Winston Moss

Reaction score
This dude is a @sshole in packer attire who's job is representing the Packers fans of stockholders through the news media.

The last time I seen something so disgusting was Cam Newton acting like a 4 year old after someone stole his popsicle.

Come on McCarthy, show a pulse in handling this.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s my take. He likes Vince Biegel’s professionalism and drive. That’s good news for the future of the LB corps.

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so some reporter asks a vague question, Moss answers it.... he’s not their fuzzy wuzzy friend. Count me in the, “this is no big deal” camp.... tho I’d love to tune in to his next presser *laff*

H

HardRightEdge

I’m just here so I don’t get fined.
Close, I suspect.

He sounds like a guy fulfilling an obligation without a lot to say. Reporters are trying to get stories where there are none. It's too soon to comment on any player's performance because they have not done jack squat yet.

He's not the only one taking this tack. The other guys are just more cordial about it. I've seen two different quotes from coaches with a "we won't know until the games start" type comment. Not camp, "games". That "games" reference might be a new McCarthy thing or just common sense. Right now, it's just guys "working hard".

You know what? This is exactly what they should say. Say what you know and no more, and there ain't a lot to know right now. And the guys have to be seen at least in preseason to make an intelligent assessment.

Winston Moss' problem? He's a d*ck. I wouldn't assume more than from these clips. Hoodie's a d*ck too in interviews. If only d*ckishnesss correlated with success in all instances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Close, I suspect.

He sounds like a guy fulfilling an obligation without a lot to say. Reporters are trying to get stories where there are none. It's too soon to comment on any player's performance because they have not done jack squat yet.

He's not the only one taking this tack. The other guys are just more cordial about it. I've seen two different quotes from coaches with a "we won't know until the games start" type comment. Not camp, "games". That "games" reference might be a new McCarthy thingor just common sense. Right now, it's just guys "working hard".

You know what? This is exactly what they should say. Say what you know and no more, and there ain't a lot to know right now. And the guys have to be seen at least in preseason to make an intelligent assessment.

Winston Moss' problem? He's a d*ck. I wouldn't assume more than from these clips. Hoodie's a d*ck too in interviews. If only d*ckishnesss correlated with success in all instances.
I don't know what you have against James Jones, but I've always felt he was cordial and respectful :)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Close, I suspect.

He's not the only one taking this tack. The other guys are just more cordial about it. I've seen two different quotes from coaches with a "we won't know until the games start" type comment. Not camp, "games". That "games" reference might be a new McCarthy thingor just common sense. Right now, it's just guys "working hard".

There are still things you can say. "Biegel is in great shape. Happy to see he has been working hard this offseason. He is stronger and it shows." Something positive that may actually motivate a guy or 2 to work even harder.

H

HardRightEdge

There are still things you can say. "Biegel is in great shape. Happy to see he has been working hard this offseason. He is stronger and it shows." Something positive that may actually motivate a guy or 2 to work even harder.
He said Biegel comes prepared and works hard every day. Judging whether he's "stronger and it shows" and if that's a positive wouldn't be known at this time or is not worth comment. He could be, but if he loses quickness in the process it would be for naught. How's his foot? Same thing...gotta see that at least in contact drills and then how that combines with the mental aspect of the game against foreign opponents. This stuff can't be judged at this time. These OTA/minicamps are just some running around, playbook work, meetings, injury and conditioning assessment, getting to know the the new players.

The "Donnerson making plays" seemed to set him off. Nobody is making plays at this point. There are no plays.

So, Matthews takes Biegel under his wing this offseason.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...ince-biegel-clay-matthews-training/698683002/

"Biegel said he appreciated that Matthews issued the invitation even though Biegel plays the same position and would love to steal as much playing time away from the veteran as possible."

Yeah? Maybe Matthews is not looking forward to a high snap count for lack of a capable rotation. After all that offseason mentoring, he slammed the bench just a couple of weeks ago. Maybe that should have been observed in the above piece. Maybe Moss has a wild hair up his **** because he too thought the bench needed an upgrade. Many posters here seemed to agree that the Packers needed to do something besides Donnerson in the draft or FA.

Kizer hits Kumerow on a deep ball playing touch football in shorts and shells. We know Kizer has an NFL arm. We know Kumerow was a college WR, runs about a 4.5, and is more likely than not to catch one football. This doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know.

Or take Spriggs for example. It's been reported he's been in Green Bay during the offseason, has been chowing down, he's "bigger and stronger" in getting up to 320 lbs. in prep to play RT.

https://www.packers.com/news/jason-spriggs-settling-in-with-increased-size-strength

He's working hard, "he's going to give it everything he can." That's good to know, like knowing that Biegel comes prepared and works hard every day. Then there's the backhanded part of that compliment:

“Ultimately, it’s going to come down to his performance and how he handles things. I know this, that he’s in a lot better physical shape and mindset than he’s been the previous two years, in my opinion.”

This echos McCarthy calling him out last season. Spriggs, in addressing his offseason work, says he hopes it does not affect his quickness. Even he is not willing to make a claim at this stage whether the weight gain is a net plus. Can't tell until at least contact practice, but preseason games will be the better indication.

J'mon Moore "grabs grass". "He has wowed the Packers with his strength, conditioning and athleticism."

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...es-best-attribute-he-grabs-grass-when-he-runs

OK. So the pro day 40 is more representative than the Combine's. That's not much of a surprise. You can see in the available tape the guy has long speed, accelerating and separating past 20 yards when running free. 40 time aside, the other Combine measurables indicate a strength/conditioning/athleticism combination at the top of this class. The question is his route running, pretty much limited to outside the numbers in the tape, and consistent hands. Gotta see what he does in games. Maybe Adams has a new best friend. Maybe the smoother route runner, St. Brown, wins out. Games, games, games are required.

And we've seen on several occasions a guy has a lauded camp and preseason, gets ensconsed in the starting lineup, and then disappoints. That may come down to either watching and not studying opponent tape, an important distinction one coach made, or he studied it and did not understand it. Physical ability is only the first bar to hurdle. The mental game separates player from player.

When you get right down to it, these other coaches and commentators are not really sharing much more of what matters than we don't already know. Maybe Moss believes there should be more stick and less carrot than the other guys, and that may be appropriate to this collection of players. When the receivers coach says he's enthusiatic about everybody in the room, that may be what he thinks, maybe he's a cockeyed optimist who is inclined to think all is good until the ample opportunities for players to demonstrate otherwise are presented, maybe he thinks that's what he's supposed to say.

When you get right down to it, it's a question of delivery rather than content. That Moss was a d*ck in the process, impolitic and unnecessary, would be a good observation. He could say, "Look, you guys are jumping the gun. It's way too early to make the kind of assessments you're asking for. Here's what I can tell you." Throw the guys a couple of bones and get out.

And maybe he's not all that happy about how these reporters have been covering the defense and the linebackers. If so, it would accrue to his benefit not to show it.

Whether something more than this is going on might emerge later. In the meantime, what I hear from Moss to these reporters is, "get a job".

Last edited by a moderator:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he has a bug up his butt about the media and discussing the LB group and he thinks they are being unfair and he just wants to be a jerk to them and get back at them in the only way possible, mission accomplished.. nothing to see and move on.

If he has a bug up his butt because he feels slighted that he isn't the DC (or should be a DC) and this is his attitude, then he needs to be replaced. Not sure they need a toxic coach around.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's probably been told to not give up too much info about what the defense is doing. That's fine by me. He's not the first coach by a long shot to stone-wall the media.

Last edited:

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would probably bet it's a combination of having an increased responsibility and the lack of improvement of talent within the LB corps. The Pack did about as much to improve the LB corps as they have RB this offseason - even though they did add Oren Burks in the draft. They did very little to assist in the Pass Rush area and if something goes wrong then guess who's going to be held responsible. We don't know what lobbying was done for a draft pick or Free Agent signing that may have been ignored.

I agree his attitude doesn't sit well - but in the end of the day the position coach will be the first to take the blame.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m guessing at this point in the season, it’s pretty hard and probably annoying to answer relatively unimportant questions. On the other hand, any Packer who goes befor the press or the public is representing the organization. Then again, I’ve never seen a WM presser, so don’t know if this is normal for him. If it is, they should keep him away from the camera.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see where press conferences can be tedious this time of year. It's the slowest time on the NFL calender, and everyone looks good in shorts in June.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would probably bet it's a combination of having an increased responsibility and the lack of improvement of talent within the LB corps.

I guess you wanted to cite a decrease in responsibility as a possible reason for Moss' reaction.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was openly hostile and disrespectful. He was an ***. I don't know what some of you are seeing.

This isn't a coach being emotional after a tough loss. He's answering questions about mini-camp. If Moss can't handle these questions he has no place being an NFL coach.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was openly hostile and disrespectful. He was an ***. I don't know what some of you are seeing.

This isn't a coach being emotional after a tough loss. He's answering questions about mini-camp. If Moss can't handle these questions he has no place being an NFL coach.
Considering he's been in a coaching capacity one of sort or another in the NFL for the past 20 years, my guess is his track record, which is much more extensive than a clip from a press conference about nothing, says otherwise. Not everyone is at their best all the time, you've said things to your parents, kids, teachers, co-workers, friends, or some random stranger on the street that you probably should have handled differently at some point in your life. For many of us, it doesn't mean we're unfit for whatever we're doing. it just means we weren't at our best. Though I am unsure how many out there are capable of walking among us with how they handle everything.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering he's been in a coaching capacity one of sort or another in the NFL for the past 20 years, my guess is his track record, which is much more extensive than a clip from a press conference about nothing, says otherwise. Not everyone is at their best all the time, you've said things to your parents, kids, teachers, co-workers, friends, or some random stranger on the street that you probably should have handled differently at some point in your life. For many of us, it doesn't mean we're unfit for whatever we're doing. it just means we weren't at our best. Though I am unsure how many out there are capable of walking among us with how they handle everything.

That's a well thought-out, reasonable reaction to what occurred.

It won't sit well with the knee-jerk crowd.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a reminder to some of you...

This team, the players, the coaches, they do not owe you or the media anything. Get off your high horses.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a reminder to some of you...

This team, the players, the coaches, they do not owe you or the media anything. Get off your high horses.

They actually owe us (i.e., the fans and, unfortunately, the medium of TV) everything. If it were not for the expenditures of Joe Sixpack, and particularly his viewing habits, precipitated by the interest that these kind of questions generate, the folks you mentioned would be working for a living.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, they do owe us. If they don't owe us anything they can play their games in the middle of empty stadiums. And collect game checks of $0.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They actually owe us (i.e., the fans and, unfortunately, the medium of TV) everything. If it were not for the expenditures of Joe Sixpack, and particularly his viewing habits, precipitated by the interest that these kind of questions generate, the folks you mentioned would be working for a living.

They are all working for a living. Guarantee Winston Moss works more hours than the vast majority of us.

Their job is to make sure players play well. Their job is not to inform Joe Schmoe fan of how everything is working, that’s just an added bonus. Should Moss act differently? Probably. I’m comfortable knowing I don’t know all the details of the situation, and personally, I just don’t care if Moss is a **** to the reporters. Tbh, Wilde and Demovsky deserve it. They’re sanctimonious ******.

But no, Moss’s job isn’t to inform all of us fans what’s going on in practice without pads. His job is to coach the players to be ready for our entertainment. Don’t get it twisted. Just enjoy the drama, k?

Members online

Latest posts