Will Randall Cobb or Jordie Nelson Be Inducted Into the Packers HOF?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy for sure. Adams has probably statistically passed Cobb already so I am going to go no on Cobb. His catch vs the bears can be an exhibit though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jordy for sure. Adams has probably statistically passed Cobb already so I am going to go no on Cobb. His catch vs the bears can be an exhibit though.

Adams (329 receptions for 4,007 yards and 38 TDs) has actually pretty similar numbers during his first five seasons as Cobb (306-3,878-31) had at that point in his career.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packer HOF is big on fan favorites and that makes Nelson about as close to a shoe in as you can get (only Rodgers might get more love) and I think Cobb will make it as well. He may have to wait until a down year for candidates but I think he will get in.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Packer HOF is big on fan favorites and that makes Nelson about as close to a shoe in as you can get (only Rodgers might get more love) and I think Cobb will make it as well. He may have to wait until a down year for candidates but I think he will get in.

While Cobb has put up decent numbers I don't believe he will make it to the Packers HOF.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams (329 receptions for 4,007 yards and 38 TDs) has actually pretty similar numbers during his first five seasons as Cobb (306-3,878-31) had at that point in his career.

Adams is on another level compared to Cobb just as nelson was and Jennings before him

H

HardRightEdge

"Ends" / Split Ends / Flankers / Wide Recivers in the Packer Hall of Fame

Pre-Modern (Pre-1958, 2-way players)

The demarcation point between the pre-modern and modern game is somewhat arbitrary. By 1958, the two-way player was nearly extinct and nearly all players had transitioned to the plastic helmet with face mask after the NFL recommended players do so in 1955. The 1958 Championship game, dubbed "The Greatest Game Ever Played", is generally credited with ushering in the television era. Racial integration was underway. The duration of NFL careers (not necessarily Packer careers) are noted.

Lavvie Dilweg, 1926-1934
Milt Gantenbein, 1931 - 1940
Don Hutson, 1935 - 1945
Carl Mulleneaux, 1938 - 1946
Harry Jacunski, 1939 - 1944
Bobb Mann, 1948 - 1954 (offense only, first African American Packer in 1950 with a very interesting story: [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Mann_(American_football)]

Pre-Modern and Modern (Careers stradling 1958)

Billy Howton, 1952 - 1963
Gary Knafelc (End/TE), 1954 - 1963
Max McGee, 1954 - 1967

Modern (1958 - 1977)

The terms "flanker" and "split end" came into usage in this period.

Boyd Dowler, 1959 - 1971
Carroll Dale, 1960 - 1973

Post-Modern (1977 - current)

1978 can be viewed as the demarcation point between the modern and post-modern periods because of significant rule changes introduced in the 1978 season. Average team scoring had dropped to 17.2 points per game in 1977, the lowest since 1942. These changes were the first of many intended to open up the passing game and increase scoring, most notably:
  • offensive linemen were now allowed to block with their hands
  • the 5 yard "chuck rule" was introduced which restricted defender contact with the receiver downfield ("Mel Blount Rule")
  • the head slap was banned ("Deacon Jones Rule")
The term "wide receiver" gradually replaced "flanker" and "split end", and the term "slot receiver" eventually entered the terminology with 3-wide sets as defined by the Patriots with Wes Welker and then widely copied. The flanker vs. split end distinction technically still exists in certain formations, sometimes referred to as the "Z" and "X" receivers, respectively, because of certain rules. A minimum of 7 players must be on the line of scrimmage however a wide receiver cannot "cover up" the TE, an illegal formation where the wide receiver on the TE side cannot be on the line of scrimage. Consequently, in a 6-man line / 2-back formation, the wide receiver on the TE side must be off the line of scrimmage and would be designated the flanker or "Z" receiver. The wide receiver on the opposite side in those formations would be lined up on the line of scrimmage to satisfy the 7-man requirement and would be designated the split end or "X" receiver.

When talking about a player in general, not his position on a particular play, "wide receiver" came into use as these players now move around and the variety of formations in use render the "X" and "Y" designations nearly obsolete with the ubiquitous use of a slot receiver on all but short yardage run downs. Anyway:

James Lofton (1978 - 1993)
Sterling Sharpe (1988 - 1994)
Robert Brooks (1992 - 2000)
Antonio Freeman (1995 - 2003)
Donald Driver (1999 - 2012)

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cobb is comparable to Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman and that's why I think he will get in.

H

HardRightEdge

I think Cobb is comparable to Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman and that's why I think he will get in.
Assuming this is Cobb's last season in Green Bay, I don't think you could put him on par with Freeman. Brooks is a fair comparable, with a key difference. Brooks was a contributor on the 2 Super Bowl teams, particularly in 1997. Cobb could be back to improve on his borderline case. Like it or not, playing on a championship team matters to the voters in these kinds of things.

But if we're honest with ourselves, and look at what happened on the field rather than what has come out of his mouth since, Jennings is a stronger candidate than Cobb statistically and his resume includes being the #1 target on a Super Bowl champion team including 2 TD catches in the big game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams is on another level compared to Cobb just as nelson was and Jennings before him

I fully expect Adams to be a more productive receiver for the next few seasons than Cobb has been lately but don't ignore that Randall put up pretty good numbers during his first five years with the Packers as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jordy is a lock.

As HRE wisely points out, is Cobb done in Green Bay? I think this thread assumes it is, but at the age of only 28, Cobb may have some good years left in him and for all we know, that will be with the Packers.

Assuming Cobb plays his final game with the Packers this season, I think he still gets in to the PHOF. Just looking at the list, I see players on it, that IMO have done less for the Packers than Cobb has.

https://www.packers.com/lambeau-field/hall-of-fame/hall-of-famers

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as the question poses??

Nelson definitely after his highlight reel catches of SB XLV and his likely being Rodgers's most reliable target of his career.

Cobb might be borderline, but he's got outstanding highlights including the 108 yard barrel roll kickoff return, and the 4th and 15 TD in Soldier Field.

Members online

Latest posts