Would you want Cole Beasley in GB?

OP
OP
Cheese Headed Monster
Reaction score
Looking back 2 years and all things stay the same, yes, the Packers would have been much better off resigning Cook at $5.3M/year in 2017. I will go one step further, not only should they have resigned him at that price, but they should have given him a 4 year deal at that price. ;)

All that said, I think I remember Cook's agent was seeking $7M/year at the time and the Packers said "No" and signed Bennett, who most thought was a better option at the time.

Stings just talking about it

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Despite the difference in YAC, their YPC are very similar. Meaning that Beasley is actually getting open, while Cobb is a glorified RB. He's getting barely over 2 air yards per catch. What good is that?

Cobb can't control his depth of target.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jared Cook had a bit of a problem staying healthy with the Pack in 2016, did he not?

But yeah, letting him go (and signing Bennett) has to be one of the biggest bonehead blunders of the era.

And Jimmy Graham doesn't seem to be much better.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Stings just talking about it

Jared Cook had a bit of a problem staying healthy with the Pack in 2016, did he not?

But yeah, letting him go (and signing Bennett) has to be one of the biggest bonehead blunders of the era.

And Jimmy Graham doesn't seem to be much better.

Would have, should have, could have.

While I agree with both of you and the way it has played out sucks. If the Packers were the only team that owned a crystal ball, they would win the Super Bowl every year.

At the time, many of us wanted to see Cook resigned, but when the Packers landed Bennett, it looked like an upgrade.

The Packers could chase their tail and go after Cook in Free Agency this year, if he makes it there. But would that be doubling (tripling) down on what appears to be some bad decisions with the TE position?

OP
OP
Cheese Headed Monster
Reaction score

While I agree with both of you and the way it has played out sucks. If the Packers were the only team that owned a crystal ball, they would win the Super Bowl every year.

At the time, many of us wanted to see Cook resigned, but when the Packers landed Bennett, it looked like an upgrade.

The Packers could chase their tail and go after Cook in Free Agency this year, if he makes it there. But would that be doubling (tripling) down on what appears to be some bad decisions with the TE position?

At this point I would rather just deal with Graham and maybe in the future get lucky on a late draft. I just want someone who can create separation early. Dont care who or what position. Just get open please. Is that too much to ask?

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Would have (Jared Cook), should have (Martellus Bennett), could have (Jimmy Graham).

Wouldn't think you'd need a crystal ball to figure this out, even without the benefit of hindsight.

There again, Cole Beasley (back OT) might be the best slot receiver the Packers ever had, for all I know.

There's just something about the thick eyeglasses and blue polka-dot dress........I don't know. :whistling:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre would throw to guys who's names he didn't even know. he didn't care as long as they were open...many times even when they weren't open lol. he didn't have to "trust" them.
And more times than not he threw as many ints as he did completions though. Favre was a great QB, but I believe Rodgers is a better decision maker. And trust is important. I hope you're not implying that it isn't.

OP
OP
Cheese Headed Monster
Reaction score
Favre would throw to guys who's names he didn't even know. he didn't care as long as they were open...many times even when they weren't open lol. he didn't have to "trust" them.

Yeah that irks me a bit too.

But maybe thats just a vibe thing. When you say you need to build trust it comes off as "Im better than you and I know it and you have to work to be worthy of me throwing the ball to you."

I think that is what some people hear when Rodgers brings up building trust. Now that is imo an extreme point of view. Its not literally that way, but that is how it can sometimes come off.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And more times than not he threw as many ints as he did completions though. Favre was a great QB, but I believe Rodgers is a better decision maker. And trust is important. I hope you're not implying that it isn't.
it's highly over-rated. open is open. the WR's the coaches put out there must to do their jobs...Rodgers has to do his.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey CHM, I’m joining this discussion late so rather than go to page 5, I want to address your very straightforward question. Yes. I think Cole Beasley is exactly the kind of veteran WR the Pack would love. He won’t outshine Adams, but will add veteran savvy to help promising guys like MVS and ESB take the second year jump. I don’t watch Beasley a lot, but he seems to be an accomplished route runner, similar to Edelman in NE. In short, I’d take him in a heartbeat. The Pack has been mentioned as a landing spot for Antonio Brown. No thanks. Too much money, too much ego, and a player who seems to be in it for him self. That doesn’t diminish his accomplishments or physical traits, he’s off the charts. It would just be a bad move. But I would love to see Beasley in G&G, and I think he can return kicks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. And couldn't we just all talk about it one designatedfree agency thread instead of 20 individual ones?
Thanks RR. That’s the problem with these threads. They start, as this one did, with a simple question on Cole Beasley (and I think he’d be a great addition). By the time you get to page four or five in the thread, the dicussions involve anyone NOT named Cole Beasley. It’s like that party game where one person whispers a story and it gets passed around. What comes out at the end has nothing to do with how the conversation started.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL I just happened to see your fresh post when I logged one.

Cole Beasley is one of the very few NFL players that I truly dislike. He's a shrimp and a twerp (5'8", 174#) and he's a crybaby on and off the field.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE if my beloved GB Packers signed some dynamic WRs and additional weapons for AR12. I'd even like to see the Pack resign Jared Cook.

Just for the love of god no Mrs. Beasley.

Shockwave
While we disagree on Beasley, we definitely agree on Cook. TT let him walk for like $3m, and he’s produced on an AWFUL Raider team. If he has gas in the tank, bring him back and save $9 mil in cap space on Graham. And hey, I wanted to love Graham, but the game has passed him by, and he’s way too expensive.

OP
OP
Cheese Headed Monster
Reaction score
Hey CHM, I’m joining this discussion late so rather than go to page 5, I want to address your very straightforward question. Yes. I think Cole Beasley is exactly the kind of veteran WR the Pack would love. He won’t outshine Adams, but will add veteran savvy to help promising guys like MVS and ESB take the second year jump. I don’t watch Beasley a lot, but he seems to be an accomplished route runner, similar to Edelman in NE. In short, I’d take him in a heartbeat. The Pack has been mentioned as a landing spot for Antonio Brown. No thanks. Too much money, too much ego, and a player who seems to be in it for him self. That doesn’t diminish his accomplishments or physical traits, he’s off the charts. It would just be a bad move. But I would love to see Beasley in G&G, and I think he can return kicks.

I agree. If he would come on board for the right price, I feel pretty confident a lot of balls would be thrown his way. He may be the guy to smooth the transition period

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While we disagree on Beasley, we definitely agree on Cook. TT let him walk for like $3m, and he’s produced on an AWFUL Raider team. If he has gas in the tank, bring him back and save $9 mil in cap space on Graham. And hey, I wanted to love Graham, but the game has passed him by, and he’s way too expensive.

If you cut Jimmy at most we save 7 million (source: OTC). That would probably be around the starting value for Cook to sign here without the inclusion of a signing bonus. Fine move I guess, but maybe a bit of apples for apples as neither are really a top TE at this point. Cook benefited from a massive share of targets. He wouldn't get the same numbers back in GB unless Adams gets injured.

Cook signed a 10.6 million dollar TWO year deal with 5 million guaranteed when he signed with the Raiders. To re-sign with the Packers he had wanted essentially more than what we gave Bennett (3 years 21 mill). The specifics of what we had offered I do not think have ever been revealed.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Another savvy but not sensational vet who could add to the team. I’d take Cole Beasley ahead of him though. Just a gut feeling.

So NOW we're going to sign Golden **** the Fumbler? No thanks.

Naw, not really, just Friday afternoon and I'm feeling "pissy and argumentative".

I'd take Golden **** over Mrs. Beasley actually.

Just wonder why we have to go sifting through all these retreads looking for a gem.

There again Jared Cook is sort of a retread too. I think I'll just sign off now.

Shockwave

OP
OP
Cheese Headed Monster
Reaction score
So NOW we're going to sign Golden **** the Fumbler? No thanks.

Naw, not really, just Friday afternoon and I'm feeling "pissy and argumentative".

I'd take Golden **** over Mrs. Beasley actually.

Just wonder why we have to go sifting through all these retreads looking for a gem.

Shockwave

Shockwave dont lie to us now. You would take Mrs. Beasley before ****, you aint foolin anyone

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's highly over-rated. open is open. the WR's the coaches put out there must to do their jobs...Rodgers has to do his.

And more times than not he typically does. This season being an exception in which he shares some of the blame. In your previous post you just stated how you loved Favre's willingness to throw receivers even when they're not open. That in itself is a contradiction with what you're saying about open is open. Now if you said Rodgers trying to go for the home run ball rather than taking the simple yards, I'd agree with you as that is something I hope he works on.

But trust isn't highly overrated. It's everything as that's what the concept of what team sports are built off: trust.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No, I don't want Cole Beasley in Green Bay. If that's the played out answer to our problems then the "horror show" will continue.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's crap. These plays are rehearsed. Everyone has to be in the right place or that screws the entire thing up. Too many times Rodgers has thrown a ball and the receiver hasn't been there. Much of it is the OC understanding the limitations of receivers and not putting too much on their plates as McCarthy has historically done.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's crap. These plays are rehearsed. Everyone has to be in the right place or that screws the entire thing up. Too many times Rodgers has thrown a ball and the receiver hasn't been there. Much of it is the OC understanding the limitations of receivers and not putting too much on their plates as McCarthy has historically done.
I would say that if you have a good enough O line and can stand back there like Brady w/o having to have the jitters; receivers can look for the open areas and don't necessarily need to be in their appointed places. There needs to be some flexibility in route running. imho It is not just a matter of being on the same page. It is sometimes more important just to be open.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers doesn't throw the ball if the guy isn't there/open.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And more times than not he typically does. This season being an exception in which he shares some of the blame. In your previous post you just stated how you loved Favre's willingness to throw receivers even when they're not open. That in itself is a contradiction with what you're saying about open is open. Now if you said Rodgers trying to go for the home run ball rather than taking the simple yards, I'd agree with you as that is something I hope he works on.

But trust isn't highly overrated. It's everything as that's what the concept of what team sports are built off: trust.
no contradiction! Favre threw to anyone open. Rodgers seldom does that.
you misinterpreted what i said about Favre "sometimes throwing to guys who weren't open lol." it was a joke about his interception record.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts