Wide Receiver Options

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have said "No" when you asked, but just saw your question. He was cut today, no surprise.

injury designation connected...I could see him come back later to a PS role depending how things shake off as he stands a better chance here than anywhere else I'd imagine.

D

Deleted member 6794

injury designation connected...I could see him come back later to a PS role depending how things shake off as he stands a better chance here than anywhere else I'd imagine.

You need to consider that other teams can sign Taylor earlier than the Packers when an injury settlement with him was reached.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Fulgham if anything might be the new Taylor....

Disagree, Fulgham is an All-Pro. At least that's what I posted, criticizing the Packers front office for letting him walk after he put up surprisingly good numbers during a five game span with the Eagles in 2020 ;)

Reaction score
We all know this time of year getting injured is a deal breaker for young players. It literally gives the team an easy out on a player that might’ve not made the team to begin with. Not saying you wish for it, but it’s one less bubble player you need to decision.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Can we appreciate just how much of a **** move it was to say this though? I'm sure Amari is trying his best, and sometimes players take time to develop into regular contributors. Statements like this don't help. Rodgers knows how to fluff his way through an interview question, no doubt, so the way he answered it felt like a definite slight to Amari.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have zero doubt something happened recently. Someone isn’t putting in the time or the effort to get better and he just got a shot or get off the pot command.

My bet is if he doesn’t respond favorably and soon, he’ll be cut when a roster spot is needed or shipped off for a 7th if they can get one.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we appreciate just how much of a **** move it was to say this though? I'm sure Amari is trying his best, and sometimes players take time to develop into regular contributors. Statements like this don't help. Rodgers knows how to fluff his way through an interview question, no doubt, so the way he answered it felt like a definite slight to Amari.

I'm inclined to agree, but (first names to reduce confusion) Aaron has typically not said something so harsh and so direct about other wide receivers. He defended and wanted Jake Kumerow.

For this level of slight, I read this is as Aaron say, "Amari, you're talented but you're messing up. You're not working hard and if you're not careful, you're going to get cut. I've tried talking to you personally, but you are not listening. Me saying this in public because nothing else is getting through to you. It's not that I'm mad, I'm just disappointed."

Also doesn't bode well for Amari that Watson, a rookie that missed almost all of training camp his rookie year, played the second most snaps of all of our wide receivers. Or that Doubs played only 2 less than Cobb. Or that Winfree got 9 snap.

I have long been hopeful for Amari, but this does not look good for him at all.

Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree, but (first names to reduce confusion) Aaron has typically not said something so harsh and so direct about other wide receivers. He defended and wanted Jake Kumerow.

For this level of slight, I read this is as Aaron say, "Amari, you're talented but you're messing up. You're not working hard and if you're not careful, you're going to get cut. I've tried talking to you personally, but you are not listening. Me saying this in public because nothing else is getting through to you. It's not that I'm mad, I'm just disappointed."

Also doesn't bode well for Amari that Watson, a rookie that missed almost all of training camp his rookie year, played the second most snaps of all of our wide receivers. Or that Doubs played only 2 less than Cobb. Or that Winfree got 9 snap.

I have long been hopeful for Amari, but this does not look good for him at all.
I agree with this.
So far, Amari is Bowling in Game 2 and his Game 1 (after 10 frames) was a 78 score

Here’s Game 2 So far
Frame1 4/3
Frame2 ?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m certain it’s an effort and/or work ethic problem and it’s at a head. It’s respond or you’re getting cut type comment.

Rodgers has never made such a direct comment before and I agree with mradtke, it’s so don’t hate you but you’re messing up type comment.

He’s always been vague about a group needing to clean things up etc. but we’ve had lots of guys that clearly didn’t have it but if they were working hard and putting in effort he had their backs even while recognizing they needed work.

I think he’ll forgive about anything but he absolutely won’t tolerate poor work ethic or poor effort. I think he sees Amari has talent but he’s gotta start putting in the time and it’s past time for him to start.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm surprised it took that long for someone to actually take a shot at Aaron for it :rolleyes: Amari is the one deserving criticism as it seems he doesn't put in the work necessary to have an impact for the Packers.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised it took that long for someone to actually take a shot at Aaron for it :rolleyes: Amari is the one deserving criticism as it seems he doesn't put in the work necessary to have an impact for the Packers.
We don't know that it's a work ethic problem. By all accounts in the offseason, Amari put in the work to come in in shape and changed his body to better suit his role. If he's not good enough to see the field because others are better, then whatever, that's the nature of the league. But IF that's the case, say something better than "he's kick returning for us now, that's all I got". The type of receiver that Amari should be is what this offense needs, someone who can get behind the line and get some YAC or a jet sweep or act as the 3rd RB. But that didn't happen - they let Watson and Doubs run. At this point, it's like they relegated him to a position he struggles at - KR. IMO he deserves more opportunity - getting ZERO offensive snaps makes no sense to me in the last game if you're trying to develop a player. This is a receiver we traded up for and Gutey likes (in the offseason he stated "he's emerged as a rushing weapon for us"). I suspect Rodgers just doesn't want to work with him and will therefore never trust him. He'd rather work with Cobb who's maybe 60% of what he once was and is his best friend.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe all that stuff we heard in the offseason was fluff? I certainly didn't see anything in the preseason that made me say, "wow, look at Amari, he's really different this year" He looked a little more decisive, but i've seen lots of guys not good enough in the NFL look like that over a lot of years. I have a hard time believing Doubs and Watson are getting snaps over Amari if Amari is actually the better receiver and doing the work.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe all that stuff we heard in the offseason was fluff? I certainly didn't see anything in the preseason that made me say, "wow, look at Amari, he's really different this year" He looked a little more decisive, but i've seen lots of guys not good enough in the NFL look like that over a lot of years. I have a hard time believing Doubs and Watson are getting snaps over Amari if Amari is actually the better receiver and doing the work.
I think Amari is a different receiver than Doubs and Watson, they're not necessarily getting snaps over him because he's not competing with them for a role on the outside. He's competing with Cobb or anybody playing in the slot or backfield. He'll never beat Cobb as long as Cobb is here. Signing and keeping Cobb was to placate Rodgers last year, and may be the main reason Amari doesn't develop with us.

Members online

Latest posts