2012 Roster Predictions

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Now that we have the 90, it is finally time to start jinxing our favorite players by predicting they make the roster!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1182978-predicting-the-final-green-bay-packers-2012-53-man-roster

Now here's mine:

QB: Rodgers Harrell Hill
RB: Starks Green Saine (Saine is more versatile, so Green gets the change-up slot while Saine steps in on down 3)
FB: Kuhn (Raji Taylor)
WR: Jennings Nelson Cobb Jones Gurley (DD regrettably retires after winning DWTS)
TE: Finley Williams Taylor (PUP: Quarless?)
LT: Sherrod Newhouse
LG: Lang Barclay
C: Saturday Draheim
RG: Sitton Dominguez
RT: Bulaga Datko
NT: Raji Pickett (Muir?)
DE: (Pickett) Worthy Muir Wynn Guy (Suspension: Neal Hargrov)
LOLB: Perry Walden
SILB: Smith Francois (Hawk was traded to Philly for a 3 and moved back outside)
WILB: Bishop Manning
ROLB: Matthews So'oto Jones
CB: Woodson Williams Hayward Shields House
FS: Burnett Jennings
SS: McMillian Richardson (Peprah was traded to Philly with Hawk)
ST: Bush
LS: Goode
PS: Moss Smithson Coleman Genus Bennett Ross Daniels Lair

I think the math is right...

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't think Evan Dietrich-Smith hangs around on the o-line?

I think rookie Mike Daniels makes it as a DE. In fact, I think he surprises some folks...

Not a bad list...

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
EDS and Mike Daniels are locks to make the team.
They're both a bit short. I just don't see Daniels 2-gapping in the NFL. I do see some of the bigger guards picking him up off the ground. EDS is a great back-up, I just don't like him. Don't know why, I just don't like him. Dominguez converted from Tackle and is bigger than EDS. Besides, everybody knows EDS sweats like a pig, even Rodgers says so LOL
those trades... i donno...
I don't think they'll happen either. Both Peprah and Hawk will both probably and frustratingly be starting. Peprah is a good back-up, but Hawk needs to go back to 4-3 OLB where he didn't completely suck. Trade him, he WILL be cut eventually. He's too expensive to rot on our roster. Let him rot elsewhere.

It says in my tag "every cheese has its holes" Meet our biggest:

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If you want, toss Dominguez (or Barclay, who can also play T/C) Guy (or Richardson) and B Jones. Put Richardson on the PS (If you tossed Guy). Start Hawk and Peprah, and put EDS and Daniels on the rotation. Should your heart desire. Note that I still believe Sherrod shalt reclaim his rightful position from this New and shameful house

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that we have the 90, it is finally time to start jinxing our favorite players by predicting they make the roster!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1182978-predicting-the-final-green-bay-packers-2012-53-man-roster

Now here's mine:

QB: Rodgers Harrell Hill
RB: Starks Green Saine (Saine is more versatile, so Green gets the change-up slot while saine steps in on down 3)
FB: Kuhn (Raji Taylor)
WR: Jennings Nelson Cobb Jones Gurley (DD regrettably retires after winning DWTS)
TE: Finley Williams Taylor (PUP: Quarless?)
LT: Sherrod Newhouse
LG: Lang Barclay
C: Saturday Draheim
RG: Sitton Dominguez
RT: Bulaga Datko
NT: Raji Pickett (Muir?)
DE: (Pickett) Worthy Muir Wynn Guy (Suspension: Neal Hargrov)
LOLB: Perry Walden
SILB: Smith Francois (Hawk was traded to Philly for a 3 and moved back outside)
WILB: Bishop Manning
ROLB: Matthews So'oto Jones
CB: Woodson Williams Hayward Shields House
FS: Burnett Jennings
SS: McMillian Richardson (Peprah was traded for a 4 to Philly with Hawk)
ST: Bush
PS: Moss Smithson Coleman Genus Bennett Ross Daniels Lair

I think the math is right...
I wouldn't hold my breath on the trades. Besides I think Philly has who they want on D. I woudln't mind having Jenkins back

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold my breath on the trades. Besides I think Philly has who they want on D. I woudln't mind having Jenkins back
True, this is the year of the undervalued trades... Think they'd take them in exchange for a cheesesteak? Two fat guys, a pocket rocket, and a pair of bums? I think they could use another OLB, but Rolle is serviceable. Ryans and Kendrichs will do well, but they need a safety.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, this is the year of the undervalued trades... Think they'd take them in exchange for a cheesesteak? Two fat guys, a pocket rocket, and a pair of bums? I think they could use another OLB, but Rolle is serviceable. Ryans and Kendrichs will do well, but they need a safety.
I've had some authentic Philly cheesesteaks & they are the bomb. I thought Rolle got traded to the Rams

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I've had some authentic Philly cheesesteaks & they are the bomb. I thought Rolle got traded to the Rams
Where from? I lived LITERALLY right across the river (2 blocks from the shores of the Deleware right between the bridges) for 20 years. Just checked their roster, Brian Rolle is still there. Who did you mean? Casey? :roflmao:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on previous rosters, I'd guess that you have 1 too many QBs and 1 or 2 too many O-linemen. Obviously, Ted does a few oddball things, but it's been quite a while since he carried 3 QBs to start the season and last year I believe they only had 8 offensive linemen to start the season (Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, EDS, Sherrod, right?)

As far as where the extra spots go, I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Crabtree, as he is considered the best blocking tight end. Perhaps a total of 6 running backs? Even Harrel isn't a sure bet to be the number 2 QB, although it is pretty safe.

Note that the below isn't necessarily a depth chart, especially on the defensive line. And I'm short

Offense: 24
QB: Rodger, Harrel
RB: Starks, Green, Saine, Tyler
FG: Khun
WR: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Gurley
TE: Finley, Williams, Taylor, Crabtree
T: Newhouse, Sherrod
G: Lang, EDS
C: Saturday, Genus
G: Sitton
T: Bulaga

Defense: 24
E: Worthy, Daniels
N: Raji, Pickett
E: Guy and one of Wilson/Wynn.
LOLB: Perry, Jones
ILB: Hawk, Bishop, Smith, Manning
ROLB: Matthews, Walden
C: Williams, Woodson, Shields, Hayward, Bush, House
S: Burnett, Peprah, McMillian, Jennings

P: Masthay
K: Crosby

That's 50 and I'm not confident about Tyler, though I feel pretty good about the rest of the offense. Maybe a different number 5 WR.

The defense is where there are question marks. On the line, I'd say only Raji, Pickett, and Worthy are the only locks. Perry and Mathews the only OLB locks. Hawk (for this year!) and Bishop at ILB.

Defensive back is where it gets interesting. I'd really only call Woodson, Williams, and, Hayward, and Burnett locks. Shields and Peprah pretty good bets, and after that, who knows?

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where from? I lived LITERALLY right across the river (2 blocks from the shores of the Deleware right between the bridges) for 20 years. Just checked their roster, Brian Rolle is still there. Who did you mean? Casey? :roflmao:
I thought Philly traded Samarie(not sur of spelling)was traded. Back when favre was still QB I flew upto Philly to watch thr Packers play a Monday night game. Oct. 2nd I believe it was. I had a Philly sandwhich from one of those 2 places that are diagonally across from one another

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're both a bit short. I just don't see Daniels 2-gapping in the NFL. I do see some of the bigger guards picking him up off the ground. EDS is a great back-up, I just don't like him. Don't know why, I just don't like him.

Being short can be a plus in the trenches; it helps with leverage. Although Daniels has short arms, his professionalism and work ethic has "Packer" written all over it. More importantly, the NFL has become a passing league and he would make a great fit in our nickle defense.

I think Deitrich-Smith's versatility is what makes him stick on our roster as a backup. Just not liking him (and not knowing why) is a terrible supporting argument...

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB: Rodgers Coleman (2)
RB: Starks Green Tyler (3)
FB: Kuhn (4)
WR: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Driver, Gurley (10)
TE: Finley, Williams, Taylor (PUP: Quarless?) (13)
LT: Sherrod Newhouse (15)
LG: Lang, EDS (17)
C: Saturday Genus (19)
RG: Sitton (20)
RT: Bulaga Datko (22)
NT: Raji Pickett (24)
DE: Worthy, Daniels, Wilson, Guy (Suspension: Neal, Hargrove) (28)
LOLB: Perry, Lattimore (30)
SILB: Hawk, Smith (32) {Smith could beat out hawk in training camp}
WILB: Bishop Manning (34)
ROLB: Matthews So'oto Jones (37)
CB: Woodson, Williams, Hayward, Shields, House, Bush (43)
FS: Burnett Jennings (45)
SS: McMillian Peprah (47)
LS: Goode (48)
P: Mashay (49)
K: Crosby (50)

We always seem to have a good find in the UDFA, and this year, I think it might be Tyler. I don't know what I see there, but I just see it...

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Based on previous rosters, I'd guess that you have 1 too many QBs and 1 or 2 too many O-linemen. Obviously, Ted does a few oddball things, but it's been quite a while since he carried 3 QBs to start the season and last year I believe they only had 8 offensive linemen to start the season (Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, EDS, Sherrod, right?)

As far as where the extra spots go, I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Crabtree, as he is considered the best blocking tight end. Perhaps a total of 6 running backs? Even Harrel isn't a sure bet to be the number 2 QB, although it is pretty safe.

Note that the below isn't necessarily a depth chart, especially on the defensive line. And I'm short

Offense: 24
QB: Rodger, Harrel
RB: Starks, Green, Saine, Tyler
FG: Khun
WR: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Gurley
TE: Finley, Williams, Taylor, Crabtree
T: Newhouse, Sherrod
G: Lang, EDS
C: Saturday, Genus
G: Sitton
T: Bulaga

Defense: 24
E: Worthy, Daniels
N: Raji, Pickett
E: Guy and one of Wilson/Wynn.
LOLB: Perry, Jones
ILB: Hawk, Bishop, Smith, Manning
ROLB: Matthews, Walden
C: Williams, Woodson, Shields, Hayward, Bush, House
S: Burnett, Peprah, McMillian, Jennings

That's 50 and I'm not confident about Tyler, though I feel pretty good about the rest of the offense. Maybe a different number 5 WR.

The defense is where there are question marks. On the line, I'd say only Raji, Pickett, and Worthy are the only locks. Perry and Mathews the only OLB locks. Hawk (for this year!) and Bishop at ILB.

Defensive back is where it gets interesting. I'd really only call Woodson, Williams, and, Hayward, and Burnett locks. Shields and Peprah pretty good bets, and after that, who knows?
I'll give you the QB argument, cut Hill, Coleman has a higher upside. I'm fairly confident we will have a back-up Center in addition to EDS this year and/or next year, you saw how many linemen we had to sign last year. I'm sure the Pack will want to keep at least a bit of that surplus. I like that Crabtree fights for yards; he could be amazing if he fixed the drops. That seems to be a common problem (lookin at you Finley). I'm just really excited at the possibility the new players present, even if in my hard of hearts I know only maybe three or four players will change from last years roster. Practice Squad will be where the competition gets tense. forget the rosters, increase the size of the reserves!

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB: Rodgers Coleman (2)
RB: Starks Green Tyler (3)
FB: Kuhn (4)
WR: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Driver, Gurley (10)
TE: Finley, Williams, Taylor (PUP: Quarless?) (13)
LT: Sherrod Newhouse (15)
LG: Lang, EDS (17)
C: Saturday Genus (19)
RG: Sitton (20)
RT: Bulaga Datko (22)
NT: Raji Pickett (24)
DE: Worthy, Daniels, Wilson, Guy (Suspension: Neal, Hargrove) (28)
LOLB: Perry, Lattimore (30)
SILB: Hawk, Smith (32) {Smith could beat out hawk in training camp}
WILB: Bishop Manning (34)
ROLB: Matthews So'oto Jones (37)
CB: Woodson, Williams, Hayward, Shields, House, Bush (43)
FS: Burnett Jennings (45)
SS: McMillian Peprah (47)
LS: Goode (48)
P: Mashay (49)
K: Crosby (50)

We always seem to have a good find in the UDFA, and this year, I think it might be Tyler. I don't know what I see there, but I just see it...
Tyler would be the Question mark, i think Saine will fight for the split carries, and is probably half a second faster than Tyler on the 40 Dash, not that speed is everything but 4.70 is SLOoW!
Looking forward to the backup QB battle, could go either way right now.

Other than that, this roster looks good.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
At this point before one block or tackle is attempted in pads, it only makes sense to try to identify roster locks. So except for the injury caveat here are my locks:

OL: Bulaga, Sitton, Saturday, Lang, Newhouse, Sherrod
TE: Finley, Taylor
WR: Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones
QB: Rodgers, Harrell
RB: Starks, Green
FB: Kuhn

DL: Raji, Pickett, Worthy, Daniels
LB: Matthews, Perry, Bishop, Manning, Hawk
CB: Woodson, Williams, Hayward, Bush, Shields
S: Burnett, McMillian

IMO the top 6 draftees are indeed locks. The last of that group selected was Manning and I think they think they got a steal in the 5th round with Manning. (I have a hunch they did.) Those players will either make the 53 or be IR'd if they get injured but I'll bet they won't risk exposing any of them to waivers in an attempt to get them on the practice squad. Each will get at least two seasons to prove themselves.

The "controversial" locks: Harrell gets the nod because the coaching staff won't trust either newcomer to know the system as well as Harrell. Taylor is a lock IMO because he's the second most complete TE and he'd make it on his ST contribution anyway. I think Hawk is a lock but I wish he wasn't. I don't think Bush is controversial because he's a ST ace and because he knows the D well and can backup CB and S (not that he's great doing so).

That's 36. As for the next 17? There's just no way to tell with zero data to evaluate the newcomers vs. the returning vets. And we won't start to get some data until the pads come on. IOW, while it may be fun to guess, IMO there's not even enough evidence to base a guess upon.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOVING our new & improved Defensive Line!!!!

Depth Chart, Week one vs San Francisco:

DE: Pickett , Merling
NT/DT: Raji , Daniels
DE: Worthy , Guy

Cut: CJ Wilson, Jarius Wynn

Added in week 5 off suspension list: Mike Neal
Added in week 9 off suspension list (Still think his appeal should win, down to 4 games): Anthony Hargrove
Put in IR in week 9: Lawrence Guy

Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans, vs New England

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back when favre was still QB I flew upto Philly to watch thr Packers play a Monday night game. Oct. 2nd I believe it was. I had a Philly sandwhich from one of those 2 places that are diagonally across from one another

Ah, you mean Pat's and Geno's. I like Pat's better but they're both kinda meh. The best places are usually the local mom and pop corner stores. There's one on South Street, has the checkerboard floor but I always forget the name....one of the best I've had.

Now with the cheesesteak talk out of the way, I was wondering where you guys see Merling fitting in? I noticed he was absent from the OP final roster and just was wondering where he stands on the depth chart and in regards to your other DEs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I was wondering where you guys see Merling fitting in?
Good question. The Packers have 12 DL on the roster. UFAs Merling, Hargrove, and Muir all have NFL experience but (I believe) none of them got a signing bonus so they'll have to earn their spots.

Raji, Pickett, Worthy, and Daniels are all locks IMO so that leaves the three UFAs (after Hargrove serves his suspension if he's still around), Neal, Guy, Wilson, Wynn and Johnny Jones to compete for perhaps just two spots. IMO Wilson, Wynn and Jones are the longest of long shots so it could be 4 or 5 guys battling for two spots. Merling is the closest to prototypical size for a 3-4 DE but IMO he's going to have to show a pass rush because Raji and Pickett and perhaps a couple of others can play the run at DE in the 3-4. And unless he can pressure the QB he won't have a shot at backing up in the 2-man DL, their most used alignment over the past couple of seasons (and rushing the QB is their biggest overall need). BTW, if what McCarthy said about Neal is true and if his suspension is lifted (2 HUGE "ifs") he gets a spot perhaps leaving just one up for grabs.

That was a very longwinded way of saying I don’t know where or if Merling fits in. But I do know this: He better bring it every day in practice or he'll have a chance to catch on somewhere else.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOVING our new & improved Defensive Line!!!!

Depth Chart, Week one vs San Francisco:

DE: Pickett , Merling
NT/DT: Raji , Daniels
DE: Worthy , Guy

Cut: CJ Wilson, Jarius Wynn

Added in week 5 off suspension list: Mike Neal
Added in week 9 off suspension list (Still think his appeal should win, down to 4 games): Anthony Hargrove
Put in IR in week 9: Lawrence Guy

Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans, vs New England
I forgot about Daniel Muir.
He could stick too.....

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good question. The Packers have 12 DL on the roster. UFAs Merling, Hargrove, and Muir all have NFL experience but (I believe) none of them got a signing bonus so they'll have to earn their spots.

Raji, Pickett, Worthy, and Daniels are all locks IMO so that leaves the three UFAs (after Hargrove serves his suspension if he's still around), Neal, Guy, Wilson, Wynn and Johnny Jones to compete for perhaps just two spots. IMO Wilson, Wynn and Jones are the longest of long shots so it could be 4 or 5 guys battling for two spots. Merling is the closest to prototypical size for a 3-4 DE but IMO he's going to have to show a pass rush because Raji and Pickett and perhaps a couple of others can play the run at DE in the 3-4. And unless he can pressure the QB he won't have a shot at backing up in the 2-man DL, their most used alignment over the past couple of seasons (and rushing the QB is their biggest overall need). BTW, if what McCarthy said about Neal is true and if his suspension is lifted (2 HUGE "ifs") he gets a spot perhaps leaving just one up for grabs.

That was a very longwinded way of saying I don’t know where or if Merling fits in. But I do know this: He better bring it every day in practice or he'll have a chance to catch on somewhere else.

Well I appreciate the long-windedness(not a word). Very thorough breakdwon. I asked because Merling came from a 3-4 and flashed a little though he eventually fell out of favor. Didnt know if there were any rumblings from OTAs about how looked or if the coaches liked what they saw. But I know its only shorts and helmets so its hard to evaluate any interior player under those circumstances. I liked Neal coming out of the draft but it just seems its been one issue or another with him and he can't seem to get it going. I think Wynn is solid but you probably want more "push" opposite Pickett like you alluded to. Muir is the wildcard and the most unknown, IMO. Coming form that Cover 2, it'll be interesting to see how fits in with Capers scheme.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
And now the more reasonable and more likely chart.

QB: RODGERS HARRELL
RB: STARKS GREEN SAINE (FB) KUHN
WR JENNINGS NELSON DRIVER COBB JONES GURLEY
TE: FINLEY CRABTREE WILLIAMS TAYLOR
OL: BULAGA SHERROD NEWHOUSE DATKO SITTON LANG DOMINGUEZ SATURDAY GENUS GOODE
DL: RAJI PICKETT WORTHY DANIELS MUIR MERLING
LB: MATTHEWS PERRY WALDEN SO'OTO JONES HAWK BISHOP MANNING SMITH
CB: WOODSON WILLIAMS SHIELDS HAYWARD HOUSE BUSH BURNETT PEPRAH MCMILLIAN JENNINGS
PS: COLEMAN BENNETT MOSS BOREL ALLARD GUY MOSES RICHARDSON
PUP QUARLESS
SUSPENDED NEAL HARGROVE

Still hope Draheim gets a shot, still think Daniels is too small, still hope Sherrod unseats Newhouse, still hope Hawk gets traded and Smith takes over, still think we kept Guy around for a reason. Also think its more likely to have 7 DL (5 LB, 6 WR pretty certain too) We'll see how things go once the pads become a factor.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Still hope Draheim gets a shot, still think Daniels is too small, still hope Sherrod unseats Newhouse, still hope Hawk gets traded and Smith takes over, still think we kept Guy around for a reason. Also think its more likely to have 7 DL (5 LB, 6 WR pretty certain too) We'll see how things go once the pads become a factor.

Wasn't Guy just put on injured reserved last season? I could be wrong, but I thought that was the case. No point in releasing someone when they were put on IR, even if they don't think he'll make the team.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Wasn't Guy just put on injured reserved last season? I could be wrong, but I thought that was the case. No point in releasing someone when they were put on IR, even if they don't think he'll make the team.
Why pay a guy who was injured to sit on IR for the entire season when you could simply cut him if he wasn't worth keeping?

Members online

Latest posts