Would you want Cole Beasley in GB?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see Tate being a vintage free agent signing where we're paying for a name and then they fall apart as soon as they put on the Green & Gold (Marty B / Jimmy Graham)

No thanks.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was 7th in the league in YAC last year, so it's a stretch to say the latter.

Ya, Beasley can make some plays. Potential (relatively) low-cost signing with upside. He scored two touchdowns against us in 2017... should have had a bigger role with the state of the Dallas WR's this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ya, Beasley can make some plays. Potential (relatively) low-cost signing with upside. He scored two touchdowns against us in 2017... should have had a bigger role with the state of the Dallas WR's this year.

I was referring to Cobb with that stat.

Beasley's YAC per reception was pretty awful last year

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The skill set that the Packers lack in the receiving corps is yards after the catch ability. They need a player who can win in the short game and make plays with the ball in their hands.

In 2018, Randall Cobb averaged 6.5 YAC per reception, which was actually 7th among all WR's.

Cole Beasley managed 3.4 YAC per reception, which is too far down the list for me to actually figure out his ranking.

Jamison Crowder was 4th in this category among wideouts at 7.6 YAC per reception. He would be an ideal FA target. Adam Humphries wouldn't be a bad, younger option either (5.7 YAC per reception) as a consolation prize.

Albert Wilson of the Dolphins averaged an absurd 12.9 YAC per reception on 35 catches last year. He is entering the 2nd year of a three year deal with the Dolphins (3/24). With the regime change, if they would accept, say, a 5th round pick for him, I would take that trade all day.
How often do you see receivers catch the ball and have space to run? Rodgers is usually throwing into tight windows and there isn't a lot of wiggle room for them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How often do you see receivers catch the ball and have space to run? Rodgers is usually throwing into tight windows and there isn't a lot of wiggle room for them.

Not nearly often enough. The hope and plan is for that to change under Petals.

However, there isn't anyone in the receiving corps with the skill set other than Adams really, and even in his case it's not his forte.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually like the player. 74% catch percentage with Dak at QB is excellent. He dominated AJ Bouye in their matchup, which is no easy feat. He'd be a good chain mover, he's good at separating in the 5-10 yard range. Maybe he could be our Wes Welker...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The skill set that the Packers lack in the receiving corps is yards after the catch ability. They need a player who can win in the short game and make plays with the ball in their hands.

You don't say? Hmmmmmm, there is a guy I was thinking of but can't remember his name.

Oh well.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was referring to Cobb with that stat.

Beasley's YAC per reception was pretty awful last year

Oh fair enough. I wonder what Cobbs yac would be taking out his long td against the Bears. Probably brings him back down to Earth. In that one game he got about 40% of his whole season yardage.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You don't say? Hmmmmmm, there is a guy I was thinking of but can't remember his name.

Oh well.

I haven't watched Parris Campbell play.

I would prefer a veteran as the WR corps is already heavy on youth.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noticed Kumerow is more of a body catcher of the football rather than a hands catcher. That's what may have been holding him back in his professional career. He does get open though.
I was thinking he would be our next Jordy Nelson. He's a very good route runner, and can get open.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh fair enough. I wonder what Cobbs yac would be taking out his long td against the Bears. Probably brings him back down to Earth. In that one game he got about 40% of his whole season yardage.

That's a fair point, but Cobb and Beasley's YAC per reception in 2017 was actually identical (6.7 and 3.4 respectively), so it doesn't look like this is an isolated thing.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say it again. Dallas did not use Beasley correctly for a real slot receiver and Prescott is probably not capable of making the pin point throws necessary like Arod could. imho

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have no problem with Beasley. People fawn over Ron Wolf and his prowess with free agents. Wolf brought in Andre "Bad Moon" Rison in November of our Super Bowl '96 season (https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1996-11-24-1996329162-story.html). Yes we had lots of injuries, but the description of the "cure being worse than the illness" is similar.

We like to think that the Packers are this pure team that only brings in perfect citizens. We don't need wife-beaters on the roster, but we can assess players and give them a chance to refocus. Everyone seems to love how Belichik brings in malcontents and turns them into unlikely heroes. When the opportunities come the Packers way, lots of folks step onto their soapboxes. Koren Robinson played pretty well for us despite his drinking/legal problems. Johnny Jolly was a good success story after all of his purple drank.

If Gute thought that Beasley could help and that his personality would fit with the team persona, go for it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cant we just have a FA thread to discuss players rather then have q new thread pop up over ever single player individually?

Not sure how Management wants it, but I kind of like individual threads to discuss individual players or individual topics, just seems more neat and orderly to me :). While some will pitter out or expand to other topics, if things do become more relevant on that said player, you have the thread.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see Tate being a vintage free agent signing where we're paying for a name and then they fall apart as soon as they put on the Green & Gold (Marty B / Jimmy Graham)

No thanks.

I can see that being more likely to happen by resigning Cobb.

OP
OP
Cheese Headed Monster
Reaction score
Not sure how Management wants it, but I kind of like individual threads to discuss individual players or individual topics, just seems more neat and orderly to me :). While some will pitter out or expand to other topics, if things do become more relevant on that said player, you have the thread.

I agree. If I had posted this in the same thread as the Antonio Brown topic, it would likely not have even been seen. Its separate cause I wanna know peoples opinion on Beasley only. This way I dont have to filter through the entire Antonio Brown thread to find opinions on other FAs

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. If I had posted this in the same thread as the Antonio Brown topic, it would likely not have even been seen. Its separate cause I wanna know peoples opinion on Beasley only. This way I dont have to filter through the entire Antonio Brown thread to find opinions on other FAs

Well for one a FA thread wouldn't just be about AB. For second it would clean up the board and have everything in a concise place which could then spark a debate on which would be better value between two players versus jumping from thread to thread.

Having 20 threads versus one does nothing but clutter up the board and actually stifles debate on which players should be gone after imo and quite honestly is just unbelievable annoying to have to go through so many threads rather then scrolling though a single one

Otherwise let's have 30 individual threads prop up over every potential draft prospect.... That should be fun

OP
OP
Cheese Headed Monster
Reaction score
Well for one a FA thread wouldn't just be about AB. For second it would clean up the board and have everything in a concise place which could then spark a debate on which would be better value between two players versus jumping from thread to thread.

Having 20 threads versus one does nothing but clutter up the board and actually stifles debate on which players should be gone after imo and quite honestly is just unbelievable annoying to have to go through so many threads rather then scrolling though a single one

Otherwise let's have 30 individual threads prop up over every potential draft prospect.... That should be fun

To each their own! You can leave this thread if it upsets you so much

Members online

Latest posts