Who's Your Sleeper?

D

Deleted member 6794

but yea, im stuck in da woods with very little service. i meant to gush over ringo earlier. he really impressed me on paper. i think he could come in as an after thought, and earn a starting job opposite daniels by next year. strong, quick, 300 pound rookie de's always interest me. but he seems better than most.

Ringo could turn into a nice inside pass rusher in subpackages but he's not stout enough defending the run to be a starter in the base defense.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the fun of following training camp is guessing what player most people never heard of will perform well enough to make the team.

The most important part of any discussion is definition. The greatest/worst anything, most over- or under-rated anything, all start with what is meant by that designation. This thread was started with the above caveat. If you want to talk about (for instance) Randall or Rollins coming in with little experience at the position and turning into a shut-down corner in their first year, it'd be interesting, but we know people have heard of them and that they will make the team. As the threads lengthen, the original concept often gets shoved aside.

H

HardRightEdge

The most important part of any discussion is definition. The greatest/worst anything, most over- or under-rated anything, all start with what is meant by that designation. This thread was started with the above caveat. If you want to talk about (for instance) Randall or Rollins coming in with little experience at the position and turning into a shut-down corner in their first year, it'd be interesting, but we know people have heard of them and that they will make the team. As the threads lengthen, the original concept often gets shoved aside.
Questioning the relevance of that definition, i.e., a player who makes the team but not the field, should be viewed as a valid consideration in the context of this thread, even if you don't agree with the point.

H

HardRightEdge

Ringo could turn into a nice inside pass rusher in subpackages but he's not stout enough defending the run to be a starter in the base defense.
Ringo is 6'1" 293; Daniels is 6' and weighed in at 291 at the Combine. You never know; he could play some snaps at base DE. The D-Line will be so thin to start the year, somebody from the bottom of the depth chart will get some snaps. Or Ringo could stink it up and get cut. We await preseason (or at least some full-contact reports from camp).

I really don't know that much about him; I mentioned him only because some posters were looking for a Daniels lookalike.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ringo is 6'1" 293; Daniels is 6' and weighed in at 291 at the Combine. You never know; he could play some snaps at base DE. The D-Line will be so thin to start the year, somebody from the bottom of the depth chart will get some snaps. Or Ringo could stink it up and get cut. We await preseason (or at least some full-contact reports from camp).

I really don't know that much about him; I mentioned him only because some posters were looking for a Daniels lookalike.

The only thing I knew about Ringo before taking another look at College Football Focus was that he led all FBS interior defenders in pass rush productivity last season. I was surprised to see him ranked ninth in run stop percentage as well.

While I get that he didn't face elite competition in the Sun Belt Conference there's no denying he dominated within those games.

H

HardRightEdge

The only thing I knew about Ringo before taking another look at College Football Focus was that he led all FBS interior defenders in pass rush productivity last season. I was surprised to see him ranked ninth in run stop percentage as well.

While I get that he didn't face elite competition in the Sun Belt Conference there's no denying he dominated within those games.
Yes, the competition is highly suspect in the Sun Belt. Troy has produced players with some regularity. I think Troy is kinda like Kent St. (or least how Kent St. used to be)...they sign up troubled but talented players that the big colleges pass by. Louisiana-Lafayette produced at least one other draftee this year and a couple in 2012.

One thing I like to see in college players is a performance ramp showing progression right through the senior year (or junior year if they come out early). That indicates there could be more upside into the NFL. If a guy tops out in his junior year (unless it's at so high a level there's little headroom for him at the college level or an injury explanation), that's a red flag. I think this is especially important in low-tier conferences players because the college-to-NFL jump is so big.

Anyhow, it sounds like Ringo was on an uptrend throughout his college years, so that's something.

Ringo seems to qualify on that score anyway.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Questioning the relevance of that definition, i.e., a player who makes the team but not the field, should be viewed as a valid consideration in the context of this thread, even if you don't agree with the point.

Disagree, but that the heck, it's a couple of more weeks until training camp. My thought is that if I start a thread and asked who the greatest Packer is, defining the possibilities as anyone not wearing #12, you don't get to offer AR as a choice. But, that's what makes for discussion.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Weird that players who are troubled off the field, go onto produce them at an elite level on it. It is always that way.

H

HardRightEdge

My thought is that if I start a thread and asked who the greatest Packer is, defining the possibilities as anyone not wearing #12, you don't get to offer AR as a choice.
Starting a thread bestows no right of ownership nor control of the topic. That someone doesn't think Rodgers is the greatest Packer, whether currently or all time...you were not very specific...that would be relevant, but your "rules" would prevent that opinion from being heard.

As always, an issue can always be called into question as irrelevant.

I heard a few voices telling me the free agency issues leading up to 2017 that I highlighted were variously masterbatory (while posting another 2017 projection, no less) or irrelevant in their unpredictability, even if that was precisely the topic of the thread.

I have 100% no problem with those on-topic posts, even if those posters' conclusions were shallow and lacking in detailed consideration. ;)

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I suppose it is inevitable that threads evolve and take on a life of their own. Still, I don't think that someone who is virtually assured a roster spot by virtue of their draft status satisfies most people's definition of a "sleeper".

Last year Jayrone Elliott was a guy most fans were unfamiliar with before he turned heads in the pre-season. Where he goes from here is yet to be seen. Sam Shields played behind Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams his rookie season when he made the team as an undrafted free agent, playing mostly nickel. Now he is our highest-paid corner. So "the sleeper" doesn't have to be a day-one superstar, he just has to make the squad. If he has what it takes and perseveres, good things may come later on. Now better example of that than Donald Driver.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i consider a sleeper being someone who will excede expectations. rollins is a sleeper if he comes out and plays like revis... or a couple wrs go down, and janis or montgomery become rodgers go to target. despite round drafted, or being a rookie. will they come off the couch and become household names?

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rollins comes out and plays like revis
Good call! ;) I don't know how long it'll take him, maybe a year or so, but I think Rollins is going to make a ton of plays before his career is over. Loosest hips in the draft.

You can talk about who he's faced (or not), but you play one year of college football and Ted Thompson takes you in the 2nd round after already picking a DB in the first? We all know Ted owns the 2nd round...

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to keep an eye on Ricky Collins. I doubt he makes the team do to the depth at WR. I hope he makes practice squad, I'm thinking he will be on another team and is a success.

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to keep an eye on Ricky Collins. I doubt he makes the team do to the depth at WR. I hope he makes practice squad, I'm thinking he will be on another team and is a success.
There are a few UDFA receivers to pick from. As you say jet they're probably all PS/developmental candidates because of the deep talent pool ahead of them. Pinkard's the guy I like. I think he has the talent but has some character flags of unspecified nature. He was dismissed from Old Dominion for "violation of team rules." Coxson and Hunt look like they have some skills too. Hunt's not a burner but man he can go up and get the ball in traffic.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Matt Rotheram. OK, who picks a G for a sleeper? :coffee: He may not have a big impact this year, but I like his size, skill set and versatility to play any spot on the line. I think Matt will not only make the team, but somewhere down the road will be a starter and a great player.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose it is inevitable that threads evolve and take on a life of their own. Still, I don't think that someone who is virtually assured a roster spot by virtue of their draft status satisfies most people's definition of a "sleeper".

Last year Jayrone Elliott was a guy most fans were unfamiliar with before he turned heads in the pre-season. Where he goes from here is yet to be seen. Sam Shields played behind Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams his rookie season when he made the team as an undrafted free agent, playing mostly nickel. Now he is our highest-paid corner. So "the sleeper" doesn't have to be a day-one superstar, he just has to make the squad. If he has what it takes and perseveres, good things may come later on. Now better example of that than Donald Driver.
Good points all. We can look at this from another angle - out of the UDFAs and late round (5 and beyond), who is the sleeper here? For example, Corey Linsley was a sleeper last year. He performed the way you'd expect a pro-bowl C to perform. With all that said, I still like John Crockett. Just making the team and getting a low but fair share of snaps and producing would put him in sleeper territory.

It is by nature a subjective choice as we have so little pro-level experience with sleeper candidates. But hey that's what makes them sleepers! This is all conjecture on my part. I make no other claims other than its fun to have this discussion now, and come back after the season to assess everyone's sleeper choices.

D

Deleted member 6794

i would agree. but he could be better than jones. should raji or guion not get a offer next year.

Ringo would for sure not be able replace Raji at the nose. There's a possibilty he could turn into a decent defensive end but first of all I would be fine with him
providing some pass rush in subpackages.

Good call! ;) I don't know how long it'll take him, maybe a year or so, but I think Rollins is going to make a ton of plays before his career is over. Loosest hips in the draft.

You can talk about who he's faced (or not), but you play one year of college football and Ted Thompson takes you in the 2nd round after already picking a DB in the first? We all know Ted owns the 2nd round...

Let's keep a sense of proportion here. Rollins is a very talented cornerback but extremely raw. Comparing him to Revis at this point is waaaaay too premature.

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's keep a sense of proportion here. Rollins is a very talented cornerback but extremely raw. Comparing him to Revis at this point is waaaaay too premature.
Really? I was just trying to have a little fun with Eli. The mis-quoted comparison at this point is so ridiculous I didn't actually think anyone would take it seriously.

D

Deleted member 6794

Really? I was just trying to have a little fun with Eli. The mis-quoted comparison at this point is so ridiculous I didn't actually think anyone would take it seriously.

Well, tough to get sarcasm on a message board. I've read more ridiculous stuff on forums like this one.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wimm. i was thinking more if raji wasnt resigned, and guion would be the nt next in line. leaving open the de spot.

and rollins has a beard like revis... deny that!:)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My sleeper is Rajon Neal. Tough to have many opportunities in the backfield but if he is healthy... he was impressing me in the pre-season last year. He may get some chances.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was tempted to pick him too. The competition at WR this year will be fierce, so he faces long odds. I do think he has a shot at the PS if nothing else.