Who's Your Sleeper?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the fun of following training camp is guessing what player most people never heard of will perform well enough to make the team. My player to watch this year is going to be DT Lavon Hooks. Reports are the Packers are high on him, and he has been given reps with the second unit defense.

So, Packer fans, who's your guy to watch?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I like both of your picks for sleepers and it certainly makes sense both play D. I don't have a sleeper in mind but love to see them emerge in TC and preseason. So here's an anti-sleeper I'm very interested in: Damarious Randall. The reason I'm bringing him up is I have been meaning to make this point: Because of the questions about him being able to play outside, he hasn't been mentioned in a positive light much here.

It's just possible Thompson and the Packers knew what they were doing. One of the analysts I respect is Mike Mayock. Here's what he had to say about Randall:
"Randall is what today's free safety is all about. He is by far the best cover safety in this draft. Randall can play man-to-man; he has cornerback-level cover skills. You give up some physicality, but his coverage ability is where the NFL is going. Remember Jimmie Ward was a first-rounder last year (to the 49ers) with a similar skill set."
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/damarious-randall?id=2552389

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My pick is Jake Ryan. Considering he was drafted in the 4th round I think I can still sneak him in as a sleeper...right?
I for one think he has more athleticism than many folks are giving him credit for. Part of my picking him is based on my desire to have someone solidify the spot by SamBar so Claymaker can do what he does best. Kill QB's. With all that said I do believe this kid has what it takes to step in and raise the level of play we have been getting from the ILB's for some time now. I think the Hawk comparison is lazy at best. He is white and played in the Big 10 so he just has to be AJ2.0, right?! Not in my mind. He is an underrated athlete with a great football IQ. I am not saying he will be a Day One starter but I do think by as early as WK4 he could begin to make his presence felt. The kid can play ball and is going to end up surprising a lot of people.

My second choice would be Ladarius Gunter. He's not fast but the kid makes plays. He has multiple position flexibility which will buy him some good will and could end up making some waves.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like both of your picks for sleepers and it certainly makes sense both play D. I don't have a sleeper in mind but love to see them emerge in TC and preseason. So here's an anti-sleeper I'm very interested in: Damarious Randall. The reason I'm bringing him up is I have been meaning to make this point: Because of the questions about him being able to play outside, he hasn't been mentioned in a positive light much here.

It's just possible Thompson and the Packers knew what they were doing. One of the analysts I respect is Mike Mayock. Here's what he had to say about Randall:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/damarious-randall?id=2552389

It´s pretty obvious the Packers drafted Randall to compete for the starting corner spot opposite of Shields. Hopefully he will have a better rookie season than Jimmie Ward.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My pick is Jake Ryan. Considering he was drafted in the 4th round I think I can still sneak him in as a sleeper...right?
I for one think he has more athleticism than many folks are giving him credit for. Part of my picking him is based on my desire to have someone solidify the spot by SamBar so Claymaker can do what he does best. Kill QB's. With all that said I do believe this kid has what it takes to step in and raise the level of play we have been getting from the ILB's for some time now. I think the Hawk comparison is lazy at best. He is white and played in the Big 10 so he just has to be AJ2.0, right?! Not in my mind. He is an underrated athlete with a great football IQ. I am not saying he will be a Day One starter but I do think by as early as WK4 he could begin to make his presence felt. The kid can play ball and is going to end up surprising a lot of people.

My second choice would be Ladarius Gunter. He's not fast but the kid makes plays. He has multiple position flexibility which will buy him some good will and could end up making some waves.

I wouldn't classify Ryan as a sleeper, since as a fourth round pick he's a virtual lock to make the squad (last year's fourth rounder Carl Bradford is still with the team, and if he did anything at all, I missed it). I do agree though that Ryan has a chance to be an impactful player this season, and might be a long-term solution at ILB. The opportunity is certainly there and he had a solid career at Michigan against some fairly high-level competition. He's certainly worth keeping an eye on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Last year's fourth rounder Carl Bradford is still with the team, and if he did anything at all, I missed it.

Bradford didn't play a single snap last season and if I recall correctly wasn't even active for a single game last season. Ryan will get a chance to compete for some playing time when Matthews moves outside.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bradford didn't play a single snap last season and if I recall correctly wasn't even active for a single game last season. Ryan will get a chance to compete for some playing time when Matthews moves outside.

I would think Bradford, along with Khyri Thornton, will be on a shorter leash this year. If they don't show us something in camp/pre-season, they could be looking for work elsewhere.

Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...15/05/09/keep-eye-undrafted-rookies/27063547/

I'm gonna go Tavarus Dantzler. He reminds me of a smaller, young KGB. He's disruptive BEHIND the LOS, he's athletic enough to play inside if needed and he has the natural instinct of a heat seeking missile that can finish tackles in the open field (good wing span)
If he transitions to this level, he's gonna be another playmaker somewhere.

Last edited:

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't classify Ryan as a sleeper, since as a fourth round pick he's a virtual lock to make the squad (last year's fourth rounder Carl Bradford is still with the team, and if he did anything at all, I missed it). I do agree though that Ryan has a chance to be an impactful player this season, and might be a long-term solution at ILB. The opportunity is certainly there and he had a solid career at Michigan against some fairly high-level competition. He's certainly worth keeping an eye on.
He wouldn't really be a sleeper I suppose but 4th round is still "maybe" territory. Certainly he makes the team. If he becomes an every-down player as Linsley did last year AND excels to the level Linsley did, that would make him a sleeper pick I suppose.

My sleeper is John Crockett. It will be a stretch if he makes the roster and then an even bigger stretch if he makes a big impact. The latter only happens if Lacy and/or Starks are forced to miss playing time. I do think he could ultimately replace Starks next year.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wouldn't really be a sleeper I suppose but 4th round is still "maybe" territory. Certainly he makes the team. If he becomes an every-down player as Linsley did last year AND excels to the level Linsley did, that would make him a sleeper pick I suppose.

My sleeper is John Crockett. It will be a stretch if he makes the roster and then an even bigger stretch if he makes a big impact. The latter only happens if Lacy and/or Starks are forced to miss playing time. I do think he could ultimately replace Starks next year.

I've heard a lot of good things about Crockett, he could turn out to be a steal.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...15/05/09/keep-eye-undrafted-rookies/27063547/

I'm gonna go Tavarus Dantzler. He reminds me of a smaller, young KGB. He's disruptive BEHIND the LOS, he's athletic enough to play inside if needed and he has the natural instinct of a heat seeking missile that can finish tackles in the open field (good wing span)

Jermauria Rasco from LSU

They're is going to be a lot of competition at both ILB and OLB this summer, and Dantzler is as good a bet as anyone to make an impression. Might be a practice squad guy this year, maybe more. Jermauria Rasco is another one. Going to be an exciting August.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to watch Hooks closely. I'm rooting for him big time. Opportunity is knocking for him and I still don't trust Raji

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think janis will take a big jump. also richard rodgers will become a high end te for us this year. chamura-esque.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dantzler is an inside linebacker while KGB played DE. He will be one of the guys getting a chance to make the roster at the weakest position on the team.

Jermauria Rasco from LSU

I highly doubt Rasco will even make it to the Packers practice squad.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think janis will take a big jump. also richard rodgers will become a high end te for us this year. chamura-esque.

I hope Rodgers can improve his blocking and become a Jason Witten-type of all-around Tight End. He had a solid rookie season, I hope to see him expand on that.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Rodgers can improve his blocking and become a Jason Witten-type of all-around Tight End. He had a solid rookie season, I hope to see him expand on that.
see rodgers goung down the seam, deep. big tree trunk legs that have noticable power above and beyond the norm. he was a rookie, and without quarless for a bit... he will break out big time. i think.
i always watch young dlinemen. hooks has the destructive, quick,

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hooks has the destructive, quick, low bowling ball body type. reminds me of what i thought when daniels was drafted in the 5th a few years back. good pick.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think quinten Rollins is gonna be the gem in this draft class yeah only played one yr but he is gonna be a ball hawk! I'm most excited about him and his background story is impressive!

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think quinten Rollins is gonna be the gem in this draft class yeah only played one yr but he is gonna be a ball hawk! I'm most excited about him and his background story is impressive!

I like Rollins too, but I'm not sure a 2nd-round pick qualifies as a "sleeper". The expectations for him are fairly high.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts