1st preseason game

H

HardRightEdge

I agree about Ripkowski. Entering training camp I expected him to make the roster but according to reports he hasn't had a good start.
Yeah, I had Ripkowski penciled in as well. At the same time, Henry got a positive note on his backfield blocking from one of the beat writers. He could be an H-back candidate for backfield and in-line blocking duty.

We recall that the scouting report on Ripkowski had him leading with his head. That's evident in the tape as well. This is the kind of thing that a coaching staff will try to change. The technique changes are not likely to be easy. This may be the first case in recent years where the McCarthy "pad level" issue is a matter of being too low....and that's not-;).

H

HardRightEdge

From a general interest standpoint, it looks like Brady is sitting for this game with Garoppolo the presumptive starter. He should get a lot of work in prep for his presumptive week 1 start.

He's a cocky guy who's been champing at the bit...it will be interesting to see if the Packer D can "deflate" that ego.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm surprised about Clements being on the sideline too. I thought that was one of the advantages of McCarthy passing the play calling duties to him. I expect McCarthy to continue to take the lead in narrowing down the play list for games, but I hope Clements is really in charge with occasional input from McCarthy. In spite of his title IMO Bennett should have little input on play calling once the game starts. I wonder what they think the advantage is of having Clements on the sideline? To look in Aaron's eyes to determine his mood? To sit with him and go over the all-22 pictures? If Clements needs a reading of how Aaron is feeling, certainly McCarthy or Bennett could provide that. And do they really need to be sitting next to other to go over the all-22s?

D

Deleted member 6794

Just be sure not to read too much into it, being only preseason.

Don't worry, I'm more than capable of putting preseason performance into the right perspective.

On the other side of the ball, there's Capers flying solo out of the booth.

Joe Whitt and some other members of the defensive coaching staff are sitting in the booth as well.

I wonder what they think the advantage is of having Clements on the sideline? To look in Aaron's eyes to determine his mood? To sit with him and go over the all-22 pictures? If Clements needs a reading of how Aaron is feeling, certainly McCarthy or Bennett could provide that.

If that's the reason for it then I hope they have improved their diagnosis skills since the Seattle game. It could be detrimental if they don't realize Rodgers is injured and send him back on the field.

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder what they think the advantage is of having Clements on the sideline? To look in Aaron's eyes to determine his mood?
That's probably not far off...face-to-face commiserations. Evidently it was the approach McCarthy found most comfortable. Perhaps he's just passing that along.

H

HardRightEdge

Joe Whitt and some other members of the defensive coaching staff are sitting in the booth as well.
That might be, but when I've seen shots of Capers sitting in the booth I haven't seen anybody sitting next him nor any conversation going on.

The Fantasy Greek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To see if any 2nd level or fringe player really distinguishes himself. There's always one or two that end up making the squad and have an impact.

Aaron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad Flynn got cut. Would have been interesting to see him. Not any huge position battles during this camp. But one thing I will be interested in is who steps up to be the inside linebacker when Matthews moves outside. That's one place that has my interest. And it'll be a good opportunity for those guys. Because they will get to play the majority of the game.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't worry, I'm more than capable of putting preseason performance into the right perspective.

You've actually said you don't care at all what a guy does in preseason or practice, so I'm just curious as to why you care about what our DBs do in preseason and practice. Seems to be some incongruity there.

D

Deleted member 6794

That might be, but when I've seen shots of Capers sitting in the booth I haven't seen anybody sitting next him nor any conversation going on.

I don't know if Whitt has been in the booth in past seasons. According to the Packers dope sheet he will be there for today's game.

You've actually said you don't care at all what a guy does in preseason or practice, so I'm just curious as to why you care about what our DBs do in preseason and practice. Seems to be some incongruity there.

I've never said that I don't care about what happens in camp or preseason games but told you to not put too much stock into preseason stats.

I want the defensive backs to not make any mental mistakes and play with poise and confidence. I don't care if one of them gets beat on some plays as the coaching staff still has some weeks left to get them ready for the opener.

LITP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought i'd swing by again seeing as it's Packers v Patriots (if only a preseason).

Lots of interesting stuff to watch for from a Patriots point of view:

1. Garopollo at QB comes with a reasonable level of positive hype - it will be interesting to see how he fares - he will also be 'protected' (I use that term loosely) by an O-line that is likely to have none of last years starters playing. A mixture of rooks and try-outs. Good job Jimmy is way more athletic than TB12.

2. Defensive backfield make-over. The 3 CB starters (nickel package) are all new this season - no Revis, no Browner, and no Arrington. Superbowl hero Malcolm Butler has been nothing short of outstanding in camp - but we all know that is a million miles away from even a preseason scrimmage.

3. Rookies on O-line - as mentioned above - the Patriots have invested quite heavily last few years in O-line depth - tonight we'll see what we have (or don't have).

4. Depth at Safety and TE - signed Chandler as FA from Bills on offseason - looking for some heavier two TE-sets and a focus on the running game.

5. No injuries. Seriously. No f'in injuries. Please.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With very basic plays and schemes typically seen in the preseason, not much can be taken from the outcome. I'll be looking at how individual guys do.

I'm most interested in how our first three picks perform and Hundley. Randall and Rollins may end up playing a big role for our defense this year. Montogomery has been a stud in camp and I hope it continues into a game. Hundley because we traded up for him and I always just have a personal interest in evaluating our back up QBs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a preference for sidelines or booth. Lots of good coaches have been on the sidelines and a lot of good ones have been in a booth. Go where they feel comfortable and let them do their job I say. pro's and con's to both positions on paper.

But i'm interested in seeing the play of our young linebackers, inside and outside. and particularly Mulumba and Palmer. I'll be watching the one on one matchups on the defensive line. I'd love to see Boyd or Pennel make a big step up this year. I am really excited to see montgomery, Randall and Rollins of course. and above everything, everyone stays healthy

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Regarding Clements on the sideline, here’s their rationale:
Tom Clements will work from the bench area rather than a skybox as coach Mike McCarthy's designated offensive play-caller. Previously in his career, Clements has called plays from both vantage points. "The biggest thing is you eliminate one layer of communication," Clements said. "Booth to field to quarterback. This way, you just go right from the field to the quarterback. You can get up to the line quicker and play faster." It also will give Clements the opportunity to converse with the quarterbacks between series. Van Pelt will serve as the principal offensive coach upstairs.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...struggling-in-camp-b99555431z1-321698201.html

If only technology had advanced enough so a coach in the booth could communicate directly with the QBs. Seriously, I hadn't even considered that.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If only technology had advanced enough so a coach in the booth could communicate directly with the QBs. Seriously, I hadn't even considered that.

I think it has, but isn't allowed by the NFL, for whatever reason. Only the head coach and on-field coordinators are allowed radio transmission with players. Maybe it's for monitoring reasons: All transmissions are over NFL approved frequencies, and are turned off by the NFL 15 sec before the play clock expires. The Patriots (http://nypost.com/2014/10/12/they-a...e-nfl-scandal-that-started-it-all/)reportedly were using unauthorized radio frequencies during the years they were taping opposing teams' signals. They would use a frequency not being authorized (so that it was not picked up), and would relay a defense to Brady inside the 15 second time frame when authorized frequencies are blocked by the NFL. Belichic apparently was doing this for years before spygate. If you believe anything from the NY Post.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it has, but isn't allowed by the NFL, for whatever reason. Only the head coach and on-field coordinators are allowed radio transmission with players.
I should have bracketed that remark with [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] instead of just putting it in italics since we can communicate with people on the other side of the planet. I'm fine with the NFL turning off the ability to communicate 15 seconds before the play clock expires but I can't think of a reason not to allow one coach in the booth the ability to communicate.

And I'm shocked! Shocked that anyone would accuse the Patriots of cheating!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wilde has a 5 things to watch in a column yesterday. Unfortunately in his injury report he notes youngsters Randall, Glover-Wright, Blue, Coxson, Kowalski, and Abbrederis are unlikely to play – along with some vets.

1. Test drive of Clements calling the plays.
2. Not much to see here. Starters will play little, if at all. Rodgers has an interesting comment about rooting for particular youngsters.
3. Wide open at TE. After Rodgers and Quarless, the #3 spot is wide open.
4. Young on the corner: An obvious point. Here’s a quote regarding Hayward:
…has shown so far in camp that he can handle playing outside, even though he’s been mostly a slot corner in sub packages during his first three seasons.
Just Wilde’s opinion but still… No mention of Randall maybe not playing in this section.
5. Backup plan: See how the backup OL fares. http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=21031&is_corp=1

In the past we’ve seen the OL look like a sieve after the starters leave the field. I am going to be looking to see how the backups do. Wilde also mentions a rookie OL to keep your eye on (and it may not be who you’re thinking). The article is worth the read so I won’t spoil the “surprise”. If Barclay is as expected and if Tretter justifies the confidence they had in him last TC, if one more youngster emerges this might not be just the best starting OL in years, it might be one of the deepest. Lots of "ifs" though...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did see that Randall was held out of practice, and the obvious response is that he wouldnt' play tonight. But I haven't heard that for certain yet and just a few blurbs i've seen or radio guys I've heard have specifically mentioned there is a chance he does play tonight, so we'll see I guess.

D

Deleted member 6794

In the past we’ve seen the OL look like a sieve after the starters leave the field. I am going to be looking to see how the backups do. Wilde also mentions a rookie OL to keep your eye on (and it may not be who you’re thinking). The article is worth the read so I won’t spoil the “surprise”. If Barclay is as expected and if Tretter justifies the confidence they had in him last TC, if one more youngster emerges this might not be just the best starting OL in years, it might be one of the deepest. Lots of "ifs" though...

The offensive lineman mentioned by Wilde in the article got some snaps at LG with the #1 unit this week when Sitton was rested. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that Wilde mentions him as a possible candidate to make the 53.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know if Whitt has been in the booth in past seasons. According to the Packers dope sheet he will be there for today's game.
I like that idea considering he's my odds on favorite to succeed Capers. Since it's the eve of preseason, I won't say when I'd like that to happen.

H

HardRightEdge

Injury report:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...w-england-patriots-b99555433z1-321672001.html

Packers:

WR Adrian Coxson (concussion), WR Javess Blue (shoulder), OL Vince Kowalski (concussion) and WR Jared Abbrederis (concussion) are not expected to play.

CB Damarious Randall (groin), CB Tay Glover-Wright (hamstring), S Sean Richardson (chest), CB Demetri Goodson (calf), LB Clay Matthews (knee), DE Mike Daniels (ankle), and DE Letroy Guion (hamstring) are questionable.

Patriots:

(injuries have not been specified except where noted) — DT Chris Jones, LB Dane Fletcher, WR Brandon LaFell (toe), G Ryan Wendell, LB Dont'a Hightower (shoulder), G Caylin Hauptmann and RB LaGarrette Blount (knee) aren't expected to play.

WR Brian Tyms (shoulder), WR Matthew Slater, OT Marcus Cannon, TE Scott Chandler (leg), RB Tyler Gaffney, DL Joe Vellano, C Bryan Stork, RB Travaris Cadet and LT Nate Solder are questionable.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless and Rodgers both seemed to get better as the season rolled on. Quarless is still rising up from the ashes with that gross knee. and as long as he keeps getting better , i will be happy. Rodgers should start. he is going to be
That's probably not far off...face-to-face commiserations. Evidently it was the approach McCarthy found most comfortable. Perhaps he's just passing that along.
the plays seem to be coming in and plays run quick.... when they wanted to.

Members online

Latest posts