1st preseason game

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, one of our young WRs got great separation and scored against the Patriots top CB, not to read too much into anything.

There's no doubt Janis made a great move and showed his speed to get wide open. He has to continue to make plays like that to get on the field in the regular season.

Wimm. I seen #97 holding the front, and getting off the blocks fairly well. He and Pennell both. looked good to me. :)

Ringo played a total of 10 uneventful snaps. Pennel did a good job, especially defending the run.

Hey Captain how did Raji play last night I wasn't paying attention to him? Thanks looking forward to your reply on Raji.

Raji seemed to get caught in the wash. I was hoping for more.

I'd like to hear Wimms input on Raji as well. I didnt watch very closely.

Raji only played a total of 11 snaps. As HRE already correctly pointed out he was double-teamed most of the time but aside of a single play didn't get blown off the ball. He didn't do anything worth mentioning either. It's way too early to make an educated guess about how he's gonna perform in the regular season.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, who says Gunter is slow? He was keeping up with that 4.3 speed WR from the Patriots. He out-muscled him on that INT he had too.

Gunter will make our roster unless he just falls flat. I wont be shocked if we see Gunter starting opposite Shields at some point this coming year. Gunter looked huge out there....big tall CB. He stood out.

I think we will see Rollins out there opposite Shields before Gunter.

H

HardRightEdge

Baktiari nearly got his QB killed. I've never been sold on the guy. He's mediocre at best. What other options are available?
I gave you an "agree", but I'll qualify it here with a different emphasis. An "average" NFL LT is not a bad thing considering there are 4 other skilled, veteran OL guys in the starting lineup.

Bakhtiari's sack numbers have been relatively low; his long yardage penalties have been relatively high...kind of a wash to average as a pass blocker. He's not good in run blocking, but I would not categorize him as "terrible". A lot of LTs are not that good in the run game; they are there to protect the blind side. In this respect, B. is average, give or take.

The enthusiasm for his play in some quarters derives mostly from a comparison to those who came immediately before him...which was not pretty.

In short, after Newhouse (the human turnstile) and Sherrod (we'll never know what might have been), Bakhtiari looks like a g*ddamn savior. We should be thankful for that.

As for last night's performance...eh. It's just the first preseason game. I would bet the tape review in the team room will be a wake-up call. I'm sure there are many veterans who have not honed their focus by preseason week 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You did ignore them in your last post.

The red zone offense hurt us once last year so it's not a recurring problem. Right now it's preseason and I will never understand why anyone ever gets concerned about things that happen in it (other than injuries). We can agree to disagree.
I think my first post concerning this said the sky isn't falling, but it was disappointing. you're honestly telling me that after the complete failure of our offense to score TD's and losing that game and to see them drive down and have 4 consecutive plays from inside the 5 and fail on every one only to follow it up with another drive right down the field to have 3 more plays inside the 8 and fail on everyone left you feeling "good" about their performance? Seriously, I expect even a mediocre offense with 7 plays inside the 10 to score on at least one preseason or not

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyway, I'm not a big stats guy, I prefer to take in a game and walk away with the feeling I got from watching it. But I did stumble upon these "stats" since they seem to matter more to some than others. These stats paint a slightly different picture than being 10th in redzone efficiency.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1574217-for-packers-production-with-an-asterisk

Last season, Green Bay finished 10th in red-zone efficiency with touchdowns on 57.8 percent of their trips upon reaching their opponents’ 20-yard line. However, starting with the Nov. 30 victory over New England, Green Bay was just 9-of-20 for 45 percent in its final five regular-season games. When getting a first-and-goal, the Packers finished only 19th with a touchdown rate of 67.6 percent. That doesn’t include the killer 0-for-2 in the NFC Championship Game.

Include the 0-2 and we're 9-22, toss in 7 plays from inside the 8 last night and we're looking like a redzone machine :)

H

HardRightEdge

I think we will see Rollins out there opposite Shields before Gunter.
From what we've seen so far, I think that's a fair bet. Regardless, I like that both are physical. We have not seen Randall get out of the whirlpool and into the competition quite yet.

In any event, we need to see all these guys play against something other than a very week New England wide out group that was on the field yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

anyway, I'm not a big stats guy, I prefer to take in a game and walk away with the feeling I got from watching it. But I did stumble upon these "stats" since they seem to matter more to some than others. These stats paint a slightly different picture than being 10th in redzone efficiency.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1574217-for-packers-production-with-an-asterisk

Include the 0-2 and we're 9-22, toss in 7 plays from inside the 8 last night and we're looking like a redzone machine :)
Lacy dropped a TD pass...a preseason week 1 focus issue. Adams didn't so much drop the ball as he exhibited poor field awareness, running himself into a box, behind the defender and against the sidelines, and stopped. If he was expecting the ball at all, it would have been for a high throw in the corner. Rodgers being Rodgers threw to the only place he could catch it...inside to the off shoulder. Not many guys make a catch when they are that discombobulated. It's more an experience/field awareness issue than a hands issue.

R-E-L-A-X, it's only preseason week 1.

That said, the Packers have had difficulties springing guys open in the short field in recent years compared to the previous ones. Say what you want about Jennings, he had a knack inside the 10. And say what you want about Finley, he drew attention.

Perhaps the route combos down there have become a little stale and predictable...some adjustments are probably in order.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
e.

R-E-L-A-X, it's only preseason week 1.

That said, the Packers have had difficulties springing guys open in the short field in recent years compared to the previous ones. Say what you want about Jennings, he had a knack inside the 10. And say what you want about Finley, he drew attention.

Perhaps the route combos down there have become a little stale and predictable...some adjustments are probably in order.

I think the short field problems are mostly because of our TE's. A big body TE should be able to make things happen near or in the endzone.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the short field problems are mostly because of our TE's. A big body TE should be able to make things happen near or in the endzone.

A tight end like Finley would for sure help. The Packers have lost Jennings and Jones as red-zone targets over the last few years as well.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Rodgers will just have turned 35 years old at the point Hundley will become a free agent. #12 told Peter King last week that he plans to play another eight years so there´s no reason to believe Hundley will ever become the Packers starting QB.

He plans to be playing the season he goes from 39 to 40? :unsure: Wow. More power to him. I guess this will be a great opportunity for Hundley to develop into the Vikings next great QB. :roflmao:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right that the Packers were better than I thought in the red zone last year although being at the bottom of the top 10 (according to the numbers I found) isn't perfect for the highest scoring offense in the league.

The offense had exclusively starters on the field for the seven plays in the first quarter I was referring to. The coaching staff doesn't need to hold back anything to evaluate any of them.

According to Rodgers, the offense is held back from what they do in the regular season.

"Well, it's a short playbook," quarterback Aaron Rodgers said after the Packers' 22-11 road victory. "It's the first preseason game. I think for us at this point in our progression of the offense, it's about kind of getting in shape with the no-huddle, and we moved the ball pretty well. We got stalled in the red zone, but we were in one personnel group the entire time with limited substitutions."

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...r-packers-red-zone-issues-in-preseason-opener

Members online

Latest posts