Would you want Cole Beasley in GB?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Are there examples of receivers that Rodgers didn't want to work with other than Jeff Janis?

Maybe there are guys that aren't coming to mind, but my sense is that this is something of a bogus narrative based on years of JJ angst.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no contradiction! Favre threw to anyone open. Rodgers seldom does that.
you misinterpreted what i said about Favre "sometimes throwing to guys who weren't open lol." it was a joke about his interception record.
I misread that and admit fault on that. I apologize.

Reaction score
I would say that if you have a good enough O line and can stand back there like Brady w/o having to have the jitters; receivers can look for the open areas and don't necessarily need to be in their appointed places. There needs to be some flexibility in route running. imho It is not just a matter of being on the same page. It is sometimes more important just to be open.
That’s exactly what happened this last year. That’s difference between the veteran Jordy Nelson types and a first year Rook. They know how to finish plays unconventionally but finish nonetheless. We rarely finished plays at WR this year. Most of the new guys were just trying to learn the playbook and not jump early etc.. Nobody wants to look stupid. We looked like we were trying not to make mistakes instead of playing ball. That sentiment is contagious and got Rodgers in the same mode, he was afraid to make a mistake and that’s not his MO.
It’s the difference between the measurables vs the instincts. I’ll take a guy with instincts every time over a 40” vertical

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no contradiction! Favre threw to anyone open. Rodgers seldom does that.
you misinterpreted what i said about Favre "sometimes throwing to guys who weren't open lol." it was a joke about his interception record.
Are you referencing the all time leader in INTs? You think that's some sort of coincidence? Favre was a gunslinger, he took far too many risks and it backfired often. Rodgers is smarter, and has worked with mediocre to awful defenses his entire career. He's not going to put the defense and team in tough situations just because he thought he saw someone open and wanted to risk an INT. He will only consistently throw to someone who understands their job.

Besides, we've seen guys like Allison, Janis, MVS, etc, produce in this offense when called upon. As much or moreso than they would have on any other team. He's not avoiding them at all.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you referencing the all time leader in INTs? You think that's some sort of coincidence? Favre was a gunslinger, he took far too many risks and it backfired often. Rodgers is smarter, and has worked with mediocre to awful defenses his entire career. He's not going to put the defense and team in tough situations just because he thought he saw someone open and wanted to risk an INT. He will only consistently throw to someone who understands their job.

Besides, we've seen guys like Allison, Janis, MVS, etc, produce in this offense when called upon. As much or moreso than they would have on any other team.
agree on Favre's style but the point was his willingness to throw to anyone on the team. they also ran a different O than Rodgers has been. the O was more structured, guys ran their routes. when they tweaked it for Rodgers and made it more read-and-react it worked as long as jordy, jones, and jennings were out there. when young guys were out there not so much. that's where the "same page" bs of late came from. remember before last season they were going to make the O simpler (structured)? Rodgers didn't like that and went into school yard mode designing plays in the huddle. hopefully MLF can show Rodgers a more structured O will work if he'll stop ignoring open guys and actually throw it to them.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agree on Favre's style but the point was his willingness to throw to anyone on the team. they also ran a different O than Rodgers has been. the O was more structured, guys ran their routes. when they tweaked it for Rodgers and made it more read-and-react it worked as long as jordy, jones, and jennings were out there. when young guys were out there not so much. that's where the "same page" bs of late came from. remember before last season they were going to make the O simpler (structured)? Rodgers didn't like that and went into school yard mode designing plays in the huddle. hopefully MLF can show Rodgers a more structured O will work if he'll stop ignoring open guys and actually throw it to them.
That's the entire NFL, not just an offense with Rodgers. When has Favre been able to efficiently air it out when his #2-4 receivers have been late round rookies?

McCarthy didn't alter his offense for Rodgers. He's not adaptable or capable enough to do so. That's what every former receiver has attested to. They just implemented a scramble element, which goes to show you how little faith the coach had in his own offense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While we disagree on Beasley, we definitely agree on Cook. TT let him walk for like $3m, and he’s produced on an AWFUL Raider team. If he has gas in the tank, bring him back and save $9 mil in cap space on Graham. And hey, I wanted to love Graham, but the game has passed him by, and he’s way too expensive.

Yea I was high on Graham, but the guy doesn’t get much separation and he runs two routes. How can Gronkowski can be so dominant when the guy plays on two bad knees, a bad back, and a bad elbow while we barely got anything out of Graham speaks volumes. Funny thing is Gronk also runs two routes but this dude is always open.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yea I was high on Graham, but the guy doesn’t get much separation and he runs two routes. How can Gronkowski can be so dominant when the guy plays on two bad knees, a bad back, and a bad elbow while we barely got anything out of Graham speaks volumes. Funny thing is Gronk also runs two routes but this dude is always open.

I'm not trying to say Graham is a better option than Gronk, but surprisingly,their stats weren't that much different last year. If I was a Patriot fan, I might view Gronk a bit like Randall Cobb, a valuable guy when healthy, but hurt too often.

I'm still optimistic that with one year under his belt with Rodgers, Graham will be a bigger threat in 2019.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to say Graham is a better option than Gronk, but surprisingly,their stats weren't that much different last year. If I was a Patriot fan, I might view Gronk a bit like Randall Cobb, a valuable guy when healthy, but hurt too often.

I'm still optimistic that with one year under his belt with Rodgers, Graham will be a bigger threat in 2019.

Thing with that argument is even with his injury history Gronk will still go down as one of the greatest Tightends of all time....while Cobb will never be mentioned as one of the greatest of all time in anything.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Graham would be fine if we had a Brandin Cooks type guy to go with him.

Instead, we have Cobb who can't stay healthy and when he is doesn't compare even close to Cooks.

That's the problem with the equation

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the entire NFL, not just an offense with Rodgers. When has Favre been able to efficiently air it out when his #2-4 receivers have been late round rookies?

McCarthy didn't alter his offense for Rodgers. He's not adaptable or capable enough to do so. That's what every former receiver has attested to. They just implemented a scramble element, which goes to show you how little faith the coach had in his own offense.
you can't say MM's O didn't significantly change between late-Favre/early-Rodgers to late-Rodgers. that's silly. and it was more than just a scramble drill.
hopefully (there's that word again), the new changes are successful.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thing with that argument is even with his injury history Gronk will still go down as one of the greatest Tightends of all time....while Cobb will never be mentioned as one of the greatest of all time in anything.

Agreed and I wasn't intending whatsoever to make it sound like Cobb is a better WR than Gronk is a TE. I was only saying, that both are injured frequently and because of that, both fan bases have to be a bit frustrated with not having them out there every game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and I wasn't intending whatsoever to make it sound like Cobb is a better WR than Gronk is a TE. I was only saying, that both are injured frequently and because of that, both fan bases have to be a bit frustrated with not having them out there every game.

I agree. Unfortunately injuries derail the Packers even year while the Patsies are playing in another SB smh.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. Unfortunately injuries derail the Packers even year while the Patsies are playing in another SB smh.
Might be one of the biggest difference between the two teams (besides BB and coaching), Packers too often don't seem to have the depth to prevent a noticeable drop off in play, when a key starter or two go down.

Reaction score

While each years team obviously carries its own identity and doesn’t work the same, one thing we can learn from is what’s been successful at in the past. Holmgrens team was constantly bringing in veteran talent at WR. I see Jimmy Graham as the Keith Jackson move today. Mark Chmura was in his 5th season with GB in 96’ so he was an established veteran. Today he is similar to our Lance Kendricks who similarly is a veteran and has 2 accrued seasons with GB.
While I like the idea of getting a TE for the future I don’t necessarily think it has to be this year. I’d like to do that next year (unless prevailing circumstances warrant a move) and rely on Graham and have Kendricks and Tonyan get a slightly increased role.

That said. As far as WR, if there was a year to grab a veteran this would be it. I’m not saying necessarily Beasley (Dallas) but the one thing he has in common with Beebe (Bills) is he’s an experienced WR that has been part of a successful program and that experience and confidence doesn’t have to be learned with on the job training. The 1996 Packers also brought aboard another solid veteran in Andre Rison. While he was a stop gap and only played a partial season, he was a key component by instantly bringing in a swagger that only been seen in one Robert Brooks at WR.

I guess what I’m saying is bringing in a proven Vet would be smart right now. I’m not so sure my choice is necessarily Beasley, but the general idea is intriguing. It would allow these talented young WRs we have to learn under the tutelage of a bonafied target. It gives them a chance to compete with Geronimo for spots #3-#5. There is nothing that will make a player compete harder than trying to keep his job and nothing that will motivate him to do better than watching how it’s supposed to be done and witnessing the accommodations that accompany their success.

IMO, The 4 most critical positions to firm up in the short term are OLB, Safety, OG, WR. It’d be wise to hit 2-3 of these through FA.
TE, OT, RB, ILB, DT are mid term goals IMO.
What I like about a WR veteran is I would feel entirely comfortable skipping WR in the draft if we grab a bonafide #2 That would allow us to put all our energy in OL and Defense.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I like about a WR veteran is I would feel entirely comfortable skipping WR in the draft if we grab a bonafide #2 That would allow us to put all our energy in OL and Defense.

This sums up my feelings as well. The Packers just invested 3 picks to the WR position in last years draft, albeit late picks, still picks. 2 of those showed some promise and I haven't given up on Moore either. If Rodgers can remain healthy, all you need to do is replace Cobb and I think that is better accomplished via a vet, even on a one year deal. That gives MVS, EQ, Moore, Allison and even Kumerow more time to develop, without having to be the second best WR option on the team.