Why does Rodgers only want to throw to Adams?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some valid points, I think Rodgers attitude, which can unravel fast, can be a big factor in some of the blow out losses we have seen in the last year. Against the Bucs, he basically threw back to back pick 6's and was fuming. At one point he tried to throw a short screen to EQ, it was obvious EQ had no clue it was coming, Rodgers was visibly pissed. At that point he looked defeated and I think a lot of that rubbed off on the rest of the team. I don't see the need to get into another 40 page thread on Rodgers either, its a fact, he can get rattled and not surprisingly when it has happened, his game is off. All the reasons I have seen him get rattled...
  1. heavy pressure
  2. constantly getting hit/sacked
  3. OL not blocking well
  4. very little time to make decisions
  5. drops by his receivers
  6. receivers not getting open
  7. missed routes by his receivers
  8. not agreeing with his coach
Probably some I missed and 1-4 all have to do with what a great defense brings. What do you do when you run up against a really good defense? You can't tell them to stop rushing so hard, hitting your QB or covering your receivers. If your OL isn't playing well, and you can't pass block or run, you have to pick your poison, which usually is short quick passes that require a much quicker release of the ball and very little room for mistakes to win the game. If that is the case and you don't have a lot of receiving weapons, your chances go way down to beat that defense.

I remember having this opposite issue many years ago. We had great receivers, but our running game was never all that good. So when we ran up against a team with a good secondary, they sat back and dared us to run, which we couldn't do. If I am a DC, I am going to run blitz the hell out of Rodgers all game long and make him beat us with his arm and his receivers.

And 9/10 times Rodgers will shred them.

Tampa has a good defense. Two CB’s with very good physical traits, Winfield Jr is a stud, and two very fast and good LB’s. They’re a really good matchup for what GB likes to do. It obviously means something, but I wouldn’t write off GB’s offense bc of that game either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think we did run well against them when we ran at them and not trying to run at the edges or outside. i think we needed to be more patient and the offense would have worked within itself.

We played right into their hands. Instead we tried to take the lead with some big plays and then the defense gave up a score in no time going into the half, then coming out of the half and the route was on. Spent the rest of the game needing to get back into it fast. We're not built for that like we have been in the past.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was just a joke. Man. Carolina has to be one of the more over dramatic zero to 3,000 MPH over ever small thing that happens in the NFL posters we've had. I've seen teenaged girls use less charged language over the color of socks the various bandmates of Menudo were wearing vs. Micheal Jackson than he does.

I thought I was being funny, I realize i'm not usually, but I tried.

Michael Jackson? Menudo? Any teenage girls who were arguing about them are probably great grandmas by now. Just how the heck old are you anyway.

Just so no one gets upset now I was trying to be funny.

You won't get any complaints from me about this ;)

Adams is the only WR that is currently on the Packers 53 that should still be on this team in 2021. Gute needs to stop stacking the WR room with late round and UDFA's that only have "potential". That might be fine for your 5th and 6th guys, but those top 4 guys should be ready to play NFL football.

I disagree. I think Lazard has earned a chance and I was OK with the Funchess signing although him being off for almost two full years may hurt him next year. I'm not saying I necessarily want them as my #2 and #3 guys but as two of the other 5 or 6 WRs I'm Ok with that. Of course I would prefer it if Gute brought in the talent to relegate them to the #4 and #5 spots.

I absolutely agree that the stockpiling of late round picks and UDFAs and counting on them to develop is not the right approach.

As usual in this forum most people are just looking to argue even when they actually agree.

I disagree. I don't think they are.;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Michael Jackson? Menudo? Any teenage girls who were arguing about them are probably great grandmas by now. Just how the heck old are you anyway.

In fairness, he IS quite old !

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I disagree. I think Lazard has earned a chance and I was OK with the Funchess signing although him being off for almost two full years may hurt him next year. I'm not saying I necessarily want them as my #2 and #3 guys but as two of the other 5 or 6 WRs I'm Ok with that. Of course I would prefer it if Gute brought in the talent to relegate them to the #4 and #5 spots.

I absolutely agree that the stockpiling of late round picks and UDFAs and counting on them to develop is not the right approach.

I disagree. I don't think they are.;)
We have another baby coming within the month, I’m no baby, but I’m no grandpa either.

and I can’t be offended, I’m happy someone knew who I was talking about lol. But I have a specific memory of a classmate explaining the internal strife of their group of friends about Menudo and Micheal when I was in 5th grade lol.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Adams is on the field he don’t even go through his progression? He plays so much better without him on the field it’s astounding ? What does one do about this....

Trust, production.

Adams is an elite receiver.

The other guys....are not.

Adams gets open, makes the catch, and gets yards after the catch. He's extremely reliable, and makes the most of his God-given talent.

It makes sense to get the ball into the hands of your most talented, most productive receiver, does it not?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do people think WR's get 149 receptions in a year like Micheal Thomas? or in the 130's like Julio Jones has a couple times, or ABrown or 120+ like Calvin, Wes etc. Larry Fitzgerald doesn't get 100+ multiple years because he wasn't targeted more than others on his team.

And let's not act like Adams isn't worthy of the targets he gets. The guy is on that elite level, he deserves to the see the ball in all sorts of situations. Even forced ones.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I disagree. I think Lazard has earned a chance and I was OK with the Funchess signing although him being off for almost two full years may hurt him next year.

Lazard and Funchess are not currently on the 53, I wasn't talking about either.

Adams is the only WR that is currently on the Packers 53 that should still be on this team in 2021.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol ... that’s an easy statement to make when they have only faced one decent defense so far. I would like to be proven incorrect... but frankly it’s not about 1 game it’s about many plays within that game.... most of which proved ineffectual because the defense was able to shut them down.... Yeah the offensive line was also ineffective.... but the same guys did ok against a lesser defense in Houston. The whole team matters, but if Rodgers doesn’t have enough weapons, it makes it much easier for a defense to game plan a successful attack.

I think the game next week against San Fran (Although we should not look over the Vikings in any way) and other games such as Tennessee, Carolina, and Chicago, will give us a better gauge at where we are. I do think once Lazard returns we'll be fine though. But while we did get spanked by Tampa, I do put that more on Rodgers and the offense as they spotted them 14 points and we were doing pretty well in the beginning. Should we play them again, I don't expect another blowout of that margin.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good grief... he was messing with you... A moderator’s job is to be able to figure that out lol.
It certainly didn't seem that way, and I'll admit I'm not fully aware of everyone's level of sarcasm. But because I'm just now getting back, I'll just say sure whatever you say.

D

Deleted member 6794

But while we did get spanked by Tampa, I do put that more on Rodgers and the offense as they spotted them 14 points and we were doing pretty well in the beginning.

swhitset solely talked about the offense.

Should we play them again, I don't expect another blowout of that margin.

Nobody expected the Niners to blow out the Packers twice last season either.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Point taken, but do you see similarities to the Niners from last year?

I see similarities in that the Packers got blown out by an opponent in the regular season. It's anybody's guess what might happen if they meet again in the playoffs but the possibility of the result being the same is there.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see similarities in that the Packers got blown out by an opponent in the regular season. It's anybody's guess what might happen if they meet again in the playoffs but the possibility of the result being the same is there.
That's fair. I guess I'm banking on it not happening a second time, especially if we get them at home.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's fair. I guess I'm banking on it not happening a second time, especially if we get them at home.

That might make a difference although the Packers looked pretty vulnerable at home yesterday.

Joe C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Adams is on the field he don’t even go through his progression? He plays so much better without him on the field it’s astounding ? What does one do about this....
I disagree. The problem appears to be the inability of the other receivers, with the possible exception of Lazard, to consistently get separation. Aaron won’t put up 50/50 balls.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wouldn't surprise me if road teams are winning more games this season due to COVID and the lost advantage that a home crowd can give a team.

Home teams have a combined record of 60-58-1 (.508) this season. From 2010-19 they have been more successful playing in their own stadium (1447-1105-8, .567).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question on the beautiful catch in the endzone by Davante. It was a 3rd down play. The coverage on Adams was very good. He was not open in my opinion. Someone else said that there was someone wide open for a really easy first down and a good chunk of yardage. Does anyone know if that was true? If it was; I believe Aaron threw to the wrong man. And I worry that he too often throws it deep when there could have been good yardage made elsewhere. Not only to Adams. Tough to criticize a great QB but there you have it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to know where the heck Amish is? Barn raising's don't usually take this long. I hope he got sick of us or has some more kids to raise or something and not something else. I haven't seen him on here for a while

D

Deleted member 6794

I have a question on the beautiful catch in the endzone by Davante. It was a 3rd down play. The coverage on Adams was very good. He was not open in my opinion. Someone else said that there was someone wide open for a really easy first down and a good chunk of yardage. Does anyone know if that was true? If it was; I believe Aaron threw to the wrong man. And I worry that he too often throws it deep when there could have been good yardage made elsewhere. Not only to Adams. Tough to criticize a great QB but there you have it.

True, I hate it when Rodgers throws touchdown passes to Adams as well instead of targeting another receiver supposedly more open :rolleyes:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
True, I hate it when Rodgers throws touchdown passes to Adams as well instead of targeting another receiver supposedly more open :rolleyes:
Point was why throw an almost impossible completion, when there was an almost guarntee completion option

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know about that particular play but that has been the biggest knock against Rodgers for quite some time now.