Who do you want to see in the Super Bowl?

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers now sadly out of the picture, who are you wanting to see in the Super Bowl? I’m just hoping for anybody but Kansas City.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I want to see what I'd consider the best game. Ravens and 9ers - if for nothing else to watch the 9ers try to exact revenge for the a** kicking during the regular season only to have their *** kicked again.

There'd be a good amount of hair pulling going on too as these teams seem to draw pride from what I'd call the intimidation factor. Two after the whistle bullies spitting on each other. High drama I tell ya...

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions - Bills just so some team gets off the schneid. Based on the conspiracy theorists though @weeds will get his game.
I like Lions vs Bills. Both would be a refreshing change of pace. Also, the Lions winning would give the NFCN a little more prestige.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers now sadly out of the picture, who are you wanting to see in the Super Bowl? I’m just hoping for anybody but Kansas City.
Like to see Lions-Bills. One has never won and the other has never been there.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were defending league champions about 65 years ago or so. They had a stretch of success in the '50s.
They had Bobby Layne for a while. A big center to push the running game. And if course a solid defense with Joe Schmidt.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I'd probably have to say the Ravens would be the least objectionable to me. Usually if its a case where I don't really like any of the teams I look for a particular player I like but the only one I could see on all 4 rosters would be Melvin Gordon. That is if he is actually still with the Ravens. I don't know if the roster I saw was current. So I guess that means go Ravens

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions and Bucs. I like What Campbell has done in Detroit, and Goff has proven he's a gamer. Since I don't like either Harbaugh, I'm hoping KC can knock them on their can, to take it away from them. I'm tired of hearing the Harbaughs lamenting on how people don't treat them fairly after they circumvent rules. Also, the fact that I do like Andy Reid, and have since he was a Packers assistant.

In the end, I'm in the Lions corner all the way. Bring it hope to the NFCN, where the trophy belongs.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had Bobby Layne for a while. A big center to push the running game. And if course a solid defense with Joe Schmidt.
I do remember those days. Layne was pretty darned good. Guys like Hunchy Hoernschmeyer (spelling probably wrong), Doak Walker, and Pat Harder. Later adding Jug Girard, and Leon Hart.

On a side note, I met Jug Girard one summer, while visiting family in Marinette, WI/Menominee, MI. Jug was at an anniversary party thrown for one of my Dad's 2nd cousins. I was 10 years old. I don't remember much about it, but at the time he was the Packers punter, and a back up player at all back positions. He was a friendly person, and had a nice smile.

He asked me if I played football, and I told him I didn't, but I had already seen him play. He asked; "Am I any good?" I responded; "You kick the ball far but you don't run very far with it." He just laughed. He said I was observant. He hoped the Packers coaches didn't see what I did. All the adults around us laughed.

I always thought about it after that, and wished I'd have said something better about his playing skills. The guy was actually an amazing kick return man at Wisconsin, and a darned good punter for his era in the NFL.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions and Bucs. I like What Campbell has done in Detroit, and Goff has proven he's a gamer. Since I don't like either Harbaugh, I'm hoping KC can knock them on their can, to take it away from them. I'm tired of hearing the Harbaughs lamenting on how people don't treat them fairly after they circumvent rules. Also, the fact that I do like Andy Reid, and have since he was a Packers assistant.

In the end, I'm in the Lions corner all the way. Bring it hope to the NFCN, where the trophy belongs.
I don't like Harbaugh either, he seems to have his priorities messed up, caring too much about that preseason winning streak. I also won't mind Tom Brady sweating a bit if Mahomes wins another Super Bowl. And I wouldn't go so far as to root for any NFCN team - the trophy definitely doesn't belong in Chicago.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like Harbaugh either, he seems to have his priorities messed up, caring too much about that preseason winning streak. I also won't mind Tom Brady sweating a bit if Mahomes wins another Super Bowl. And I wouldn't go so far as to root for any NFCN team - the trophy definitely doesn't belong in Chicago.
Agreed on never in Chicago. I kind of feel the same way about the Vikings. Too much fan arrogance for a team that's never won it. It's like they believe they have in their own minds. In fact, claiming that the "NFC Championships" is the same thing.

Detroit deserves a run at it. They've been kicked around so long.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do remember those days. Layne was pretty darned good. Guys like Hunchy Hoernschmeyer (spelling probably wrong), Doak Walker, and Pat Harder. Later adding Jug Girard, and Leon Hart.

On a side note, I met Jug Girard one summer, while visiting family in Marinette, WI/Menominee, MI. Jug was at an anniversary party thrown for one of my Dad's 2nd cousins. I was 10 years old. I don't remember much about it, but at the time he was the Packers punter, and a back up player at all back positions. He was a friendly person, and had a nice smile.

He asked me if I played football, and I told him I didn't, but I had already seen him play. He asked; "Am I any good?" I responded; "You kick the ball far but you don't run very far with it." He just laughed. He said I was observant. He hoped the Packers coaches didn't see what I did. All the adults around us laughed.

I always thought about it after that, and wished I'd have said something better about his playing skills. The guy was actually an amazing kick return man at Wisconsin, and a darned good punter for his era in the NFL.
Wonderful story. The players were amazingly versatile then because they had to be. Rosters were smaller. And there were still some 2 way players then. The Lions had very good teams. Coaching may have been their shortcoming. They just happened to be competing in eras in which the Colts, Giants, Packers, and Browns were on the rise.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't say I really care.

Usually when I watch the game, I find myself favoring one team over the other, although it's hard to say why.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed on never in Chicago. I kind of feel the same way about the Vikings. Too much fan arrogance for a team that's never won it. It's like they believe they have in their own minds. In fact, claiming that the "NFC Championships" is the same thing.

Detroit deserves a run at it. They've been kicked around so long.
I'd much rather see it in Chicago than Minneapolis. I'll get roasted for this but I'd even rather see it in Chicago than Detroit except for the fact I'd have to live with all my Bears fans friends. In fact I can think of 29 cities I'd rather see it in. Add to that all the UFL and Canadian teams I'd rather see win the SB than the vikings and that number goes way up.

Jonty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping for the Lions and the Ravens. I have a lot of respect for what KC has built, but I am just ready to see someone else. The Lions have several former Alabama players; I am a University of Alabama alumnus, and I am hoping to see the Bama men go to the Super Bowl.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the time I'll have a rationale for why I want a certain team to win. For example (although these may not necessarily apply): I'll want the 49ers to win, because then we can say we got beat by the best team (that was a philosophy my dad taught me). Or I'll say I want Detroit to win, because they've never won a Super Bowl before. But it seems like when I actually watch the game, all that goes out the window, and I just find myself favoring one of the teams, not necessarily for any logical reason.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the time I'll have a rationale for why I want a certain team to win. For example (although these may not necessarily apply): I'll want the 49ers to win, because then we can say we got beat by the best team (that was a philosophy my dad taught me). Or I'll say I want Detroit to win, because they've never won a Super Bowl before. But it seems like when I actually watch the game, all that goes out the window, and I just find myself favoring one of the teams, not necessarily for any logical reason.
If I watch thats what I'll probably do. If Its San Fran I'll probably root for the AFC because the announcers will be gushing over the Niners. Well if it San Fran it will be the AFC anyway because the Niners are the last team of the 4 I want to see win it but the announcers will just add to it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the Ravens. I admire JOHN Harbaugh and he almost always has good defenses. He plays in the most smash mouth division in the league.
Can't deny any of that. I've never liked the Ravens though, for whatever reason. Maybe it's the purple. It's cool that they're named after Edgar Allen Poe though.

I live in Indiana, and I remember when the NFL gave Baltimore another team. There was some talk at the time that they wanted to buy the "Colts" name back from Indianapolis, so the new team would be the Colts. I wanted that to happen so Baltimore could have the Colts back, and they could call Indy the Racers or something. Never happened though.

If I watch thats what I'll probably do. If Its San Fran I'll probably root for the AFC because the announcers will be gushing over the Niners.
Back in the '70s, people still remembered the NLF/AFL rivalry. There was a point there where the AFC had won a good majority of the Super Bowls (with the help of some former NFL teams like the Colts and the Steelers). I was an NFL guy, so logically I wanted to see the NFL win more Super Bowls. But like I said before, when it came down to the game, that went out the window. It wasn't like I could root for the Cowboys to win, I hated them like fire.

Then later there was a stretch where the NFC had won 13 straight Super Bowls, and who broke that streak? Yep, the Packers :mad: :poop: :(

Reaction score
Well I’m late to the party. Normally I’d take someone new, but my Wife’s hairstylist is a cousin of Mahomes. It’s a pretty easy KC for me.

I’m fine if the Lions against KC,
but I’d prefer Detroit loses.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't deny any of that. I've never liked the Ravens though, for whatever reason. Maybe it's the purple. It's cool that they're named after Edgar Allen Poe though.

I live in Indiana, and I remember when the NFL gave Baltimore another team. There was some talk at the time that they wanted to buy the "Colts" name back from Indianapolis, so the new team would be the Colts. I wanted that to happen so Baltimore could have the Colts back, and they could call Indy the Racers or something. Never happened though.

Back in the '70s, people still remembered the NLF/AFL rivalry. There was a point there where the AFC had won a good majority of the Super Bowls (with the help of some former NFL teams like the Colts and the Steelers). I was an NFL guy, so logically I wanted to see the NFL win more Super Bowls. But like I said before, when it came down to the game, that went out the window. It wasn't like I could root for the Cowboys to win, I hated them like fire.

Then later there was a stretch where the NFC had won 13 straight Super Bowls, and who broke that streak? Yep, the Packers :mad: :poop: :(
Funny, that in that AFC run the Vikings fell victim 4 times.