1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

The Offical - Final Roster - Position Limits

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Sunshine885500, Aug 27, 2013.

1. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Yeah what is this Tolzein stuff...pfff....Matt Moore?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,970
    maybe Ted traded for him?

Maybe there is more in the works

3. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,245
    I count 14 as well, including guys from last year's PS.

I count 11 rookies: Lacy, Franklin, Bakhtiari, Taylor, D. Jones, Boyd, Barrington, Mulumba, Palmer, Hyde, Banjo

Bakhtiari and Hyde were the clear standouts in this group for decent-to-good play through out the preseason. Lacy started strong and hopes remain high. Banjo...quite the surprise being an unheralded late add...nickname "Deliverance"? We could use some at the safety position.

Coleman, Bostick and Van Roten ended last year on practice squad.

Ross started last year on PS; we all know the Jolly story.

So, I count 16 guys not on the 53 man at this time last year. Some may not stick if and when guys come off PUP. Somebody will be out when we find a #3 QB...Oh, yeah, I guess we did already.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  4. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,245
    I checked Moore's salary situation...he signed for 2 years, $8 mil, including $3 mil signing bonus this offseason.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the Fins are responsible for the bonus cash-wise and cap-wise, leaving $1 mil due for 2013 and $4 mil due for 2014. Too rich for TT's blood. If he knows we won't make the playoffs without Rodgers, why spend the money? I'd like to think a decent backup who can win one game against a poor-to-mediocre team could mean the difference between going on and going home.

5. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    I have no reason to believe the Packers would have kept him if his prognosis wasn't good.

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,245
    His prognosis has been and continues to be iffy, to say the least. They would not have kept him this long if he wasn't a first round pick.

They stuck with Justin Harrell for 4 years for the same reason...a lot was invested. Every team does this with problem #1 picks.

I would not expect Sherrod to play this year in any case. He hasn't played any football in 2 years...he hasn't even practiced during that time. Expecting to somehow bring him back mid-year with padded practices limited to one or none per week in-season while concentrating focus on the next opponent seems wildly optimistic.

He wasn't even a polished player to start with...no off season in 2011, and limited on-the-job training that year. It would be a remarkable and highly unlikely set of circumstances that would get him on the field this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,245
    A further note on Sherrod. Cutting him this year would result in about $825,000 in dead cap money. Keeping him means we only pay his 2013 salary of about $975,000. While the cash cost of keeping is that nearly $1 million, the cap cost is negligible. Next off season the calculus becomes more difficult, and he MUST get on the field then:

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Derek Sherrod&Position=OL&Team=Packers

8. Sunshine885500

Sunshine885500 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +49
    No one has mentioned the possibility of the Packers bringing back Cedric Benson as backup RB. He's only 30 yrs old and definitely can run the rock if needed. Also, I like the thought of bringing in an experienced QB to backup ARod like Moore or Quinn.

9. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,245
    We've got Lacy and Starks to run between the tackles. I suppose if one of those guys got hurt they might work out Benson, but he had that Lisfranc injury which is quite serious and often a career ender. It doesn't take much in the way of physical problems to make an adequate player inadequate.

Michael Turner and Willis McGahee are rock pounders looking for work, but they are probably waiting for teams with injury problems to give them a starting job and the money to go with it.

10. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970
    Thought the Chiefs ortho guy did the surgery?

He has been running for weeks on it...So we wont know until the 6 weeks are up

11. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,011
    Wasn't Tolzien with SF the past two years? Who else to get on the practice / scout team when preparing for them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,970
    That is why he was signed..I am sure he will stay in case they like him

13. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    We need some of these guys to become blue chippers for us.

14. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,011