Final 53 Man Roster Educated Guess

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like Anthony Levine has been sitting on practice squad for 3 years, occupying the best jersey # in football, #34.
Hard to believe to me that we can't get a big-time RB in here to wear the # of Sweetness, Earl Campbell, Thurman Thomas, etc.

Packers are looking to bring in an OL from somewhere..... watch for it.

H

HardRightEdge

A backup OT was needed in any case; with Sherrod going to PUP it's now a necessity. With 11 DBs and 9 LBs, there are guys in those groups still on the bubble, one of which will be gone when the OT is acquired.

It's curious they went with 53 instead of 52 with Walden coming back in week 2. So far as I can tell, the only disadvantage in going with 52 is you're then prevented from signing 3rd. year guys to the practice squad. I can't imaging Levine (the only 3rd. year candidate from our PS) is worth taking up one of the limited practice squad spots given the youth and numbers among the 53, and the fact going with 53 costs a season's salary for somebody who will sit on inactive for one game before departing with Walden's return.

Perhaps Walden is not a lock, though I'd be surprised by that. Perhaps they want to leave open the option of picking up for PS another team's guy with 2 yrs. on PS already. Perhaps they don't care about dropping a minimum $390,000 to try to keep Levine on PS. Maybe nobody cares about $390,000 cash if it doesn't impact the cap...just add 50 cents to the ticket prices. I shall consider the final outcome an educational experience.

If I'm counting right, there are 13 entirely new faces including 4 undrafted rookies, plus 2 PS elevations. The beat goes on.

H

HardRightEdge

Coleman was just a camp arm. The project backup qb gets taken or signed next year in the form of Jordan Rodgers.

If Coleman is signed to PS you'll know he's more than a camp arm. You wonder how many gentleman's agreements are out there..."you don't touch my PS guys and I won't touch yours."

Update: From Wes Hod, "The Chattanooga Times Free Press is also reporting the Packers have signed rookie quarterback B.J. Coleman (6-3, 231) to the practice squad."

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it were not for the PUP and IR numbers several of these guys would not have made it. Now they have an OPPORTUNITY.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If House is out against the 9ers its Shields starting right?
I don't expect to see him there all season but Bush is the best tackler of the CBs so it may be him at RCB against the run-heavy 49ers. It REALLY sucks that House got hurt - when he does play (with the harness) he'll be the one-armed man Williams was last year. I usually don't let myself "go there" but imagine this D backfield in the nickel with a healthy House & Williams at CB, Collins and Burnett at safety and Woodson wrecking havoc from where ever.
If Coleman is signed to PS you'll know he's more than a camp arm. You wonder how many gentleman's agreements are out there..."you don't touch my PS guys and I won't touch yours."
I think the gentleman's agreement occurs between the team and the player, not between teams. For example years ago, the Bears came after Detmer when he was on the PS and I'll bet the Packers made some guarantees to him and he turned the Bears down. Just last year, the Packers gave raises to Gurley and Borel to stay on the PS.

H

HardRightEdge

I think the gentleman's agreement occurs between the team and the player, not between teams. For example years ago, the Bears came after Detmer when he was on the PS and I'll bet the Packers made some guarantees to him and he turned the Bears down. Just last year, the Packers gave raises to Gurley and Borel to stay on the PS.

Oh, I don't doubt certain teams have no reluctance going after certain other teams' players. Guys get signed off PS by other teams with some frequency. JAX signed Chastin West off or our PS last year.

Some team managements have no particular personal relationships with other teams, and in some cases enough bad blood, to not take a "hands off" approach. I'm reminded of the SEA/MIN transition tag "poison pill" shenenigans of the mid-2000s...those guys today might sign a PS guy out of revenge.

The question I raised is the other side of the coin...how many gentleman's agreements are out there? I would not expect anyone to have a definitive answer.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Oh, I don't doubt certain teams have no reluctance going after certain other teams' players. Guys get signed off PS by other teams with some frequency. Some team managements have no particular personal relationships with other teams, and in some cases enough bad blood, to not take a "hands off" approach. I'm reminded of the SEA/MIN transition tag "poison pill" shenenigans of the mid-2000s...those guys today might sign a PS guy out of revenge.

The question I raised is the other side of the coin...how many gentleman's agreements are out there? I would not expect anyone to have a definitive answer.
We would probably have one with the Browns Seahawks Dolphins Raiders or Eagles. At the very least they might make a call to let us know they plan on grabbing somebody.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually don't let myself "go there" but imagine this D backfield in the nickel with a healthy House & Williams at CB, Collins and Burnett at safety and Woodson wrecking havoc from where ever.

Was just thinking this same thing, our D would not be questioned. Sucks the way the injury bug bounces, Hawk never seems to get hurt.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Seems like Anthony Levine has been sitting on practice squad for 3 years, occupying the best jersey # in football, #34.
Hard to believe to me that we can't get a big-time RB in here to wear the # of Sweetness, Earl Campbell, Thurman Thomas, etc.

Packers are looking to bring in an OL from somewhere..... watch for it.
They brought in a rookie guard that was cut by the Cardinals, but I doubt he's the guy. The real question is: Mckenzie Essex Kemoeatu or Carey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Chances that last spot is reserved for Richardson? Front runners IMO are Draheim and Moss. Levine is eligible but I don't see him taking it. Still pulling for Draheim.

H

HardRightEdge

Press Gazette says the word on the street is Gurley was signed to the Vikes practice squad.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts