2018 Salary Cap Analysis

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two words; death sentence

I'd rather the Packers trade Rodgers today than have to deal with possibly franchise tagging him in the future.
why? It's not like we're talking about Franchising Case Keenum and giving him top dollar for an average QB. Rodgers WILL be getting paid. I can't imagine the franchise tag for him will be that much more. I know it will go up some by then, but Rodgers is just under 20 million in cap number now or right around there and the franchise tag for a QB is just over that. it's not a huge difference and when you're talking about paying and playing a top level QB, it's completely different than tagging an unknown, guy that's tapping potential or an average QB with top dollars. Rodgers is going to get it either way.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No need to hit the panic button, IMO. If the Packers see the need to free up more Cap Space, they have 3 guys in the tail end of expensive contracts totalling over $36M in cap space and only $5.5M of that is dead cap. That is a much better problem then some teams who have less cap space and more dead cap on top of that. Take a look at what is going on in Philly and K.C.

The decision is going to come down to what players do the Packers need to keep and/or acquire to improve the team. They have some flexibility to make those decisions. Everyone wants to get AR locked into being a Packer for life, which eventually will probably make sense. However, he has 2 years left on his current contract, is coming off surgery to his throwing shoulder and the Packers may need to spend the money this year elsewhere to improve the team. I would much rather wait on AR's extension, until after the team is 100% sure there are no underlying issues with his arm and the team is in a situation where other needs are addressed and then it is time to take care of your Franchise QB.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I just read an article this morning- and I'm seeing the same line of thought on this site- that if the Packers don't 'get their act together' and get him some help, Rodgers will leave.
Two words; franchise tag.
Rodgers has two years left on his contract. Then, yes, there is the franchise tag but you would not want to go there. It's a little premature to be worrying about all that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
why? It's not like we're talking about Franchising Case Keenum and giving him top dollar for an average QB. Rodgers WILL be getting paid. I can't imagine the franchise tag for him will be that much more. I know it will go up some by then, but Rodgers is just under 20 million in cap number now or right around there and the franchise tag for a QB is just over that. it's not a huge difference and when you're talking about paying and playing a top level QB, it's completely different than tagging an unknown, guy that's tapping potential or an average QB with top dollars. Rodgers is going to get it either way.

Last year the franchise tag for a QB was set at $21.268m. I'm not worried about the cost of using the tag on AR, for I think it would be far less than what a contract would cost. What I would be worried about is the message it sends to him. Many of the players who get tagged aren't happy about it and I don't see AR throwing a party if he becomes one of those guys.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has two years left on his contract. Then, yes, there is the franchise tag but you would not want to go there. It's a little premature to be worrying about all that.
I know, I feel dirty for even responding to these types of articles or comments. All they are is junk journalism again, create a story, create drama, create panic, create something to talk about. I miss the days when the game provided all the drama we'd need to talk about. Today, it's mostly about the fluff.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know, I feel dirty for even responding to these types of articles or comments. All they are is junk journalism again, create a story, create drama, create panic, create something to talk about. I miss the days when the game provided all the drama we'd need to talk about. Today, it's mostly about the fluff.

Stop making some of us feel "old" ;)

Before the internet, we were all lucky enough to hear news about players, transactions, etc. days or weeks after they actually occured. Now, not only do we here about it the second it happens, we hear about "why" it should or shouldn't happen well in advance to it even possibly being a concern for a team. I admit that I love all the information, but sometimes you have to filter a lot of it and realize that most of it is just noise.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I admit that I love all the information, but sometimes always you have to filter a lot of it and realize that most of it is just noise.
I made a few helpful corrections. ;)

The internets as a news delivery system, whether you're talking about football or politics or finance or science or whatever has jumped the shark. Know your sources, and then ask "does that make sense?". You have to connect your own dots.

This Rodgers-jumping-ship stuff was floated by Cowherd a while back. I noted earlier that a "cowherd" is like a shepherd for cows, so don't be a cow. I thought that was witty enough to repeat. :coffee: Cowherd was pontificating about Rodgers jumping for $35 million without even acknowledging that he had two years left on his contract. Did he bother to check that first? Did he not even care? I don't know which, but it was stupid. He's the worst kind of click bait. And there's a whole lot like him out there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I made a few helpful corrections. ;)

The internets as a news delivery system, whether you're talking about football or politics or finance or science or whatever has jumped the shark. Know your sources, and then ask "does that make sense?". You have to connect your own dots.

This Rodgers-jumping-ship stuff was floated by Cowherd a while back. I noted earlier that a "cowherd" is like a shepherd for cows, so don't be a cow. I thought that was witty enough to repeat. :coffee: Cowherd was pontificating about Rodgers jumping for $35 million without even acknowledging that he had two years left on his contract. Did he bother to check that first? Did he not even care? I don't know which, but it was stupid. He's the worst kind of click bait. And there's a whole lot like him out there.

I only know him as Cow-Turd......but I think we are on the same page. ;)

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
aging doesn't mean they're still not good. the new defense needs experienced guys to run it. you extend clay a couple of years at a reduced price. the crappy d isn't going to get better by just cutting your best linebacker. oh, and i still say move him inside and draft the best edge available at 14.
randal needs to stay at cb. he's not a hitter.
people saying they need a safety forget they drafted a safety/cb in josh jones. it's his natural position. he IS a hitter.
free agency will have a lot to say about what they do in the draft since it happens first.

they're going to have to ask themselves if they're in win-now mode or rebuilding mode. if it's rebuilding mode there's no better time than now to do the unthinkable for cle's 2 number one's. the cap issues suddenly go away too.

Despite great speed I don't think Josh Jones is a centerfielder free safety. He's a nickel/dime linebacker and box safety. I tend to agree Randall seems too soft for a safety but they really don't have a better option as a play making single high safety in Pettines system. I guess right now it's hhcd and he's not very rangy nor is he much of a play maker. So gotta sign one (Burnett, terrance Brooks, Tre Boston, Eric Reid) or draft one high

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted Reid back when the 9er's drafted him. I don't really know what he's done since, but I remember him being a PITA for us his rookie season. I think he had a pick or 2

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wanted Reid back when the 9er's drafted him. I don't really know what he's done since, but I remember him being a PITA for us his rookie season. I think he had a pick or 2

The 49'ers are plush in cap space, so I doubt paying Reid will be an issue, but paying him "market rate" might not be considered prudent on their part since he is their #2 SS behind Jaquiski Tartt, who was injured 1/2 into the season and Reid took over and played pretty decent (81.4 PFF grade). Sounds like he is a good locker room and on field presence.

https://ninernoise.com/2018/01/13/49ers-case-re-signing-eric-reid/

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
@HardRightEdge That was a lot of work and I applaud you.

I don't think they need to extend any of their current impending free agents. I love Burnett, but I do not favor giving new money to a 29 year old SS with 8 seasons on his body. Quinton Dial I would like to keep, but he should be affordable.

They need to decide who goes between Nelson and Cobb and cut that player. That's cold, but it needs to happen in my opinion. I guess theoretically they could just bite the bullet with three big receiver cap hits in one season, but cutting one would be an easy way to free up cap space. I am more attached to Nelson because of how much more he lived up to his last extension, but Cobb seems like the smarter "keep" at this point in his career.

I would not renegotiate and extend anyone other than Cobb, and that only in the case that he's taking a pay cut. I have no interest in committing more years of guaranteed money to a 33 year old Nelson or a 32 year old Matthews.

But personally, I do not think they should go hunting for the giant free agents. Free agency is about supplementing your roster and finding value-- not building your roster and paying for guys at their peaks. Gutekunst's approach should not be to fall in the ditch on the other side of the road from Thompson's usual strategy.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players like Rodgers are what the franchise tag was invented for... ie for players that literally are the franchise. That being said... I would much prefer a mutually acceptable deal be reached between the team and the player...... At the appropriate time.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not worried about it; he can't just walk away in 2 years.

What does that mean? I throw something out for the forum that I saw online (where nearly all our discussions spring from) and I'm dirty?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two words; death sentence

I'd rather the Packers trade Rodgers today than have to deal with possibly franchise tagging him in the future.

exactly. franchise tag would be killer. a couple of weeks ago i casually mentioned, in a half joking manner, that if they can't go into win-now mode, due the cap situation possibly being dire, that they should trade him to cle for their two number ones. that would give us 3 of the first 14 picks and solves all cap issues. cle has the cap room to take him and they're a team that's definitely on the up. we'd take one of the 2 or 3 qb's at 1, and the best defensive player available at 4. at 14 they can go any direction they want. it's a tough decision for them if they're thinking that way. fan backlash would be an issue but long-term considerations might out weigh fans. i'm a Packers fan first. i'm not advocating it but i'd completely understand if they did it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried about it; he can't just walk away in 2 years.

What does that mean? I throw something out for the forum that I saw online (where nearly all our discussions spring from) and I'm dirty?
If you're a dirty old man, i don't need the details. :)

it had nothing to do with you, don't worry. it's more about the motives of people like cowherd that originate and propagate this stuff

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why would a 20-25 million dollar cap hit for a QB who is already at a 20 million dollar cap it for us, "be killer"? If it even got to that point, which I highly doubt will

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
why would a 20-25 million dollar cap hit for a QB who is already at a 20 million dollar cap it for us, "be killer"? If it even got to that point, which I highly doubt will

I'm a little confused by the Chicken Little prognostications as well. Rodgers future cap hit likely goes up near 30M. The cap has also been climbing by 7-10M per season. These rising cap hits are reflecting a rising cap. The % of total cap space is remaining similar.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're a dirty old man, i don't need the details. :)

it had nothing to do with you, don't worry. it's more about the motives of people like cowherd that originate and propagate this stuff

I knew you meant nothing by it, my friend; I should have added a smiley emoji to let you know I was bustin' your chops. :D
On the if I'm a dirty old man part; I take the 5th.

Reaction score
It’s going to be a tough decision but someone’s gotta go. The current math doesn’t add up to being conducive to shopping in FA. (Thank You Hard Right Edge, nice work)
The more I look at it, the only way to keep the trifecta of Cobb, Jordy AND CLay is to shave 10-12M from their combined contracts.

Another approach would to cut 1, reduce another with a modest reduction on a short term deal and then get a hometown discount of a couple $Mill/year on the other with a multi year deal. That could put us back reasonably into the 40M range to go grocery shopping at the A&P Food Market without being overly hungry and frivolously overspending.
The WR draft runs deep like RB did last year. Let’s also remember who’s throwing the ball here, Aaron can make a 3rd rounder look like a 1st round pick. We also have 12 picks according to overthecap including an extra 3rd rounder. We likely now have 4 picks in the 5th round.
We need to be prepared to be aggressive in contract restructuring to mitigate the bleeding. We can go out on the free market and get 80-90% of their recent production for roughly 50% their current cost and let’s face it, CLay and Jordy are deep into the back 9 of a golf career that has shown more bogies than birdies.

I’d like to see us contemplate using one or two 5th rounders (or combination of that and another late round pick) as leverage to trade up and nail it by end of day 2 with some weapons for Rodgers. Edge, WR, TE, LB

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I throw something out for the forum that I saw online (where nearly all our discussions spring from) and I'm dirty?
@HardRightEdge That was a lot of work and I applaud you.

I don't think they need to extend any of their current impending free agents. I love Burnett, but I do not favor giving new money to a 29 year old SS with 8 seasons on his body. Quinton Dial I would like to keep, but he should be affordable.

They need to decide who goes between Nelson and Cobb and cut that player. That's cold, but it needs to happen in my opinion. I guess theoretically they could just bite the bullet with three big receiver cap hits in one season, but cutting one would be an easy way to free up cap space. I am more attached to Nelson because of how much more he lived up to his last extension, but Cobb seems like the smarter "keep" at this point in his career.

I would not renegotiate and extend anyone other than Cobb, and that only in the case that he's taking a pay cut. I have no interest in committing more years of guaranteed money to a 33 year old Nelson or a 32 year old Matthews.

But personally, I do not think they should go hunting for the giant free agents. Free agency is about supplementing your roster and finding value-- not building your roster and paying for guys at their peaks. Gutekunst's approach should not be to fall in the ditch on the other side of the road from Thompson's usual strategy.
I agree with all of that.

As for the the WRs, I think Nelson is in decline but something about Cobb has been nagging at me. I can't recall if it was the last Rodgers game or the last Hundley game, but Cobb was running through his routes trying to make one handed catches. It looked like business decisions. Perhaps he has an inkling he's out the door.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weren't you in the trade Rodgers crowd in 2016 when he started off slow?
I'm still in that crowd if a trade would be the most sensible option. If trading him results in an improved defense, better overall team, and better cap situation, how could any Packers (not Rodgers) fan possibly be upset about going that route?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree with all of that.

As for the the WRs, I think Nelson is in decline but something about Cobb has been nagging at me. I can't recall if it was the last Rodgers game or the last Hundley game, but Cobb was running through his routes trying to make one handed catches. It looked like business decisions. Perhaps he has an inkling he's out the door.

I would actually be happier if they chose to let Cobb go and kept Jordy and let him play in the slot. I love Jordy. I was just trying to be objective about it.

However, I suppose it's objectively true that Nelson was more productive with Rodgers last season than Cobb was.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm still in that crowd if a trade would be the most sensible option. If trading him results in an improved defense, better overall team, and better cap situation, how could any Packers (not Rodgers) fan possibly be upset about going that route?

You don't trade the best player in the game. That's the most regressive idea I've heard as far as the Packers' roster is concerned.