Why do the Packers struggle to beat good teams?

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just said, "I assure you he is the same qb he was then." and now it's "All qbs are better in year 5 than year 1 baring injury. I'm suggesting he wasn't some unpolished stone."

It's hard to have discussions when you switch your stance mid discussion.

Sorry. I was assuming you had some common sense. My apologies. Apparently I have to spell everything out to you.

Watch this and get back to me:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thanks much

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of which have coaches not very well thought of. Of course, losing your starting qb hurts all teams. It hurts a lot less with the ones with great coaches. Look at reid in phili. remember him losing qb after qb and seeing almost no drop off? I guarantee you that if Fowles went down Phili currently wouldn't lose a step.

Fair point, but the packers backup wasn't very good anyway.

You are giving me a bunch of evidence that he's no worse than anyone else. Well, that same evidence can suggest he's no better either no?

Reid was 4-12 in his last season in Phili.

That same evidence can suggest he's no better. That is true.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry. I was assuming you had some common sense. My apologies.

Watch this and get back to me:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thanks much

Really shouldn't expect people to think that "he's the same QB" means something different.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reid was 4-12 in his last season in Phili.

That same evidence can suggest his no better. That is true.

His all time win percentage is 58%. Mccarthy's is 64%. Best qb he ever had was Donavan mcnabb. McCarthy had two guaranteed hall of famers back to back.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really shouldn't expect people to think that "he's the same QB" means something different.

Context matters. I suggested he wasn't built into a great qb. You arguing that he's better than before doesn't mean he wasn't "great" before. I'm arguing mountains, you are arguing molehills.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His all time win percentage is 58%. Mccarthy's is 64%. Best qb he ever had was Donavan mcnabb. McCarthy had two guaranteed hall of famers back to back.

Okay...I wasn't arguing who was the better coach. Just that Reid also had a drop off with a QB injury and bad QB play.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay...I wasn't arguing who was the better coach. Just that Reid also had a drop off with a QB injury and bad QB play.

And I'm not in love with Reid necessarily. I'm just suggesting that the qb going down doesn't have to be a complete disaster. Obviously the starter is a starter because he gives the team the best chance to win. Obviously it's a small sample size.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I consider the Panthers a "good" team. If we beat them Sunday, that changes everything. We'll be 5-2 and barring injury, I can see us going 12-4 from that point on.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I consider the Panthers a "good" team. If we beat them Sunday, that changes everything. We'll be 5-2 and barring injury, I can see us going 12-4 from that point on.

It's strange their defense has struggled so much. If they get back a pass rush they are a bad matchup given how physical they are. But it being at home, you have to be hopeful for a victory. Thankfully, as you point out, the rest of the packers schedule is pretty favorable this year.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's strange their defense has struggled so much. If they get back a pass rush they are a bad matchup given how physical they are. But it being at home, you have to be hopeful for a victory. Thankfully, as you point out, the rest of the packers schedule is pretty favorable this year.

Agree about being at home. Big advantage for the Packers in recent years.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm saying it's ridiculous to assume the run/pass balance has anything to do with Mccarthy not wanting Rodgers to be hit. What does running it an extra say 10 times a game result in? At best maybe 2 extra hits on Rodgers? You are telling me that Mccarthy is worried enough about an extra 2 hits a game that he feels compelled to run it more on first and second down? If so, he's even dumber than I think he is. I'm saying that you can convince me we don't have designed qb runs for the sake of Rodgers health, you can't convince me that we are running it more for that reason.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...pear-to-be-serious-b99370014z1-279088201.html

Mea culpa: McCarthy said that quarterback Aaron Rodgers took too many hits during the game and he blamed himself for not helping out his offensive tackles earlier.

The Dolphins were able to create one-on-one matchups with their two outstanding ends, Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon, and Rodgers was chased from both sides until McCarthy started to chip them with running backs and tight ends.

"I thought the protection was solid," McCarthy said. "Clearly, I understand the number of quarterback hits and the sacks that we gave up. There's some things that we had in the plan that I wish I would have did more of.

"We didn't chip as much in the first half as we did in the second half. Things like that. I thought they definitely jumped our silent count a few times."

He is aware and acknowledges he can do things to help

Not saying he runs more, but he does wants to limit the hits

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers is the same q/b now as he was in college? Is that someones claim?

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/can-quarterbacks-mechanics-be-altered

Rodgers himself admits he had to change his mechanics

"When I first got into the league, I held the ball really high. That was the standard in college, and it messed up my timing a bit -- the draw, bringing it back, then the release...

You’re taught to get back as deep as you can, but you can never throw the ball out on time when you do that."

Mechanical Changes Click For Rodgers
Under the tutelage of head coach McCarthy and quarterbacks coach Tom Clements, Rodgers pre-pass triangle set came down to between his numbers, consequently his motion became quicker, his power increased (also because of his cleaner footwork) and his timing improved. Now, Rodgers puts up video game numbers as he knifes through the heart of defenses with otherworldly throws.

Last edited:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it has been proven over and over again that most NFL coaches and OCs are too conservative. McCarthy is certainly in the majority because of that. I think chip Kelly has proven pretty clearly that the "that's the way everyone does it" doesn't necessarily make it the correct or best thing to do.

I remember Rodgers having exceptional preseasons. I also watched every play he played in college and I assure you he is the same qb he was then. This idea that Rodgers was built into what he is now is a complete fabrication. The guy was jesus in cleats the second he stepped on the cal campus.

Never have I suggested that we should be throwing it 80% of the time. I want a rush/pass balance. That means not running it 65% of the time on first down and make yourself predictable. Believe it or not, you can run it on other downs and maintain a 50/50 balance.

losing cred fast. that is ridiculous. if he was half the player he would have been taken well before the packers picked.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
losing cred fast. that is ridiculous. if he was half the player he would have been taken well before the packers picked.

Just like dan Marino sucked early in his career And in college too right? I mean he was drafted late. Yes some felt rodgers was a system qb which was pretty laughable. He had his famous wait in the green room on national tv for a reason. And it wasn't because anyone projected him to fall that far. I'm surprised packer fans don't know the story by now given how it's been told over and over and over and over again. Hell it's on his Wikipedia page that most people thought the 49ers were going to draft him #1 overall. So this is hardly secret information.

The packers drafted him for a reason. And it's not because they needed a qb. It was because they couldn't believe they would have the opportunity to draft anyone so talented. Once again this is widely known by most packers fans.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers is the same q/b now as he was in college? Is that someones claim?

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/can-quarterbacks-mechanics-be-altered

Rodgers himself admits he had to change his mechanics

Don't try to argue it guys. He'll probably claim that's not what he meant and you're taking him out of context, despite us going off his exact words and him going as far as calling Rodgers "Jesus in cleats" as soon as he got to Cal.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like dan Marino sucked early in his career And in college too right? I mean he was drafted late. Yes some felt rodgers was a system qb which was pretty laughable. He had his famous wait in the green room on national tv for a reason. And it wasn't because anyone projected him to fall that far. I'm surprised packer fans don't know the story by now given how it's been told over and over and over and over again. Hell it's on his Wikipedia page that most people thought the 49ers were going to draft him #1 overall. So this is hardly secret information.

The packers drafted him for a reason. And it's not because they needed a qb. It was because they couldn't believe they would have the opportunity to draft anyone so talented. Once again this is widely known by most packers fans.

You make less and less sense with every post.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes we all agree he was talented, please dont twist peoples words around..

Your claim is that he hasnt change since college, or is that not accurate?

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't try to argue it guys. He'll probably claim that's not what he meant and you're taking him out of context, despite us going off his exact words and him going as far as calling Rodgers "Jesus in cleats" as soon as he got to Cal.

You are just showing your ignorance. He was widely regarded as one of the best qbs in college football as a sophomore. The video I posted was him as a sophomore btw.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we all agree he was talented, please dont twist peoples words around..

Your claim is that he hasnt change since college, or is that not accurate?

He was great in college. I object to the widely held theory that he went from a marginal talent to the qb he is today under Maccarthy.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are just showing your ignorance. He was widely regarded as one of the best qbs in college football as a sophomore. The video I posted was him as a sophomore btw.

He was great in college. I object to the widely held theory that he went from a marginal talent to the qb he is today under Maccarthy.

We all know he was one of the best in college football, that's why he was a 1st rounder. That's providing nothing new to this discussion.

Nobody claims he wasn't talented in college. We're just claiming he's gotten better.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know he was one of the best in college football, that's why he was a 1st rounder. That's providing nothing new to this discussion.

Nobody claims he wasn't talented in college. We're just claiming he's gotten better.

Every qb gets better the first 5 years. You obviously think he got many many orders of magnitude better given the things you said about him early in his career.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

lol... now you are back to trying to reason with him? It's futile.

Members online

Latest posts