2020 Salary Cap Situation

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
ha! why would you want to get that started again? those ships have long passed. let's deal with the present.

Those ships of yours never passed, they sunk, but left a lot of thick film behind. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

yikes...it only gets worse.

if the cba is approved our 2020 spendable cap will drop some $3.38m. (read thread)

Those numbers look as good as any if you assume something like $8 mil held back for "in-season reserves".

It should rightly be identified as "in-season reserves or carryover". The Packers have never spent that much in my recollection. It would require an in-season trade for an expensive player in absorbing a hefty partial year cap hit or an unparalled rash of IR and PUP players.

Clearly, the available cap spend will be more or less than that $18 mil figure depending on the amount hled in reserve. $8 mil would not be a surprising number. The Packers have typically finished seasons with $5 - $10 mil in carryover.

Hypothetically, if the Packers let Clark play on the 5th. year option and did not extend Bakhtiari or Jones this year, that carryover would come in handy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Those numbers look as good as any if you assume something like $8 mil held back for "in-season reserves".

It should rightly be identified as "in-season reserves or carryover". The Packers have never spent that in my recollection. It would require an in-season trade for an expensive player in absorbing a partial year cap hit.

Clearly, the available cap spend will be more or less than that $18 mil figure depending on the amount of reserve. $8 mil would not be a surprising number. The Packers have typically finished seasons with $5 - $10 mil in carryover.

Just curious, since you seem to be the poster with the best handle on the cap. Do these numbers include the $11 million in extra cap room created for 2020, when Rodgers contract was adjusted at the end of December? I assume they do, but without that adjustment, wow.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Just curious, since you seem to be the poster with the best handle on the cap. Do these numbers include the $11 million in extra cap room created for 2020, when Rodgers contract was adjusted at the end of December? I assume they do, but without that adjustment, wow.
Yes, that reduction in Rodgers 2020 cap is reflected in these numbers, along with the 4th. year performance bumps for Jones and Williams and the Crosby contract.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

yikes...it only gets worse.

if the cba is approved our 2020 spendable cap will drop some $3.38m. (read thread)

By the way, those numbers have nothing to do with the CBA except that an additional $1 mil should be subtracted for the expansion of the practice squad from 10 to 12 in 2020. As far as I can tell the CBA won't have any affect on players under contract already for 2020. The mass of changes take affect in 2021.

One caviat. According to Graziano, the expanded playoff schedule in 2020 is estimated to bring in $150 mil of additional revenue. Since it is incremental revenue after all expenses are presumably covered, 47% or thereabouts of that revenue would go to the players.

$150 mil * 0.47 / 32 = $2.2 mil per team in possible additional cap.

The NFL previously estimated a cap for this season of $196.8 - $201.2. It could end up being at the high end of the range, or a little over if that estimate assumed nothing about the CBA.

We'll know soon enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

By the way, those numbers have nothing to do with the CBA except that an additional $1 mil should be subtracted for the expansion of the practice squad from 10 to 12 in 2020.

FWIW two additional practice squad players would only account for a cap hit of close to $300K.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i read that if the cba passes they'll lose some cap but can then gain some by doing what they did with rodgers earlier this year with a few players...zsmith in particular. for whatever reason they can't do it until the cba passes.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

i read that if the cba passes they'll lose some cap but can then gain some by doing what they did with rodgers earlier this year with a few players...zsmith in particular. for whatever reason they can't do it until the cba passes.
How about a link?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

latest cap news...
That looks about right for where things stand now if the Packers carry that $7.5 mil for in-season transactions and/or carryover which has been typical over the years for the Packers.

They might shave that down quite a bit if they know the cap will bounce up considerably next season. We're in the dark on that but team management would have some idea.

We could go back to discussing Linsley and Taylor cuts , but we're so close to getting better clarity I'd rather not.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
if they know the cap will bounce up considerably next season.

they'll move some money forward like they did with Rodgers. that will give them a bit more. cutting much needed depth will get them some more.

I'm not following it super closely, but that is the impression I have gotten just by some of the early stuff that I have read. Next year (and beyond) the Cap will go up more than "normal" and teams that want to mortgage a bit of their future, by signing/spending and pushing cap into the future this year, would have the chance to do that more this year, than in years past.

I also could very well be interpreting some of the comments I have read online incorrectly. :D

D

Deleted member 6794

they'll move some money forward like they did with Rodgers. that will give them a bit more. cutting much needed depth will get them some more.

Well, with the salary cap in place it's impossible to hold on to veterans for depth. That needs to be provided by players still on their rookie deals.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone smarter than me hint or take a fairly legit guess at estimated remaining cap situation for us...inclusive of estimated draft pool ?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

With the Kirksey and Wagner signings and minimum salary/practice squad CBA adjustments:

$14.7 mil current top 51 cap space (overthecap = $15.2 mil; spotrac = $14.1 mil)
- $1.2 mil for players 52 and 53
- $2.5 mil for draft class
- $1.7 mil for practice squad
$9.3 in usable cap space less whatever amount held in reserve for in-season signings and/or carryover

Possible cap space addition: Cut or trade Taylor for $4.1 mil savings
Doubtful cap space addition: Cut or trade Linsley for $8.5 mil savings

A stated Gutekunst priority was extending Clark. Cost may be a sticking point as with Hooper. Jones wants an extension; I think that's a non-starter but we'll just have to wait and see.

2021: 30 or 31 players under contract at a cap cost of $163 mil (overthecap = 30 players/$162.8; spotrac = 31 players/$163.2 mil)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm just not seeing much room for anything, especially given I suspect we want a touch of rollover...and Clark's extension. I'd love to see us add an Eifert type TE or a "snacks" iDL but even such signings are eroding that figure quickly....and then you know we'll have a few minimum guys or $720 Goodson type signings at some point too...

I suspect $3.5-$5.5 carryover/reserve is the expected...leaving presently just $6M at most to maybe play with...be interesting to see if Gute & Co. turn that into maybe 2 more solid contributory vets/injury history type guys like Wagner and Kirksey...or roll on one guy at like $4M tag on him this first year....

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with yesterday's hole plugging, and todays tenders, they're down to $1.49m in cap space. that's before any cuts or money moving.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

with yesterday's hole plugging, and todays tenders, they're down to $1.49m in cap space. that's before any cuts or money moving.

His $9 mil in cap space including his $7.5 mil reserve is a good a number as any.

"Moving money" is easier said than done in the "pay me now or pay me later" calculus.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Find it interesting reading about the free agent signings around the league that we are maintaining the old 30% rule in guaranteed money. Still seeing ridiculously high numbers other places around the league. It’s good news for the Packers long term. Thank you Russ Ball!

Staff online

Members online