, top 75 overall player, which the only logical thing is to trade up slightly in Round 3.
I love the potential and I think he’s going to be really good in a year or two. If he makes it to our Round 3 selection I’d be all over him.
He’s position versatile at Edge or DL and if he gets a year of refinement under Rashan and Preston, he’d be really dynamic by 2024-2025. As it is I think he’s be a raw, but very serviceable Rookie rotational player due to his elite quickness and raw strength and low center of gravity. He reminds me of a young Mike Daniels, but Turbo version.

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know it's a dumb stance to take, but the track record for Clemson defenders has been pretty bad lately and it scares me from taking one of them. Especially, Murphy. He just screams potential bust to me after he slumped. I know it was probably injury related, but I still won't be able to help myself from cringing if we take him or any other Clemson guy early.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we play Kenny at DE a lot and Wyatt is more of a 3-4 DE too, what is the boards opinion on getting a true 3-4 NT like Siaki Ika? Not a first obviously, but I think it would help our run defense and free up some pass rushers by demanding a double team in the middle.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would rather take Mazi Smith if that’s what they want. Keeanu Benton is also versatile enough to give them snaps at shade. I might even take Colburn over Ika.

But they don’t play a lot of 3 man front. It’s mostly 1T/3T.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see the T-Shirts now!

I didn't know about this guy, thanks. I like the MI guy, Jake Moody? Something like that. It's just time to move on from Crosby. His FG kicking is still solid, but he rarely puts a kickoff in the end zone.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather take Mazi Smith if that’s what they want. Keeanu Benton is also versatile enough to give them snaps at shade. I might even take Colburn over Ika.

But they don’t play a lot of 3 man front. It’s mostly 1T/3T.
All of this is absolutely true, but I wonder if they don't play a true 3 man because they don't feel they have the personnel. I'm guessing that's not the case though. Benton is definitely super interesting because he reminds me a lot of Kenny. Same size basically and has flashed the ability to rush the passer, not just be a run stopper like Ika. I haven't really watched **** all that much, but there's definitely buzz about his potential.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we play Kenny at DE a lot and Wyatt is more of a 3-4 DE too, what is the boards opinion on getting a true 3-4 NT like Siaki Ika? Not a first obviously, but I think it would help our run defense and free up some pass rushers by demanding a double team in the middle.

Personally a pure NT like Ika needs to be someone I envision being an ELITE level guy to take even in second round. I can think of about four or five other guys I’d rather have over him truthfully. Pure slower NT is something I’ll grab Day 3, a more versatile guy that can shade down like Mazi, Dexter, Benton or either Texas prospect I’d pick before Ika.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally a pure NT like Ika needs to be someone I envision being an ELITE level guy to take even in second round. I can think of about four or five other guys I’d rather have over him truthfully. Pure slower NT is something I’ll grab Day 3, a more versatile guy that can shade down like Mazi, Dexter, Benton or either Texas prospect I’d pick before Ika.
True, you need someone in the mold of Vita Vea to make them worth a day 1 or early day 2.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really like Benton, the man is a beast. However, I don't think his game is refined enough, just yet. He seemed to either take plays off, but when he went full speed, he was a wrecking ball at times. I could maybe see a late 3rd and if he is still there in the 4th for the Packers, I wouldn't mind it at all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Benton, the man is a beast. However, I don't think his game is refined enough, just yet. He seemed to either take plays off, but when he went full speed, he was a wrecking ball at times. I could maybe see a late 3rd and if he is still there in the 4th for the Packers, I wouldn't mind it at all.

Benton is a clear Day 2 for me and honestly I would understand a second rounder on him. I really like him. Not more than Mazi but outside of Bresee, Carter and Mazi he is my clear next one personally.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need another BJ Raji. Whatever, they need a modern NT. Then slide Clark left or right and cut him loose. I know they’re not gonna get a Raji, but a wide body to plug the gaps would be useful. I’ve felt for a long time Clark is not used properly at NT.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Benton is a clear Day 2 for me and honestly I would understand a second rounder on him. I really like him. Not more than Mazi but outside of Bresee, Carter and Mazi he is my clear next one personally.

If his interviews went well and the Packers see him as a motivated learner, I would be on board with that. Not sure about using a 2nd rounder though, if we only have 1. If we end up with 3-2nd round picks due to the Rodgers trade, I can see trading back a bit for him, with one of those picks and getting a late 2nd and a late 3rd for it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
All of this is absolutely true, but I wonder if they don't play a true 3 man because they don't feel they have the personnel. I'm guessing that's not the case though. Benton is definitely super interesting because he reminds me a lot of Kenny. Same size basically and has flashed the ability to rush the passer, not just be a run stopper like Ika. I haven't really watched **** all that much, but there's definitely buzz about his potential.

I think it’s because a 4-2-5 is the best way they’ve found to get an extra DB on the field without sacrificing pass rush. A 3-4 base would result in linebackers getting burned in coverage all day if a team played in it all the time.

Reaction score
Ok well compare it to similar lists within the division:

Justin Jefferson
Christian Darrisaw
Ezra Cleveland
Brian O’Neill
T.J. Hockenson
Dalvin Cook
Danielle Hunter
Harrison Smith
Byron Murphy

Amon-Ra St. Brown
Taylor Decker
Frank Ragnow
Penei Sewell
DeAndre Swift
Aidan Hutchinson
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Cam Sutton

The Packers have the talent to compete for the division and playoffs if Love has the goods. It’s not a depleted roster.

It may become that when the cap implications really come due, but it isn’t now.
I do agree we have talent.

However, on offense we have glaring holes at WR (outside of Watson and Doubs who were rookies last year), and TE. I would also argue that while the defense is very talented when it comes to the starters, it has a glaring hole at safety, while lacking depth behind the starters outside of CB, and could use another talented starter or two on the DL.

I do think a lot of this gets addressed at this year's draft. However, the incoming talent will all be rookies with no experience.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree we have talent.

However, on offense we have glaring holes at WR (outside of Watson and Doubs who were rookies last year), and TE. I would also argue that while the defense is very talented when it comes to the starters, it has a glaring hole at safety, while lacking depth behind the starters outside of CB, and could use another talented starter or two on the DL.

I do think a lot of this gets addressed at this year's draft. However, the incoming talent will all be rookies with no experience.
I agree. And I think as long as we properly set expectations, this draft and this first year w Love could set the team up well. We all have our own priorities in the draft. Mine are TE, Edge, S and OT. Yeah we need a kicker and snapper, but we'll get those.

I’d like a veteran WR (and NOT Sammy Watkins 3.0 - or maybe they get lucky with OSU’s JSN if it falls right. But I think they either get an immediate impact TE or WR, not both.

All in all it’s starting to feel like fun to be a Packer fan again. I’m not fooling myself. The North is much better and an 8-9 record would be great. Get Rodgers on a plane to NYC and start having fun again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts