Why does Rodgers only want to throw to Adams?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my word, someone attempting to figure out how or why Gute wouldn't have picked a WR is not the same thing as believing the WR is top flight? Dearl Lord folks, you cannot be this unable to think on a topic.

He signed Funchess, took an equivalent of a late Day 3 adding Begelton and had ESB coming back...not too mention a Lazard and MVS no doubt folks hoped would continue growth in production. NOW being able to express this thought, doesn't mean someone feels we did enough - it is purely stating what he did and/or what he may have thought.

When a guy opts out (Funchess), ESB apparently NOT catching flight like many hoped, Lazard sustaining an injury, MVS continuing to be void of progression and Begelton to not be that flier taken that turned into something....I mean that is literally EVERYTHING going poorly in one position room in my opinion.

It is purely a myth that Gute did nothing for that room...the issue is most folks believe he didn't do enough and to an extent what he did do clearly were whiffs.

IMO I suspect the draft didn't come to us when it came to WRs in those rounds. In the first after those players Gute deemed worth a 1st were gone he moved up to take Love. Perhaps moving up there wasn't the best move because after that we didn't have any ammo to move up in subsequent rounds to address this position so the best WRs in later rounds were long gone when we picked so Gute took the BPA instead?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
IMO I suspect the draft didn't come to us when it came to WRs in those rounds. In the first after those players Gute deemed worth a 1st were gone he moved up to take Love. Perhaps moving up there wasn't the best move because after that we didn't have any ammo to move up in subsequent rounds to address this position so the best WRs in later rounds were long gone when we picked so Gute took the BPA instead?

This is what I think happened.

We won't ever know for sure, but I believe that Aiyuk was the last WR that they liked in the 1st round. After the 49ers moved up and nabbed him, they decided to just take a QB that they really value and get him in the pipeline.

And from Gute's own mouth, we know that there were two WR targets they had at the next pick, but they didn't fall, and a trade up didn't materialize.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we can manage to get Lazard back and keep him and Adams healthy, i have no problems with our WR's in this offense. I don't think having Adams, Lazard, Funchess is a bad 1-3. Sure it could be better, and it could be worse. But in this type of offense, I think it's perfectly acceptable to expect the offense to produce with that. and we've been doing it with less.

in the course of a season, things happen. Maybe you trade for Julio and he blows out an achilles.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
if we can manage to get Lazard back and keep him and Adams healthy, i have no problems with our WR's in this offense. I don't think having Adams, Lazard, Funchess is a bad 1-3. Sure it could be better, and it could be worse. But in this type of offense, I think it's perfectly acceptable to expect the offense to produce with that. and we've been doing it with less.

in the course of a season, things happen. Maybe you trade for Julio and he blows out an achilles.

Yeah, Lazard plays well enough in the system, and they use enough 2 receiver sets, that I think the offense should be fine with him and Adams. But that leaves them perilously thin.

If they could work a deal for a 3rd receiver in addition to getting Lazard back, I think they'd be in great position.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good to jump in here and see some new discussion on whether the Packers should have or still need to, improve their WR group. This topic seems destined to reach "Fire Capers" like proportions. I have to chuckle at some of the back peddling that is being done by a few posters concerning this WR group. With every game that goes by, I understand Rodgers frustration with the situation more and more.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Good to jump in here and see some new discussion on whether the Packers should have or still need to, improve their WR group. This topic seems destined to reach "Fire Capers" like proportions. I have to chuckle at some of the back peddling that is being done by a few posters concerning this WR group. With every game that goes by, I understand Rodgers frustration with the situation more and more.

I'm glad you've found something to laugh about. I know it's been hard for you that the offense has been so successful this year. But keep your fingers crossed!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I think happened.

We won't ever know for sure, but I believe that Aiyuk was the last WR that they liked in the 1st round. After the 49ers moved up and nabbed him, they decided to just take a QB that they really value and get him in the pipeline.

And from Gute's own mouth, we know that there were two WR targets they had at the next pick, but they didn't fall, and a trade up didn't materialize.

I concur Aiyuk was their last 1st round graded guy...
Played out again in the second when Mims went off the board...last guy they had a 2nd round grade on...

I only disagree on two guys, I had Pittman rated a 1st and was available when we picked...likewise I had Bryan Edwards rated a 2nd round grade and was there when we picked in the second....but honestly that is one guy each round...if we didn't like them it simply wasn't there and they went elsewhere following their draft board.

I'd go deeper into the draft but it gets much harder to predict and grade and honestly I wasn't confident in anyone after the 3rd round closed personally.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I personally think they did all they could to get Pittman or Mims in the 2nd...it just never materialized.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I concur Aiyuk was their last 1st round graded guy...
Played out again in the second when Mims went off the board...last guy they had a 2nd round grade on...

I only disagree on two guys, I had Pittman rated a 1st and was available when we picked...likewise I had Bryan Edwards rated a 2nd round grade and was there when we picked in the second....but honestly that is one guy each round...if we didn't like them it simply wasn't there and they went elsewhere following their draft board.

I'd go deeper into the draft but it gets much harder to predict and grade and honestly I wasn't confident in anyone after the 3rd round closed personally.

Yeah, I agree with you. I really liked Pittman and Edwards.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have to agree with @Pokerbrat2000, this WR group just is not totally fixed or deep enough.

You won't get any complaints from me about this ;)

Adams is the only WR that is currently on the Packers 53 that should still be on this team in 2021. Gute needs to stop stacking the WR room with late round and UDFA's that only have "potential". That might be fine for your 5th and 6th guys, but those top 4 guys should be ready to play NFL football.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's ease up alright?

Well I hit the ignore button on him so anything further he says to it will be discarded

But im sticking to what I said about fan opinion on the matter

It's proven fact, I got a ton of green check marks to back me up, and anyone who contradicts it is STUPID!!! I'm sticking to it and not ever changing my mind!!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hit the ignore button on him so anything further he says to it will be discarded

But im sticking to what I said about fan opinion on the matter

It's proven fact, I got a ton of green check marks to back me up, and anyone who contradicts it is STUPID!!! I'm sticking to it and not ever changing my mind!!

Oh my word...you are just a peach. Make crazy claims, unable to quote folks saying such claims...and get mad when others question you.

Forums are for conversing, discussions and even disagreements. If you cannot handle this perhaps ignoring the whole forum is the better course of action than ignoring any dissenting opinion or those that don't agree with you.

Literally laughed at the "I got a ton of green check marks to back me up" LOL

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh my word...you are just a peach. Make crazy claims, unable to quote folks saying such claims...and get mad when others question you.

Forums are for conversing, discussions and even disagreements. If you cannot handle this perhaps ignoring the whole forum is the better course of action than ignoring any dissenting opinion or those that don't agree with you.

I sense some Caps Lock domination in your future.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And again...

I AM NOT GOING TO CHANGE MY MIND!!!

Do I make myself clear?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Cue the rant about how [insert insulting title here] give him red x's because they can't handle his truth telling.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

But at least we`ll never have to replace Mason Crosby !

Members online

Latest posts