2020 Salary Cap Situation

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So folks stating we'll just push money back some like we did with Rodgers....Okay, whom do you do this with I guess then? Rodgers is the clear and easy option given whom he was/is.

Davante?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So folks stating we'll just push money back some like we did with Rodgers....Okay, whom do you do this with I guess then? Rodgers is the clear and easy option given whom he was/is.

I'll kick in a buck! :coffee:

While Ball, Gute and Co. can get somewhat creative with the cap, it doesn't mean that they should just go out and overspend and by doing so, mortgage the future. I always like to look at just how much teams are spending/wasting on "dead money". This is money still being counted against the Cap for players no longer with the team. While it doesn't always correlate to a teams success, teams such as the Dolphins, Giants, Jags and the Cardinals were at the top of the list for most dead money on their books before the start of last season. Everyone wants to win now, but at what price in the future?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While Ball, Gute and Co. can get somewhat creative with the cap, it doesn't mean that they should just go out and overspend and by doing so, mortgage the future. I always like to look at just how much teams are spending/wasting on "dead money". This is money still being counted against the Cap for players no longer with the team. While it doesn't always correlate to a teams success, teams such as the Dolphins, Giants, Jags and the Cardinals were at the top of the list for most dead money on their books before the start of last season. Everyone wants to win now, but at what price in the future?

I am not a fan of it and I don't desire a top flight FA this year now that Littleton is gone really...I was a fan of Schobert, but honestly I think Kirksey fits better. I was just curious where this "magic" was going to come from folks keep speaking of.

I will be honest I would to see love to see a decent iDL added and maybe a backup experienced ILB even, but I foresee us not doing much of anything until after draft now... unless Gute sees a WR he thinks will make a serious impact and cuts someone or shuffles some things or trades picks for.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I will be honest I would to see love to see a decent iDL added and maybe a backup experienced ILB even, but I foresee us not doing much of anything until after draft now... unless Gute sees a WR he thinks will make a serious impact and cuts someone or shuffles some things or trades picks for.

I agree and this is maybe when its best to go into TT mode and just wait for the dust to settle a bit, let the draft take place and then kick some tires on the mound of veterans that will still be out there looking for jobs. I believe that starting May 5th (second Tuesday after the draft), that signing UFA's stops counting against the compensatory picks for 2021. Given that the Packers have been projected to already have picked up 3-2021 compensatory picks due to the loses of Martinez (4th round pick) Bulaga(5th) and Fackrell (6th), Gute might try to avoid losing those. Some view Compensatory picks as "small ball" but they can add up and be used to in a number of ways to acquire more or better players.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers really need to sign some reliable receiving help; going to be rough going on offense if the team is relying on Adams, Lazard, and Tonyan/Jace as the primary receiving options next year. Hard to count on a rookie WR at pick 30 picking up a lot of slack in the receiving game.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

they just have to have the money in the bank. they can turn roster bonuses into signing bonuses with both parties signatures.
If it was that easy even you could do it! While you may believe that the world ends on February 8, 2021, I'm pretty sure it will not.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
down to $51k with the lewis signing...
There will be cuts later no matter what. There always is as they clear space for the 1st and 2nd year players they want to keep.

superdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is still moves available to create space.

The clear and obvious one being cutting Lane Taylor. However, there is always the surprise of cutting Linsley.

We could extend Number 69 now, and push a little bit of his current hit forward into future years, free up a little bit. We could adjust Linsley's contract if keeping him, and push a small amount down the line as well.

We're pretty sure we hit on P & Z Smith as well, so we could tweak their big contracts to push a few mil down the road as well, but I believe they're already decently backloaded.

Wondering how it would play out to extend Clark right away to drop his current year's hit, while taking a gigantic hit later. If we're going to keep him into the future, if we can pull it off to benefit this year, we might as well extend him now. His cap hit is going to be huge in the future either way.

I suppose it all sort of depends how much teams are expecting the cap to jump next year. Next offseason is going to be even tougher.

The current roster is looking pretty bare, so we're going to have to do something in order to resign a couple more of our own guys. If we choose to let the rest of them walk, then we're going to have the youngest team in the league and no "proven" depth.

In before someone proves everything I said wrong. I'm no expert.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pushing salaries back IMO on more than one MAYBE two players especially given the size of the contracts typically restructured is a dangerous habit to get into cuz it eventually catches up to you.

superdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a big support of pushing Rodgers' entire contract back into years after he retires so we can spend all the money now when we have him. I expect to waste 3-5 years with a **** QB after he retires anyway.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good points. And just my opinion, but it’s why I think the Bears made a BIG mistake mortgaging the future to get Mack. Some here were critical of Gluten for not making that deal. Now the Bears have a failed QB (who they also gave up picks to get) and again they have no first round pick this year thanks to the Mack deal. Leonard Floyd didn’t pan out, and all of a sudden that unstoppable D is slipping. Their answer, sign Nick Foles....... Talk about desperate.

That’s why the NFL has a cap. No team gets everyone they want, it’s not doable long term. Yeah I’d love for Littleton and/or Hooper to be in GB, but not at the prices they commanded. Ya gotta play the cards you’re dealt, and play em smart.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a big support of pushing Rodgers' entire contract back into years after he retires so we can spend all the money now when we have him. I expect to waste 3-5 years with a **** QB after he retires anyway.
Hmmm, not a bad idea really. GB is only 2 or 3 players short of being dominant for the next few years (until Rodgers retires).
Packers really need to sign some reliable receiving help; going to be rough going on offense if the team is relying on Adams, Lazard, and Tonyan/Jace as the primary receiving options next year. Hard to count on a rookie WR at pick 30 picking up a lot of slack in the receiving game.
Yeah I’m afraid you’re right. There are exceptions (I’m thinking of Deebo Samuels and DK Metcalf), but it’s tough for a rookie WR to come in and start producing like a 3-year vet. Maybe a trade, but one thing is for sure, IMO - that WR group has to improve in total. Adams can’t carry the whole load.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear everybody has a cap except the stinkin Saints.
Yeah the Saints and the Pats. The Saints will have a (good) problem when that stud draft class from a few years ago (Kamari and others) come off their rookie deals.

Reaction score
Good points. And just my opinion, but it’s why I think the Bears made a BIG mistake mortgaging the future to get Mack. Some here were critical of Gluten for not making that deal. Now the Bears have a failed QB (who they also gave up picks to get) and again they have no first round pick this year thanks to the Mack deal. Leonard Floyd didn’t pan out, and all of a sudden that unstoppable D is slipping. Their answer, sign Nick Foles....... Talk about desperate.

That’s why the NFL has a cap. No team gets everyone they want, it’s not doable long term. Yeah I’d love for Littleton and/or Hooper to be in GB, but not at the prices they commanded. Ya gotta play the cards you’re dealt, and play em smart.
That shows in this years example of being patient while the player stock prices fall. Prudence is difficult when other teams are jumping all in this FA... but in the coming days we will see some fantastic players in the bargain bin.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That shows in this years example of being patient while the player stock prices fall. Prudence is difficult when other teams are jumping all in this FA... but in the coming days we will see some fantastic players in the bargain bin.
Agreed. Much as I liked Littleton and Hooper, they were overpaid (esp. Hooper). Gluten has a plan and I do trust him.

Reaction score
Agreed. Much as I liked Littleton and Hooper, they were overpaid (esp. Hooper). Gluten has a plan and I do trust him.
It may be a trade deal or something a little more unconventional, but I think we’re all waiting to see our next move.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Foles has had some very good years. Not just a few games. He has trouble staying healthy and I think he had some bad luck with a new coach/lousy scheme. If he has anyone to throw to...he could be tough.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear everybody has a cap except the stinkin Saints.

They know their window to win is now and they're willing to sacrifice to try and win now. Different method than Packers who have historically just tried to be good every year without the highs or lows.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mack was a good trade. They screwed up by drafting Trubisky.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Few posts up someone did, down to like 50k or more depending on someone's reserve/holdover money amount
Accounting for the draft class, players 52 and 53, and the PS, the remaining cap space at this time is about $7 mil before any amount held in reserve.

Members online