2020 Salary Cap Situation

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Loving what I am seeing in this forum, first time here.

I haven't read much discussion about releasing Jamaal Williams for the cap savings. It wouldn't be the first time the Packers have said "sorry, we'd like to keep you, but can't at this increased price." Cut him & save just over $2M. There is always a chance we could refresh his contract to keep him for less as well.

Good find. I figured Williams was on a cheap rookie deal. Had no clue that his contract was structured the way that it is. Now that I see it, I don't see him making the team, unless he really steps it up. Bring him to camp and preseason, but cut him if a cheaper player can reproduce what he does.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I brought up trading Jamaal just for that reason awhile back...it got poo poo'd on, but understandably. He provides a SOLID back up option to Aaron, but we are not a better team and I feel take a step back to an extent with him there. I LOVE his interviews and the dude cracks me up, but honestly if you could slide him somewhere for even a 4th-6th due to the potential he has shown and still being young I feel is worth it...even cutting him if that $2M can be put towards resigning a starter or signing a for sure contributor I'd be for it.

Move on with Jones, Ervin (resign) and Williams...throw in no doubt a draftee and a few UDFA.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Good find. I figured Williams was on a cheap rookie deal. Had no clue that his contract was structured the way that it is. Now that I see it, I don't see him making the team, unless he really steps it up. Bring him to camp and preseason, but cut him if a cheaper player can reproduce what he does.
It's not the structure of his contract. He got a salary escalator which is a CBA provision, as did Jones, based on snap counts. Those escalators are available to any player in the league in their 4th. season taken from the 3rd. round or lower who qualify as described in this link:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...aal-williams-earn-salary-escalators-for-2020/

Other players have gotten these escalators in the past. Martinez got one last season. The Jones' and Williams' escalators were around around $1.3 - $1.4 mil each, which comes off the cap.

Williams does everything pretty well, he's experienced, and he's been durable. He won't be going anywhere. If anybody is replaced it would be Ervin, the 3rd. back who really isn't a back and who is a UDFA. Dexter Williams from the last draft is still hanging around. A speed back might be drafted in the lower rounds but it won't be to replace Williams.

By the way, the savings in releasing Williams is not $2.3 mil. It would be $1.8 mil at the most, if that even mattered, if his replacement is a minimum salary rookie making around $500,000.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

By the way, from where we started, Crosby has shaved a minimum of $2.7 mil off the cap, maybe more depending on the structure of that deal. Jones' and Williams' escalators shaved off an equal amount, taking the total up to something around $4.5 mil or more.

A couple mil here, a couple there, it starts to add up.

superdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While the number makes it seem like an easy decision, I don't think it is as easy as that. While I think Jones is a mile ahead of Williams, I think Williams personality more than likely was a big part of shaping our team's culture last season. I'd hate to risk losing that. I'd much rather find a way to keep him at a lower number. By the way, I like to think we keep Ervin as well, very cheap.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams fills an important role in MLF's system and we saw him used very well in the system. He would have to be replaced by a competent pass catcher out of the back field or else we are down yet another reliable pass catcher this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I probably shouldn't of used the wording "I don't see him making the team, unless he really steps it up."

Especially after I just looked up his stats for 2019. Very sneaky and it surprised me:
  • 460 yds rushing on 107 attempts (4.3 ave.)
  • 253 yds receiving 39 catches. (5 TD's)
So I stand corrected, unless he slides backwards or a much cheaper guy can pass him up in the depth chart, I see him sticking in Green Bay for another season. Thanks to those of you who brought me to my senses. :oops:

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't of used the wording "I don't see him making the team, unless he really steps it up."

Especially after I just looked up his stats for 2019. Very sneaky and it surprised me:
  • 460 yds rushing on 107 attempts (4.3 ave.)
  • 253 yds receiving 39 catches. (5 TD's)
So I stand corrected, unless he slides backwards or a much cheaper guy can pass him up in the depth chart, I see him sticking in Green Bay for another season. Thanks to those of you who brought me to my senses. :oops:

I think it is a fair observation in other situations. In today's NFL you can draft another RB with his skill set or better in the 3rd round, but we need bodies in those first 4 rounds this year. He played well, and he deserves the money he is due. RBs are becoming cheaper and cheaper commodities, as the NFL evolves. I don't blame you for your observation, if our WR/TE positions were more secure I think your point would be more than valid for a cash strapped team.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I think it is a fair observation in other situations. In today's NFL you can draft another RB with his skill set or better in the 3rd round, but we need bodies in those first 4 rounds this year. He played well, and he deserves the money he is due. RBs are becoming cheaper and cheaper commodities, as the NFL evolves. I don't blame you for your observation, if our WR/TE positions were more secure I think your point would be more than valid for a cash strapped team.
It's not like Williams is just some nice guy who you like hanging around. Late in 2018 he had a game where he took 80 snaps with Jones out, which nobody ever does at RB, with 150 yards from scrimmage. He's an outstanding pass blocker, and a good receiver. He is in fact a good value at that price for a #2 running back.

Ervin is the more likely casualty if the Packers are looking for a speed back to replicate Jones who also happens to be a free agent next season. Ervin's sole utility is returns and the occasional gadget play. He's a good player in those roles but if they draft a guy with return ability he'd be a likely cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like Williams is just some nice guy who you like hanging around. Late in 2017 he had a game where he took 80 snaps with Jones out, which nobody ever does at RB, with 150 yards from scrimmage. He's an outstanding pass blocker, and a good receiver. He is in fact a good value at that price for a #2 running back.

Ervin is the more likely casualty if the Packers are looking for a speed back to replicate Jones who also happens to be a free agent next season. Ervin's sole utility is returns and the occasional gadget play. He's a good player in those roles but if they draft a guy with return ability he'd be a likely cut.

Agreed. Williams isn't a bad player at all. Just overshadowed by Jones. Williams had a great season in my opinion. We aren't likely to keep Jones and Williams both when their contracts come up, but such is the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams or Jones eventual replacement drafted this year or next.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

per Tom Silverstein crosby's cap number is $4m for 2020.
Silverstein also provided a missing piece, a $3 mil signing bonus. If those numbers are right along with the numbers previously reported, the breakdown would be:

2020: $3.0 mil salary, $1 mil signing bonus proration, $4.0 mil cap hit, $6.0 mil cash payout
2021: $3.5 mil salary, $1 mil signing bonus proration, $4.5 mil cap hit, $3.5 mil cash payout
2022: $3.4 mil salary, $1 mil singing bonus proration, $4.4 mil cap hit, $3.4 mil cash payout

Some of the salary might be swapped out for roster or game day bonuses offering some protection against decline or injury.

Instead of this flatish structure, this could have been backloaded with a $1 mil salary and a $5 mil signing bonus with the same cash payouts picking up an extra $1.3 mil in 2020 cap space pushing more cap to future years.

This may be an early indication that all-in on the cap spend is not in the cards for 2020. It has never been the habit of this organizaion to do so except in the 2010 uncapped year when they went they had one of the highest payrolls in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Silverstein also provided a missing piece, a $3 mil signing bonus. If those numbers are right along with the numbers previously reported, the breakdown would be:

2020: $3.0 mil salary, $1 mil signing bonus proration, $4.0 mil cap hit, $6.0 mil cash payout
2021: $3.5 mil salary, $1 mil signing bonus proration, $4.5 mil cap hit, $3.5 mil cash payout
2022: $3.4 mil salary, $1 mil singing bonus proration, $4.4 mil cap hit, $3.4 mil cash payout

Some of the salary might be swapped out for roster or game day bonuses offering some protection against decline or injury.

Instead of this flatish structure, this could have been backloaded with a $1 mil salary and a $5 mil signing bonus with the same cash payouts picking up an extra $1.3 mil in 2020 cap space pushing more cap to future years.

This may be an early indication that all-in on the cap spend is not in the cards for 2020. It has never been the habit of this organizaion to do so except in the 2010 uncapped year when they went they had one of the highest payrolls in the league.

I concur. I think Gute is all in winning now, but not at the expense of being wreckless or crippling the organization. We are a long way from being done with FA, but I still sense this year is going to be much quieter, despite me being a fan of ruffling some feathers for Cap savings and cutting Linsley and directly using that to solve ILB or receiving option #2 for 100% certainty.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I am a bit naive but Ervin made such a gigantic impact on STs that I doubt that he wont make the team next season. He will be really cheap and is so damn important. Not sure how the draft is set at KR/PR but I rather not take the risk and go back to the historically bad STs.

I know that MLF said that they are looking for a 3rd RB behind Jones and Williams but I think that the casualties will be Dexter Williams and Vitale.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vitale has troubles being available and I have my suspicions why. i think dexter has a pretty big hole to climb out of. i don't get the impression they were too impressed with him and his approach to his profession his first year. he better come back ready or i'm not sure he makes it out of camp

D

Deleted member 6794

I know that MLF said that they are looking for a 3rd RB behind Jones and Williams but I think that the casualties will be Dexter Williams and Vitale.

It seems MLF likes to have a fullback on the roster, therefore I expect Vitale to make the 53 once again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake posting his days at the Green Bay Legends cruise yesterday on his social media....why do I sense it is not a certainty we look elsewhere at ILB.....

D

Deleted member 6794

Blake posting his days at the Green Bay Legends cruise yesterday on his social media....why do I sense it is not a certainty we look elsewhere at ILB.....

I don't think Martinez being part of the Packers Legends Cruise has any bearing on him re-signing with the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For lack of a better place to put this, something happened today that might set the course for what the Packers and Aaron Jones do in the coming year. Austin Ekeler and the Los Angeles Chargers agreed to a four-year, $24.5 million deal that includes $15 million guaranteed. Ekeler and Jones have very similar numbers for their perspective teams. Ekeler might be a better receiving back, but Jones is steadily improving that area of his game.

I can see the Packers wanting to use Ekeler's contract to eventually lock Jones up. Doesn't seem like that bad of a deal for either side. Doing that in the next 6 months will depend on what they do in the next month of resigns and Free agents, they might not have the cap space to do anything until next year with Jones.

superdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For lack of a better place to put this, something happened today that might set the course for what the Packers and Aaron Jones do in the coming year. Austin Ekeler and the Los Angeles Chargers agreed to a four-year, $24.5 million deal that includes $15 million guaranteed. Ekeler and Jones have very similar numbers for their perspective teams. Ekeler might be a better receiving back, but Jones is steadily improving that area of his game.

I can see the Packers wanting to use Ekeler's contract to eventually lock Jones up. Doesn't seem like that bad of a deal for either side. Doing that in the next 6 months will depend on what they do in the next month of resigns and Free agents, they might not have the cap space to do anything until next year with Jones.

I'd be totally fine with this contract. Lets do this.

Members online

Latest posts