Why do the Packers struggle to beat good teams?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone struggles to beat good teams. if they didn't, they wouldn't be good teams. they would be bad teams.

:tdown:

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone struggles to beat good teams. if they didn't, they wouldn't be good teams. they would be bad teams.

yeah even just looking at last year the teams in the conference championship Seattle and SF were 2-2 and 2-4 against playoff teams during the reg season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heh, yeah, ain't it the truth. I mean, when we look at the schedule when it comes out and try to figure out the potential losses, they're all against good teams, right?

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're a better team than 2013 if Rodgers plays the majority of the season and Peppers making a difference just by his presence alone. That being said, it's still the same defensive scheme it's been the last few years. Better players help, but I'm still not sold on Capers being the long term answer at DC. Part of me feels he's still the teams DC only because of his massive contract more than consistent play.

Teams with defenses like ours this season who feast on turnovers during the regular season but can't get consistent stops when the other team isn't making mistakes tend not to make deep playoff runs. That was a big problem with Sherman's Packers and the carousel of DC's he had.

If this team can be 12-4 come season end and at least have a first round bye, I think they've got as good a shot as any out of our conference at making the Super Bowl. If they're a WC team, I'm not sold on them going on the road and getting out of the divisional round right now.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because they don't throw enough on 1st and 2nd downs.
If we had done more of that against a mediocre team such as Miami, it wouldn't have come down to a nail biter.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Its not all just the players. I think the play calling is just horrific for 75% of the games. Predictable is what it boils down to. I can almost call the damn plays before they happen....i try to, and i am correct more times than not....our formations and personnel on the field give it away to easily.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I can almost call the damn plays before they happen....i try to, and i am correct more times than not....our formations and personnel on the field give it away to easily.
I'm not buying that for a second. How about putting that to the test in real time. And BTW, you aren't just talking about calling "run" or "pass", are you?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because they don't throw enough on 1st and 2nd downs.
If we had done more of that against a mediocre team such as Miami, it wouldn't have come down to a nail biter.

Same reply as in other thread:

Where does the run, run perception keep coming from? And how it is automatically bad just by doing it?

Happened two weeks and someone pointed out they went run, run, pass on only 9/22 series.

I don't remember much of that today, so I looked through the play by play to confirm. Here are the number of times they started a series with run, run:

1st quarter: 3
2nd quarter: 2
3rd quarter: 1
4th quarter: 0
Total: 6/29 (Excluded the kneel to end the half and entire last drive as doing as doing run, run was not on option then.)

And out of those 6, they picked up the first down on 4 of those series. In other words, in only 2/27 series did they do run, run and it didn't work out for them.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When the Packers Def get a turn over that gives the offense the ball at the opponents 30, our great "Off needs to get more than 11 yards

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Its not all just the players. I think the play calling is just horrific for 75% of the games. Predictable is what it boils down to. I can almost call the damn plays before they happen....i try to, and i am correct more times than not....our formations and personnel on the field give it away to easily.

Do you go to chat during games and call the plays?

We have people claiming they can call the plays, but I have never seen it happen in chat.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
When the Packers Def get a turn over that gives the offense the ball at the opponents 30, our great "Off needs to get more than 11 yards
To LTF's point, this is a quote from a good article which talks about how Philbin's knowledge of the Packers helped the Miami D. "After the first touchdown, Miami held the offense to drives of 5, 31, 11, 11 and 20 yards."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/joe-philbin-helps-miami-create-havoc-in-the-trenches-vs-packers-b99369606z1-278967561.html
The article goes into some detail about what Miami was doing to challenge the Packers' OL.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Hope that GB comes out quickly tomorrow. Would like to see three straight games without the need for some late game heroics.

Actually, GB did come out quickly. But, they still needed late game heroics...!

D

Deleted member 6794

To LTF's point, this is a quote from a good article which talks about how Philbin's knowledge of the Packers helped the Miami D. "After the first touchdown, Miami held the offense to drives of 5, 31, 11, 11 and 20 yards."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/joe-philbin-helps-miami-create-havoc-in-the-trenches-vs-packers-b99369606z1-278967561.html
The article goes into some detail about what Miami was doing to challenge the Packers' OL.

I already read that article earlier today, was interesting to read what the Dolphins did to prevent the Packers from double-teaming Wake and Vernon. If teams continue to do that over the course of the season I hope Bakhtiari and Bulaga will be able to improve blocking DEs one-on-one.

Reaction score
I wish the Packers would play their best game every game, but thats just not reality. I don't know if it's just the NFC North or every division, but it seems like you never know which team is going to show up for the game. Is each team going to bring the "A" game or is the evil twin going to show. I'll just take the win whenever possible!

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just look at yesterday and see all the problems this offense has against a decent pass rush. Now swap tannihill for Russell Wilson or Colin Kappernick and what is yesterday's outcome? Until the packers improve line play (both offensively and defensively) it will take matchups in the playoffs of unbelievable lucky proportions for them to win a title.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Even Rodgers seems annoyed by McCarthy calling running plays on first and second down every time. I get trying to establish the run, but you shouldn't' make it obvious for the defense and it's not as though your qb sucks.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just look at yesterday and see all the problems this offense has against a decent pass rush. Now swap tannihill for Russell Wilson or Colin Kappernick and what is yesterday's outcome? Until the packers improve line play (both offensively and defensively) it will take matchups in the playoffs of unbelievable lucky proportions for them to win a title.

If it was Russell Wilson or Colin Kappernick we know we need to score more going in so it's an entirely different approach. I don't disagree completely with you but I do think every fan base kind of thinks their team is "the" worst at something. We did in fact stop them at the goal line on 4 plays. As bad as the defense has been, it's been good enough at times for us to win games.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was Russell Wilson or Colin Kappernick we know we need to score more going in so it's an entirely different approach. I don't disagree completely with you but I do think every fan base kind of thinks their team is "the" worst at something. We did in fact stop them at the goal line on 4 plays. As bad as the defense has been, it's been good enough at times for us to win games.

I'd imagine we were trying to score more than we did. Not trying to be an ***, but that's kind of a strange argument.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Rodgers seems annoyed by McCarthy calling running plays on first and second down every time. I get trying to establish the run, but you shouldn't' make it obvious for the defense and it's not as though your qb sucks.

The play call I will never-EVER understand, and McCarthy often pulls this, is first and goal from the 9 or 8 yard-line. Yesterday he did this as he often does. He runs right up the middle on first and goal from the 9!

That just makes no sense! Short of scoring or getting all they way to the 1 yard line, it's a wasted play! ...and the chances of him scoring or gaining 8 yards on the play against a great run defense is minimal to say the least! What always happens is we get one or two yards and now we have even less room to work! I can not stand when he pulls that crap. Now it's second and goal from the 6 or 7 and they know damn well you are passing!

I give McCarthy credit for making sure teams know we're going to run the ball. Teams can't cheat on us...but I don't get some of the times he chooses to do it. The other time he runs 90% of the time is after a turn-over. I hate that also. Most coaches like to get the other team on their heals after a turn-over and give a knock-out punch. Not Mac. He usually runs.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play call I will never-EVER understand, and McCarthy often pulls this, is first and goal from the 9 or 8 yard-line. Yesterday he did this as he often does. He runs right up the middle on first and goal from the 9!

That just makes no sense! Short of scoring or getting all they way to the 1 yard line, it's a wasted play! ...and the chances of him scoring or gaining 8 yards on the play against a great run defense is minimal to say the least! What always happens is we get one or two yards and now we have even less room to work! I can not stand when he pulls that crap. Now it's second and goal from the 6 or 7 and they know damn well you are passing!

I give McCarthy credit for making sure teams know we're going to run the ball. Teams can't cheat on us...but I don't get some of the times he chooses to do it. The other time he runs 90% of the time is after a turn-over. I hate that also. Most coaches like to get the other team on their heals after a turn-over and give a knock-out punch. Not Mac. He usually runs.

him waiving the white flag in the redzone is a McCarthy staple. You have the qb with the lowest int redzone percentage in NFL history, yet you don't throw it on first down ever?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd imagine we were trying to score more than we did. Not trying to be an ***, but that's kind of a strange argument.

no...it's not. Mike McCarthy very much coaches like Holmgren did. They coach to the odds big-time. They're going to take what people give them and play the percentages. It's exactly why he would go for it on 4th and 10 at mid-field yesterday.

I wasn't making an argument. I was stating a fact. McCarthy is going to call the game a little differently depending on how many points he thinks the other team will score and who is there QB is a major factor in that.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
him waiving the white flag in the redzone is a McCarthy staple. You have the qb with the lowest int redzone percentage in NFL history, yet you don't throw it on first down ever?

My "fear" is that Rodgers also believes that and will start forcing throws. I thought there was one on third down yesterday that he got away with that was very non-Rodgerslike. It was pretty clear that Mac and Rodgers were not on the same page yesterday.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no...it's not. Mike McCarthy very much coaches like Holmgren did. They coach to the odds big-time. They're going to take what people give them and play the percentages. It's exactly why he would go for it on 4th and 10 at mid-field yesterday.

I wasn't making an argument. I was stating a fact. McCarthy is going to call the game a little differently depending on how many points he thinks the other team will score and who is there QB is a major factor in that.

Then he's an idiot. He has a qb that doesn't turn the ball over. In that situation, your goal is to score as many points as possible until the game is out of hand. Then you can go conservative. The only rational argument to run it on first and second down constantly is you are afraid of turnovers. I'd argue it's more likely we see a turnover by a rb than Rodgers.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My "fear" is that Rodgers also believes that and will start forcing throws. I thought there was one on third down yesterday that he got away with that was very non-Rodgerslike. It was pretty clear that Mac and Rodgers were not on the same page yesterday.

I doubt he's going to change the way he's played his entire life.

Members online

Latest posts