Who's Your Sleeper?

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My sleeper is Ty Montgomery. This guy could be a difference maker on ST and could be an effective slot receiver.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose you are right about that but another guy I'm super high on and love is mr Elliott he was awesome in preseason and when he was in the game vs mn last yr he hurried bridgewater a lot I really think he is gonna be a probowler like a kgb kinda guy u mark my words he is gonna be great!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

I suppose you are right about that but another guy I'm super high on and love is mr Elliott he was awesome in preseason and when he was in the game vs mn last yr he hurried bridgewater a lot I really think he is gonna be a probowler like a kgb kinda guy u mark my words he is gonna be great!!!

Elliott was absolutely great during last year's preseason but he had only a single pressure in the regular season vs. Tampa Bay.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am between Gunter and Crockett for my sleeper.....we shall see.

Gunter is intriguing, but it's going to be a crowded field battling for cornerback. Perhaps the Pack will stash him on the practice squad this year.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elliott was absolutely great during last year's preseason but he had only a single pressure in the regular season vs. Tampa Bay.

It's always interesting to see if a guy can take the next step after his rookie year. Some guys do (Micah Hyde), some guys plateau (Dezman Moses), and some guys disappear (BJ Coleman). let's hope Elliott is in the first group.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good things about Crockett, he could turn out to be a steal.
Yeah I think so too. I like his passion and heart. Most lesser men would have packed it in after an injury. Crockett didn't. Certainly that has to turn into production in TC and PS games, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. One more quality back to spell Lacy and keep him healthy is ok with me. And I do think Starks is gone next year.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter is intriguing, but it's going to be a crowded field battling for cornerback. Perhaps the Pack will stash him on the practice squad this year.
It's a risk the pack will have to take with Gunter (waiver). Cornerback is crowded. Another Starks-like guy to spell Lacy is important. I like Crockett, and that's gonna be a scary good backfield. No one back has to carry it all, and they're always subbing rested players. Yeah, I like that.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hooks has the destructive, quick, low bowling ball body type. reminds me of what i thought when daniels was drafted in the 5th a few years back. good pick.
Yeah and I don't think he'll clear waivers to get to the PS. The Daniels comparison is good - low center of gravity and incredible burst off the snap. Indeed, a lot like Daniels.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have a history of keeping undrafted cornerbacks and turning them into starters with both Tramon Williams and Sam Shields entering the league as UDFAs. Gunter is still a longshot to make the team but if he outplays his competition the coaching staff isn´t afraid to let him play.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like his passion and heart. Most lesser men would have packed it in after an injury. Crockett didn't.

Not sure what you´re talking about as Crockett got injured during the first day of minicamp and didn´t practice afterwards anymore. I´m intrigued by him as well and he will get a chance to compete with Rajion Neal for the third running back spot on the 53.

Yeah and I don't think he'll clear waivers to get to the PS. The Daniels comparison is good - low center of gravity and incredible burst off the snap. Indeed, a lot like Daniels.

Lavon Hooks is a longshot to even be considered for the practice squad.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hence, Hooks is a perfect choice for a sleeper thread. :)

I get it, you made a similar comment on the first page of this thread. Nevertheless Rasco and Hooks will most likely not even make it to the practice squad, so it will be impossible for them to have any impact.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly. This thread is supposed to be about "sleepers" - guys who are longshots - that might surprise people. Once upon a time, Sam Shields was a sleeper. Who might be the next Sam Shields?

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sherman never seemed to be able to find many sleepers in his tenure...

I think Gunter makes the team and I'm pulling for Dantzler though he's a guy that trouble might have a way of finding. He looks like he could be a strong tackler and playmaker in space if his head is screwed on straight which I have no idea about. It'll be really tough for these guys to emerge much in one year.

Does Janis qualify as a sleeper candidate? He gets a lot of love from fans but he remains a raw player with high upside. If Jordy were to go down Janis might not need too many opportunities to make the most of them given his size, speed and supporting cast that might give him some pretty good match-ups to attack.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sherman never seemed to be able to find many sleepers in his tenure...

I think Gunter makes the team and I'm pulling for Dantzler though he's a guy that trouble might have a way of finding. He looks like he could be a strong tackler and playmaker in space if his head is screwed on straight which I have no idea about. It'll be really tough for these guys to emerge much in one year.

Does Janis qualify as a sleeper candidate? He gets a lot of love from fans but he remains a raw player with high upside. If Jordy were to go down Janis might not need too many opportunities to make the most of them given his size, speed and supporting cast that might give him some pretty good match-ups to attack.

I was thinking more of little-known rookie candidates as sleepers, but Janis is one of those guys a lot of people are pulling for. He has the one thing you can't get from coaching or the weight room: raw speed. It takes more than that to make it in the NFL of course, but if they can "coach him up" and he learns route-running, he could turn out to be an asset.

Sherman looks like a sleeper himself in the photo, perhaps that's why he didn't find many.

H

HardRightEdge

For some reason, every time I've looked at this thread's headline Jake Ryan has popped into my head. I'll go with him.

He's a Big Ten guy so he's played against decent competition. He started 41 games for Michigan, so he's well-seasoned. He looks like a savvy player who will know where he's supposed to be, which is more than half the battle at ILB. His career tackles for loss (44.5) and forced fumbles (7) indicate a good nose for the ball. That 4.65 Combine time is not too shabby either.

He's not the second coming Pat Willis, but he looks like he'll be a solid player.

It's imperative that somebody establish himself at ILB in 2015. With Peppers getting on in years and Perry and Neal being in their contract years, Matthews may be required on the edge full time come 2016.

The need and opportunity are clearly there, and the competition is a sketchy numbers game.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You have it right. Please remember that the average IQ of some posters here is around 15. It requires you to say the same thing 5 or 6 times. It's not worth it. You can probably tell who these morons are after awhile, and it pays to just ignore them.

That's uncalled for.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, but "sleeper" to do what, exactly? Sleeper to make the roster or the PS and never make a game day active roster?

Your prediction could be simultaneously correct and wholly irrelevant.

To make a sleeper pick relevant, he should be seeing the field, and to have the pick pan out he simply needs to do more than was reasonably expected. That can't happen if the guy never plays.

Besides, if one was looking for a Daniels lookalike who does qualify as a sleeper, why not go up the food chain to Ringo? Nobody seems to be thinking much about him, but with 2 D-linemen likely on suspension for opening day, and one beyond that, he might get a chance to make his mark in rotation.

I like Ryan because the expectation is for him to be a serviceable rotational player when Matthews is not inside. He could do more than that.

Or looked at another way, if somebody had picked Linsley as the sleeper last season, I'd say he'd be the winner.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but "sleeper" to do what, exactly? Sleeper to make the roster or the PS and never make a game day active roster?

Your prediction could be simultaneously correct and wholly irrelevant.

To make a sleeper pick relevant, he should be seeing the field, and to have the pick pan out he simply needs to do more than was reasonably expected. That can't happen if the guy never plays.

Besides, if one was looking for a Daniels lookalike who does qualify as a sleeper, why not go up the food chain to Ringo? Nobody seems to be thinking much about him, but with 2 D-linemen likely on suspension for opening day, and one beyond that, he might get a chance to make his mark in rotation.

I like Ryan because the expectation is for him to be a serviceable rotational player when Matthews is not inside. He could do more than that.

Or looked at another way, if somebody had picked Linsley as the sleeper last season, I'd say he'd be the winner.
i got hooks and ringo mixed up... i seen a lotof daniels in ringo. hooks is a solid sleeper too.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but yea, im stuck in da woods with very little service. i meant to gush over ringo earlier. he really impressed me on paper. i think he could come in as an after thought, and earn a starting job opposite daniels by next year. strong, quick, 300 pound rookie de's always interest me. but he seems better than most.

Members online

Latest posts