Wide Receiver Options

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Amari is a different receiver than Doubs and Watson, they're not necessarily getting snaps over him because he's not competing with them for a role on the outside. He's competing with Cobb or anybody playing in the slot or backfield. He'll never beat Cobb as long as Cobb is here. Signing and keeping Cobb was to placate Rodgers last year, and may be the main reason Amari doesn't develop with us.
Cobb missed a lot of time last year and he didn't do anything then either. Yeah he was a rookie, but he didn't do anything to make anyone think otherwise either despite having opportunity. he played the entire preseason and with a QB other than Rodgers while Rodgers and Cobb sat the bench and again, he showed very, very little.

so you can spin it as a Rodgers problem because he wanted Cobb and it's all about placation to the point the coaches won't develop Amari because of it, but i'm not buying it.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb missed a lot of time last year and he didn't do anything then either. Yeah he was a rookie, but he didn't do anything to make anyone think otherwise either despite having opportunity. he played the entire preseason and with a QB other than Rodgers while Rodgers and Cobb sat the bench and again, he showed very, very little.

so you can spin it as a Rodgers problem because he wanted Cobb and it's all about placation to the point the coaches won't develop Amari because of it, but i'm not buying it.
Amari got a fair chance during those games when Cobb was out too, right?

October 17th, 2021 - 1 target, 1 catch: 14 yards.
January 9th, 2022 - 3 targets from Jordan Love, 1 catch: 5 yards.

Sounds like Rodgers really wanted to look his way when Cobb was injured. One whole target. I guess we can spin it that he has a 100% catch rate with an average yards/catch of 14 though. Is that Hall worthy?

Last edited:

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is an option release Watking and sign Antonio Brown.

Or just throw the damn ball to Watson and Doubs way more and see what happens.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This is what this kid is capable of.
He looked pretty good on some longer passes. He does have a good nose for tracking the ball. Maybe they should send him on some more unconventional deep routes. If he ever plays again that is.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

January 9th, 2021 - 3 targets from Jordan Love, 1 catch: 5 yards.

Sounds like Rodgers really wanted to look his way when Cobb was injured. One whole target. I guess we can spin it that he has a 100% catch rate with an average yards/catch of 14 though. Is that Hall worthy?
And preseason this year? No Aaron and no Cobb, excuses for not stepping up?

Not having opportunity and not doing anything when presented with an opportunity are 2 different things.

I had high hopes for him but he has a lot of work to do, and apparently more than I thought.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And preseason this year? No Aaron and no Cobb, excuses for not stepping up?

Not having opportunity and not doing anything when presented with an opportunity are 2 different things.

I had high hopes for him but he has a lot of work to do, and apparently more than I thought.

I'm not exactly sure what you wanted to see from a player working with the 2nd and 3rd team offense, vanilla play calls. That said, he had a 22-yard TD and he caught 64% of his passes and did a jet sweep, worked out of the backfield. That's how he should be used, all over the place.

D

Deleted member 6794

By all accounts in the offseason, Amari put in the work to come in in shape and changed his body to better suit his role.

As mentioned before, it should work as another evidence that there's no reason to put any stock into reports like that. They all look great in shorts during the offseason.

If he's not good enough to see the field because others are better, then whatever, that's the nature of the league. But IF that's the case, say something better than "he's kick returning for us now, that's all I got".

So youM're telling me Aaron should have said that Amari isn't good enough to play in the NFL?

The type of receiver that Amari should be is what this offense needs, someone who can get behind the line and get some YAC or a jet sweep or act as the 3rd RB. But that didn't happen - they let Watson and Doubs run.

It seems like Amari isn't capable of excelling at what he should at though.

At this point, it's like they relegated him to a position he struggles at - KR. IMO he deserves more opportunity - getting ZERO offensive snaps makes no sense to me in the last game if you're trying to develop a player.

A regular season isn't the right time to develop a player that hasn't earned the opportunity to get on the field during camp.

I suspect Rodgers just doesn't want to work with him and will therefore never trust him. He'd rather work with Cobb who's maybe 60% of what he once was and is his best friend.

Yeah, that's definitely the most realistic scenario of what is happening :rolleyes:

Signing and keeping Cobb was to placate Rodgers last year, and may be the main reason Amari doesn't develop with us.

I suspect the main reason Amari is performing up to expectations is that he just isn't good enough.

January 9th, 2022 - 3 targets from Jordan Love, 1 catch: 5 yards.

Actually Aaron targeted Amari three times in the win at Arizona as well with him catching only one of them for seven yards.

I think it's far more realistic to consider Amari struggles to produce at the NFL level than a four-time MVP not wanting him on the field to play with one of his buddies.

Here is an option release Watking and sign Antonio Brown.

You're joking, right???

Or just throw the damn ball to Watson and Doubs way more and see what happens.

Rodgers targted Watson and Doubs a combined eight times vs. the Vikings. It would have been unrealistic to expect them to get more targets in their first NFL game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what you wanted to see from a player working with the 2nd and 3rd team offense, vanilla play calls. That said, he had a 22-yard TD and he caught 64% of his passes and did a jet sweep, worked out of the backfield. That's how he should be used, all over the place.
I want to see something. Guys like Jarret Boykin, Jeff Janis, Ruvell Martin etc all looked like they had something in the preseason. They made themselves be noticed. You have taken the position that Rodgers and Cobb are keeping Amari down. Well they weren't around and if a guy like Boykin can make a team playing with 2nd and 3rd string vanilla offenses against the same in the preseason, I'd expect to see a little more from Amari. He didn't exactly jump out and show how much he's changed.

I thought it was just a confidence issue last year. And it resulted in tentative running, muffed punts/kicks, indecision and overall slow play. I think he has the build and skill set to be a good player. But this latest bit makes me think the indecision, wrong routes, etc aren't from lack of confidence, but rather from lack of putting in the work. Success in the NFL is usually for the guys that get the little things, maybe Amari isn't putting in the work to learn the little things.

i know guys like Doubs and Watson aren't finished products and I can guarantee they still screw up on the field and in practice and yet Rodgers still has their backs. Probably because they're putting in the effort, asking questions, watching film and trying to get better. He backed MVS and guys like EQ who never really did anything for us. Likely for the same reasons, despite deficits they worked hard.

I don't think ARodgers would ever call someone out like that for talent reasons, but if 2 preseasons in and someone still hasn't gotten the message that it's a lot more than working out in a gym and showing up to practice, it's time to get that message or he'll be out. and it won't be because of Rodgers and Cobb, it will be because of Amari.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, this is how Aaron Jones should be used. All over the formation and early. Give the WR's and TE's some space to work.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio Jones is inactive for today with a knee injury. I really wanted the Packers to get this guy but it would appear being injured all the time is his new normal. He even proved to be less reliable than Sammy Watkins (from an injury standpoint). So far anyway...

When Jones does come back I can see pulled hamstring or quad in his future due to compensating for the knee injury.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio Jones is inactive for today with a knee injury. I really wanted the Packers to get this guy but it would appear being injured all the time is his new normal. He even proved to be less reliable than Sammy Watkins (from an injury standpoint). So far anyway...

When Jones does come back I can see pulled hamstring or quad in his future due to compensating for the knee injury.
Agreed Spanky. He was one of the guys on my off season list, but it appears that age and injuries have caught up to one of the all-time greats. Probably his last season.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Aaron targeted Amari three times in the win at Arizona as well with him catching only one of them for seven yards.

I think it's far more realistic to consider Amari struggles to produce at the NFL level than a four-time MVP not wanting him on the field to play with one of his buddies.
The point is in games that Cobb wasn't playing Amari has had very little opportunity to showcase his value to this team outside of special teams. Cobb played vs. Arizona so that game wasn't mentioned. IMO, with his skillset he deserves an opportunity to show what he can do. I find it hard to believe that he's not better than one target zero catch Cobb in the NFC championship game. I believe Rodgers wants to play with vets that he trusts and these younger players have to earn their way into his circle of trust, but letting him languish on special teams isn't helping Amari's confidence, nor are the comments from the face of the franchise. I also believe that Rodgers isn't throwing to the slot as much as he should, at least to any non Davante Adams WR lined up in the slot. But that's another story.

Reaction score
Yep, I've said the same thing since the summer of 21. Make the defense account for both of them no matter where they go.
I agree with this also. they had like 20% dual RB usage in 2020 and we saw how successful an Offense we were. Imo, We should have no less than 20-25% dual RB usage considering we are banged up and inexperienced at WR.

That said, Patrick Taylor was just brought up active and that speaks volumes to me. MLF also verbalized that to his dismay, those 2 RB were underutilized. I think it’s being addressed now.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. 1 catch on 3 targets (18 yard TD). Yeah it’s fun to watch former Packers perform, unless we play them ;)
The Bears basically played in slop, so I'm curious to see how they look this week... I expect a strong W from the Pack, but our offense needs to step up big time and we have a tendency to let other teams stay in the game.

Reaction score
In the past, I really haven't been on the "Packers need more weapons/receivers, they haven't done enough for Rodgers", bandwagon. If you were going to complain about the roster, I would've argued that the defenses haven't been good enough.

With that being said, although I do like the moves that have been made at WR so far, I don't think enough was done to replace Adams. I think we needed to make at least 1 more big time move, either a major free agency signing or trade. In spite of the fact that the Packers were mentioned a lot this past offseason for every big-time free agent WR, and trade rumor involving a WR, none were made.

I hope this doesn't come back to bite us because I feel we have a much more complete overall team than we have had in a while, at least since a lot of the players from the last Superbowl were on the team.

I do think Doubs and Watson will be great eventually, but I am not sure about this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

The point is in games that Cobb wasn't playing Amari has had very little opportunity to showcase his value to this team outside of special teams. IMO, with his skillset he deserves an opportunity to show what he can do. I find it hard to believe that he's not better than one target zero catch Cobb in the NFC championship game. I believe Rodgers wants to play with vets that he trusts and these younger players have to earn their way into his circle of trust, but letting him languish on special teams isn't helping Amari's confidence, nor are the comments from the face of the franchise. I also believe that Rodgers isn't throwing to the slot as much as he should, at least to any non Davante Adams WR lined up in the slot. But that's another story.

What I find hard to believe is that Aaron and the coaching staff have decided to not play Amari despite him being an upgrade over any other receiver actually getting snaps.

Maybe they are not the problem.
Maybe Rodgers needs to start playing to win more and warry about his stats less.

I'm quite sure you're right about this. EQ would actually have been an All-Pro receiver in Green Bay if he just didn't have that bum throwing the ball :rolleyes:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find hard to believe is that Aaron and the coaching staff have decided to not play Amari despite him being an upgrade over any other receiver actually getting snaps.

I'm quite sure you're right about this. EQ would actually have been an All-Pro receiver in Green Bay if he just didn't have that bum throwing the ball :rolleyes:
Amari had a Muff in 1 out of his 3 Punt returns and in his only kick return of the night he lost control of that ball too i'm pretty sure. There are reasons he's not seeing the field much despite the staff believing in him enough to keep giving him chances to prove himself and it has zero to do with Aaron or Cobb.

Members online

Latest posts