Why the Pack will have greater success with Rodgers

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
There can be no arguing that Favre was a great quarterback. I think the future will prove that Rodgers is a great quarterback. I believe, however, that the Packers will be far more successful under Aaron Rodgers than they were under Brett Favre because I see a huge difference between the two. The difference does not lie, however, in their skills, their abilities, their talent, their knowledge, or even in their preparation (though I believe Aaron to be far more dedicated to preparation – physical and mental). The huge difference I see between the two is that Favre got his teammates to believe in him while A-Rod gets his teammates to believe in themselves. Favre had his teammates convinced that he could rally them and win the game with his heroics. A-Rod has his teammates, whoever they are – starters or substitutes – believing that THEY can win the game.
A-Rod, in that sense, reminds me of Michael Jordan. MJ was not only a great player, but he made everyone around him, BJ, Scotty, Kurr, Kukoc, all them, better players. It is a confidence not in one person, but in the team; not in one man’s ability to win, but in the team’s ability to win.
That mindset, that trait, is what allowed a team with over 25% injuries from opening day to the post-season win the Superbowl and it is what I think will keep these Packers in the dynasty mode for quite some time to come.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck, it's simpler than that even. They know, save for a few rare exceptions, Rodgers isn't going to have the monumental F up that Favre was so known for. Let's face it, for every great play there one that was equally as bad. Rodgers does not have those plays.

How many times in the post season did you even see a Rodgers pass hit the defender before hitting a Packer player? That's what was so shocking about the INT to Urlacher. It was completely out of character. But, to his credit he huslted and got that jerk to the ground on what looked to be a game changing TD.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck, it's simpler than that even. They know, save for a few rare exceptions, Rodgers isn't going to have the monumental F up that Favre was so known for. Let's face it, for every great play there one that was equally as bad. Rodgers does not have those plays.

How many times in the post season did you even see a Rodgers pass hit the defender before hitting a Packer player? That's what was so shocking about the INT to Urlacher. It was completely out of character. But, to his credit he huslted and got that jerk to the ground on what looked to be a game changing TD.
I hope the Packers will learn from their mistakes of having so much trust in a guy who is a superstar one year to being a let down the next.
It looks like they have started to by not letting him come back and letting the up and comer take his place.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Rodgers seems less reckless, which also helps I would imagine. His teammates - especially on defense - are less apt to be put in bad situations because of "gunslinging". His decision-making seems to be smarter, imho.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
this to me seems like a dumb thread. why will the pack have great success with him? maybe because he isnt a media *****, doesnt throw game ending picks, and won a super bowl in his 3rd year starting.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You either lived by Favre or you died by Favre. That's the way he played. You loved him and the next play you wanted to ring his neck. Rodgers is different in the way he approaches everything and I think that's just his personality. He's calmer and carries himself in his body language that way. He protects the ball better and if something is not there he doesn't force it, he makes the right decision and goes on to the next play. Hopefully he keeps that calm level headed approach throughout the future and we should be in real good hands.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
When Favre first left us, I said to myself "We'll never win another Super Bowl" and here we are with that Title in a faster time than he gave it to us.

I was heart broken for a long long time when he blew the NFC Championship game and I still think we would have beat New England, undefeated or not. But go back to that last interception he threw in a green uniform, and it reminds you of something he was known to do.

When Favre missed someone on a throw, or someone dropped a pass, he quit throwing to them. That is why he forced the ball to Driver in OT. I thought about that for a long long time after that loss and at the end of the day that is the reason it happened.

Look at all the drops Jordy Nelson had in the Super Bowl and Rodgers was STILL throwing to him! That is team work! NEVER Give up on your guys! Bad memories back in SF a decade ago when Steve Young beat us with that Touchdown to Terrell Owens. T.O. had dropped so many passes in that game, and Young threw to him in the end and it resulted in a win for them.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at all the drops Jordy Nelson had in the Super Bowl and Rodgers was STILL throwing to him! That is team work! NEVER Give up on your guys! Bad memories back in SF a decade ago when Steve Young beat us with that Touchdown to Terrell Owens. T.O. had dropped so many passes in that game, and Young threw to him in the end and it resulted in a win for them.

ugh....that play should never have happened....but I digress

At the end of the Day Rodgers will be more revered in Green Bay than Favre. Not become of his accomplishments or stats, but because of who he is as a person. I believe he is my generations Bart Star, the classy guy in the room. The guy that everyone looks to for support and encouragement and leadership. He takes the leadership role not because of the ego trip, but because the guys around him ASKED him to and EARNED their respect.

Spriggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The huge difference I see between the two is that Favre got his teammates to believe in him while A-Rod gets his teammates to believe in themselves. Favre had his teammates convinced that he could rally them and win the game with his heroics. A-Rod has his teammates, whoever they are – starters or substitutes – believing that THEY can win the game.

This statement is something I can agree with. I'm sure McCarthy and the coaching staff also plays an important role with installing that type of confidence, but when you know Rodgers is playing at the level he is, it goes such a long way.

With Rodgers and the Claymaker on opposite ends of the ball, I thought the Packers would win a Super Bowl or two, but never would I have thought this would be their year with all the injuries.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back when Favre got traded I was a happy guy, but it was annoying listening to the knuckleheaded Favre fans grumble about TT. Brett threw away playoff games time and again, forcing the Pack to start all over from scratch again the next year. Aaron is not careless with the ball like his predecessor was.

I was so happy when TT started as GM because he drafted defense with his high picks. That really ticked Favre off. But we all know defense wins championships, not Brett Favre! (Reggie!)

I cannot forget walking with my family through Green Bay Botanical Gardens back in August, 2008. A 30 some year old woman stopped us and angrily explained that it will be at least five years till the Packers get back to the Super Bowl with Favre gone (both my boys where sporting new number Packer 12 jerseys at that time).

Three years later and the Packers are world champs again. I am so proud of them!

Sorry for the vent.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back when Favre got traded I was a happy guy, but it was annoying listening to the knuckleheaded Favre fans grumble about TT. Brett threw away playoff games time and again, forcing the Pack to start all over from scratch again the next year. Aaron is not careless with the ball like his predecessor was.

I was so happy when TT started as GM because he drafted defense with his high picks. That really ticked Favre off. But we all know defense wins championships, not Brett Favre! (Reggie!)

I cannot forget walking with my family through Green Bay Botanical Gardens back in August, 2008. A 30 some year old woman stopped us and angrily explained that it will be at least five years till the Packers get back to the Super Bowl with Favre gone (both my boys where sporting new number Packer 12 jerseys at that time).

Three years later and the Packers are world champs again. I am so proud of them!

Sorry for the vent.
Yeah, I want to go back to that 2008 Family Night, where there were thousands of Favre-Cultists who were taking their pathetic frustrations out on Aaron Rodgers.

The 11 and 15-year old punks who were making big posters saying things like "Boo Rodgers, we want Favre".... and all the adults who booed when Rodgers was introduced and any incomplete pass he threw.

I said some swear words that night to those people, but because I had my 5 & 6 year olds with me most of the time, I didn't let those bast*rds have it like I wanted to.

I have one of them in my extended family of many aunts. I fire things at her every chance I can get. Get this: the b*tch said in a family e-mail this week she thought Nick Collins, not Rodgers, deserved the Super Bowl MVP. What a c***.

I fired some things back to shut her up. Collins made one big play and has Howard Green to thank for it.

Rodgers game was one of the best 7 or 8 games ever by a QB in a Super Bowl, and he was flawless. Had he made just one mistake (one Int or fumble), we would have lost. Just like Favre always did.

I just wrote this, with my grumpy aunt in mind!
Why Aaron Rodgers is better than Brett Favre | Packers Insider

What do you think?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article. I think that Rogers, if he stays healthy, will lead the team to more Championships than the predecessor. Favre will be compared to Marino for his stats. Rogers will be compared to Starr and Montana for his Championships.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article. I think that Rogers, if he stays healthy, will lead the team to more Championships than the predecessor. Favre will be compared to Marino for his stats. Rogers will be compared to Starr and Montana for his Championships.
Thanks.
Rodgers. Not Rogers. :)
Spell Rodgers right, and Farve wrong LOL-

I like that though... let's hope Aaron's eventually compared to Montana as Super Joe won 4 rings.
And Brady's 3 ain't too shabby but I maintain that he's a tad overrated. Aikman with his 3 rings is way overrated.

Elway got 2. Favre, Steve Young, Peyton Manning just have one.

Am I greedy for wanting Rodgers to at least match Brady, and ideally surpass Super Bowl Joe? I mean if someone's gonna get to 5, why not Aaron?
How about 4 of the next 6 seasons, letting maybe Rivers get one and someone else!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best thing about Rodgers? He can throw a pick, come back and still have a good game. Favre throws one pick in the 1st quarter and I knew 3 more were coming at some point.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I want to go back to that 2008 Family Night, where there were thousands of Favre-Cultists who were taking their pathetic frustrations out on Aaron Rodgers.

The 11 and 15-year old punks who were making big posters saying things like "Boo Rodgers, we want Favre".... and all the adults who booed when Rodgers was introduced and any incomplete pass he threw.

I said some swear words that night to those people, but because I had my 5 & 6 year olds with me most of the time, I didn't let those bast*rds have it like I wanted to.

I have one of them in my extended family of many aunts. I fire things at her every chance I can get. Get this: the b*tch said in a family e-mail this week she thought Nick Collins, not Rodgers, deserved the Super Bowl MVP. What a c***.

I fired some things back to shut her up. Collins made one big play and has Howard Green to thank for it.

Rodgers game was one of the best 7 or 8 games ever by a QB in a Super Bowl, and he was flawless. Had he made just one mistake (one Int or fumble), we would have lost. Just like Favre always did.

I just wrote this, with my grumpy aunt in mind!

What do you think?

That was by far the worst "game" I have seen Rodgers play. I was full panic at that point as I knew it was Favres time to go and try and run someone elses team but Rodgers looked so bad I was really really worried.

Riley82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know arod had a good season in his 1st season he threw for 4000yds and nearly 30 td and a few rushing td/yards.
My point is Mike carlson a pundit in the uk said rodgers had a bad season in his 1st season.
Mike is a idiot who talks big but has never played NFL level he thinks he knows better than people like aikman and the others.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know arod had a good season in his 1st season he threw for 4000yds and nearly 30 td and a few rushing td/yards.
My point is Mike carlson a pundit in the uk said rodgers had a bad season in his 1st season.
Mike is a idiot who talks big but has never played NFL level he thinks he knows better than people like aikman and the others.
The team went 6-10 after almost making the Super Bowl the year before with Benedict, so naturally the uneducated pinned it all on Rodgers. Even though Aaron put up great numbers.

The defense and the special teams sucked. But the great that came from it was it got the DC Bob Sanders fired and Capers brought in!

Riley82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant stand mike carlson in the uk we get him in the studio on most of the broadcasts he talks rubbish.
He thinks he knows everything

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite uncle said it best I think. He has been watching the pack for 30 some years, long before I was even born. For the past couple years he has been one of the biggest anti TT and pro Favre people I knew. He still of course rooted for the Packers, but he was one of the guys who quietly rooted for Favre to do well with the Vikes. I never could agree with him in that aspect, but his rationale was "Favre did so much for Green Bay, I can't help but support him in whatever he does now", or something like that. Anyway, my point is that this season he had a change of heart. In the playoffs, after we crushed Atlanta he finally gave credit to Ted Thompson. Then once we were in the big game, he put it best by saying "ya know, Rodgers will never have the numbers Favre had. He'll never throw for as many touchdowns, or as many yards. He'll never have as many starts, or comeback wins. But he can and will win us more championships, and that's what really matters".

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When BF was at the GB helm, I often said that I would prefer Tom Brady over BF in "3rd and long with the game on the line!" I enjoyed the BF years but he was more apt to do something "freaking stupid" than win the game in the above scenario!

And don't we all have a delusional friend or relative in regards to BF's exit from GB. I have an aunt & friend who would sooner lick BF's jock clean than admit that TT/MM did the right thing. Sad but I'm taking the ARod route with them & keeping my opinions to myself. I think that the recent Super Bowl win said enough!

As for the world thinking that Packer Nation became a bunch of TT/MM haters....it couldn't be farther from the truth. Most of us realize that we are mere chihuahuas compared to elephants in terms of football knowledge; as compared to our GM & coaching staff! The best that we can do as fans is to support our team, keep discussions lively (no personal attacks on players, coaches, staff!) and keep our mouths shut when we don't know what we are talking about:)

Go Pack Go!