Ridiculously early 53 man roster predictions

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I would like to point out the Brian Brohm, a SECOND round pick, was cut after training camp.

TT puts a lot of trust in his process, but he's not an idiot. If Lacy, Harris, Green, and that UDFA everyone is excited about out perform Franklin, TT will either cut him or carry 5 HBs.

Re-read what I wrote. He's not a lock, but I would be shocked if he doesn't make the team.
What I'm implying is that he'll perform well enough to keep from getting cut. A few years out Brandian Ross outperformed Davon House. House was a rookie 4th round pick, Ross was a UDFA. Guess who went to the PS and eventually Oakland? Unless he turns out a garbage performance the rest of camp (which once again, I do not believe will happen) or gets hurt (Ricky Elmore) he'll make roster.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
QB: All 3 stay. Coleman isn't ready to take over if something happens to Aaron at this time. If he proves it in pre-season then by all means keep Coleman, but you always need that "emergency" QB, so I would still keep 3, making Coleman the 3rd, and picking up a backup if Harrell isn't the guy. I think Coleman ends up Practice squad again.

RB: Lacy, Franklin, Green, Kuhn and I could see Ted maybe picking up a fullback in a trade or off waivers after final cuts.

TE: Finley, Taylor and Bostick. I can't come up with a reason with how he's been used so far for Williams to be there. Bostick to practice squad

WR: Nelson and Cobb are the starters with Jones, Boykin and Ross as the special formation receivers. I'd like to see Ted do something in trade or waiver wire before the season. Beyond Jones to me we're thin.

OL: EDS, Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Newhouse, Barclay, Tretter, Datko, Van Roten are my guys here. I think Tretter ends up on practice squad. I'd like to see Ted come up with a veteran interior lineman off waiver wire here as well, someone who can play guard and center. Not sold on EDS until he proves he can do it. What I can't get a bead on really good here is Sherrod. If he's healthy he stays, if not he goes. He gets the final spot.

DL: I tend to agree with you, though I think once Worthy comes back from PUP he'll make an impact this year. Could they put Jolly on the Practice squad this year? If so I'd do that.

LB: Matthews, Perry, Bishop, Jones, Manning, Moses, Francois, Lattimore. Hawk gets cut.

DB: Shields (Nickle back), Williams, Hayward (Think Casey starts), House, Bush, McMillan, Jennings. My surprise cut Morgan Burnett gets it in the neck.

ST: Agreed
Not sure if serious, or just temporary lapse in brain function:

Tretter won't make waivers, and will probably beat GVR out.

Jolly hasn't been eligible for PS in literally years, he's a veteran player.

As much as we would love to see Hawk go the only guys on the DC who can play his side are Jones and Francois, and it's Bishop who's supposedly on the block.

ONLY two Safeties on the roster, one in a contract year, and it's not Burnett: our best cover Safety? Speechless...

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn needs to get cut. He's too expensive, pretty worthless, and it's not like he's even that good of a FB!

An UFA (kind of) to keep an eye out for is Sean Richardson.

Neal will make the team. He's got too much potential to cut and showed flashes last year. Without Worthy, we need those type of pass-rushers for the nickel, okie, etc.

Both linemen drafted will make the squad - unless they completely bust in TC. As a result, the cuts will be GVR and I think one of Newhouse and Sherrod could be cut (and maybe both) in favor of Barclay and the CO guy (I can't even begin to spell his last name - hence this reference). If Sherrod isn't up to form following his injury, it's an easy cut in my mind. If he's not right two years later, it's not worth continuting to hold out hope just because he's a former first-rounder when you have guys like Barclay, the CO guy, and Tretter - a swing guy that will likely be the interior backup.

Palmer will make the roster so long as he doesn't completely bust in TC. The OLB position is pretty bare. They grabbed him early for a reason. They obviously see something they like.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to point out the Brian Brohm, a SECOND round pick, was cut after training camp.

TT puts a lot of trust in his process, but he's not an idiot. If Lacy, Harris, Green, and that UDFA everyone is excited about out perform Franklin, TT will either cut him or carry 5 HBs.

Re-read what I wrote. He's not a lock, but I would be shocked if he doesn't make the team.

Not that I disagree with your general point, but Brohm was not cut after his initial NFL camp. He did serve out all of 2008 on our active roster as the third string and was released in 2009.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green will stay for at least one more year until Lacy picks up our blocking system. 9 OL? Unlikely IMO, and Newhouse would get dealt for a late round pick. 6 DL? Even less likely, especially when you cut Neal, for whom the argument for best DL pass rusher last year could be made. If others prove to be competent KR, Ross' spot could be in jeopardy, especially after the Hyde pick. 3 Safeties?!?!?! Please just cut Jarrett Bush, 4 Safeties is about the minimum.

You're right about Neal, I completely forgot about him, I do have him making the roster, but I'd have to go back and see whose spot he takes.

I am not writing off there being 9 O-linemen this year. TT does adapt, and he may value a little more depth there, especially with a talented but not top-heavy group. Just a hunch.

I think there is a good chance they convert Hyde to safety as the 4th safety. They value Bush too much as a special teamer to cut him, he's safe.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if serious, or just temporary lapse in brain function:

Tretter won't make waivers, and will probably beat GVR out.

Jolly hasn't been eligible for PS in literally years, he's a veteran player.

As much as we would love to see Hawk go the only guys on the DC who can play his side are Jones and Francois, and it's Bishop who's supposedly on the block.

ONLY two Safeties on the roster, one in a contract year, and it's not Burnett: our best cover Safety? Speechless...

Didn't know that about Jolly, so that's my mistake, gotta admit after him being outta the league 3 years it'd be a smart move though. Van Roten I only put on the active roster, cause we need a backup for EDS, and he did suit up for a few games last year so he's had coaching, not to mention PS experience. As far as Burnett going with 2 safeties is a bit sketchy, but it'd what I would do, we have to improve back there since Woodson is gone, and I think Doc Jennings will be the ball hawk this year, plus I just don't like Burnett, too many mistakes. Granted they could be scheme issues, and if they are I'll admit I'm wrong but at times he looks atrocious.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't know that about Jolly, so that's my mistake, gotta admit after him being outta the league 3 years it'd be a smart move though. Van Roten I only put on the active roster, cause we need a backup for EDS, and he did suit up for a few games last year so he's had coaching, not to mention PS experience. As far as Burnett going with 2 safeties is a bit sketchy, but it'd what I would do, we have to improve back there since Woodson is gone, and I think Doc Jennings will be the ball hawk this year, plus I just don't like Burnett, too many mistakes. Granted they could be scheme issues, and if they are I'll admit I'm wrong but at times he looks atrocious.

I don't get the Burnett bashing. He played every single defensive snap on defense last year - so he's absurdly reliable (which is saying something for this team). And he has more INT's through this point in his career than Nick Collins had at the same juncture in his career. I think he's improved every year. I'm sure there's been some mistakes, but you can say that about everyone on that defense.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On further analysis, I agree about Tretter. Also, it seems like Bostick has a lot of potential - which might be more valuable than the polish of Stoneburner. However, Quarles over Williams seems very likely if in fact Quarles is healthy, and Boykin to me seems like the 6th WR and a good candidate to be cut if either Dorsey or a UDFA stand out or if a spot is needed elsewhere and 6 WRs aren't kept.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Tretter is the new GVR/EDS is all. I'll admit that I'm as low on Jennings as you are on Burnett: IMO Doc is horrendous, and needs to be replaced, but he's the only other FS we have. Burnett looked bad because Jennings isn't a true FS, and Burnett bit a few times on the play fake (the entire defense was guilty of that, and understandably so those last 3 games)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a bad stab. Green ??? Not sure about him either. I hope you are right that Neal isn't on the final roster though I'm not sure he won't be.
Neal played pretty well late last year, for sure better than Jerel Worthy or CJ Wilson.
He showed the talent that had Teddy take him 4 rounds sooner than any experts expected.
He makes the team for sure ----unless he gets hurt again.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal played pretty well late last year, for sure better than Jerel Worthy or CJ Wilson.
He showed the talent that had Teddy take him 4 rounds sooner than any experts expected.
He makes the team for sure ----unless he gets hurt again.

Won't get any arguments from me on Worthy. Wilson plays a different roll. I don't think Neal has lived up to his 2nd round draft position or any other for that matter.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Neal was supposed to be the replacement for Cullen Jenkins which would include starting at DE in the base in place of Wilson. So no, he hasn't lived up to expectations. But at this point, expectations should be set aside: What's important is keeping the best DL (as long as they aren't outrageously expensive for the role they're expected to play) and he will likely be among that group even if his main role is on the 2-man DL, if he's healthy.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on keeping the best guys but I don't think Neal has ever shown the talent per the posters comment I responded to. No he hasn't turned out to be the replacement for Jenkins.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Kuhn but I don't see him making the team

I disagree. I just don't see another lead blocker coming out of the group of TE's especially the RB's. But, his biggest setback is the $2.5 M he is being paid. He also doesn't have the mystique that he used to. Too predictable.

I guess I agree with you. Talked myself out of my own argument.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I disagree. I just don't see another lead blocker coming out of the group of TE's especially the RB's. But, his biggest setback is the $2.5 M he is being paid. He also doesn't have the mystique that he used to. Too predictable.

I guess I agree with you. Talked myself out of my own argument.
Kuhn doesn't lead block, they put Williams and Taylor in to do that. If he's kept around it's to pass block on 3rd down and shine on ST.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Roster guesses are no longer ridiculously early but I thought I've revive this thread anyway. (Mods if there's a more current appropriate thread for this, please move this post to it.) Wilde has his roster guess here: http://espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=8931&is_corp=1

Too bad Young wasn’t signed in March – but honestly thinking about how Young would do after a full course of McCarthy’s QB school says more about the other backups than Young.

Wilde reported that Van Pelt pretty much guaranteed Kuhn’s spot in an earlier interview. Too bad, I think his spot could be better filled. And BTW, if FB is so important, why have just one?

As he has been reporting for a while Wilde thinks Barclay has won the RT job. (No use crying over spilt milk but the more I’ve seen Bakhtiari the more I think about him at RT and Bulaga at LT. BTW, if Bakhtiari plays as I expect him to, Bulaga may return to his RT spot next year.)

If Trgo and Capers are really solidly in Jolly’s corner, he makes the final 53 IMO. And he should.

Perhaps the most controversial thing in the column is Wilde wondering whether or not Neal is “even a DL anymore”. I think they’ll still count him in that group but who knows? Neal has dropped weight but he's incredibly strong and could certainly put his hand down rushing the passer in sub packages IMO.

Wilde has Lattimore and Mulumba as “In”. I hope he’s right about Mulumba who he writes has been working ahead of Moses. Mulumba has some natural pass rushing skill and is certainly worth keeping IMO. I’m not so sure about Lattimore and for example as Wilde writes, Barrington is on the first string return units so he’s improved his chances. Most disappointing for me out of this group is Manning failing to distinguish himself.

No surprises at DB. Too bad about Richardson – I would have loved to see how he progressed. Brandon Smith is almost certainly headed to the PS. Great size and speed for a CB, he just needs more experience to make the switch from WR to DB.

Still hoping the PK isn’t on the roster yet.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Mulumba, I think he's our best OLB outside of Matthews from what I've seen this year. Perry needs to show me he'll stay healthy as well.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJV: I also don't understand the perceived need for Kuhn. With a stable of RBs and TEs the Packers are likely to have, I don't see what Kuhn is going to contribute. Is he that good of a blocker? Short yardage? I'd rather see the ball in Lacy's hands in short yardage full stop.

Unfortunately, there has been some incredible report about Mulumba "blowing up his knee" in a meeting of all things! So it's not clear what his status will be. Jesus, must be some meetings.

IF Neal really has dropped that much weight, I think this may be a good thing in the long run. Perry has not yet lived up to his #1 draft potential and a Neal vs. Perry competition could be just the thing. Plus with Datone Jones as our new DE, assuming he quits spraining his ankle, it allows the Packers to keep a guy like CJ Wilson or Boyd on the roster.

Members online

Latest posts