2023 Draft Talk

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean he has to break that 3rd round curse at some point. :)

He personally has struggled with offense in the third, I say he goes defense if we pick in the third.

Oren Burks didn't work out either.

I know a lot of fans are down on Savage and even Amos last season, but much like the up and down play of Douglas, Stokes and even Alexander, I want to say it was as much the coaches fault as players. The bad news, MLF doesn't agree with me and kept Barry.

Maybe it was Jerry Gray's fault after all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oren Burks didn't work out either.

Maybe it was Jerry Gray's fault after all.

Burks isn't as bad as some, at least he's become a solid ST'er in the league and is still the only defensive one as then what we took Jace / Josiah / Amari / Ryhan

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It is interesting when you look back in history at the Packers 3rd round picks. Some of the names that jump out and make me say "holy cow, he was a complete flop" include:

- Amari Rodgers
- Sternberger
- Ty Montgomery (Flop as a WR and returner)
- Khyri Thornton
- Alex Green
- Aaron Rouse
- Abdul Hodge
- Joey Thomas
- Donnell Washington
- BJ Sander (a damn punter!)
- Marques Anderson
- Steve Warren
- Jonathan Brown
- Bret Conway (a damn kicker!)
- Chuck Web
- Anthony Dilweg

I stopped at the 1989 draft, since my memory gets fuzzy after that. :)

Now the good news, the Packers did find some excellent players in the 3rd round, those include:

Morgan Burnett, Jermichael Finley, James Jones, Mike McKenzie, Earl Dotson, Robert Brooks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what was the rest of the trade? I am very doubtful they get that #13 pick. Maybe in a swap as part of a small package.
Yeah I think the hold up is the Jets' #13 pick. They are probably offering a second round pick this year and Elijah Moore, just a guess. Personally, I'd be very unhappy if they don't get at least the #13 pick. Gluten simply waited one year too long to decide to trade Rodgers. That's hindsight though, so it's perfect......

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is interesting when you look back in history at the Packers 3rd round picks. Some of the names that jump out and make me say "holy cow, he was a complete flop" include:

- Amari Rodgers
- Sternberger
- Khyri Thornton
- Alex Green
- Aaron Rouse
- Abdul Hodge
- Joey Thomas
- Donnell Washington
- Marques Anderson
- Steve Warren
- Jonathan Brown
- Chuck Web
- Anthony Dilweg

Now the good news, the Packers did find some excellent players in the 3rd round, those include:

Morgan Burnett, Jermichael Finley, James Jones, Mike McKenzie, Earl Dotson, Robert Brooks.

You don't even have them all....Oren Burks, Sean Rhyan quickly to mind.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I think the hold up is the Jets' #13 pick. They are probably offering a second round pick this year and Elijah Moore, just a guess.
I'd "settle" for NYJ's #43 & Elijah Moore. Moore was the #34 pick 2 years ago, runs 4.35, averages 12.2 Yds/reception (with garbage QB's throwing to him) and has a very low drop percentage. Instant slot starter & #43, I'll take it!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You don't even have them all....Oren Burks, Sean Rhyan quickly to mind.
Burks, as you yourself said wasn't a complete flop and while word has it, Rhyan might be, the book isn't closed on him or Deguara just yet.

A few of the guys I put on the list and some I left off, one could probably make arguments either way. All in all, I concluded (for myself), the 3rd round is the drop off point, between "good chance of picking up an impact player" and "with some luck, this guy might flourish or flounder."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd "settle" for NYJ's #43 & Elijah Moore. Moore was the #34 pick 2 years ago, runs 4.35, averages 12.2 Yds/reception (with garbage QB's throwing to him) and has a very low drop percentage. Instant slot starter & #43, I'll take it!
Makes sense. Ideally I’d like them to take a TE, probably with the #43 pick. There are 5 solid prospects and one should be there.

It’s tempting to take a TE in round 1, but #15 is too early.

Reaction score
Poker ran that scenario earlier and it’s basically getting two 2nds. That’s essentially a later Day 1 in points which is fair.

The other scenario? A clean trade with no debris or residual in the future. Trade our #45 + Rodgers for the Jets #13 straight up. That’s similar and also equivalent of getting a #28 overall straight up. I like we’d get the 5th year option there.

We’d have #13,#15 and on to Rd3. That’s the least sloppy version it’s all about draft points and it’s no muss no fuss. I personally think Aaron rental for 1 season + (possibility of more years) is easily worth every bit of a #28 overall selection. It’s just shy of insulting. I might ask for a 2025 4th rounder if Rodgers plays past 2023 and give them a handshake that resembled the one Harbaugh gave Jim Schwartz!

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score

- Amari Rodgers
- Sternberger
- Khyri Thornton
- Alex Green
- Aaron Rouse
- Abdul Hodge
- Joey Thomas
- Donnell Washington
- Marques Anderson
- Steve Warren
- Jonathan Brown
- Chuck Web
- Anthony Dilweg

Antonio Freeman was one of Wolf's best 3rd rd pick.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Antonio Freeman was one of Wolf's best 3rd rd pick.
He was, should have been on my excellent players list for sure. It's funny, I went to Cincy for the Packers game in 2021 and hit a cool Packer bar the night before the game. A semi-drunk guy came out to a group of us outside and said that Antonio was upstairs in the bar for a meet and greet and to sign autographs. I thought it might be cool to go up and see him, until his "manager" told us it was "$25 per signature and another $25 for a picture with him." Nobody from our group went up to see him, sounded kind of pathetic really.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer Bar probably paid him to come and set the costs to meet and greet.

I met him a couple times, this past year in Appleton right before Christmas. I didn’t pay for a signature from him, but did get to sit and chat because nobody else was there either. They were having fun with my kids and I was having fun just watching.

I had to get Gilbert’s signature on a gravedigger shovel for my Grandmas packer collection.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was, should have been on my excellent players list for sure. It's funny, I went to Cincy for the Packers game in 2021 and hit a cool Packer bar the night before the game. A semi-drunk guy came out to a group of us outside and said that Antonio was upstairs in the bar for a meet and greet and to sign autographs. I thought it might be cool to go up and see him, until his "manager" told us it was "$25 per signature and another $25 for a picture with him." Nobody from our group went up to see him, sounded kind of pathetic really.
Thats a sad story.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

- Amari Rodgers
- Sternberger
- Khyri Thornton
- Alex Green
- Aaron Rouse
- Abdul Hodge
- Joey Thomas
- Donnell Washington
- Marques Anderson
- Steve Warren
- Jonathan Brown
- Chuck Web
- Anthony Dilweg

William Henderson, Antonio Freeman and Bernardo Harris all taken in the 3rd round of the 95? Draft as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Burks isn't as bad as some, at least he's become a solid ST'er in the league and is still the only defensive one as then what we took Jace / Josiah / Amari / Ryhan

I agree that Burks wasn't as bad as some other of Gutekunst's third round picks (mostly based on his performance on special teams) but he only managed to play 500 snaps on defense in four seasons with the team at the position in need of an upgrade for most of it. He definitely didn't live up to expectations either.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take most mocks with a grain of salt especially this early. Just saw one where the Pack take Paris Johnson at #15. "Should start immediately at RT" is the quote. The author also agrees with a lot of you as he states "double digit TEs from this draft will become NFL starters".

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take most mocks with a grain of salt especially this early. Just saw one where the Pack take Paris Johnson at #15. "Should start immediately at RT" is the quote. The author also agrees with a lot of you as he states "double digit TEs from this draft will become NFL starters".

If Paris somehow in this world slips to us at 15 and Gute doesn't draft him I will go on record as despising the pick LOL

He is easily my OT1 and if he gets drafted, he will be our RT and he will become our LT most likely after Bakh IMO...and I'd would argue may very well be our 2nd or 3rd best OL on the roster immediately. I am very high on him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Paris somehow in this world slips to us at 15 and Gute doesn't draft him I will go on record as despising the pick LOL

He is easily my OT1 and if he gets drafted, he will be our RT and he will become our LT most likely after Bakh IMO...and I'd would argue may very well be our 2nd or 3rd best OL on the roster immediately. I am very high on him.
Agreed. Johnson is a top 8 talent, plus or minus a pick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers (plus 7.256 and a 2024 7th round) Traded to Jets for their 2.43 / 4.112 / Conditional 4th in 2024 + Corey Davis

Trade back 1.15 / 5.149 / 7.242 for Jag's 1.24 / 3.88 / 2024 3rd round

1.24 - Darnell Washington TE Georgia
2.43 - Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland
2.45 - Rashee Rice WR SMU
3.78 - Jordan Battle S Alabama
3.88 - Zach Harrison ED Ohio State
4.112 - Jartavius Martin DB Illinois
4.116 - Davis Allen TE Clemson
5.170 - Asim Richards OT North Carolina
7.232 - Dante Stills iDL West Virginia
7.235 - Tyson Bagent QB Shepherd

I know folks disagree with me that we cannot do the Rodger's trade without a first, but sorry I disagree and still don't think we are getting their #13.

Realistically in this draft I see the potential for two day one starters (Washington and Duncan) but two others that I think could see significant snaps on the offensive side of the ball are Allen as TE2 and Rice who could be one of our slot snap leader by the end of the season IMO.

Don't sleep on Battle at safety everyone, I personally think outside of play diagnosis it seemed to me that Battle is the better safety between Battle and Branch IMO....and to be fair both Battle and Harrison both are prospects that I think could end up not being available.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers (plus 7.256 and a 2024 7th round) Traded to Jets for their 2.43 / 4.112 / Conditional 4th in 2024 + Corey Davis

1.24 - Darnell Washington TE Georgia
2.43 - Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland
2.45 - Rashee Rice WR SMU
3.78 - Jordan Battle S Alabama
3.88 - Zach Harrison ED Ohio State
4.112 - Jartavius Martin DB Illinois
4.116 - Davis Allen TE Clemson
5.170 - Asim Richards OT North Carolina
7.232 - Dante Stills iDL West Virginia
7.235 - Tyson Bagent QB Shepherd

I know folks disagree with me that we cannot do the Rodger's trade without a first, but sorry I disagree and still don't think we are getting their #13.

Realistically in this draft I see the potential for two day one starters (Washington and Duncan) but two others that I think could see significant snaps on the offensive side of the ball are Allen as TE2 and Rice who could be one of our slot snap leader by the end of the season IMO.

Don't sleep on Battle at safety everyone, I personally think outside of play diagnosis it seemed to me that Battle is the better safety between Battle and Branch IMO....and to be fair both Battle and Harrison both are prospects that I think could end up not being available.
Ty, so you don't see the Packers picking until #24 in round 1? I think most people are expecting a #13 from the Jets and the #15 pick they already have.

If Washington isn't significantly better or worse than the other TEs, this may make sense from a value perspective. Getting two starters on O at TE and OT is big. I don't know enough about pick value to really evaluate this. Dropping to #24 from #13 and #15 is just a little surprising.

I do agree that the Jets are holding firm on not giving up their #13. I think the Packers have leverage here though and will ultimately get it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Until Gute proves otherwise I want NOTHING to do with 3rd round picks. Re-do your trade to: GB's 1.15 & 3.78 for Jags 1.24 & 2.56, 4.121, 4.127 & 2024's #2 and you've got a deal! ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty, so you don't see the Packers picking until #24 in round 1? I think most people are expecting a #13 from the Jets and the #15 pick they already have.

If Washington isn't significantly better or worse than the other TEs, this may make sense from a value perspective. Getting two starters on O at TE and OT is big. I don't know enough about pick value to really evaluate this. Dropping to #24 from #13 and #15 is just a little surprising.

I do agree that the Jets are holding firm on not giving up their #13. I think the Packers have leverage here though and will ultimately get it.

As I stated in the post I do not see us getting #13 without us giving up a second or third of our own back. I just don't see it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Gute proves otherwise I want NOTHING to do with 3rd round picks. Re-do your trade to: GB's 1.15 & 3.78 for Jags 1.24 & 2.56, 4.121, 4.127 & 2024's #2 and you've got a deal! ;)
LOL not doing it and Gute needs to not behave scared like that - but I do get the humor of it and third round is FOR SURE cursed as of now - hoping it breaks this year.

Members online

Latest posts