Who else thinks Monty is going to be a special back?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I don't think it matters is he is "special" we just need one or two running backs to hold onto the ball and catch the dump off. Considering we only have 3 million into the position, as long as rodgers is not our leading rusher, all we should care about is that whoever plays that position protects Rodgers and holds onto the football.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
all we should care about is that whoever plays that position protects Rodgers

That might be the part that costs Monty some snaps. Hopefully, he will get his pass blocking assignments down, but from what I have read, he is struggling so far. I can see Monty becoming the Packers 3rd down back, primarily used in obvious passing downs. While that takes a bit of the element of surprise away as to what Monty will be doing, it might be the most effective way to use him. I also don't mind if on 3rd and 5, AR sees a favorable defensive formation to audible off to a quick handoff to Monty to keep the defense honest.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Monty will get the pass protection down soon enough, he seems like a really smart/intelligent person. I have high hopes for him this season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it matters is he is "special" we just need one or two running backs to hold onto the ball and catch the dump off. Considering we only have 3 million into the position, as long as rodgers is not our leading rusher, all we should care about is that whoever plays that position protects Rodgers and holds onto the football.

that may be true but whether anyone thinks hes special or not he has a realistic chance to have a special statistical season for a packers running back. he had 457 yards on 77 carries in 2016 assumming he gets anywhere close to the 246 or 284 carries lacy got his first 2 seasons, so 200 plus carries. there is no reason to think he wont eclipse lacy's high of 1178 in 2013. meanwhile as a reciever he went for 44 for 348. seems perfectly reasonable to think he could go 60 for 500 in 2017. scoring 10 tds rushing and 5 recieving also seems reasonable. if he went 226 carries for 1243 avg 5.5 and 10 td and 57 catches for 502 yards avg 8.8 and 5 tds i would not be surprised assuming he stays healthy. that stat line would make him only the 2nd packers running back in the brett favre/aaron rodgers era to go for over 1200 rushing and 500 recieving. the other ahman green in 2001.

D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't matter how much cap space the Packers have allocated to the running back position as the team definitely needs a decent rushing attack to keep defenses honest.

That might be the part that costs Monty some snaps. Hopefully, he will get his pass blocking assignments down, but from what I have read, he is struggling so far. I can see Monty becoming the Packers 3rd down back, primarily used in obvious passing downs.

Montgomery won't receive a ton if snaps on third down if he doesn't improve in pass protection.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how much cap space the Packers have allocated to the running back position as the team definitely needs a decent rushing attack to keep defenses honest.

Montgomery won't receive a ton if snaps on third down if he doesn't improve in pass protection.

I would think it would be "safer" to conclude, unless he improves, Monty won't be taking a lot of snaps when he is expected to stay in and block.

Reaction score
Williams has reportedly been great in pass pro. I'm wondering how he ends up turning out for us, and if he will eclipse Monty as a RB. I love Monty, but I still think I'd rather have him as a WR once Jordy and Cobb are both gone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True, but that might happen a lot on third down.

Agreed. Although, the Packers run an empty set or one back formation enough on 3rd down, that either sending Monty out or handing him the ball off might work. However, if he is asked to pick up a blitz, could be lights out.

For the Packers to benefit the most from having a back like Monty who can create matchup problems to cover, he really needs to prove to defenses that he may or may not stay back to block. That was one aspect of Cobb in the backfield that became obvious, yes, occasionally he got the ball on a handoff, but for the most part, the defense knew he was crossing the line up scrimmage, with or without the ball.

I keep reading blurbs about Christian McCaffrey in Carolina, the press and his teammates are convinced that nobody will be able to single cover him when he is sent out of the backfield to run a route.

D

Deleted member 6794

Williams has reportedly been great in pass pro. I'm wondering how he ends up turning out for us, and if he will eclipse Monty as a RB. I love Monty, but I still think I'd rather have him as a WR once Jordy and Cobb are both gone.

I truly believe Montgomery is best suited to line up at running back. In addition I fully expect Nelson and Cobb to be around until Ty's rookie contract expires.

Reaction score
I truly believe Montgomery is best suited to line up at running back. In addition I fully expect Nelson and Cobb to be around until Ty's rookie contract expires.
It's not unreasonable to think that Cobb and Nelson might stick around another two years (before going FA and retiring, respectively, if that indeed happens for Cobb), though if Cobb has another down year I could totally see them either requiring a restructuring or cutting him for cap space. Either way, I like Monty, and I love him as a tough and physical WR.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think it would be "safer" to conclude, unless he improves, Monty won't be taking a lot of snaps when he is expected to stay in and block.
I still feel like keeping Monty back to block, is like sending bahk out for a pass...
We have tes that can sit back and block, while Monty goes out for the pass or dump off.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One thing that might surprise some people is Williams receiving ability. He only caught 7 balls last year, which makes it seem like he isn't a threat in that area. However, Taysom Hill was his quarterback. Mobile QB's tend to run rather than check down. They often suppress RB catch numbers.

This is of course not to say that he's as good as Montgomery. But he's underrated based on what I saw at BYU.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that might surprise some people is Williams receiving ability. He only caught 7 balls last year, which makes it seem like he isn't a threat in that area. However, Taysom Hill was his quarterback. Mobile QB's tend to run rather than check down. They often suppress RB catch numbers.

This is of course not to say that he's as good as Montgomery. But he's underrated based on what I saw at BYU.
I saw Williams make some quality catches. Ran a route and caught one in the end zone in traffic, and I saw him making one downfield.

H

HardRightEdge

I know but I used to be one of the guys staunchest supporters and I'm wearing some egg because of it. I want to believe it's been a talent/ injury deal but I'm starting to think the league has maybe passed him by. Hopefully I'm wrong...
Well, a couple of training camps back Capers simplified the play calling and there as been less obvious confusion on the field since. So, we've got that going for us. Still, there's a lot packed into that development that should never have been in the first place. Now they draft players with above average Wonderlic scores so Capers can go back to tinkering. They spend a #1 pick on a safety to play cornerback because he played basketball. It's a journey down a road with no clear end point.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not unreasonable to think that Cobb and Nelson might stick around another two years (before going FA and retiring, respectively, if that indeed happens for Cobb), though if Cobb has another down year I could totally see them either requiring a restructuring or cutting him for cap space. Either way, I like Monty, and I love him as a tough and physical WR.

While Cobb hasn't performed up to the contract he signed in 2015 by any means he's still a valuable asset to the Packers offense. I would be in favor of restructuring his deal but the front office hardly ever approaches players to make such a move.

Wimm are u the same wimm from psd

No.

I still feel like keeping Monty back to block, is like sending bahk out for a pass...
We have tes that can sit back and block, while Monty goes out for the pass or dump off.

Opponents would be able to perfectly adjust knowing that Montgomery doesn't stay in to pass protect on the majority of the snaps.

They spend a #1 pick on a safety to play cornerback because he played basketball. It's a journey down a road with no clear end point.

I don't believe Randall ever played basketball.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that may be true but whether anyone thinks hes special or not he has a realistic chance to have a special statistical season for a packers running back. he had 457 yards on 77 carries in 2016 assumming he gets anywhere close to the 246 or 284 carries lacy got his first 2 seasons, so 200 plus carries. there is no reason to think he wont eclipse lacy's high of 1178 in 2013. meanwhile as a reciever he went for 44 for 348. seems perfectly reasonable to think he could go 60 for 500 in 2017. scoring 10 tds rushing and 5 recieving also seems reasonable. if he went 226 carries for 1243 avg 5.5 and 10 td and 57 catches for 502 yards avg 8.8 and 5 tds i would not be surprised assuming he stays healthy. that stat line would make him only the 2nd packers running back in the brett favre/aaron rodgers era to go for over 1200 rushing and 500 recieving. the other ahman green in 2001.
he is very capable of 60 catches but dry unlikely. Nelson, Cobb, Adams, and Bennett are all capable of 100 catches as well. Kendrick and Allison are capable of 50. Chip in another 75 from Rodgers, our FB, other RBs, and other WR and you are up to 600+ receptions on the season. Not enough Rodgers passes to go around.

I think Ty will not be as effective if he is used too much. I think he will end up with 150 carries on the year and 40 receptions. I think Jamaal will have more carries. Jones makes the team and Mays make the practice squad.

Members online

Latest posts