2020 Salary Cap Situation

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Which honestly is about what we'd assume they want to hold as reserve.
That has been the Packer approach for nigh on a decade. Still, it depends. A chunk of that could be blown on a Clark extension, a stated Gutekunst priority. Whether the money asked will be the money given remains to be seen. I keep meaning to go back and review the SF film with a Clark focus to see how bad he got chewed up. I suppose I'll get around to it soon enough.

If the crazy Clark money that has been kicked around comes to pass even a backloaded contract is going to cost more than his current $7.7 mil cap.

$4 mil to the good with a Taylor cut or trade which could happen after the draft if they get a suitable replacement. Taylor should have trade value. $4.6 mil for one year with no hangover should be attractive to one of the 31 teams that needs an LG.

I highly doubt Linsley will be a cap casualty as some would like it, but I could not rule it out entirely, not being in the room and all.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends. A chunk of that could be blown on a Clark extension. If the crazy money that has been kicked around comes to pass even a backloaded contract is going to cost more than his current $7.7 mil cap.

$4 mil to the good with a Taylor cut or trade which could happen after the draft if they get a suitable replacement. Taylor should have trade value. $4.6 mil for one year with no hangover should be attractive to one of the 31 teams that needs an LG.

My mind has went there as well. I'd have cut him already, unless trading is the plan.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My mind has went there as well. I'd have cut him already, unless trading is the plan.

No real need to cut him right now, until you actually need the cap space. Any guy ahead of him on the current depth chart could blow a knee playing basketball, walking down the stairs, etc. Then you might actually need him as a starter.

He is free insurance right now, you don't tear up the policy until you need to.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Unless and until that Taylor money is needed to stay under the top 51 cap, there was and is zero advantage to cutting him. Spotrac has Taylor down for a $62,500 roster bonus, probably already paid. overthecap does not show a roster bonus. Anyway, that spotrac amount is a very cheap team option to have paid until they see what's what. There is zero advantage in cutting him now until the $250,000 workout bonus comes due. Even then, with the money thrown around these days, that's not exactly an expensive team option either.

If you want to be a really nice guy and allow him a head start on finding a new job then go ahead and cut him. Right. If Taylor's departure becomes the plan, and I wouldn't bet that's in stone, they would certainly want to wait for the phone calls after the draft when remaining needs smack GMs upside the head.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still, it depends. A chunk of that could be blown on a Clark extension, a stated Gutekunst priority.

If the crazy Clark money that has been kicked around comes to pass even a backloaded contract is going to cost more than his current $7.7 mil cap.

The Packers could extend Clark without increasing his cap hit for the 2020 season.

For example, five year deal with a $33.5 million signing bonus and a base salary of $1 million this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Taylor is too expensive for the Packers to keep him as a backup.

100% agree. I don't want a $5M backup along the line. Alex Light filled in admirably...NOT someone you want in a ton though obviously, however he should be more prepared this year than last. Patrick can also perform in the interior. This is before we even do the draft where I suspect a guy or two added as well. Taylor simply doesn't make sense to me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barely over 100 snaps isn't enough for anyone to know for sure. I didn't say or would say he excelled
True, Oline can look worse than they are when they just get tossed in now and again and tend to look better with regular playing time. But he looked like Murphy and Spriggs out there to me, actually Spriggs looked a lot better. he just had that weakness that made it easy to be set up outside and get toasted back on the inside with his feet stuck in cement and get the QB killed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, Oline can look worse than they are when they just get tossed in now and again and tend to look better with regular playing time. But he looked like Murphy and Spriggs out there to me, actually Spriggs looked a lot better. he just had that weakness that made it easy to be set up outside and get toasted back on the inside with his feet stuck in cement and get the QB killed.

He did not give up a sack...handful of hits and few more qb rushed but no sacks. I'm not saying he is the heir apparent, he isn't, but I think you're underselling as much as you believe I'm overselling.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did not give up a sack...handful of hits and few more qb rushed but no sacks. I'm not saying he is the heir apparent, he isn't, but I think you're underselling as much as you believe I'm overselling.
we'll gain a lot of ground, if we both give a little... :)

D

Deleted member 6794

100% agree. I don't want a $5M backup along the line. Alex Light filled in admirably...NOT someone you want in a ton though obviously, however he should be more prepared this year than last. Patrick can also perform in the interior. This is before we even do the draft where I suspect a guy or two added as well. Taylor simply doesn't make sense to me.

In my opinion Light looked terrible as well but there's a chance he might improve or the Packers add another offensive lineman capable of adequately replace Taylor.

Actually I feel the same way about Linsley with Patrick not offering a significant drop-off in performance to justify keeping him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Light looked terrible as well but there's a chance he might improve or the Packers add another offensive lineman capable of adequately replace Taylor.

Actually I feel the same way about Linsley with Patrick not offering a significant drop-off in performance to justify keeping him.

100% Patrick could if needed cover Center...I think his extension was Gute thinking forward post-Taylor and/or giving him a safety net should he need cap for a costly roster upgrade Linsley's cut would accomplish. If he doesn't need him, he still has a capable OL guy in reserve at a cheap rate.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion Taylor is too expensive for the Packers to keep him as a backup.
Totally agree and based on his 2018 season, which I will acknowledge he had some injuries, he probably isn't good enough for what he is being paid either.

Agree here as well. While I don't think you part with both Taylor and Linsley, one could probably be purged and we would be fine. A team desperate for a starting Center might be willing to at least give us something for Linsley.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree and based on his 2018 season, which I will acknowledge he had some injuries, he probably isn't good enough for what he is being paid either.

Agree here as well. While I don't think you part with both Taylor and Linsley, one could probably be purged and we would be fine. With Travis Frederick announcing his retirement in Dallas, maybe we could at least get something for Linsley in a trade.

Not gonna lie I saw this and went that way with my mind as well. Linsley is an instant starter for them and his salary is actually LESS than what Frederick would have cost them and they were planning on. IF Gute has plans for the savings, I'd 100% run a call to Cowboys.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LESS than what Frederick would have cost them and they were planning on. IF Gute has plans for the savings, I'd 100% run a call to Cowboys.

I went back and edited it after some reading up on the Cowboys. Seems the Cowboys were one step ahead of us and recently resigned Joe Looney who evidently filled in well for Frederick in 2018. But still, there probably is a team or two that Linsley is an upgrade for, just a matter of do they want to pay his salary ($8.15M) as well as be trading for a one year rental?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went back and edited it after some reading up on the Cowboys. Seems the Cowboys were one step ahead of us and recently resigned Joe Looney who evidently filled in well for Frederick in 2018. But still, there probably is a team or two that Linsley is an upgrade for, just a matter of do they want to pay his salary ($8.15M) as well as be trading for a one year rental?

Consider my thought bubble burst... :(

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

The Packers could extend Clark without increasing his cap hit for the 2020 season.

For example, five year deal with a $33.5 million signing bonus and a base salary of $1 million this year.
I would not expect that much "win now" in the equation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree here as well. While I don't think you part with both Taylor and Linsley, one could probably be purged and we would be fine. A team desperate for a starting Center might be willing to at least give us something for Linsley.

I wouldn't mind the Packers moving on from both Linsley and Taylor saving $12 million of cap space in the process.

Unfortunately I don't believe another team would be interested in trading for Linsley though.

I would not expect that much "win now" in the equation.

I don't consider it realistic but the Packers could extend Clark without his cap hit for 2020 increasing.

Members online

Latest posts