Who's Your Sleeper?

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well my sleeper was cut, proves I don't know crap.

Don't feel bad, I thought Collins might show us something too. He just couldn't get off the PUP list, and the Pack have a lot of receivers to look at.

My sleeper, Lavon Hooks, is still around, although he hasn't been spectacular. Anyone who chose LaDarius Gunter as their sleeper may be on to something.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, I thought Collins might show us something too. He just couldn't get off the PUP list, and the Pack have a lot of receivers to look at.

My sleeper, Lavon Hooks, is still around, although he hasn't been spectacular. Anyone who chose LaDarius Gunter as their sleeper may be on to something.
I agree on Gunter, hope he turns into something.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My sleeper (Ty Montgomery) was meh. He looks like he has a lot to learn.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on Gunter, hope he turns into something.

So do I, I like his size. He didn't have the fastest forty-time, but then neither did Micah Hyde. Gunter could be a keeper.

On the subject of cornerbacks, I thought Rollins looked pretty good also. I know the receivers New England played weren't exactly elite, and Garappolo isn't Tom Brady, but still I thought #24 did some good things. Hopefully we'll get to see Randall next week.

H

HardRightEdge

I liked what I saw of Gaston. While he was playing against fellow bubble players, he also happened to be playing side-by-side with Jones at nickel DT, and he looked more dynamic in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Coyne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wouldn't really be a sleeper I suppose but 4th round is still "maybe" territory. Certainly he makes the team. If he becomes an every-down player as Linsley did last year AND excels to the level Linsley did, that would make him a sleeper pick I suppose.

My sleeper is John Crockett. It will be a stretch if he makes the roster and then an even bigger stretch if he makes a big impact. The latter only happens if Lacy and/or Starks are forced to miss playing time. I do think he could ultimately replace Starks next year.
I love Crockett. Really would love to see him make the squad. I also like Gunter at CB. Based on what I have read and what I saw the other night he could be a contributor.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think my sleeper is a sleeper anymore. I LOVED Gunter from his play at The U. I loved his size and just his smooth play and ball hawking. I think he will not only make the team but play and eventually start opposite Shields next year if not sometime this year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sherman never seemed to be able to find many sleepers in his tenure...

I think Gunter makes the team and I'm pulling for Dantzler though he's a guy that trouble might have a way of finding. He looks like he could be a strong tackler and playmaker in space if his head is screwed on straight which I have no idea about. It'll be really tough for these guys to emerge much in one year.

Does Janis qualify as a sleeper candidate? He gets a lot of love from fans but he remains a raw player with high upside. If Jordy were to go down Janis might not need too many opportunities to make the most of them given his size, speed and supporting cast that might give him some pretty good match-ups to attack.

The thing is, that picture is a perfect representation of Sherman's tenure as general manager.

H

HardRightEdge

So how is the Thorton, Ringo fighting for jobs coming?
I'd say not well so far. To my eye, Pennel and Gaston have those guys beat out.

Daniels, Guion, Raji, Boyd, Jones, Pennel and Gaston are looking like the final 7...if they keep 7 which is probably a good bet with 2 guys sitting out week 1 and Guion sitting for 3 weeks.

Maybe they get a brief reprieve in order to keep the active roster at 53 since there is a minor rule advantage in doing so.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd say not well so far. To my eye, Pennel and Gaston have those guys beat out.

Daniels, Guion, Raji, Boyd, Jones, Pennel and Gaston are looking like the final 7...if they keep 7 which is probably a good bet with 2 guys sitting out week 1 and Guion sitting for 3 weeks.

Maybe they get a brief reprieve in order to keep the active roster at 53 since there is a minor rule advantage in doing so.

With Jones and Guion not counting against the roster limit in week 1 I expect the Packers to keep 53 on the active roster. It´s possible either Thornton or Ringo will make the final cut because of it but I don´t see any of them stay on it once Jones is eligible to return.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He wasn’t anyone’s sleeper (at least from the search I did in this thread), but Josh Walker could be just what the doctor ordered: An adequate now perhaps good backup OT in the future. Jsonline had a good story on him yesterday:
Barclay, in exhibition starts at right tackle and left tackle covering 83 snaps, has been charged with three sacks, six hurries and two holding penalties. In his 75 snaps (38 at right tackle, 34 at right guard and three at left tackle), Walker has been charged with no sacks, two hurries and one false-start penalty.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-offensive-lineman-b99565345z1-323174301.html

Making a contrast with the still recovering Barclay may not be fair but it looks like Walker has surpassed the other OTs vying for a backup spot.
Walker took over for Bryan Bulaga at right tackle late in the second quarter in Pittsburgh and spent the next 20 plays matched against former Kentucky outside linebacker Bud Dupree (6-4, 269), an athletic phenom with a 4.61 40 and a 42-inch vertical jump who was drafted with the 22nd pick in April. … Dupree emptied his arsenal on 17 pass plays, settled for one hurry and appeared somewhat frustrated. Walker kept shoving his edge rushes wide of Scott Tolzien. He also blotted out Dupree on a bull rush, adjusted nicely to handle a slashing inside charge and passed off an end-tackle stunt as if it was second nature. "I thought he did very well against (Dupree)," Campen said. "Dupree is 260 and has some juice."
Walker will get his first reps against another team’s starters so it’s a big test for him. He’s certainly inexperienced at OT and he may be a little stiff but with his size and strength he could contribute over the next several years. And as I mentioned in another thread, he could contribute right away as an extra blocker in short yardage.
Just seven of Walker's 30 snaps were running plays but he made the most of them. There is video of him displacing two linemen on the goal line, combo-blocking easily to the linebacker level and displaying some nasty working to finish.

Axioms Sports

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jean Fanor is a sleeper for sure. No one ever talks about him, but #20 makes plays all over the field.

H

HardRightEdge

Jean Fanor is a sleeper for sure. No one ever talks about him, but #20 makes plays all over the field.
He does seem to be around the ball quite a bit. But with 3 safties and 2 other guys who can flex there (Hyde, Randall) it looks like he's just trying to beat out Banjo, a special teams guy.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Too funny. My sleeper didn't even make it through the first round of cuts. Lavon Hooks just got the axe. I am so bad at prognosticating these sleeper guys.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm tempted to pick a replacement sleeper but I'd hate to jinx him.

Reaction score
Rajion Neal looks fantastic at whatever he's doing. I think he's gonna be a nice compliment to our backfield and an asset to ST

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too funny. My sleeper didn't even make it through the first round of cuts. Lavon Hooks just got the axe. I am so bad at prognosticating these sleeper guys.

He was mine as well. Oops.

I'm shamelessly jumping on the Ladarius Gunter bandwagon.

Members online

Latest posts