Who else thinks Monty is going to be a special back?

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ready to get flamed for this. But I think we are in for a disappointment. Last year was a surprise to everyone. Thiis year everyone has film.
I am not into flaming on this site. Things tend to stay above board which is one of the reasons I keep coming back. Everyone has a right to their opinion no matter how stupid or ridiculous it may be... Buahahaha! I had to...

I can see where you are coming from but don't think having tape on someone matters as much with RB's as you believe it to be. Furthermore, we aren't talking about hundreds and hundreds of carries on tape for DC's to analyze. We are talking about a guy with a total of 105 career totes including the PS. My argument is 88 was still figuring out what the heck he was doing and still is to a certain extent. Things he did last year may be completely gone from his arsenal or greatly changed after an entire off-season of retooling. I honestly don't feel he has any tells of significance at this point and is still very much a wild card for other defenses to plan for week in week out. If DC's are banking on seeing the same 88 they saw last year, good for us.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“It’s who I am,” Montgomery said of the No. 88 per Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “It’s me. It’s been my number, and if I don’t have to change it, why should I?”

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Ty-Montgomery-explains-why-he-wont-change-jersey-number--52895909

Also, the good news with the #88, it reads the same when he is upside down. :coffee:

Personally, I like that he kept it. Shows a bit of attitude and determination, as well as reminding/confusing the defense..."Is he a RB or a WR?"

That tells me he's not all in on RB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Not sure how you conclude that? Because he kept the #88? I guess I might say the opposite from what I have read. Monty has spent the offseason bulking up his body and working with trainers to prepare himself for life as a RB, not a WR.

Considering he was the #4 or #5 WR to start the 2016 season, which would probably be the same this year....a promotion to the #1 RB should be a welcomed position change for most.

H

HardRightEdge

Everything that's been said by the player and the coaches says he prefers playing RB. I don't find any reason to doubt that.

This may be a function of (1) his skill set as a slot/possession-type receiver limits his snaps and targets playing behind Cobb / Nelson (who takes snaps from the slot) / TEs and (2) he's had success with his touches at RB. He is a better RB than WR and people tend to like the things they do best. Heightened injury risk is put on the back burner if it means getting to play.

Keeping 88 is a way to differentiate himself, making him unique, raising his profile. We're talking about it, right? It will be talked about during broadcasts. There's nothing wrong with some "look at me" when done in this way as opposed to other antics such as Beckham's.

The aspect of Montgomery's game that sticks out in my mind is his catching the ball out of the backfield. In the regular season Dallas game, with the downfield passing game out of rhythm, the Packers went to ball control passing in the second half featuring Montgomery who ripped Dallas' slow OLBs. To me, this was his signature performance. As a runner, he tends to run high for vision, like Starks, exposing himself to punishment when mistiming contact.

I agree with Amish's assessment above: it will be running back by committee. I'd expect Montgomery to log around 200 carries (about 12 per game) and 60 catches, assuming he stays healthy. The mix will vary game-to-game based on match ups and to a large extent on whether the Packers can get back to their early-scoring, front running ways. I'd expect Williams to get 2 or 3 possessions per game right out of the box assuming his enthusiastic but fundamentally deficient pass blocking can be cleaned up.

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything that's been said by the player and the coaches says he prefers playing RB. I don't find any reason to doubt that.

This may be a function of (1) his skill set as a slot/possession-type receiver limits his snaps and targets playing behind Cobb / Nelson (who takes snaps from the slot) / TEs and (2) he's had success with his touches at RB. He is a better RB than WR and people tend to like the things they do best. Heightened injury risk is put on the back burner if it means getting to play.

Keeping 88 is a way to differentiate himself, making him unique, raising his profile. We're talking about it, right? It will be talked about during broadcasts. There's nothing wrong with some "look at me" when done in this way as opposed to other antics such as Beckham's.

The aspect of Montgomery's game that sticks out in my mind is his catching the ball out of the backfield. In the regular season Dallas game, with the downfield passing game out of rhythm, the Packers went to ball control passing in the second half featuring Montgomery who ripped Dallas' slow OLBs. To me, this was his signature performance. As a runner, he tends to run high for vision, like Starks, exposing himself to punishment when mistiming contact.

I agree with Amish's assessment above: it will be running back by committee. I'd expect Montgomery to log around 200 carries (about 12 per game) and 60 catches, assuming he stays healthy. The mix will vary game-to-game based on match ups and to a large extent on whether the Packers can get back to their early-scoring, front running ways. I'd expect Williams to get 2 or 3 possessions per game right out of the box assuming his enthusiastic but fundamentally deficient pass blocking can be cleaned up.
This was one of your better posts and I mean that with all due respect. After thinking about it I believe you may have just hit the nail on the head. Well done, sir.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Analyzing the meaning of Montgomery's # choice is easily the low point of the offseason.

Thank goodness training camp is here.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Reminds me so much of RB Gerry Ellis (5'11", 220lbs.) from the 1980's Packers.

Ellis wasn't supposed to be the feature back, but, Eddie Lee Ivery's injuries allowed Ellis plenty of playing time. While never considered elite or "special", in seven seasons Ellis racked up over 3800 yds. rushing (4.6 YPC) with over 2,500 yds. receiving and 35 TD's.

Much like Ellis, Ty Montgomery now takes over for an injured and now departed Lacy, and many fans are not expecting much from Ty.

I believe Monty will be able to at least equal Ellis' career numbers, and I'll be very pleased with that even if it isn't special.

Remember, these Swiss Army knife (run, block, catch) types are loved by MM (Kuhn). With all the rookies at RB, Monty is the only security blanket Rodgers has and I disagree with those calling for the RB by committee approach. Oh, MM will say he is going to spread it around, but, in the heat of battle Monty (or the Ripper) is going to in there, not some rookie. So, I'm calling for Monty to have a big year in 2017, maybe even special.

Yogididit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like Ellis, Ty Montgomery now takes over for an injured and now departed Lacy, and many fans are not expecting much from Ty.

I think the majority of fans think Monty is going to be really good, with more people thinking he's going to be great than those thinking he's going to be terrible.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
From what I can see out of the beat reporters' twitter accounts, seems like Montgomery is spending a lot of time in pass pro work. I continue to think that his ability to pick up the blitz will be the difference in how much he sees the field this season.

H

HardRightEdge

This was one of your better posts and I mean that with all due respect. After thinking about it I believe you may have just hit the nail on the head. Well done, sir.
Well, thanks. I'll take a compliment wherever I can get it. One of my best? Who could possibly rank them all? ;)

OP
OP
SoonerPack

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, thanks. I'll take a compliment wherever I can get it. One of my best? Who could possibly rank them all? ;)
Yeah, I figured you'd be all over my comment like a rat on a Cheeto! We've had plenty of back and forths over the years but that doesn't mean I can't give you a little love when I feel like you knocked one outta the park. Don't get used to it...

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I figured you'd be all over my comment like a rat on a Cheeto! We've had plenty of back and forths over the years but that doesn't mean I can't give you a little love when I feel like you knocked one outta the park. Don't get used to it...
Fire Capers.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OK you two, get a room. :inlove:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a revelation in the Bears game, but I'm wondering if he was less successful in the other games because the openings weren't there, or if he just isn't seeing them or setting them up properly. He needs a lot of touches, one way or another.

Reaction score
Reminds me so much of RB Gerry Ellis (5'11", 220lbs.) from the 1980's Packers.

Ellis wasn't supposed to be the feature back, but, Eddie Lee Ivery's injuries allowed Ellis plenty of playing time. While never considered elite or "special", in seven seasons Ellis racked up over 3800 yds. rushing (4.6 YPC) with over 2,500 yds. receiving and 35 TD's.

I believe Monty will be able to at least equal Ellis' career numbers, and I'll be very pleased with that even if it isn't special.

Remember, these Swiss Army knife (run, block, catch) types are loved by MM (Kuhn). With all the rookies at RB, Monty is the only security blanket Rodgers has and I disagree with those calling for the RB by committee approach. Oh, MM will say he is going to spread it around, but, in the heat of battle Monty (or the Ripper) is going to in there, not some rookie. So, I'm calling for Monty to have a big year in 2017, maybe even special.
I remember Gary Ellis, he was built like a FB and looked like 235 pounds but that was most likely him being 5'11. I remember him being a very solid RB and his claim to fame was his durability.
I believe that Ty showed with his limited 50+ rushing snaps that if he remains relatively healthy (~13+ games/season) he can be deluxe model of Gary Ellis.
With ~13+ games I predict we'll see him at
800+ Rushing
300+ receiving
8+ TDs
Those estimates will rise or fall according to the number of snaps he gets, of course.
I think his nitch could be to carry the ball 15 or so times/game to keep him fresh and utilize him as a receiver also. Also we might just be surprised and see him get a split workload at RB if Jamaal or one of the other draft picks rise up. Sometimes a tandem can be more effective than a workhorse.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems to me that a lot of Packers fans expect way too much out of Montgomery entering 2017. Heck, there were even posters comparing hin to Le'Veon Bell during last season.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see him as Marshall Faulk type, atlhough not as good as Marshall...

I would expect him to be the kind that can do 1000-1100 yards rushing and 500 rec yards

If he gets his touches

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember comparing his patience to Bell and maybe Hornung, but not running ability with Bell.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see him as Marshall Faulk type, atlhough not as good as Marshall...

I would expect him to be the kind that can do 1000-1100 yards rushing and 500 rec yards

If he gets his touches

I highly doubt Montgomery receives enough touches to put up numbers like that.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard concerns about Montgomery's ability to stay healthy but with him being built like a lot of the top running backs truly believe those are irrational.

funny you mention that. watched his combine workout video just last week and I couldn't help but notice that his body was built for a back than a receiver.

my money is still on that rookie jamaal.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts