1st preseason game

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Wasn't a bad game. Wasn't the epic showdown of last year either. Kind of love how ummmmmm different the endings of pre-season games end, when I actually care to watch them. Lot more sacks and sloppy players. Glad there didn't seem to be any major injuries.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baktiari nearly got his QB killed. I've never been sold on the guy. He's mediocre at best. What other options are available?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LT is a very tough spot to fill. Bahktiari shown he can play the position at a high level, early in his career. He will only get better IMO. I seen the look in his eye a play or two after the 2nd sack where Rodgers got hit good. Bahk looked pissed... I think he worked out the cob webs.

Raji didnt blow guys up, but then again he didnt have Daniels, Guion, on the sides or Mathews behind... that makes a big difference... Raji is going to start having fun again with help like that around him...thats the theory at least. Im optimistic.

Ringo and Pennell look like definate keepers. Elliot was impressive. glad to see Hubbard back out there after he got hurt. he looked solid as well. Gunter is worth the 53rd spot most likely. rollins needs to start catching those pass deflections. Im super stoked about him though. Wish Randall was able to do the same, but im sure his time will come soon.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
harris or Neal? Harris looked good tonight. Besides the longer TD run. He had a play where he got stuffed, and had to stop. He had a great burst to get a few yards. But a burst like that on a big frame like his.... Neal looked lack luster. he better step it up because i already want to see more harris...

Also McCarthy get an A+ for the day. i hope going for it on 4th, and the 2pt conversion is a sign of whats coming. Ideally we will up our average along the way :) any given day, I like our chances to get 2 yards. just need some mojo in those plays.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never said that I don't care about what happens in camp or preseason games but told you to not put too much stock into preseason stats.

In reference to another player, you said, "I don't care what he did during practice or preseason..."

That's a direct quote.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also McCarthy get an A+ for the day. i hope going for it on 4th, and the 2pt conversion is a sign of whats coming.

In all likelihood, all the two point conversions are in direct relation to the fact the preseason "games" are nothing more than practice. It's no different than any other preseason. That said, my gut is telling me that this one year experimental rule change with long extra point kicks will prove to be a bad idea by mid-season.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I liked what young Hundley did last night. I think he has some really good potential as an NFL QB. I hope the Packers can hang on to him. In a few years he might be gold for them when Aaron starts slowing down.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was impressed with Gunter and Rollins. Hundley made some nice throws too and Janis and White looked good.

D

Deleted member 6794

Quarless is still rising up from the ashes with that gross knee.

Quarless´ knee injury happened nearly four years ago, if he doesn´t feel comfortable with it by now he never will.

Glad there didn't seem to be any major injuries.

The only Packers suffering injuries during yesterday´s game were Justin Perillo (concussion) and Kyle Sebetic (ankle sprain).

Baktiari nearly got his QB killed. I've never been sold on the guy. He's mediocre at best. What other options are available?

The most likely backup plan at LT would be to move Bulaga to the left side with one of the backups taking over at RT. Bakhtiari was terribly beaten on two plays but he will be the starter once the season opens if he stays healthy. I´m more worried about the way Barclay played as he´s the only experienced backup at both tackle spots.

Ringo and Pennell look like definate keepers. rollins needs to start catching those pass deflections. Im super stoked about him though.

I didn´t see Ringo doing anything worth mentioning. Rollins did a nice job in coverage, the two balls he got his hands on were tough to catch.

Also McCarthy get an A+ for the day. i hope going for it on 4th, and the 2pt conversion is a sign of whats coming.

The Packers went for it on fourth down several times because it was a preseason game. I want them to finally run the ball on a two-point conversion at least once.

In reference to another player, you said, "I don't care what he did during practice or preseason..."

That's a direct quote.

Great job taking a quote completely out of context.

I liked what young Hundley did last night. I think he has some really good potential as an NFL QB. I hope the Packers can hang on to him. In a few years he might be gold for them when Aaron starts slowing down.

Rodgers will just have turned 35 years old at the point Hundley will become a free agent. #12 told Peter King last week that he plans to play another eight years so there´s no reason to believe Hundley will ever become the Packers starting QB.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, who says Gunter is slow? He was keeping up with that 4.3 speed WR from the Patriots. He out-muscled him on that INT he had too.

Gunter will make our roster unless he just falls flat. I wont be shocked if we see Gunter starting opposite Shields at some point this coming year. Gunter looked huge out there....big tall CB. He stood out.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here are some other things from yesterday´s game which haven´t been mentioned in this thread:

The first-team offense failed to score a TD on seven regular plays inside the 10-yard line, which has been a problem in the past and would go a long way in winning close games. Tolzien, while having a good game overall, had two terrible plays when he tried to flip a ball to a receiver and had one of his passes deflected at the LOS. Both could have easily been interecepted and returned for a score. Aaron Ripkowski had two nice plays on the kickoff return coverage once making the tackle himself, on another occassion assisting Fanor. Kuhn once again showed his importance to the offense with a nice block on Harris´ TD run. The pass rush was very effective against the Patriots second- or third-stringers. In addition I liked the tackles for loss by Ryan, Elliot and Pennel as well as the open-field tackle by Vaughters and Thomas to stop James White. On the other hand the stage looked to big for Sebetic who constantly gave too much separation to receivers. Montgomery has to be aware of where he is on the field and has to get both feet in-bounds on Hundley´s throw. Pinkard twice got good separation on deep routes, hauling in a 31-yard pass and being overthrown by Hundley on the other.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wilde has a 5 things to watch in a column yesterday. Unfortunately in his injury report he notes youngsters Randall, Glover-Wright, Blue, Coxson, Kowalski, and Abbrederis are unlikely to play – along with some vets.

1. Test drive of Clements calling the plays.
2. Not much to see here. Starters will play little, if at all. Rodgers has an interesting comment about rooting for particular youngsters.
3. Wide open at TE. After Rodgers and Quarless, the #3 spot is wide open.
4. Young on the corner: An obvious point. Here’s a quote regarding Hayward:
Just Wilde’s opinion but still… No mention of Randall maybe not playing in this section.
5. Backup plan: See how the backup OL fares. http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=21031&is_corp=1

In the past we’ve seen the OL look like a sieve after the starters leave the field. I am going to be looking to see how the backups do. Wilde also mentions a rookie OL to keep your eye on (and it may not be who you’re thinking). The article is worth the read so I won’t spoil the “surprise”. If Barclay is as expected and if Tretter justifies the confidence they had in him last TC, if one more youngster emerges this might not be just the best starting OL in years, it might be one of the deepest. Lots of "ifs" though...
Interesting insight. Good to hear that we have some unknown up and comers developing well. Anyone seen a recent update on the 1 on 1 linemen battles in practice?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No reason to be concerned about the red zone issues since "calling plays in the preseason opener was more about creating opportunities for evaluation of talent than out-scheming the opponent." From Packers.com

The Packers would rather try out a play to see if works or to evaluate a specific players than score TDs. MM even said, “We want to score more touchdowns, but I’m more focused on the opportunities. Those were very valuable reps.”

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...4a6-0069-4004-aec1-a28cb34e026d#ixzz3inG97wTV

D

Deleted member 6794

No reason to be concerned about the red zone issues since "calling plays in the preseason opener was more about creating opportunities for evaluation of talent than out-scheming the opponent." From Packers.com

The Packers would rather try out a play to see if works or to evaluate a specific players than score TDs. MM even said, “We want to score more touchdowns, but I’m more focused on the opportunities. Those were very valuable reps.”

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...4a6-0069-4004-aec1-a28cb34e026d#ixzz3inG97wTV

Well, I wouldn't be worried if these issues would be a onetime occurrence. There's a clear pattern with the first-team offense though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't be worried if these issues would be a onetime occurrence. There's a clear pattern with the first-team offense though.

I can think of 2 games last year it happened, against good defenses by the way.

We were 11th in TD percentage so overall not bad.

You're also ignoring my points above about it's preseason and the Packers would literally rather evaluate players than score TDs.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a good idea to move on from him due to one bad preseason game.
Wouldn't move on from a guy after one preseason game, but that was pretty inexcusable. Gave up two sacks, at least one to a rookie, in the first quarter. LT is a position that we can't really afford to have a guy shaking the dust off, at least not when #12 is back there.

fritothedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also McCarthy get an A+ for the day. i hope going for it on 4th, and the 2pt conversion is a sign of whats coming. Ideally we will up our average along the way :) any given day, I like our chances to get 2 yards. just need some mojo in those plays.

In all likelihood, all the two point conversions are in direct relation to the fact the preseason "games" are nothing more than practice. It's no different than any other preseason. That said, my gut is telling me that this one year experimental rule change with long extra point kicks will prove to be a bad idea by mid-season.

McCarthy admitted in the post game press conference that the more aggressive nature (in regards specifically to the going for two and going for it on 4th down) was to get good "in-game experience" and then added that it was pre-season. I am doubtful it will carry over into the regular season

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are some other things from yesterday´s game which haven´t been mentioned in this thread:

The first-team offense failed to score a TD on seven regular plays inside the 10-yard line, which has been a problem in the past and would go a long way in winning close games. Tolzien, while having a good game overall, had two terrible plays when he tried to flip a ball to a receiver and had one of his passes deflected at the LOS. Both could have easily been interecepted and returned for a score. Aaron Ripkowski had two nice plays on the kickoff return coverage once making the tackle himself, on another occassion assisting Fanor. Kuhn once again showed his importance to the offense with a nice block on Harris´ TD run. The pass rush was very effective against the Patriots second- or third-stringers. In addition I liked the tackles for loss by Ryan, Elliot and Pennel as well as the open-field tackle by Vaughters and Thomas to stop James White. On the other hand the stage looked to big for Sebetic who constantly gave too much separation to receivers. Montgomery has to be aware of where he is on the field and has to get both feet in-bounds on Hundley´s throw. Pinkard twice got good separation on deep routes, hauling in a 31-yard pass and being overthrown by Hundley on the other.

Couple other notes: this defense could be stellar with Matthews back on the field. Also, one of our young WRs got great separation and scored against the Patriots top CB, not to read too much into anything.

Last edited:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was impressed with Gunter and Rollins. Hundley made some nice throws too and Janis and White looked good.

Ya, I don't want to toot my own horn, but as soon as we drafted Rollins I was pumped. I thought he could have been a first rounder. He has really good hips and instinct.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it's not a sign of what's coming because they sucked at all of it. conversion rate was abysmal,
Exactly, these were great opportunities for evaluation and situational coaching opportunities, but these weren't first year players, they are our starters and I'd like to see them perform better, even in preseason. The exact reason we lost the last game of the year last year was on display again our first preseason game. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement. They couldn't pass it in, they couldn't run it in and they couldn't convert on 4th down despite multiple opportunities.

I know it's preseason and I'm not going to overreact or think the sky is falling, but it was certainly disappointing and I don't think it can be just shrugged off as , "it was only the preseason" either.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wimm. I seen #97 holding the front, and getting off the blocks fairly well. He and Pennell both. looked good to me. :)

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be paying close attention to the defensive side of the ball. I´m especially interested in Raji´s play, who will get the snaps with the first team defense at inside linebacker once Matthews moves outside and the performance of the cornerbacks.
Hey Captain how did Raji play last night I wasn't paying attention to him? I was very impressed with the play of Rollins. I counted three passes defended, two could have been picks. It was amazing to me how quickly he can judge where the ball is going when he turns his head, and he seemed to stay very close to the receiver.

I only had access to the NFL Network here, and the commentators were just focusing on NE players. They talked about how badly Boyce was playing without crediting Rollins' coverage.

I like what I saw from Hundley, but still stand by an opinion I think you share that he wasn't worth trading up for. Tolzien has grown.

All in all it looked like a very good performance. My only major gripe is that Dix still seems to be missing tackles. Not a big deal but he needs to improve there. And Bakhtiari didn't seem to play well. I don't know if he was responsible for that Trey Flowers sack, but that was scary as he was right on top of Rodgers. Thanks looking forward to your reply on Raji.

Members online

Latest posts