Why do the Packers struggle to beat good teams?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spent some time trying to think of the last time we had a victory against a playoff team(not counting playoff victories), and I couldn't think of one. So I decided to go back and look at our schedules and see when it was. The last time the Packers beat a playoff team was on December 2, 2012, with a 23-14 victory over the Vikings. That's a long time ago. In fact, since the start of the 2012 season, the Packers are 2-8 against other playoff teams(I'm including the loss to the Seahawks this year). That's terrible.

Why is this? My first thought was that it must be because Rodgers missed almost half of last season, but 7 of those loses came with Rodgers at the helm, the only exception being the loss to the Eagles last season. The two victories are against an unimpressive Vikings team and a statement victory over a solid, but not spectacular, 2012 Texans team. Do the Packers simply fold in the face of strong competition? It just seems a little sad that we had twice as many wins in the 2010 playoffs than we have had victories against playoff teams in the last two and a half years.

Last edited:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Interesting stat, Red. I think it reveals in black and white what many are saying: The Packers are a good team, but not elite/great.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can relate and feel frustrated myself at the recent playoff losing streak at Lambeau. And of course our losses to the 49ers when we used to dominate that team. And that's the way things go in the NFL. In waves. One year you got this team that's awesome and the next year it's a different team.
But you know what? We are fans and are cheering on a winning team which makes the losses a bit easier to bear because one day, one great day our team will win again and it will feel so awesome.
I really think or hope that they are going to be on a roll now. True, most of their wins are against non-playoff teams but maybe those weaker teams are just a warm up and will somehow help the Packers get ready for when they play against the stronger ones.
Have faith and stick with these guys and keep on cheering them on.
I believe that the Packers know about and will do all they can to keep their winning tradition alive.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I spent some time trying to think of the last time we had a victory against a playoff team(not counting playoff victories), and I couldn't think of one. So I decided to go back and look at our schedules and see when it was. The last time the Packers beat a playoff team was on December 2, 2012, with a 23-14 victory over the Vikings. That's a long time ago. In fact, since the start of the 2012 season, the Packers are 2-8 against other playoff teams(I'm including the loss to the Seahawks this year). That's terrible.

They beat the Vikings on Jan 5th of 2013 wildcard playoff game

You cant really use 2013 games when Rodgers was out..Which was only the Eagles game???

Let me see if i added these up, it is late so might be wrong

We are 0-4 vs Niners---this is like the Cowboys in the 90's for the Pack

We should be 1-1 vs Seahawks and not 0-2

Thats 0-6 (but should be 1-5)

We are 1-0 vs Texans 1-6 (should be 2-5)

2-1 vs Vikings

3-7 but should be 4-6 final record vs playoff teams

But regardless, your point is right...We should have a better record.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The simple fact is that we're not as good as the good teams, in spite of having a great QB. We're a finesse team in a bully league and unless we play like we did against Minny the rest of the year I don't see us going too far in the playoffs, if we get there at all.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers struggle to beat good teams ... because those teams are good? Sorry, couldn't help it. Seriously for (a sad) contrast look at 2010-2011 vs. 2012 and last season. These are the games the Packers won against the teams that made the playoffs in those seasons:
2010: 2 wins, 2 away @ Eagles; @Jets
2011: 6 wins, 3 away Broncos; Lions; Saints; @Giants; @Falcons; @Lions
2012: 3 wins, 2 away @Texans; @Seahawks*; Vikings

*Not only did the Packers play well enough to win, they did win.

Last edited:
OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The simple fact is that we're not as good as the good teams, in spite of having a great QB. We're a finesse team in a bully league and unless we play like we did against Minny the rest of the year I don't see us going too far in the playoffs, if we get there at all.

It was amazing how the defense was flying to the ball all game against the Vikings. Great tackling too. That is what a defense should look like. I was really impressed. I just hope it continues, although something inside me says otherwise.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you'll find a close correlation between the Packers' record versus winning teams in this league to the status of the team's defense.

Also the offensive line's match-up with top defensive fronts and their ability to run the ball on offense in those games.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers struggle to beat good teams ... because those teams are good? Sorry, couldn't help it. Seriously for (a sad) contrast look at 2010-2011 vs. 2012 and last season. These are the games the Packers won against the teams that made the playoffs in those seasons:
2010: 5 wins, 3 away @ Eagles; Vikings; @Jets; Cowboys; @Vikings

Sorry, TJV, but the Vikings and Cowboys didn´t make the playoffs in 2010, but we beat the Bears once during the regular season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry, TJV, but the Vikings and Cowboys didn´t make the playoffs in 2010, but we beat the Bears once during the regular season.
Thanks, fixed it - that was the playoffs the previous season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
2010: 2 wins, 2 away @ Eagles; @Jets

For 2010---couldnt we technically say Jets 1-0, Falcons 1-1, Eagles 1-0 , Bears 2-1, Steelers 1-0

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't minimize the 2012 win over the Texans. They were a pretty good team prior to 2013 and had just won the division title in 2011. In 2012 they came out like gang-busters again going 11-1 with their only loss to the Packers. They still ended up 12-4, won the division, and won their first-round playoff game. We beat a very good playoff team that was piling up lopsided wins, only to lose to us 24-42.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I count the game against Seattle as a win...Other then that we don't beat the elite teams when it counts. Have to find a way to beat San Francisco and Seattle (again) if we make the playoffs better believe one of those two will be waiting...i believe San francisco will turn things around...especially when they get Bowman back.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We struggle against physical team with a elite pass rush. We can still beat those types of teams sure, but it will take the ball bouncing our way a couple of times. Other words, its hard for us to line up and toe to toe those types of teams.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

Why is this? My first thought was that it must be because Rodgers missed almost half of last season, but 7 of those loses came with Rodgers at the helm, the only exception being the loss to the Eagles last season. The two victories are against an unimpressive Vikings team and a statement victory over a solid, but not spectacular, 2012 Texans team. Do the Packers simply fold in the face of strong competition? It just seems a little sad that we had twice as many wins in the 2010 playoffs than we have had victories against playoff teams in the last two and a half years.

The Packers are a very good team, just not a great one. There in short is your answer. Weak run defense poor tackling and thus far their offense is ranked a meager 22nd.

So there you have it.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are a very good team, just not a great one. There in short is your answer. Weak run defense poor tackling and thus far their offense is ranked a meager 22nd.

So there you have it.
Poor drafting. Limited or no Free Agency activity.

D

Deleted member 6794

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying though that Thompson missed on a lot of picks in 2011 and 2012 and our first-round picks since picking Matthews haven't produced any impact players (seems to me like Clinton-Dix could be the real deal though).
Dix looks great. I think will contribute more as the season evolves.

Other comments I agree with as well. If the philosophy is draft/develop, you better draft consistently.

Not sure what gives GB a top 8 status.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure what gives GB a top 8 status.
The article that Mklangelo provides a link to. But if that's the sole basis of his opinion where the Packers stand, he miscounted: They list the Packers as 9th. ;)

Pats, Titans, 49ers, Seahawks, Broncos, Saints, Ravens, Dolphins, Packers. Vikings 18th, Lions 26th, and Bears dead last.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The article that Mklangelo provides a link to. But if that's the sole basis of his opinion where the Packers stand, he miscounted: They list the Packers as 9th. ;)
I opened the link--Just don't understand the rating criteria.

Hope that GB comes out quickly tomorrow. Would like to see three straight games without the need for some late game heroics.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pats, Titans, 49ers, Seahawks, Broncos, Saints, Ravens, Dolphins, Packers. Vikings 18th, Lions 26th, and Bears dead last.

I really think a rating system ranking the Titans at second and the Dolphins ahead of us is flawed. Taking solely PFF stats into consideration and ignoring team success doesn't make any sense.