Ridiculously early 53 man roster predictions

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot.

QB - Rodgers, Coleman (2)
It may be silly to give Coleman the nod based on what coaches have said about his improvement so far, but he isn't replacing a star backup. The coaches still like Harrell, but I'll say Coleman outperforms him in TC and wins it.

RB/FB - Lacy, Franklin, Harris, Pease, Kuhn (5)
Pease is my UDFA darkhorse, and they clean house with Starks and Green after attempts to trade both.

TE - Finley, Williams, Taylor, Bostick (4)

OL - EDS, Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod, Barclay, Bakhtiari, Tretter, Datko (9)
I believe Van Roten barely maintained practice squad eligibility last year with 7 games on the active list, so they will attempt to get him back there again. Newhouse is the team surprise cut.

WR - Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin Ross, C. Johnson (6)
Ross makes it as a returner with Cobb's focus turning more to offense. Boykin makes it again this year, with Johnson also making it and Dorsey is a practice squad candidate.

DL - Raji, Pickett, Jones, Wilson, Daniels, Boyd (6)
Worthy starts on PUP. I don't see Jolly making it, though I would like if I am wrong.

LB - Matthews, Perry, Hawk, Bishop, Jones, Manning, Barrington, Moses, Francois (9)
They will offer a practice squad spot to Palmer, and Barrington is a dark horse of mine. They will cut Lattimore and hope for bigger things out of Manning this year.

DB - Shields, T. Williams, Hayward, House, Bush, Hyde, Burnett, McMillian, Jennings (9)

ST - Crosby, Masthay, Goode (3)

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it to be a numbers game at RB with Green. They certainly are going to keep Lacy and Franklin, and I'd be surprised and disappointed if Harris' success late last year doesn't buy him another chance to serve a role in this offense.

They can easily make the case for keeping 4 RB's, but probably not 5. I just didn't see a whole lot to be excited about with Alex last year, to be honest. To be fair, he probably wasn't fully recovered from the ACL injury, but he may end up being the victim of a numbers game.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a bad stab. Green ??? Not sure about him either. I hope you are right that Neal isn't on the final roster though I'm not sure he won't be.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I like the "ridiculously early" phrase included in the title and of course it is but I agree the OP is a pretty good guess. Like every year, I'm sure we're in for surprises (and if I could guess 'em now, they wouldn't be a surprise!).

The more I think about it the more I think Kuhn should be gone. What invaluable function does he serve? He's durable but that's (almost) damning with faint praise. As far as I can tell his best attribute is pass protection. If one of the new RBs - or old one for that matter - or a TE lining up in the backfield are decent at pass pro, what will they miss from Kuhn? Certainly not his $2.5M salary. Certainly not his "great" lead blocking. He catches the ball well but seldom to never makes a tackler miss or runs one over. And if FB is an important position in the O, shouldn't there be a backup?

As far as I know, Kuhn is a good guy and a good teammate and he brings a veteran presence but IMO that's just not enough.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it to be a numbers game at RB with Green. They certainly are going to keep Lacy and Franklin, and I'd be surprised and disappointed if Harris' success late last year doesn't buy him another chance to serve a role in this offense.

They can easily make the case for keeping 4 RB's, but probably not 5. I just didn't see a whole lot to be excited about with Alex last year, to be honest. To be fair, he probably wasn't fully recovered from the ACL injury, but he may end up being the victim of a numbers game.

My view:

Lacy makes it no matter what. Maybe IR, but he'll stick. Benefits of being a number 2 pick.

Harris makes it based on his success in the post-season.

Franklin is a strong bet to make it, but being a 4th round pick, isn't a lock. Solid bet, but not a lock.

Green makes it because of the three, he's been in system the longest and should know the most of the playbook. A complete, if lacking in carrying skills, back has value in this offense. He won't get Rodgers killed. About the same odds as Franklin in my book. He was a 3rd round pick, they won't get rid of him so easily. Solid bet, not a lock.

Starks is on the outside looking in. He's been hurt too much. Unlikely, but possible.

Kuhn: Only fullback on the roster, I'd prefer us to get younger and cheaper, but I don't know if we'll do it. Solid bet, not a lock.

Numbers: 5 total backs isn't a stretch. The Packers have done it recently (remember when we had 3 fullbacks on the roster?) as has a lot of the league. If the Packers are going to try to run more, it would make sense to carry more backs.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers. TT has done odd things to keep the best 53. 2 RB, 3FB. 6 WR, finishing with 7. 4 TEs.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lacy is big enough to play Kuhn's role. I know he's a better pure runner than Kuhn, but think about him in short yardage, catching it out of the backfield, pass protecting. I could see Kuhn gone and Lacy picking up a lot of the snaps he would have gotten. I think if you have Lacy and Franklin/Harris on the field at the same time, that's a matchup issue for a lot of teams when you've got to account for Finley and two of our top three WRs.

If you can dig that notion, I can see us keeping Green or back instead of Green. We wore out at RB for lack of depth last season. Harris was a nice surprise, but the rest was stop gap. It would be nice to be confident about the position top to bottom of the depth chart rather than have question marks.

I agree that Starks is done. He's hurt all the time, and he has no momentum within the scheme. If you don't do your job consistently, it hurts other parts of the offence. I liked his potential, but he came with some injury issues out of the draft. Here's hoping Lacy isn't a repeat!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good (ridiculously early) prediction, but I differ on the following:

I still highly doubt Coleman is polished enough to backup Aaron Rodgers. Harrell has been in McCarthy's offense for four years now I believe and while he has looked shaky in the past; so did Rodgers and Flynn at times playing backup. He is just more polished and has a better understanding over Coleman at this point, unless Coleman has progressed notably since last year.

Kuhn is as good as gone with his 2.5 million dollar salary, hitting age 30, and the amount of fullbacks and tight ends we brought to camp.

Quarless > Bostick

And the biggest problem with your prediction, the fact that only one UFA is on it. It is too early to tell, but that will likely be more if history is any indication. We usually carry 3-5 new ones each year

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My view:

Lacy makes it no matter what. Maybe IR, but he'll stick. Benefits of being a number 2 pick.

Franklin is a strong bet to make it, but being a 4th round pick, isn't a lock. Solid bet, but not a lock.

1) Why would Lacey be put on IR?

2) Franklin is a LOCK to make the roster and possible start. Fourth Round picks, especially those which the ultra-conservative GM trades up to draft, always stick on the roster.

M

mayo44

2) Franklin is a LOCK to make the roster and possible start. Fourth Round picks, especially those which the ultra-conservative GM trades up to draft, always stick on the roster.

Especially when that GM had him rated much higher. I actually had Lacy and Franklin at #1 and #2 on my own personal list. I couldn't be happier :)

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait until Quarless gets cut so everyone can stop saying how he is good and worth keeping on the roster. He isn't. Get him healthy and keep him around long enough to make sure no one else is hurt in camp and then good bye.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Only that someway, somehow he sticks around. If he lays an egg, he'll have sudden "hamstring" injury at the end of training camp.

He's not a lock. He could work out poorly. I'd be shocked if that happens, but it is certainly possible.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Green will stay for at least one more year until Lacy picks up our blocking system. 9 OL? Unlikely IMO, and Newhouse would get dealt for a late round pick. 6 DL? Even less likely, especially when you cut Neal, for whom the argument for best DL pass rusher last year could be made. If others prove to be competent KR, Ross' spot could be in jeopardy, especially after the Hyde pick. 3 Safeties?!?!?! Please just cut Jarrett Bush, 4 Safeties is about the minimum.

H

HardRightEdge

It's very early and injuries between now and opening day will change the landscape. That will not, of course, stop me from making the following premature adjustments to the OP list:

TB: Pease is a nice story, but I don't see it. Possibly Green if we go with 4. Starks could be problematic if he stays healthy all the way through preseason; the guy can run the ball when healthy and he could steal a spot. Lip service is often paid to "competition", but that's not the case here. I don't think anybody here is a lock to make the roster after Lacy, and the starting job is wide open. Recognition has dawned we have a serious problem here and I don't think there will be much messing around with "this guy was a higher pick" bias. It will be tough to winnow this group down to the usual 3 names so we can say 4 for now.

FB: I could see us going without Kuhn or any FB at all if they finish going all-in on the H-back concept. Kuhn's chief virtue relative to the other backs is as a blocker, but it's not like he's Vonta Leach...he's just OK. But like Bush, they just like having him around, and MM has some pages in the playbook where the up back is supposed to provide a run/block/catch option look while also providing audible flexibility. I think it will be tough to move him out.

TE: MM wanted a blocking stud at TE so TT went out and got him Mulligan. Short yardage, goal line, extra blocker on the kick line...I expect him to make the roster. 5 TEs again is certainly doable. Williams is expendable in his unimpressiveness and could get pushed out if they go with 4 or a dark horse emerges or Quarless can play.

OL: MM has carried 7 the past few years. I could see 8. 9 is not realistic. Datko is the odd man out. Newhouse sticks if Sherrod can't play.

WR: The top 4 are locked. Ross is vulnerable. We could go back to carrying 5 again. Spots 5 and 6 (if there is a 6) will be highly competitive. A clear theme in the roster additions is straight line speed, a need we've had for some time....Charles Johnson and Myles White are guys with stretch-the-field potential. We need to find a kick returner who's not named Cobb. Ross has the experience the other competitors do not...but he also had the big game choke. I expect Franklin to do KOs. We just have to find a punt return guy.

D-Line: I think Neal will be back. With Raji, Pickett and Wilson being FAs in 2014, I think we could go with 7 here. When Worthy comes back a decision will need to be made. It's a bit strange they didn't add a big body NT-type other than Pena. I guess the plan it to figure that out next off season, along with the starting TE.

LB: Mathews, Perry, Hawk, Jones and Francois are set. I include Francois in that list only because we gave him a 1 year contract for $750k with a $50k signing bonus...they like the guy OK. Manning will probably make the cut too. After that, I think the competition is as wide open as at TB.

DB: Your list looks about right. Every year we wonder if Bush has seen his last snap, and every year he sticks. He gets paid a lot of money to play gunner and captain the special teams. Like Kuhn, they just like having the guy around. Sean Richardson had neck surgery at the end of January; I've not heard any status update for him since. I would not count him out at all if he's healthy, even as the starter...his competition at the #2 safety spot is not very stiff. In fact, I believe the safety position will prove to be the defense's weak spot and will draw serious attention in the 2014 off season if TE and NT issues don't suck all the air out of the room. Pity...there were some quality vets available for not much money.

ST: Is some street FA who's never kicked in an NFL game going displace Crosby? We can only hope.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only that someway, somehow he sticks around. If he lays an egg, he'll have sudden "hamstring" injury at the end of training camp.

He's not a lock. He could work out poorly. I'd be shocked if that happens, but it is certainly possible.

I don't agree with either of those. Lacey is healthy and Franklin is an ABSOLUTE lock to make the team. Ted does not cut fourth round picks.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't agree with either of those. Lacey is healthy and Franklin is an ABSOLUTE lock to make the team. Ted does not cut fourth round picks.
Somebody doesn't know just how much of a lock Franklin actually is. Only way he doesn't make this roster is if he has a career ending injury in the preseason or he croaks. Even then he has a good shot.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Quarles and Stoneburner kept and Williams and Bostick cut. I think Newhouse stays with either Datko or Tretter on the practice squad. I see Neal kept and maybe Wilson cut. I think/hope Kuhn is gone with Taylor and a RB handling the FB assignments. I think Green stays instead of Pease unless Pease is really impressive in camp and preseason. I think Harrell is the backup QB with Coleman retained on the practice squad - I think he is still eligible. I think Mulumba makes the team with Palmer and maybe Barrington on the practice squad. I wouldn't be surprised if Boykin is cut.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot.

QB - Rodgers, Coleman (2)
It may be silly to give Coleman the nod based on what coaches have said about his improvement so far, but he isn't replacing a star backup. The coaches still like Harrell, but I'll say Coleman outperforms him in TC and wins it.

RB/FB - Lacy, Franklin, Harris, Pease, Kuhn (5)
Pease is my UDFA darkhorse, and they clean house with Starks and Green after attempts to trade both.

TE - Finley, Williams, Taylor, Bostick (4)

OL - EDS, Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod, Barclay, Bakhtiari, Tretter, Datko (9)
I believe Van Roten barely maintained practice squad eligibility last year with 7 games on the active list, so they will attempt to get him back there again. Newhouse is the team surprise cut.

WR - Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin Ross, C. Johnson (6)
Ross makes it as a returner with Cobb's focus turning more to offense. Boykin makes it again this year, with Johnson also making it and Dorsey is a practice squad candidate.

DL - Raji, Pickett, Jones, Wilson, Daniels, Boyd (6)
Worthy starts on PUP. I don't see Jolly making it, though I would like if I am wrong.

LB - Matthews, Perry, Hawk, Bishop, Jones, Manning, Barrington, Moses, Francois (9)
They will offer a practice squad spot to Palmer, and Barrington is a dark horse of mine. They will cut Lattimore and hope for bigger things out of Manning this year.

DB - Shields, T. Williams, Hayward, House, Bush, Hyde, Burnett, McMillian, Jennings (9)

ST - Crosby, Masthay, Goode (3)

QB: All 3 stay. Coleman isn't ready to take over if something happens to Aaron at this time. If he proves it in pre-season then by all means keep Coleman, but you always need that "emergency" QB, so I would still keep 3, making Coleman the 3rd, and picking up a backup if Harrell isn't the guy. I think Coleman ends up Practice squad again.

RB: Lacy, Franklin, Green, Kuhn and I could see Ted maybe picking up a fullback in a trade or off waivers after final cuts.

TE: Finley, Taylor and Bostick. I can't come up with a reason with how he's been used so far for Williams to be there. Bostick to practice squad

WR: Nelson and Cobb are the starters with Jones, Boykin and Ross as the special formation receivers. I'd like to see Ted do something in trade or waiver wire before the season. Beyond Jones to me we're thin.

OL: EDS, Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Newhouse, Barclay, Tretter, Datko, Van Roten are my guys here. I think Tretter ends up on practice squad. I'd like to see Ted come up with a veteran interior lineman off waiver wire here as well, someone who can play guard and center. Not sold on EDS until he proves he can do it. What I can't get a bead on really good here is Sherrod. If he's healthy he stays, if not he goes. He gets the final spot.

DL: I tend to agree with you, though I think once Worthy comes back from PUP he'll make an impact this year. Could they put Jolly on the Practice squad this year? If so I'd do that.

LB: Matthews, Perry, Bishop, Jones, Manning, Moses, Francois, Lattimore. Hawk gets cut.

DB: Shields (Nickle back), Williams, Hayward (Think Casey starts), House, Bush, McMillan, Jennings. My surprise cut Morgan Burnett gets it in the neck.

ST: Agreed

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody doesn't know just how much of a lock Franklin actually is. Only way he doesn't make this roster is if he has a career ending injury in the preseason or he croaks. Even then he has a good shot.

I would like to point out the Brian Brohm, a SECOND round pick, was cut after training camp.

TT puts a lot of trust in his process, but he's not an idiot. If Lacy, Harris, Green, and that UDFA everyone is excited about out perform Franklin, TT will either cut him or carry 5 HBs.

Re-read what I wrote. He's not a lock, but I would be shocked if he doesn't make the team.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I see Quarles and Stoneburner kept and Williams and Bostick cut. I think Newhouse stays with either Datko or Tretter on the practice squad. I see Neal kept and maybe Wilson cut. I think/hope Kuhn is gone with Taylor and a RB handling the FB assignments. I think Green stays instead of Pease unless Pease is really impressive in camp and preseason. I think Harrell is the backup QB with Coleman retained on the practice squad - I think he is still eligible. I think Mulumba makes the team with Palmer and maybe Barrington on the practice squad. I wouldn't be surprised if Boykin is cut.
Quarless is coming off an injury, and Bostick has supposedly been making strides. Tretter will never make it to the PS. Taylor has been lead blocking for Kuhn already, the job is essentially his. I would be VERY surprised if Boykin is cut, he and Johnson are virtual locks to make this team as Jones/Nelson replacements respectively.

Members online

Latest posts