Wide Receiver Options

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to today's public salary cap report by the NFLPA the Packers have $8.25 million of cap space available.

They could definitely sign a veteran to a reasonable contract. It's questionable there is currently one available who would be able to contribute immediately though.

That wouldn't be a smart approach, especially as Bakhtiari is expected to play today.

The Packers could try to recoup some of the money they paid to Bakhtiari as a signing bonus but with him being injured in practice I don't think their chances would be great.

Therefore him retiring would result in the same amount of dead money as if they were to release him.
That $8.5 mill needs to cover the entire season, not just a week or two. Use it up now, and you start looking for ways to create future cap hell by shifting contract money around for players that will end up being dead cap of the future.

D

Deleted member 6794

That $8.5 mill needs to cover the entire season, not just a week or two. Use it up now, and you start looking for ways to create future cap hell by shifting contract money around for players that will end up being dead cap of the future.

The Packers will hardly need any of that cap space as most veterans signed at this point agree to deals close to the minimum.

In addition the later a veteran signs the lower the cap hit will be as the total is prorated for the remaining weeks in the season.

FYI currently only six teams have more cap space for this season than the Packers.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe what you want, but I don't see them taking on any appreciable burden on salaries at this point. They'll make a move, to put a guy on the practice squad, so they can coach him up well enough to fill a uniform. But, if you think about it, Amari Rodgers hasn't gotten the concepts yet, so why would you expect anyone else to get it, unless they came from a similar team history?

It isn't just a matter of finding a player, it's a matter of finding a player who knows the base offense, can learn easily, and contribute, not a lump for a uniform. I'm afraid most signings as of today fit into the lump category.

D

Deleted member 6794

Believe what you want, but I don't see them taking on any appreciable burden on salaries at this point. They'll make a move, to put a guy on the practice squad, so they can coach him up well enough to fill a uniform. But, if you think about it, Amari Rodgers hasn't gotten the concepts yet, so why would you expect anyone else to get it, unless they came from a similar team history?

It isn't just a matter of finding a player, it's a matter of finding a player who knows the base offense, can learn easily, and contribute, not a lump for a uniform. I'm afraid most signings as of today fit into the lump category.

As I've mentioned above I agree that it would be difficult to find a free agent wide receiver capable of having an immediate impact.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned above I agree that it would be difficult to find a free agent wide receiver capable of having an immediate impact.
Players that can actually be counted on to make an impact are few and far between, and don't sign for minimum salaries. They want extended guarantees, like a second year, and a guaranteed salary for that as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Players that can actually be counted on to make an impact are few and far between, and don't sign for minimum salaries. They want extended guarantees, like a second year, and a guaranteed salary for that as well.

For example, OBJ counted only $850K towards the Rams cap last season. The Packers would need to find someone like him for it to make sense to bring in a veteran.

Those signings are few and far between though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For example, OBJ counted only $850K towards the Rams cap last season. The Packers would need to find someone like him for it to make sense to bring in a veteran.

Those signings are few and far between though.
The Packers would have had to offer several times the amount he got to get him to play in GB. I'm sorry! Green Bay is not everyone's idea of where they want to live.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers would have had to offer several times the amount he got to get him to play in GB. I'm sorry! Green Bay is not everyone's idea of where they want to live.

I'm not talking about OBJ as he most likely won't be healthy enough to play for another several weeks and I expect him to re-sign with the Rams once he's able to return.

The Packers would hugely benefit from being able to sign a veteran receiver like him. I'm not optimistic there is one available though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A veteran who doesn't understand the system employed by the Packers is of absolutely no value. I'd rather have a free agent parked on the practice squad that's learned the system than any name player for more money.

In my personal opinion, that's been one of the downfalls of the Packers in recent years, believing that they can get a player to change his style to fit their needs. How many tight ends have matriculated through GB and not stuck?

Still, it's not the place that the majority of WRs will go to play. They will only use negotiations with GB as a tool to negotiate elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still, it's not the place that the majority of WRs will go to play. They will only use negotiations with GB as a tool to negotiate elsewhere.

I don't think that's true. Actually I believe a lot of wide receivers would like to play with Rodgers.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That wouldn't be a smart approach, especially as Bakhtiari is expected to play today.
I know I was being sarcastic mostly it just sucks he has been out for so long

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A veteran who doesn't understand the system employed by the Packers is of absolutely no value. I'd rather have a free agent parked on the practice squad that's learned the system than any name player for more money.

In my personal opinion, that's been one of the downfalls of the Packers in recent years, believing that they can get a player to change his style to fit their needs. How many tight ends have matriculated through GB and not stuck?

They could have had Odell and lowballed him idk it’s just frustrating they always in the mix to sign people and never happens the only player they signed was someone who believed in aliens like Rodgers… who was happy with that and our staff was equally as happy cuz they barely paid him anything to boot

D

Deleted member 6794

They could have had Odell and lowballed him idk it’s just frustrating they always in the mix to sign people and never happens

The Packers signed the Smiths, Amos and Turner in a huge spending spree three offseasons ago. You need to consider that they haven't had a significant amount of cap space to spend on free agents ever since.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that's true. Actually I believe a lot of wide receivers would like to play with Rodgers.
Such as? Every highly touted WR we've pursued of late has signed elsewhere. Emmanuel Sanders, Allen Robinson, Odell, Julio. And for our own developed WR's, Eq, MVS, Adams didn't want to re-sign or wanted out. GB is the last destination they're ok signing with, and their agents will use "interest" for leverage with other teams. I can't think of an impact WR FA in the last thirty years. I understand how polarizing Greg Jennings can be but from his Packers HOF induction speech he mentioned that GB was his least preferred option coming into the league ("but turned out to be what was best for him"). It may be that GB is small, cold and isolated. It may be Rodgers. It may be that we don't pay as much as others for FA WR's. I'm not sure, but I don't see WR's bending over backwards to play with Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Such as? Every highly touted WR we've pursued of late has signed elsewhere. Emmanuel Sanders, Allen Robinson, Odell, Julio. And for our own developed WR's, Eq, MVS, Adams didn't want to re-sign or wanted out. GB is the last destination they're ok signing with, and their agents will use "interest" for leverage with other teams. I can't think of an impact WR FA in the last thirty years. I understand how polarizing Greg Jennings can be but from his Packers HOF induction speech he mentioned that GB was his least preferred option coming into the league ("but turned out to be what was best for him"). It may be that GB is small, cold and isolated. It may be Rodgers. It may be that we don't pay as much as others for FA WR's. I'm not sure, but I don't see WR's bending over backwards to play with Rodgers.

It's true that receivers don't bend over to play for the Packers. I'm convinced most of them sign with other teams because they offer more money than Green Bay. If the Packers were the ones offering the most money they would have signed here.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true that receivers don't bend over to play for the Packers. I'm convinced most of them sign with other teams because they offer more money than Green Bay. If the Packers were the ones offering the most money they would have signed here.
With our cap situation, I don't see us winning many bidding wars in the foreseeable future.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats not true, Beckham stated his first choice was the Packers but they were unwilling to offer him anything more than the veteran minimum. The Rams upped their offer just a bit higher than the minimum and the rest is Superbowl history...

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons Green Bay isn't a hot spot for free agents. Vic Ketchum wrote about it over the years. There's also the issue of weather. Why would a player opt for playing in Green Bay, if he has a chance to play in Florida, California, or any other warm climate? There's the night life. Small city Green Bay, compared to the hustle and bustle, and night life of LA, NYC, or Miami? The list of reasons goes on and on, and that was the #1 reason that Thompson made it his mission to build the team primarily through the draft. He knew the problems he was facing, and in many cases, if the Packer front office contacts a free agent's spokesperson, the spokesperson would say things like; "Unless the Packer offer is extremely substantial, my client would rather be looking to land in a place where he'd be more comfortable." Of course, comfortable can mean anything.

Anyhow, that's how I see it.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons Green Bay isn't a hot spot for free agents. Vic Ketchum wrote about it over the years. There's also the issue of weather. Why would a player opt for playing in Green Bay, if he has a chance to play in Florida, California, or any other warm climate? There's the night life. Small city Green Bay, compared to the hustle and bustle, and night life of LA, NYC, or Miami? The list of reasons goes on and on, and that was the #1 reason that Thompson made it his mission to build the team primarily through the draft. He knew the problems he was facing, and in many cases, if the Packer front office contacts a free agent's spokesperson, the spokesperson would say things like; "Unless the Packer offer is extremely substantial, my client would rather be looking to land in a place where he'd be more comfortable." Of course, comfortable can mean anything.

Anyhow, that's how I see it.

100% true, also tax, long term COL, business ventures. Etc

Florida and Nevada (Raiders) have ZERO state income tax and growing economies as well as access to great beaches(Las Vegas is somewhat close to CA beaches) and obviously great nightlife(if players want that)

Those are just objective facts. Those are reasons why I can't blame Davante for wanting to leave Green Bay as an example, he did what was best for HIM

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% true, also tax, long term COL, business ventures. Etc

Florida and Nevada (Raiders) have ZERO state income tax and growing economies as well as access to great beaches(Las Vegas is somewhat close to CA beaches) and obviously great nightlife(if players want that)

Those are just objective facts. Those are reasons why I can't blame Davante for wanting to leave Green Bay as an example, he did what was best for HIM
Absolutely! Even NIL comes into play. Because he played in New England, Gronk was making enough money from NIL that he didn't even cash his paychecks, just banked it all. In Green Bay, that's never going to happen. Not even close to it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tight ends made some plays today. If they can keep that going it will be huge for this offense

Members online

Latest posts